Author Topic: What did you do to your car today?  (Read 3017789 times)

Offline UnknownJinX

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +22/-115
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 19 Camaro 2SS 1LE 6MT, 15 Corvette Z51 7MT(flooded), 09 Mazda RX-8 GT 6MT(sold)
Re: What did you do to your car today?
« Reply #10160 on: December 08, 2018, 12:57:39 am »
Took it into a shop since a wobbling noise has been bothering me. It gets worse when I get on highways and when I take corners at moderate speeds. They informed me that I need a new front right wheel bearing.

Got home, got it up a jack and span the front wheels myself and indeed, the right front wheel makes more noises as it spins than the left front wheel.

So yep, I definitely need a new front right wheel bearing, which is integrated into the front wheel hub. It's pretty expensive, but on the plus side, it's not hard to DIY. The part will be here Tuesday.

Also, the inner lips of my winter rims are bent, so I need to get that sorted out soon.

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +245/-468
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Hyundai Entourage, 2007 Buick Lucerne
« Reply #10161 on: December 08, 2018, 08:07:59 am »
Got her home today.

Liking it a lot.

Now you have had the Ford for a couple months
What are the biggest difference you find driving a 9 year new truck ?

I really like the more work-truck orientation of this particular XLT. I really doesn't leave you wanting for more if you're using it like I do. The only things I'd probably really want would be auto 4x4 and power folding mirrors.

Compared to the old Sierra it drives like a car. A decade of hard use that Sierra was pretty beat up. Seriously though this thing drives like a minivan which is why I jokingly call it the minivan for bros.

I put on the BFG All-Terrains today

What?  When did I miss the thread of you getting rid of the Sierra for a new truck?  Damn! I assume you already sold the Sierra.  Congrats.   

Offline draghon

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +20/-27
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Mine [07 Civic SI coupe] Wife [23 Sienna XSE AWD]
« Reply #10162 on: December 08, 2018, 04:20:08 pm »
New front swaybar endlinks for the Acadia today. Less than half price from rock auto vs local jobbers for the parts even with shipping and the exchange rate.
ex rides: 93 Aerostar XLT AWD
wife ex rides: 07 Wave base, 11 Tiguan Comfortline with sport package, 14 Acadia SLE II AWD

Offline Arthur Dent

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +186/-80
  • 42?
    • View Profile
« Reply #10163 on: December 08, 2018, 08:04:46 pm »

Replacement used fuel pump

Old one was leaking gas into the oil

I have to pull the battery out of the Civic to test.

Speaking of the Civic - replaced both side mirrors.

Easy replacement. Did an oil change and replaced a brake light bulb. Still needs rear shocks. Maybe after Christmas.

Offline Golly

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +12/-10
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 05 Miata, 16 Malibu Premier, 19 Buick Enclave Avenir
« Reply #10164 on: December 08, 2018, 08:44:49 pm »
New front swaybar endlinks for the Acadia today. Less than half price from rock auto vs local jobbers for the parts even with shipping and the exchange rate.
I guess the endlinks took a beating from all those trips to the lake

Offline draghon

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +20/-27
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Mine [07 Civic SI coupe] Wife [23 Sienna XSE AWD]
« Reply #10165 on: December 08, 2018, 08:51:39 pm »
Yeah, gravel road was in pretty poor condition most of the summer.

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #10166 on: December 09, 2018, 08:32:13 am »
Got her home today.

Liking it a lot.

I really like the more work-truck orientation of this particular XLT. I really doesn't leave you wanting for more if you're using it like I do. The only things I'd probably really want would be auto 4x4 and power folding mirrors.

Compared to the old Sierra it drives like a car. A decade of hard use that Sierra was pretty beat up. Seriously though this thing drives like a minivan which is why I jokingly call it the minivan for bros.

What?  When did I miss the thread of you getting rid of the Sierra for a new truck?  Damn! I assume you already sold the Sierra.  Congrats.   

There wasn't really a thread it was a sudden thing. Company purchase and the Sierra was traded in. I had actually forgotten you had once expressed interest in it. Had I recalled I may have gone private to you.

Guessing your getting old.   Forgetting things.  ;)

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #10167 on: December 09, 2018, 08:33:51 am »
Got her home today.

Liking it a lot.

There wasn't really a thread it was a sudden thing. Company purchase and the Sierra was traded in. I had actually forgotten you had once expressed interest in it. Had I recalled I may have gone private to you.

If you did not disappear all summer maybe he would have remember about that  ;D

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #10168 on: December 09, 2018, 12:30:48 pm »
Sometimes one needs a break. 

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #10169 on: December 09, 2018, 12:44:32 pm »
Not exactly my car.  But it's somewhat related.

Had 4 dump runs to do yesterday.  Was getting ready to do the first.  Towing my open utility trailer.  Made a right turn at the end of the street, and one more right to head on to the 403 highway on ramp.  Start to hear a noise, and feel the trailer isn't towing smoothly.  I think possible flat tire.  So I pull over on the shoulder of the on ramp (before heading on).  See that the hub assembly is totally damaged.  At this point, I wasn't sure what to do.  New tire won't fix this.  I can't go on the highway, and head to a garage.  CAA won't take care of this. 

So I pulled a U-turn on the on ramp, and went back the way I came.  About 250m.  Luckily, the on ramp wasn't very busy, and it's wide enough so that the 2 cars that did come, could go by me. 

Now I have to find a trailer hub assembly kit, that comes with the bearings, and everything.  And will replace both sides.  Makes some room in the garage on Monday or Tuesday.  And hope to have it done in the garage on Wednesday or Thursday.  Pain in the ass. 

https://www.princessauto.com/en/detail/1-750-lb-5-bolt-trailer-axle-idler-hub/A-p8211708e

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #10170 on: December 09, 2018, 12:48:01 pm »
Got her home today.

Liking it a lot.

If you did not disappear all summer maybe he would have remember about that  ;D

^^ That's actually a big part!

Out of curiosity.  Give or take, how much would you have sold it to me for?  Forget the specs of the truck.  Have to see what kind of money I will need in about 1 year. at the latest.

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +269/-457
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mazda CX-5
« Reply #10171 on: December 09, 2018, 01:19:40 pm »

Had 4 dump runs to do yesterday.  Was getting ready to do the first.  Towing my open utility trailer.  Made a right turn at the end of the street, and one more right to head on to the 403 highway on ramp.  Start to hear a noise, and feel the trailer isn't towing smoothly.  I think possible flat tire.  So I pull over on the shoulder of the on ramp (before heading on).  See that the hub assembly is totally damaged.  At this point, I wasn't sure what to do.  New tire won't fix this.  I can't go on the highway, and head to a garage.  CAA won't take care of this. 

So I pulled a U-turn on the on ramp, and went back the way I came.  About 250m.  Luckily, the on ramp wasn't very busy, and it's wide enough so that the 2 cars that did come, could go by me. 

Now I have to find a trailer hub assembly kit, that comes with the bearings, and everything.  And will replace both sides.  Makes some room in the garage on Monday or Tuesday.  And hope to have it done in the garage on Wednesday or Thursday.  Pain in the ass. 

https://www.princessauto.com/en/detail/1-750-lb-5-bolt-trailer-axle-idler-hub/A-p8211708e

Have you ever serviced your trailer bearings?

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #10172 on: December 09, 2018, 01:59:51 pm »

Not on that trailer.  On my enclosed trailer, and pop up trailer.  I just got this used around August.  I had intended to do it next Spring. 

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-6812
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #10173 on: December 09, 2018, 03:26:06 pm »

99.9% of utility trailers on the road never have had or will have their bearings repacked.  That's why it's best not to follow them on the highway.

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #10174 on: December 09, 2018, 04:23:33 pm »

99.9% of utility trailers on the road never have had or will have their bearings repacked.  That's why it's best not to follow them on the highway.

Sounds pretty made up to me. 

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-6812
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #10175 on: December 09, 2018, 05:00:40 pm »
 Towing my open utility trailer.  Made a right turn at the end of the street, and one more right to head on to the 403 highway on ramp.  Start to hear a noise, and feel the trailer isn't towing smoothly.  I think possible flat tire.  So I pull over on the shoulder of the on ramp (before heading on).  See that the hub assembly is totally damaged.  At this point, I wasn't sure what to do.  New tire won't fix this.  I can't go on the highway, and head to a garage.

I totally believed that happened to you.  Obviously the bearings on that used trailer of yours were never repacked.  :)

Offline Bubba

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +382/-442
  • Vice President, Autos.ca Arizona Operations
    • View Profile
    • My photo site
  • Cars: 2013 Toyota Corolla LE
« Reply #10176 on: December 09, 2018, 05:03:17 pm »
Towing my open utility trailer.  Made a right turn at the end of the street, and one more right to head on to the 403 highway on ramp.  Start to hear a noise, and feel the trailer isn't towing smoothly.  I think possible flat tire.  So I pull over on the shoulder of the on ramp (before heading on).  See that the hub assembly is totally damaged.  At this point, I wasn't sure what to do.  New tire won't fix this.  I can't go on the highway, and head to a garage.

I totally believed that happened to you.  Obviously the bearings on that used trailer of yours were never repacked.  :)

Still doesn't back up your 99.9% make believe stat.
My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government. - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #10177 on: December 09, 2018, 05:54:27 pm »

For sure.  But to say 99.9% sounds like a fact pulled out of thin air!

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2122
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2020 Toyota Tundra, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #10178 on: December 09, 2018, 08:24:20 pm »
Drove it over 200,000. Don't look too bad for a 12 year old.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

Lighten up Francis.....

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7213
    • View Profile
« Reply #10179 on: December 09, 2018, 09:00:30 pm »

For sure.  But to say 99.9% sounds like a fact pulled out of thin air!

AS isn't too far off from the truth IMO. Most people can't be bothered to pull the caps just to look at the condition let alone spoon in more grease/repack them.

I personally used first caps with zerk fittings, then later "bearing buddies" (I think that's what they were called).

So while AS might be pushing it, I'd say 95 percent is a more reasonable number.

How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...