Author Topic: What did you do to your car today?  (Read 3017764 times)

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +245/-468
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Hyundai Entourage, 2007 Buick Lucerne
Re: What did you do to your car today?
« Reply #10180 on: December 09, 2018, 10:54:28 pm »
Towing my open utility trailer.  Made a right turn at the end of the street, and one more right to head on to the 403 highway on ramp.  Start to hear a noise, and feel the trailer isn't towing smoothly.  I think possible flat tire.  So I pull over on the shoulder of the on ramp (before heading on).  See that the hub assembly is totally damaged.  At this point, I wasn't sure what to do.  New tire won't fix this.  I can't go on the highway, and head to a garage.

I totally believed that happened to you.  Obviously the bearings on that used trailer of yours were never repacked.  :)

For sure.  But to say 99.9% sounds like a fact pulled out of thin air!

AS isn't too far off from the truth IMO. Most people can't be bothered to pull the caps just to look at the condition let alone spoon in more grease/repack them.

I personally used first caps with zerk fittings, then later "bearing buddies" (I think that's what they were called).

So while AS might be pushing it, I'd say 95 percent is a more reasonable number.

I think it depends.  Somebody who uses it for 1/2 the year, would have them serviced ever 2-3 years.  Where as somebody who uses the trailer 3-5 times a year, wouldn't. 

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-6812
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #10181 on: December 10, 2018, 01:18:31 am »
For the classic home 4x8 utility (NOT boat trailers) I will revise my estimate:

99.99% of owners do not pull the hubs of the axle, smash out the bearing, repack with grease, and install new seals which get ruined in the process which are not readily available if at all.

:)

Offline tenpenny

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +137/-305
    • View Profile
« Reply #10182 on: December 10, 2018, 06:05:44 am »

99.99% of owners do not pull the hubs of the axle, smash out the bearing, repack with grease, and install new seals which get ruined in the process which are not readily available if at all.

The seals that fit my utility trailer are in blister packs at Canadian tire, so I don’t think they’re as hard to find as you think.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
My diesel car self-identifies as an electric vehicle.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7213
    • View Profile
« Reply #10183 on: December 10, 2018, 06:42:09 am »

The seals that fit my utility trailer are in blister packs at Canadian tire, so I don’t think they’re as hard to find as you think.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Not super hard to find...

But most people just won't do them...because PITA. FFS...most people won't even change their oil or brakes themselves...

And if I'm honest, I didn't like doing it either...which is why I used the "bearing buddies"
« Last Edit: December 10, 2018, 06:57:24 am by rrocket »
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +289/-389
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 12 Mazda 5 GT 6MT
« Reply #10184 on: December 10, 2018, 08:43:58 am »
I have to pull the battery out of the Civic to test.

Which Civic is this?

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
« Reply #10185 on: December 10, 2018, 08:49:11 am »
Not exactly my car.  But it's somewhat related.

Had 4 dump runs to do yesterday.  Was getting ready to do the first.  Towing my open utility trailer.  Made a right turn at the end of the street, and one more right to head on to the 403 highway on ramp.  Start to hear a noise, and feel the trailer isn't towing smoothly.  I think possible flat tire.  So I pull over on the shoulder of the on ramp (before heading on).  See that the hub assembly is totally damaged.  At this point, I wasn't sure what to do.  New tire won't fix this.  I can't go on the highway, and head to a garage.  CAA won't take care of this. 

So I pulled a U-turn on the on ramp, and went back the way I came.  About 250m.  Luckily, the on ramp wasn't very busy, and it's wide enough so that the 2 cars that did come, could go by me. 

Now I have to find a trailer hub assembly kit, that comes with the bearings, and everything.  And will replace both sides.  Makes some room in the garage on Monday or Tuesday.  And hope to have it done in the garage on Wednesday or Thursday.  Pain in the ass. 

Yikes. I did axles on my old travel trailer, it was quite easy and I had my 8 year old help me too.  At least the new axles had easy to use grease nipples, although had I kept it, I would’ve put on Bearing Buddy.

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +391/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
« Reply #10186 on: December 10, 2018, 08:50:29 am »
Washed it yesterday. Almost back to its original colour. Maybe I should wash it more often?

Offline Arthur Dent

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +186/-80
  • 42?
    • View Profile
« Reply #10187 on: December 10, 2018, 09:57:42 am »
I have to pull the battery out of the Civic to test.

Which Civic is this?

It is the 2003 Civic we used in the Beater Challenge 2017 - it is the kids car now.

Offline PJungnitsch

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +170/-337
    • View Profile
    • Travel in Africa
  • Cars: Subaru Crosstrek, Lexus RX350, Evolve Carbon, Biktrix Juggernaut, Yamaha TW200
« Reply #10188 on: December 10, 2018, 10:13:35 am »
Changed the wipers in the two vehicles. Used Michelin Stealth Hybrids from Costco for the fronts, had to go to CT for the short ones in the rear.

One of those jobs that would have been nicer to do in the summer if I would have thought of it

Offline valuator

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +36/-115
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 Pilot TrailSport, 2015 Outback 3.6R, 2012 BMW 128i
« Reply #10189 on: December 10, 2018, 10:20:50 am »
Changed the wipers in the two vehicles. Used Michelin Stealth Hybrids from Costco for the fronts, had to go to CT for the short ones in the rear.

One of those jobs that would have been nicer to do in the summer if I would have thought of it

Can't beat those Michelin wipers for the price.  I think I even bought my last sets for like $7.99 per blade after coupon. 

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #10190 on: December 10, 2018, 01:13:42 pm »
Not exactly my car.  But it's somewhat related.

Had 4 dump runs to do yesterday.  Was getting ready to do the first.  Towing my open utility trailer.  Made a right turn at the end of the street, and one more right to head on to the 403 highway on ramp.  Start to hear a noise, and feel the trailer isn't towing smoothly.  I think possible flat tire.  So I pull over on the shoulder of the on ramp (before heading on).  See that the hub assembly is totally damaged.  At this point, I wasn't sure what to do.  New tire won't fix this.  I can't go on the highway, and head to a garage.  CAA won't take care of this. 

So I pulled a U-turn on the on ramp, and went back the way I came.  About 250m.  Luckily, the on ramp wasn't very busy, and it's wide enough so that the 2 cars that did come, could go by me. 

Now I have to find a trailer hub assembly kit, that comes with the bearings, and everything.  And will replace both sides.  Makes some room in the garage on Monday or Tuesday.  And hope to have it done in the garage on Wednesday or Thursday.  Pain in the ass. 

Yikes. I did axles on my old travel trailer, it was quite easy and I had my 8 year old help me too.  At least the new axles had easy to use grease nipples, although had I kept it, I would’ve put on Bearing Buddy.

I know it's not hard.  But the timing is PITA.  At least mid week we will hit 3C. 

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
« Reply #10191 on: December 10, 2018, 01:25:04 pm »
I know it's not hard.  But the timing is PITA.  At least mid week we will hit 3C.

Rent one from UHaul for the time being?

One of my Christmas break projects is insulating the garage so I can heat it. Not too much, to just above freezing. It got up to -2 yesterday and I was happily working on my Sequoia with an open garage door without a jacket or gloves.

Offline PJungnitsch

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +170/-337
    • View Profile
    • Travel in Africa
  • Cars: Subaru Crosstrek, Lexus RX350, Evolve Carbon, Biktrix Juggernaut, Yamaha TW200
« Reply #10192 on: December 10, 2018, 01:57:41 pm »
Something I find surprisingly helpful in the winter for car work is wearing thin disposable gloves. Keeps the fingers much warmer than bare hands while being able to still do fine work.

Offline sszoomzoom

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +24/-10
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Mazda CX5 Signature - Soul Red Crystal Metallic
« Reply #10193 on: December 10, 2018, 03:21:58 pm »
Drove it over 200,000. Don't look too bad for a 12 year old.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

That looks like new and not 12 year old with 200000 km on it. Looks like you're taking good care of your baby.
See a little Romanian flag you have on the wall.

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
« Reply #10194 on: December 10, 2018, 04:53:59 pm »
It is the 2003 Civic we used in the Beater Challenge 2017 - it is the kids car now.

Perfect use of a beater.

Offline Arthur Dent

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +186/-80
  • 42?
    • View Profile
« Reply #10195 on: December 10, 2018, 04:56:59 pm »

Perfect use of a beater.

It is actually a good kids beater car - exterior is in rough shape with prior collision and hail damage but only 168k kms on it. It is pretty darn ugly even more so with the blue rims.

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #10196 on: December 10, 2018, 07:41:40 pm »
Something I find surprisingly helpful in the winter for car work is wearing thin disposable gloves. Keeps the fingers much warmer than bare hands while being able to still do fine work.

I have the worst blood circulation going.  I have 3 different pairs of gloves, depending on the weather.  With the temperature going up to 3C.  And adding a heater in the garage, I will be able to get the garage up to around 9C.  So that should be better. 

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #10197 on: December 10, 2018, 07:42:51 pm »

Rent one from UHaul for the time being?

One of my Christmas break projects is insulating the garage so I can heat it. Not too much, to just above freezing. It got up to -2 yesterday and I was happily working on my Sequoia with an open garage door without a jacket or gloves.

I have my enclosed trailer in the mean time.  So it's not like I have nothing. 

Offline UnknownJinX

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +22/-115
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 19 Camaro 2SS 1LE 6MT, 15 Corvette Z51 7MT(flooded), 09 Mazda RX-8 GT 6MT(sold)
« Reply #10198 on: December 12, 2018, 01:32:30 am »
The wheel hub got here today, so I installed it.

The old bearing(which is built into the hub) was so worn that when I turned it by hand, it was making clacking sounds.

The process wasn't difficult, just annoying due to all the rust. Had to pound the living crap out of the old hub with a hammer to get it to pop out.

Also lost the bolt that secures the traction control sensor in place. Taped it on, drove to Lordco and I was able to get a spare bolt.

A quick drive confirmed that the wobbling noise is gone. Yes!

Offline Seafoam

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +89/-202
    • View Profile
« Reply #10199 on: December 12, 2018, 08:26:05 am »
Good work. :thumbup:
2023 Honda Civic EX-B
2004 Mazdaspeed Miata