Author Topic: What did you do to your car today?  (Read 3017906 times)

Offline ChaosphereIX

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +187/-377
  • Wont run with the pack
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Jaguar XJR-L
Re: What did you do to your car today?
« Reply #9980 on: November 21, 2018, 08:52:27 pm »
forgot to mention my mech told me my brakes are low, and need pads and rotors by next oil change, if not sooner

he is usually good with part prices, but where do you guys get your brake parts? Rockauto? Trying to find some coated rotors to resist the rust.
If driving an Alfa does not restore vitality to your soul, then just pass the hospital and park at the morgue to save everyone time.

Now drives a Jaaaaaaag...and thus will not pay for anything during an outing...but it is OK, because....I drive a Jaaaaaag.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7213
    • View Profile
« Reply #9981 on: November 21, 2018, 08:58:32 pm »
forgot to mention my mech told me my brakes are low, and need pads and rotors by next oil change, if not sooner

he is usually good with part prices, but where do you guys get your brake parts? Rockauto? Trying to find some coated rotors to resist the rust.

For what car?
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline ChaosphereIX

• Car Crazy
  • Wont run with the pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #9982 on: November 21, 2018, 08:59:02 pm »

For what car?
the Saab

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7213
    • View Profile
« Reply #9983 on: November 21, 2018, 09:03:05 pm »

For what car?
the Saab

RockAuto has a nice selection usually.  Shipping might be a bit pricey.

Wonder if that Maxbrakes someone posted here has a setup for you?

Offline Scaerio

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +193/-127
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2013 Volvo C30 T5; all my exes: 2005 Suzuki Aerio SE, '02 Renault Clio, '93 Volvo 850 GLT, '78 MB W-123 230
« Reply #9984 on: November 21, 2018, 09:08:38 pm »
I have the same all seasons as Bella’s BMW and the same winters as Chaos’s SAAB. 
I'd rather be car-poor than house-poor...

Offline ChaosphereIX

• Car Crazy
  • Wont run with the pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #9985 on: November 21, 2018, 09:27:44 pm »
I have the same all seasons as Bella’s BMW and the same winters as Chaos’s SAAB.
*X-Files theme*

Offline Gurgie

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-518
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Honda Passport Touring
« Reply #9986 on: November 22, 2018, 07:02:58 am »
*X-Files theme*
Bella has Xice 3's as well....

Chaos, I got new rear Zimmerman coated rotors, and Bosch pads for both front & rear thru Rockauto for the 323i & it was $270 all in. Best price I could find.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

You live everyday. You only die once....

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +289/-389
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 12 Mazda 5 GT 6MT
« Reply #9987 on: November 22, 2018, 07:58:08 am »
Just ordered a Denso replacement.

Yeah, I watched a video. Looks stupid easy.

The one in the Mazda5 was the worst.  It was at the back of the centre console and was two pieces that had to go together. I bet it took me a solid 45 minutes to replace it.

Really? Been a few years, but I don't remember it taking that long for me to do.  Maybe because I found it easy to reach behind there.  I don't remember having to unscrew anything.

Are you two talking about the air filter? The first gen 3/5/6 were the worst, significantly improved in the 2nd gen.

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +391/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
« Reply #9988 on: November 22, 2018, 08:11:45 am »
Are you two talking about the air filter? The first gen 3/5/6 were the worst, significantly improved in the 2nd gen.

I think they are talking about the cabin filter.

Offline ChaosphereIX

• Car Crazy
  • Wont run with the pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #9989 on: November 22, 2018, 10:10:35 am »
*X-Files theme*

Chaos, I got new rear Zimmerman coated rotors, and Bosch pads for both front & rear thru Rockauto for the 323i & it was $270 all in. Best price I could find.

cheers, that is the route I will go thanks

Offline Firm

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +232/-1072
  • Urban Hick
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 XKR, 2007 DTS, 2006 Escalade, 2000 Sonoma ZQ8,1996 Firebird, 1996 Firebird Formula, 1985 Trans Am, 1984 Camaro, 1978 MGB x2
« Reply #9990 on: November 22, 2018, 10:18:17 am »
*X-Files theme*

Those are good products and a great price. Just be aware, shipping via RockAuto right now is dicey given the Postal strike....Took nearly two week for an MGB Slave Cylinder I ordered to show up, way slower than the 3-4 day turn around I usually get from them.

Offline Gurgie

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #9991 on: November 22, 2018, 10:32:13 am »
*X-Files theme*

Those are good products and a great price. Just be aware, shipping via RockAuto right now is dicey given the Postal strike....Took nearly two week for an MGB Slave Cylinder I ordered to show up, way slower than the 3-4 day turn around I usually get from them.

They shipped my brake parts with FedEx, ordered them on Sunday (Nov 11) night at 10pm, were on my doorstep by noon on the Wednesday (Nov 14)  ;D

Offline ChaosphereIX

• Car Crazy
  • Wont run with the pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #9992 on: November 22, 2018, 10:44:57 am »
mine will be coming in the next couple of months probably, brakes still have a bit of life left in them if I go gently
hopefully the postal issue will be solved by then, and plus I am not in a rush

and looking at my selection, yeah Rockauto is about as cheap as you can get for the parts - Powerstop seems to be the choice for my Saab

Offline blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +244/-779
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
  • Cars: and bikes by age:BMW, Porsche, Subaru, Suzuki, Suzuki, Mazda, Jaguar, Kawasaki, Porsche, GMC, Suzuki
« Reply #9993 on: November 22, 2018, 10:51:17 am »
*X-Files theme*

They shipped my brake parts with FedEx, ordered them on Sunday (Nov 11) night at 10pm, were on my doorstep by noon on the Wednesday (Nov 14)  ;D

I can beat that, ordered on Tuesday evening, got it Thursday afternoon.    Also ordered parts from Autopartsway.ca and Mufflerexpress and got them in two days or so.   
Mr Pickypants

Offline blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
  • Cars: and bikes by age:BMW, Porsche, Subaru, Suzuki, Suzuki, Mazda, Jaguar, Kawasaki, Porsche, GMC, Suzuki
« Reply #9994 on: November 22, 2018, 10:52:25 am »
mine will be coming in the next couple of months probably, brakes still have a bit of life left in them if I go gently
hopefully the postal issue will be solved by then, and plus I am not in a rush

and looking at my selection, yeah Rockauto is about as cheap as you can get for the parts - Powerstop seems to be the choice for my Saab

Check out Maxbrakes, Canadian and cheap.

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +289/-389
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 12 Mazda 5 GT 6MT
« Reply #9995 on: November 22, 2018, 10:54:30 am »

I think they are talking about the cabin filter.

Whoops yes I meant cabin air filter.

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +117/-442
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Land Rover LR4, Honda Ridgeline, Husqvarna FE501
« Reply #9996 on: November 22, 2018, 10:55:37 am »
Cleaned out one of the headlight washer nozzles on the LR4. Headlight washers are  one of those things that you don't miss until you don't have them. Absolutely awesome for the next 6 months of winter muck here.

Offline Gurgie

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #9997 on: November 22, 2018, 10:56:08 am »
*X-Files theme*

I can beat that, ordered on Tuesday evening, got it Thursday afternoon.    Also ordered parts from Autopartsway.ca and Mufflerexpress and got them in two days or so.

You're closer to the US than I am... it's that extra 1.5hrs from Kingston to Ottawa that messes things up  :rofl2:

I tried Autopartsway.ca for the brakes, but they were $100 more for the same parts  :banghead:  They used to be my go to place, but Rockauto has been beating them lately.

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #9998 on: November 22, 2018, 10:56:59 am »
It always bugged me that Subaru sold themselves as the maker of cars for poor conditions and never installed headlamp washers.

Offline blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
« Reply #9999 on: November 22, 2018, 11:01:13 am »

I tried Autopartsway.ca for the brakes, but they were $100 more for the same parts  :banghead:  They used to be my go to place, but Rockauto has been beating them lately.

They are very hit and miss,  but occasionally have things for a really good price.   I bought a liter of ATE brake fluid  and Bosch brake pads cheaper than Rockauto, but everything else was more.