Author Topic: What did you do to your car today?  (Read 3017685 times)

Offline TheHire

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +103/-404
  • Manual Preservation Officer
    • View Profile
    • DoubleClutch.ca Magazine
  • Cars: '07 V8 Vantage 6MT, '91 Diablo, '97 550 Maranello, '91 911 Carrera, '04 S2000, '00 M5, '90 Camry AllTrac, '09 LS 460 AWD, '24 LC 500 Performance, '97 Integra Type R, '24 Santa Fe Calligraphy
Re: What did you do to your car today?
« Reply #10120 on: December 05, 2018, 11:54:30 pm »
^^^Meanwhile, Ron has been recommending to me that once my powertrain warranty is up, to switch the good Amsoil and extend my service intervals to 24 000kms.

You'll easily get 24K from Amsoil....and it can go up to 40K!    :o

And I'm not doubting that it can, but if something were to happen and an engine were to blow, who's on the hook? Not them, surely...

My master tech's shop is 5 minutes from me, and he can have the oil changed in under 20 minutes. At 4 times a year, I'm not bothered.
Resident Connoisseur of Jalopies & Reality Checks

Offline blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +244/-779
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
  • Cars: and bikes by age:BMW, Porsche, Subaru, Suzuki, Suzuki, Mazda, Jaguar, Kawasaki, Porsche, GMC, Suzuki
« Reply #10121 on: December 06, 2018, 01:10:43 am »
^^^Meanwhile, Ron has been recommending to me that once my powertrain warranty is up, to switch the good Amsoil and extend my service intervals to 24 000kms.

You'll easily get 24K from Amsoil....and it can go up to 40K!    :o

And I'm not doubting that it can, but if something were to happen and an engine were to blow, who's on the hook? Not them, surely...

My master tech's shop is 5 minutes from me, and he can have the oil changed in under 20 minutes. At 4 times a year, I'm not bothered.

Make sure he tops up  your blinker fluid.  ;D
Mr Pickypants

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7213
    • View Profile
« Reply #10122 on: December 06, 2018, 01:24:29 am »

And your oil dealer/supplier will pay if your engine fails while that oil is in there?

Truth be told, engines rarely (if ever) fail due to oil itself.

But yes, Amsoil will pay if your engine blows due to the oil being defective or the part that failed is as a direct result of using Amsoil.  So there you have it.  So now that that's cleared up, I guess I'll be expecting your Amsoil order shortly then?   ;D

Kinda makes me sad your're putting cheap stuff in there now...I though you liked the LS and said you were going to take care of it??  :stick: What swill are you putting in there...Castrol GTX?

Truth be told, I think this has little to do you with being worried about who will cover a blown engine (or a blown engine, period) and everything to do with getting something for FREE.  After all, no auto journo EVER has met a freebie they didn't fall in love with or said "NO" to!! Ever.  :rofl: :rofl2:  Isn't that why TestFest was created?   :rofl: :rofl2:
« Last Edit: December 06, 2018, 01:57:03 am by rrocket »
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +245/-468
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Hyundai Entourage, 2007 Buick Lucerne
« Reply #10123 on: December 06, 2018, 10:21:18 am »

And your oil dealer/supplier will pay if your engine fails while that oil is in there?

But yes, Amsoil will pay if your engine blows due to the oil being defective or the part that failed is as a direct result of using Amsoil.  So there you have it.  So now that that's cleared up, I guess I'll be expecting your Amsoil order shortly then?   ;D

Kinda makes me sad your're putting cheap stuff in there now...I though you liked the LS and said you were going to take care of it??  :stick: What swill are you putting in there...Castrol GTX?

Truth be told, I think this has little to do you with being worried about who will cover a blown engine (or a blown engine, period) and everything to do with getting something for FREE.  After all, no auto journo EVER has met a freebie they didn't fall in love with or said "NO" to!! Ever.  :rofl: :rofl2:  Isn't that why TestFest was created?   :rofl: :rofl2:

I totally agree.  You should have pressured me more to buy it from you.  And I would have setup an Amsoil order for both vehicles, and my lawn equipment while there!  ;D

Offline Seafoam

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +89/-202
    • View Profile
« Reply #10124 on: December 06, 2018, 10:40:49 am »

He is changing it every 5 k how is that abusing the car? The oil barely gets dirty.
2023 Honda Civic EX-B
2004 Mazdaspeed Miata

Offline Arthur Dent

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +186/-80
  • 42?
    • View Profile
« Reply #10125 on: December 06, 2018, 11:46:41 am »
The Civic got some winters tires via Kijiji - the rims are smurf blue which doesn't do much for an already ugly car. I sourced a couple junkyard mirror to replace the saggy ones on it now. Some bulbs and oil change this weekend. As the opposite of vantage007 the Civic is due for it annual oil change.  :rofl2:
« Last Edit: December 06, 2018, 11:48:57 am by Arthur Dent »

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #10126 on: December 06, 2018, 03:15:24 pm »

I totally agree.  You should have pressured me more to buy it from you.  And I would have setup an Amsoil order for both vehicles, and my lawn equipment while there!  ;D

I can do this any time. Just drop me a PM.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #10127 on: December 06, 2018, 03:18:37 pm »

He is changing it every 5 k how is that abusing the car? The oil barely gets dirty.

I am breaking his balls of course...

Offline tortoise

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +236/-453
    • View Profile
« Reply #10128 on: December 06, 2018, 03:33:50 pm »
The Civic got some winters tires via Kijiji - the rims are smurf blue which doesn't do much for an already ugly car. I sourced a couple junkyard mirror to replace the saggy ones on it now. Some bulbs and oil change this weekend. As the opposite of vantage007 the Civic is due for it annual oil change.  :rofl2:

That is one ugly Civic!  Perfect for teenage boys.
Only the slow and dim know where they're going in life, and seldom is it worth the trip. - Tom Robbins.

Offline Rikki

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +2/-0
  • shokoman
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Renault Lodgy
« Reply #10129 on: December 06, 2018, 04:31:10 pm »
I drove my Ford Aspire for service, after 60,000 runs.  Changed the filters, and oil.

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2122
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2020 Toyota Tundra, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #10130 on: December 06, 2018, 04:37:42 pm »
Feckin Jeep blew a hard brake line this morning. Service guy just called me from the dealer, it was covered by a recall because the inner fender liner can rub right through brake line  ::) ::) Kind of a pant filling moment when the brake idiot like came on and the brake pedal went almost to the floor

Lighten up Francis.....

Offline Arthur Dent

• Car Crazy
  • 42?
    • View Profile
« Reply #10131 on: December 06, 2018, 04:44:42 pm »

That is one ugly Civic!  Perfect for teenage boys.

I saved you from the worst of it. The front end is pretty ugly. It is 2017's Beater Challenge car minus the wing and such.

Offline Firm

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +232/-1072
  • Urban Hick
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 XKR, 2007 DTS, 2006 Escalade, 2000 Sonoma ZQ8,1996 Firebird, 1996 Firebird Formula, 1985 Trans Am, 1984 Camaro, 1978 MGB x2
« Reply #10132 on: December 06, 2018, 04:53:19 pm »
Feckin Jeep blew a hard brake line this morning. Service guy just called me from the dealer, it was covered by a recall because the inner fender liner can rub right through brake line  ::) ::) Kind of a pant filling moment when the brake idiot like came on and the brake pedal went almost to the floor

Been there....Borrowed my grandmother's buick once and a rusty hardline blew out on the highway. No fun. Glad that your pants were the only casualty.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #10133 on: December 06, 2018, 04:53:56 pm »
Kind of a pant filling moment when the brake idiot like came on and the brake pedal went almost to the floor

So the ABS pump doesn't prevent that from happening?

For example, on my Lexus after the master cylinder it goes into the ABS modulator/pump.  From there, 4 hard line go their respective corner.  Since the ABS is multi channel, if one channel shows low or no pressure, it shuts that one off.  This prevents the whole system from bleeding out from 1 bad line.

No such animal on the Jeep I take it?

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #10134 on: December 06, 2018, 04:58:13 pm »
Kind of a pant filling moment when the brake idiot like came on and the brake pedal went almost to the floor

So the ABS pump doesn't prevent that from happening?

For example, on my Lexus after the master cylinder it goes into the ABS modulator/pump.  From there, 4 hard line go their respective corner.  Since the ABS is multi channel, if one channel shows low or no pressure, it shuts that one off.  This prevents the whole system from bleeding out from 1 bad line.

No such animal on the Jeep I take it?

No idea...still had some form of brakes that I was able to get to the dealer.

Offline Arthur Dent

• Car Crazy
  • 42?
    • View Profile
« Reply #10135 on: December 06, 2018, 05:04:32 pm »
Even with a dual circuit cylinder you shouldn't loose all brakes. I've had it lose the front disc brakes twice before and only the rear drums were still working. Assuming the drums work ok stops take a lot longer but you still have some brakes.

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +391/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
« Reply #10136 on: December 06, 2018, 05:06:35 pm »
New wheel bearing and thermostat. Car is now quieter and very hot inside.

Offline Firm

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +232/-1072
  • Urban Hick
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 XKR, 2007 DTS, 2006 Escalade, 2000 Sonoma ZQ8,1996 Firebird, 1996 Firebird Formula, 1985 Trans Am, 1984 Camaro, 1978 MGB x2
« Reply #10137 on: December 06, 2018, 05:26:16 pm »
It's mostly the initial loss of pressure and resulting pedal to the floor moment that's scary. Once the system shuts off the leaky circuit (whether it be a dual or 4-way system) you will get some braking from the remaining circuit(s), it just won't be as good, and the pedal won't feel very confident either (but, in theory, shouldn't go to the floor).

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #10138 on: December 06, 2018, 05:30:54 pm »
It's mostly the initial loss of pressure and resulting pedal to the floor moment that's scary. Once the system shuts off the leaky circuit (whether it be a dual or 4-way system) you will get some braking from the remaining circuit(s), it just won't be as good, and the pedal won't feel very confident either (but, in theory, shouldn't go to the floor).

One thing that sucked, on my GS400 (I think). I replaced all my lines with braided.  So I really had to bleed them.  So I opened the bleeders...but because the bleeder was open and there was no fluid pressure in that line, the system thought the line was broken and it would shut that circuit off so I couldn't bleed it.  Not easily anyways.

I had to make a jumper to disable that functionality.

In the newer versions of Techstream, there's a bleed brake function.  Just open the bleeder, tell it what corner, and it cycles the pump to bleed the line.  Beautifully easy!

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #10139 on: December 06, 2018, 05:33:47 pm »

Yeah, your soul, quickly followed by your colon, also goes to the floor when the pedal goes soft.