Author Topic: What did you do to your car today?  (Read 3017537 times)

Offline ChaosphereIX

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +187/-377
  • Wont run with the pack
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Jaguar XJR-L
Re: What did you do to your car today?
« Reply #10360 on: January 07, 2019, 05:54:34 pm »
Finally did an oil change. 5w40 Castrol. Car seems to like it.
If driving an Alfa does not restore vitality to your soul, then just pass the hospital and park at the morgue to save everyone time.

Now drives a Jaaaaaaag...and thus will not pay for anything during an outing...but it is OK, because....I drive a Jaaaaaag.

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +245/-468
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Hyundai Entourage, 2007 Buick Lucerne
« Reply #10361 on: January 09, 2019, 07:06:46 pm »
Been a couple of months since the Entourage has been vacuumed.  Brought out the shop vac.  Put on the gloves.  1/2 hour sorting the stuff inside, 1/2 hour vacuuming.  Wipe down the surfaces tomorrow. 

Offline ChaosphereIX

• Car Crazy
  • Wont run with the pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #10362 on: January 09, 2019, 08:21:32 pm »
Cleared the CEL again. So the Catalyst is dying. Time for a spacer and some race headers! Because race car!

Offline Firm

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +232/-1072
  • Urban Hick
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 XKR, 2007 DTS, 2006 Escalade, 2000 Sonoma ZQ8,1996 Firebird, 1996 Firebird Formula, 1985 Trans Am, 1984 Camaro, 1978 MGB x2
« Reply #10363 on: January 09, 2019, 08:37:35 pm »
Cleared the CEL again. So the Catalyst is dying. Time for a spacer and some race headers! Because race car!

Thanks Dougie  ;D

Offline blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +244/-779
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
  • Cars: and bikes by age:BMW, Porsche, Subaru, Suzuki, Suzuki, Mazda, Jaguar, Kawasaki, Porsche, GMC, Suzuki
« Reply #10364 on: January 09, 2019, 08:40:08 pm »

If the cat isn't plugging up just add a spacer and get rid of the CEL.  Cheaper and easier, or is that what you meant?

https://www.amazon.com/Pack-Sensor-Spacer-Adapter-Extender/dp/B00CBKOP7G
Mr Pickypants

Offline ChaosphereIX

• Car Crazy
  • Wont run with the pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #10365 on: January 09, 2019, 10:01:49 pm »

If the cat isn't plugging up just add a spacer and get rid of the CEL.  Cheaper and easier, or is that what you meant?

The cat is buzzing and rattling around, and I bet it is going to cause havoc with my mufflers and resonator if bits get stuck downstream. It has gotta go.

a spacer is ordered, as are new headers

vroom!

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7213
    • View Profile
« Reply #10366 on: January 09, 2019, 10:02:50 pm »

The cat is buzzing and rattling around, and I bet it is going to cause havoc with my mufflers and resonator if bits get stuck downstream. It has gotta go.

vroom!

You sure it's not the heat shield that surrounds the exhaust/cat?
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline ChaosphereIX

• Car Crazy
  • Wont run with the pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #10367 on: January 09, 2019, 10:21:43 pm »

vroom!

I will get it on the hoist tomorrow morning, but the horrible sound, only on throttle, and the resurgence of the CEL cat failure code seem to be pointing to one thing...

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #10368 on: January 09, 2019, 10:23:06 pm »

vroom!

I will get it on the hoist tomorrow morning, but the horrible sound, only on throttle, and the resurgence of the CEL cat failure code seem to be pointing to one thing...

A bad o2 sensor often will give the same fault code...

Offline ChaosphereIX

• Car Crazy
  • Wont run with the pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #10369 on: January 09, 2019, 10:26:41 pm »

vroom!

I already replaced that. Both of them with expensive OEM ones. No change.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #10370 on: January 09, 2019, 10:27:44 pm »

vroom!

I already replaced that. Both of them with expensive OEM ones. No change.

Oh..you don't need to replace them...just run a diagnostic and read the wAve forms.....but I guess its too late for that now..LOL

Offline draghon

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +20/-27
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Mine [07 Civic SI coupe] Wife [23 Sienna XSE AWD]
« Reply #10371 on: January 11, 2019, 12:52:46 pm »
Went to start my car after work last night, clutch in and heard a faint pop or snapping sound. Suddenly transmission is very difficult to get in gear and I have to rev match to change gears. Similar thing happpened a few years ago and it ended up being the clutch master cylinder. I suspect something similar this time. Dropped it off at a local indy shop this morning and turns out part of the clutch pedal assembly snapped! Its a $300+ part and is backordered. Luckily they are able to weld it up and I'm back on thr road for under $90.

Is that a semi-permanent fix, or just something to tide you over until the new part comes in?

Supposed to be permanent, time will tell I guess.

Well, it broke again this morning so I guess I need to source a new pedal assembly...  :shuffle:
ex rides: 93 Aerostar XLT AWD
wife ex rides: 07 Wave base, 11 Tiguan Comfortline with sport package, 14 Acadia SLE II AWD

Online Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +269/-457
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mazda CX-5
« Reply #10372 on: January 11, 2019, 01:20:20 pm »
Get one off a Junkyard 8th gen SI, and give it to your Indy.  Start calling around to all the wreckers in town.

Offline ChaosphereIX

• Car Crazy
  • Wont run with the pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #10373 on: January 11, 2019, 08:40:36 pm »
Got my new cat and headers on their way, from a local place in North York actually. Surprised that one of the best aftermarket solutions for a British...err German car is from Toronto, Canada.

Looking forward to getting it in along with all the other parts...so many parts...to get Sandra the Mini all ready for her show and shine.

Offline BWII

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +188/-376
    • View Profile
« Reply #10374 on: January 11, 2019, 09:25:34 pm »
Figured I'd replace the MAF and air filter on the Sonic...found this:

Yay!

How do yo fix this when it's Friday at 6 pm? Red Green style, that's how!  ;D

Installed in the car.  Was a seriously PITA to get it off the throttle body...need bendy hands. Once it came off, it's like Why!?  :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: Fack!! Went on like butter on a bun.  :P ::)

Kinda makes me wonder if maybe the MAF wasn't bad after all...oh well, it's in there now.  We'll see about replacing that hose.  $70 Cdn through Rock Auto - I'll give my friend a chance or maybe the GM dealer...though they probably can't come close.  Or I'll just leave it duct taped, forever.

Online Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +269/-457
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mazda CX-5
« Reply #10375 on: January 11, 2019, 09:52:23 pm »
Is that break before or after the MAF?

If it was after, then it would definitely be contributing to the code.

Offline BWII

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +188/-376
    • View Profile
« Reply #10376 on: January 11, 2019, 09:56:32 pm »
After, the MAF is in the airbox after the filter, before the hose.  Should probably change oil but it's probably been this way for a long time.  No way I just did that today (considering I've only had the filter out once - last weekend, and apparently haven't ever changed it). I'm a 100 percent positive...but I'm willing to negotiate down...

Offline ChaosphereIX

• Car Crazy
  • Wont run with the pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #10377 on: January 11, 2019, 10:48:13 pm »
If you were in Ottawa I could help you out, as I work in GM parts.
Rockauto is best bet, or custom silicone tubing might be cheap too if you find a manufacturer locally.

Offline blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +244/-779
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
  • Cars: and bikes by age:BMW, Porsche, Subaru, Suzuki, Suzuki, Mazda, Jaguar, Kawasaki, Porsche, GMC, Suzuki
« Reply #10378 on: January 12, 2019, 08:08:04 am »
Got my new cat and headers on their way, from a local place in North York actually. Surprised that one of the best aftermarket solutions for a British...err German car is from Toronto, Canada.

Is it MufflerExpress?

Offline ChaosphereIX

• Car Crazy
  • Wont run with the pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #10379 on: January 12, 2019, 10:15:30 pm »

Is it MufflerExpress?
AB Catalytic via Ultra Exhaust.