Author Topic: What did you do to your car today?  (Read 3017604 times)

Offline Firm

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +232/-1072
  • Urban Hick
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 XKR, 2007 DTS, 2006 Escalade, 2000 Sonoma ZQ8,1996 Firebird, 1996 Firebird Formula, 1985 Trans Am, 1984 Camaro, 1978 MGB x2
Re: What did you do to your car today?
« Reply #10300 on: January 04, 2019, 08:02:43 am »
I've still got two outstanding recalls on the Ram I need to take it in for...Low priority right now :P

I've only driven the DTS 2 or 3 times in the last month due to the holidays, and having a presser around pretty consistently, so I plugged it into a charger/maintainer yesterday to top up the battery.

Offline Seafoam

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +89/-202
    • View Profile
« Reply #10301 on: January 04, 2019, 08:27:06 am »
Apparently never!  :o I can't find it in my records.  :think: Weird.  So 106,000 km and 6 yrs! Buying one tomorrow.  The MAFS is/was clean as a whistle but I cleaned it anyway.

Maybe your gas mileage will increase as a result. Was the filter very dirty?
2023 Honda Civic EX-B
2004 Mazdaspeed Miata

Offline ChaosphereIX

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +187/-377
  • Wont run with the pack
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Jaguar XJR-L
« Reply #10302 on: January 04, 2019, 09:10:25 am »
Took the Mini in for a recall on the airbag sensor. Could tell service guy was salivating seeing a R53 pull in and tried upselling hard...at first. When he realized I knew what I was talking about and worked in the business he stopped pretty quick. Will see how their service goes today.

stealership was already open this morning?  What did he want to do? replace the crank seal?
Wanted an inspection service, an intake cleaning service (Seafoam, Bk44?) and to do "diagnose" my TPMS light and fix it. Would not tell me how much the last one was, but I said no way to all of them.

I know what is wrong with my car, and I will pay my tech at my own shop to do it. He works for beer.

Update: Well that was a short visit. They went ahead and replaced the airbag seat pad thing, and then could not get the pad to talk to the ECU. Could not connect at all. My handheld connected to the ECU just fine. Their huge proprietary unit? Nothing. So the airbag light is on and they are out of ideas. So I told them they have two weeks to figure it out on their end, and I will be back for the fix, or they can put my old one back in.

::)

Not impressed.
If driving an Alfa does not restore vitality to your soul, then just pass the hospital and park at the morgue to save everyone time.

Now drives a Jaaaaaaag...and thus will not pay for anything during an outing...but it is OK, because....I drive a Jaaaaaag.

Offline Gurgie

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-518
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Honda Passport Touring
« Reply #10303 on: January 04, 2019, 09:19:20 am »
Took the Mini in for a recall on the airbag sensor. Could tell service guy was salivating seeing a R53 pull in and tried upselling hard...at first. When he realized I knew what I was talking about and worked in the business he stopped pretty quick. Will see how their service goes today.

stealership was already open this morning?  What did he want to do? replace the crank seal?
Wanted an inspection service, an intake cleaning service (Seafoam, Bk44?) and to do "diagnose" my TPMS light and fix it. Would not tell me how much the last one was, but I said no way to all of them.

I know what is wrong with my car, and I will pay my tech at my own shop to do it. He works for beer.

Update: Well that was a short visit. They went ahead and replaced the airbag seat pad thing, and then could not get the pad to talk to the ECU. Could not connect at all. My handheld connected to the ECU just fine. Their huge proprietary unit? Nothing. So the airbag light is on and they are out of ideas. So I told them they have two weeks to figure it out on their end, and I will be back for the fix, or they can put my old one back in.

Not impressed.

Really!?!? They can't figure it out? Mini on Carling?
You live everyday. You only die once....

Offline Blueprint

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +170/-232
  • member since way back when
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 Mazda CX-90 GS-L PHEV, 2022 Subaru Crosstrek Limited, 1975 Triumph TR6
« Reply #10304 on: January 04, 2019, 09:21:26 am »
I've still got two outstanding recalls on the Ram I need to take it in for...Low priority right now :P

I've only driven the DTS 2 or 3 times in the last month due to the holidays, and having a presser around pretty consistently, so I plugged it into a charger/maintainer yesterday to top up the battery.

RAM? Did I miss something?
Traffic engineer/project manager & part time auto journalist

Offline Gurgie

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-518
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Honda Passport Touring
« Reply #10305 on: January 04, 2019, 09:25:27 am »

It's the Canadian Tire RAM... work truck, not personal... please keep up  :stick:  :rofl:

Offline ChaosphereIX

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +187/-377
  • Wont run with the pack
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Jaguar XJR-L
« Reply #10306 on: January 04, 2019, 09:27:49 am »

Not impressed.

Really!?!? They can't figure it out? Mini on Carling?

Yep.

Offline Firm

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +232/-1072
  • Urban Hick
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 XKR, 2007 DTS, 2006 Escalade, 2000 Sonoma ZQ8,1996 Firebird, 1996 Firebird Formula, 1985 Trans Am, 1984 Camaro, 1978 MGB x2
« Reply #10307 on: January 04, 2019, 09:52:34 am »

It's the Canadian Tire RAM... work truck, not personal... please keep up  :stick:  :rofl:

Lol, correct. It's also seldom used because it's 'roling 35"s' and doesn't fit in the garage at work - so no point in commuting in it.

Offline BWII

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +188/-376
    • View Profile
« Reply #10308 on: January 04, 2019, 01:14:07 pm »
Apparently never!  :o I can't find it in my records.  :think: Weird.  So 106,000 km and 6 yrs! Buying one tomorrow.  The MAFS is/was clean as a whistle but I cleaned it anyway.

Maybe your gas mileage will increase as a result. Was the filter very dirty?

Yeah, who knows.  I just can't believe I never bought a filter for it.  Fusion and truck get one every year...this thing...guess it was a lot of WhoTFCs.  :P  It wasn't horribly dirty, barely got any dust out of it, but still...6 yrs is a long time.

Friend who works at Piston Ring contacted his friend who works across the street (GM guru) - said unplug it and drive it.  If it doesn't do whatever it was doing, it's the MAF.  So this AM I unplugged it and drove to work...and sure enough, no sputter lugging from low in 2nd past 2000 RPM.  Just pulled and off she went.  Racecar!  No heat though.  Full boil and was only keeping it comfy in the cabin.  Not burn your face off like normal.  So I guess I won't be not replacing the MAF.  Guess there's more connected to it than just reading the air.

So, I called the GM dealer...$110.75 for the MAF, and $45 (WTF!?!?!!  :o) for an air filter.  C'mon!  WIX is $56 he says. About $175 all in.  Or you could cheap out on a POS he wouldn't use to filter gravel in his wheelbarrow for about $19. Yeah, no.  Agree there.

Checked with my friend at PR...he can't match...he's even higher.  Another WTF.  He says check Rock Auto.  So that's where I'm getting both from.  $88 CDN for both a new air filter and MAF, including shipping.  $2 at the shipping place...and whatever the guys at Customs want to hit me with (hopefully someone I know on duty  ;))  Should be here next week.  Won't have the car here anyway, so suits me fine.

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +289/-389
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 12 Mazda 5 GT 6MT
« Reply #10309 on: January 04, 2019, 04:13:04 pm »
Can't believe you've had the Sonic for that long now.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7213
    • View Profile
« Reply #10310 on: January 04, 2019, 04:49:11 pm »
It was announced today the Sonic is being discontinued.
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +245/-468
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Hyundai Entourage, 2007 Buick Lucerne
« Reply #10311 on: January 04, 2019, 06:39:58 pm »

I have a hood latch recall on the Entourage.  Told me wife to deal with it, car is in her name.  She keeps tell me she wants different responsibilities.  Been at least 3 months..

Offline BWII

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #10312 on: January 04, 2019, 07:35:53 pm »

And I still like it.  A lot.  I'd like it more with air and cruise, but for what its supposed to do, it's great.  This will be the first major expense in 6 yrs... ;D  FTR, I've had the Fusion since Oct 2011, and the truck since Aug 2013...the years just keep flying by. I'll probably live with them for the rest of my life now... :'(  I mean it's almost over by 51 aint it?

It was announced today the Sonic is being discontinued.

:'( https://youtu.be/zay7xGo4PYQ?t=23

It's too bad no one buys small cars...I love small cars.

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #10313 on: January 04, 2019, 08:05:30 pm »

And I still like it.  A lot.  I'd like it more with air and cruise, but for what its supposed to do, it's great.  This will be the first major expense in 6 yrs... ;D  FTR, I've had the Fusion since Oct 2011, and the truck since Aug 2013...the years just keep flying by. I'll probably live with them for the rest of my life now... :'(  I mean it's almost over by 51 aint it?

Only for you

Offline BWII

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #10314 on: January 04, 2019, 08:11:27 pm »

Offline TheHire

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +103/-404
  • Manual Preservation Officer
    • View Profile
    • DoubleClutch.ca Magazine
  • Cars: '07 V8 Vantage 6MT, '91 Diablo, '97 550 Maranello, '91 911 Carrera, '04 S2000, '00 M5, '90 Camry AllTrac, '09 LS 460 AWD, '24 LC 500 Performance, '97 Integra Type R, '24 Santa Fe Calligraphy
« Reply #10315 on: January 05, 2019, 08:49:48 am »
Fired up the 560 SEL in the middle of winter storage (there was no salt on the ground, and I didn't have to leave neighbourhood streets) and moved it to my parents' garage to make room for a new toy in the garage. It's also going up for sale in the spring, as much as I love it.
Resident Connoisseur of Jalopies & Reality Checks

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #10316 on: January 05, 2019, 09:29:13 am »
Fired up the 560 SEL in the middle of winter storage (there was no salt on the ground, and I didn't have to leave neighbourhood streets) and moved it to my parents' garage to make room for a new toy in the garage. It's also going up for sale in the spring, as much as I love it.

How long did you have the 560 SEL?

Offline TheHire

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +103/-404
  • Manual Preservation Officer
    • View Profile
    • DoubleClutch.ca Magazine
  • Cars: '07 V8 Vantage 6MT, '91 Diablo, '97 550 Maranello, '91 911 Carrera, '04 S2000, '00 M5, '90 Camry AllTrac, '09 LS 460 AWD, '24 LC 500 Performance, '97 Integra Type R, '24 Santa Fe Calligraphy
« Reply #10317 on: January 05, 2019, 02:20:54 pm »
About three years. I'd have kept it but I just can't justify it with exorbitant maintenance costs for a car I drive very little (750km in 2018).

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #10318 on: January 05, 2019, 02:50:26 pm »
About three years. I'd have kept it but I just can't justify it with exorbitant maintenance costs for a car I drive very little (750km in 2018).
insurance cost must of been about $1 per km

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #10319 on: January 05, 2019, 06:14:16 pm »
Last winter I broke the rear passenger side door handle on the Hyundai Entourage van.  Damn thing snapped as it was covered in ice.  While shopping online on Amazon, I ordered a new one.  As I had a hard time finding one at the wreckers.  Not a common vehicle, plus they the chrome ones.  Took advantage of the warm weather, and decided to replace it.  What a PITA! So much crap has to come off to get to the door handle.  2 hours later, comes testing.  I press the button, the power sliding door works fine (it worked fine before), I can open it from the inside (it worked fine before).  I pull the handle, little bit of resistance, I pull it a bit harder, damn thing snaps!

To heck with it.  Auto only on both sides.  manual on driver side only.  Sometimes the auto doesn't work, especially in the winter, if this happen, they can go through the driver side!