Author Topic: What did you do to your car today?  (Read 3017694 times)

Offline Firm

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +232/-1072
  • Urban Hick
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 XKR, 2007 DTS, 2006 Escalade, 2000 Sonoma ZQ8,1996 Firebird, 1996 Firebird Formula, 1985 Trans Am, 1984 Camaro, 1978 MGB x2
Re: What did you do to your car today?
« Reply #10140 on: December 06, 2018, 05:36:49 pm »
It's mostly the initial loss of pressure and resulting pedal to the floor moment that's scary. Once the system shuts off the leaky circuit (whether it be a dual or 4-way system) you will get some braking from the remaining circuit(s), it just won't be as good, and the pedal won't feel very confident either (but, in theory, shouldn't go to the floor).

One thing that sucked, on my GS400 (I think). I replaced all my lines with braided.  So I really had to bleed them.  So I opened the bleeders...but because the bleeder was open and there was no fluid pressure in that line, the system thought the line was broken and it would shut that circuit off so I couldn't bleed it.  Not easily anyways.

I had to make a jumper to disable that functionality.

In the newer versions of Techstream, there's a bleed brake function.  Just open the bleeder, tell it what corner, and it cycles the pump to bleed the line.  Beautifully easy!

GM trucks are notorious for this same :censor:....very frustrating. I forget the specifics now, but with the GMs there is some weird foot/pedal sequence that helps keep things flowing, but I've had mixed results.

Gravity bleed helps sometimes too, then just super slow pressure on the pedal for the first couple of pumps.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7213
    • View Profile
« Reply #10141 on: December 06, 2018, 05:39:04 pm »
It's mostly the initial loss of pressure and resulting pedal to the floor moment that's scary. Once the system shuts off the leaky circuit (whether it be a dual or 4-way system) you will get some braking from the remaining circuit(s), it just won't be as good, and the pedal won't feel very confident either (but, in theory, shouldn't go to the floor).

One thing that sucked, on my GS400 (I think). I replaced all my lines with braided.  So I really had to bleed them.  So I opened the bleeders...but because the bleeder was open and there was no fluid pressure in that line, the system thought the line was broken and it would shut that circuit off so I couldn't bleed it.  Not easily anyways.

In the newer versions of Techstream, there's a bleed brake function.  Just open the bleeder, tell it what corner, and it cycles the pump to bleed the line.  Beautifully easy!

GM trucks are notorious for this same :censor:....very frustrating. I forget the specifics now, but with the GMs there is some weird foot/pedal sequence that helps keep things flowing, but I've had mixed results.

Gravity bleed helps sometimes too, then just super slow pressure on the pedal for the first couple of pumps.

Techstream made life wonderful!

Prior to that I had a very nice Phoenix power bleeder.  I sold it to someone on this forum IIRC.
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline TheHire

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +103/-404
  • Manual Preservation Officer
    • View Profile
    • DoubleClutch.ca Magazine
  • Cars: '07 V8 Vantage 6MT, '91 Diablo, '97 550 Maranello, '91 911 Carrera, '04 S2000, '00 M5, '90 Camry AllTrac, '09 LS 460 AWD, '24 LC 500 Performance, '97 Integra Type R, '24 Santa Fe Calligraphy
« Reply #10142 on: December 06, 2018, 10:32:02 pm »

And I'm not doubting that it can, but if something were to happen and an engine were to blow, who's on the hook? Not them, surely...

My master tech's shop is 5 minutes from me, and he can have the oil changed in under 20 minutes. At 4 times a year, I'm not bothered.

And your oil dealer/supplier will pay if your engine fails while that oil is in there?

Truth be told, engines rarely (if ever) fail due to oil itself.

But yes, Amsoil will pay if your engine blows due to the oil being defective or the part that failed is as a direct result of using Amsoil.  So there you have it.  So now that that's cleared up, I guess I'll be expecting your Amsoil order shortly then?   ;D

Kinda makes me sad your're putting cheap stuff in there now...I though you liked the LS and said you were going to take care of it??  :stick: What swill are you putting in there...Castrol GTX?

Truth be told, I think this has little to do you with being worried about who will cover a blown engine (or a blown engine, period) and everything to do with getting something for FREE.  After all, no auto journo EVER has met a freebie they didn't fall in love with or said "NO" to!! Ever.  :rofl: :rofl2:  Isn't that why TestFest was created?   :rofl: :rofl2:

Absolutely not putting cheap stuff in there. Not to get into it hard, because I do respect you, but just because it's not Amsoil doesn't mean it's cheap. Full synthetic, and it's not "free". I believe in the product, and it's absolute BS to say that auto journos are all about getting free stuff. I'm not doubting the product, but I'm more comfortable putting in the product I'm more familiar with and is also just as well-reputed.

And yes, Amsoil "will pay if it's a result of it being defective", but like most other companies, good luck actually getting them to shell out or take any responsibility.
Resident Connoisseur of Jalopies & Reality Checks

Offline TheHire

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +103/-404
  • Manual Preservation Officer
    • View Profile
    • DoubleClutch.ca Magazine
  • Cars: '07 V8 Vantage 6MT, '91 Diablo, '97 550 Maranello, '91 911 Carrera, '04 S2000, '00 M5, '90 Camry AllTrac, '09 LS 460 AWD, '24 LC 500 Performance, '97 Integra Type R, '24 Santa Fe Calligraphy
« Reply #10143 on: December 06, 2018, 10:34:25 pm »

Prior to that I had a very nice Phoenix power bleeder.  I sold it to someone on this forum IIRC.

Did it have a parking brake when you sold it?  :rofl: :rofl: (I also enjoy busting balls)

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #10144 on: December 06, 2018, 10:38:41 pm »

Did it have a parking brake when you sold it?  :rofl: :rofl: (I also enjoy busting balls)

What's your Safety Certificate say?

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #10145 on: December 06, 2018, 10:40:12 pm »

and it's absolute BS to say that auto journos are all about getting free stuff.

Absolute BS?  Or just partial BS?

Come on now...... :rofl: :rofl2:

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #10146 on: December 07, 2018, 09:45:54 am »
Got her home today.

Liking it a lot.

Now you have had the Ford for a couple months
What are the biggest difference you find driving a 9 year new truck ?

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #10147 on: December 07, 2018, 01:09:58 pm »
 :fiver:
Are the BFG  quiet ?

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +269/-457
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mazda CX-5
« Reply #10148 on: December 07, 2018, 01:12:28 pm »
:fiver:
Are the BFG  quiet ?
^^I very much doubt that they are, especially in comparison to the tires he replaced.

Offline Firm

• Car Crazy
  • Urban Hick
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 XKR, 2007 DTS, 2006 Escalade, 2000 Sonoma ZQ8,1996 Firebird, 1996 Firebird Formula, 1985 Trans Am, 1984 Camaro, 1978 MGB x2
« Reply #10149 on: December 07, 2018, 01:15:15 pm »
Those are KO2's, one of the benchmarks in all-terrain tires. Doubt there was much of a noise difference, I've always found them pretty quiet. I do find they have a flexy sidewall, so steering response is a big num. Regardless, for a work truck like this, these tires are a great choice.

Offline Gurgie

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-518
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Honda Passport Touring
« Reply #10150 on: December 07, 2018, 01:19:52 pm »
Looks like you went up in size as well for the tires? I like the KO2's, between them & the Wrangler Duratrac's I think they're a great 4 season tire for a truck or Jeep.
You live everyday. You only die once....

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +269/-457
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mazda CX-5
« Reply #10151 on: December 07, 2018, 01:29:29 pm »
Those are KO2's, one of the benchmarks in all-terrain tires. Doubt there was much of a noise difference, I've always found them pretty quiet. I do find they have a flexy sidewall, so steering response is a big num. Regardless, for a work truck like this, these tires are a great choice.

Yup. If I was commuting to Toronto I'd think of something else but literally perfect for my purposes. Still a great ride. I had them on my Sierra too although those were 20s not 17s like on this truck. I do think they're better as 17s than 20s from early seat of the pants feel.  It was either do winters or these so I'll roll on these and keep the stockers in storage.

I'll probably replace my factory tires with a set of KO2's once they wear out in 4 years.  I'm only using them in spring/summer/fall, so they might last a little while.  Hopefully not too long.  They look a little wimpy on an 'off-road' truck.

Offline Firm

• Car Crazy
  • Urban Hick
    • View Profile
« Reply #10152 on: December 07, 2018, 02:56:24 pm »
I have KO2's on the CTC Jeep, and Duratracs on the Ram. Both great, but I prefer the Duratracs for a slightly stiffer sidewall, make the on-road experience a little better. That said, the KO2's are more versatile off-road, particularly with rocks.

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #10153 on: December 07, 2018, 03:19:54 pm »

Yup. If I was commuting to Toronto I'd think of something else but literally perfect for my purposes. Still a great ride. I had them on my Sierra too although those were 20s not 17s like on this truck. I do think they're better as 17s than 20s from early seat of the pants feel.  It was either do winters or these so I'll roll on these and keep the stockers in storage.
Nice to have 17" ,
With my truck it is all hiway , maybe 1% off road ( before they pave a lot ) , I went with Defenders LTX M&S

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +289/-389
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 12 Mazda 5 GT 6MT
« Reply #10154 on: December 07, 2018, 03:45:30 pm »
Following. I'd like to try some offroading but not sure if I want super knobbies. They do look cool and my Sequoia won't win awards for being pretty, so i should make it look rugged. Will Costco sell KO2s?

Costco carries some Bridgestone Dueler Revo3, I imagine some additional sizes will come up in the spring.

Offline Firm

• Car Crazy
  • Urban Hick
    • View Profile
« Reply #10155 on: December 07, 2018, 04:02:18 pm »
On the Escalade I went with Continental Terrain Contacts; not that we ever off-road it, but we do run these tires all year so I wanted something that would perform well in snow/ice, look more aggressive than a typical LT highway tire, yet still be super comfortable and quiet on the road.

I was nervous as I was one of the first in Canada to get these (ordered them direct through a contact at Conti), and these was Conti's first kick at a true A/T tire, but I've been thoroughly impressed in every regard. 10,000+kms on them now and they wear well, ride well, quiet, and have been awesome in the snow. Review have also been coming in extremely positive.

The Look is probably a little mild for my taste on a pickup truck, but on something like the Escalade I think they're just right.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #10156 on: December 07, 2018, 04:10:02 pm »
Looks like a tight fit in the garage, Vmango!

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +289/-389
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 12 Mazda 5 GT 6MT
« Reply #10157 on: December 07, 2018, 04:13:49 pm »
so I wanted something that would perform well in snow/ice

Looks good! How are they on snow and ice? My dad had knobbies on his old Tacoma and I can best describe them as hockey pucks. I had to manipulate that truck sideways down a steep hill, it was amazing I made it to Future Shop and back.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #10158 on: December 07, 2018, 04:28:53 pm »
Looks like a tight fit in the garage, Vmango!

Like a glove! Can't tell from the pick but I still have about 3-3.5 feet between the truck and the wall of the garage. I just built a shelf that make it a little tighter. So probably 1-1.5 feet of total play.
Back up sensors and camera make it cake I suppose?

Offline Firm

• Car Crazy
  • Urban Hick
    • View Profile
« Reply #10159 on: December 07, 2018, 04:30:22 pm »
so I wanted something that would perform well in snow/ice

Looks good! How are they on snow and ice? My dad had knobbies on his old Tacoma and I can best describe them as hockey pucks. I had to manipulate that truck sideways down a steep hill, it was amazing I made it to Future Shop and back.

Excellent actually, better than expected to be honest. Traction to get going is flawless, deep snow, wet snow, ice, whatever, but I am sure the full-time AWD and ridiculous weight of the thing plays a big role. Steering and braking is likely a compromise vs. a dedicated winter tires, but two winters in and neither me nor Mrs.firm have had any 'oh :censor:' moments....In fact, I don't think I've ever felt it slide, period.