Author Topic: What did you do to your car today?  (Read 3010974 times)

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +391/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
Re: What did you do to your car today?
« Reply #9860 on: November 13, 2018, 12:50:00 pm »
Well that escalated quickly

Took the whole dashboard out as I have some electrical issues. Additionally some switches were out but the wires are unlabeled and I have been unable to find a wiring diagram.  :(

Taking things apart I'm really good at. Putting it back together, not so much. Have fun.

Online Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +268/-457
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mazda CX-5
« Reply #9861 on: November 13, 2018, 12:56:10 pm »
Well that escalated quickly

Took the whole dashboard out as I have some electrical issues. Additionally some switches were out but the wires are unlabeled and I have been unable to find a wiring diagram.  :(

Taking things apart I'm really good at. Putting it back together, not so much. Have fun.

The case with most people.

Those who can do both are the ones who can make money doing it.

Offline Gurgie

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-518
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Honda Passport Touring
« Reply #9862 on: November 13, 2018, 02:32:21 pm »
^at least you can crash on that mattress up in the loft and spend the night with her once in a while  :stick:  :rofl2:  :run:
You live everyday. You only die once....

Online Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +268/-457
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mazda CX-5
« Reply #9863 on: November 13, 2018, 02:32:46 pm »
Man, that thing looks good!!!

Offline Weels

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +253/-259
  • This is my happy face
    • View Profile
  • Cars: The 5's: 2023 Mazda CX-5, 2016 Mazda MX-5
« Reply #9864 on: November 13, 2018, 02:59:08 pm »
 :(

Haven't put the red blanket on mine yet...

Offline Gurgie

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-518
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Honda Passport Touring
« Reply #9865 on: November 13, 2018, 03:14:18 pm »
^at least you can crash on that mattress up in the loft and spend the night with her once in a while  :stick:  :rofl2:  :run:

What you think that's an old model home mattress or something? I brought it from home so I can snuggle next to her three nights a week and sing lullabies until I fall softly to sleep  ;D :rofl2:

Soft kitty, Warm kitty, Little ball of fur... Happy kitty, Sleepy kitty, Purr Purr Purr...

Offline Weels

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +253/-259
  • This is my happy face
    • View Profile
  • Cars: The 5's: 2023 Mazda CX-5, 2016 Mazda MX-5
« Reply #9866 on: November 13, 2018, 03:32:03 pm »
^  backs away quietly......

Offline random006

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +123/-83
    • View Profile
  • Cars: His - 2018 Subaru Crosstrek .... Hers - 2008 Honda Civic DX
« Reply #9867 on: November 13, 2018, 04:50:23 pm »
^  x2!   :rofl: :rofl:
I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass...and I'm all out of bubblegum.    -    John Nada (played by Roddy Piper) in "They Live"

Offline Bubba

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +382/-442
  • Vice President, Autos.ca Arizona Operations
    • View Profile
    • My photo site
  • Cars: 2013 Toyota Corolla LE
« Reply #9868 on: November 13, 2018, 06:36:02 pm »
My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government. - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Scaerio

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +193/-127
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2013 Volvo C30 T5; all my exes: 2005 Suzuki Aerio SE, '02 Renault Clio, '93 Volvo 850 GLT, '78 MB W-123 230
« Reply #9869 on: November 13, 2018, 11:58:41 pm »

What you think that's an old model home mattress or something? I brought it from home so I can snuggle next to her three nights a week and sing lullabies until I fall softly to sleep  ;D :rofl2:

Soft kitty, Warm kitty, Little ball of fur... Happy kitty, Sleepy kitty, Purr Purr Purr...

More appropriate for a Hellcat...
I'd rather be car-poor than house-poor...

Offline Blueprint

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +170/-232
  • member since way back when
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 Mazda CX-90 GS-L PHEV, 2022 Subaru Crosstrek Limited, 1975 Triumph TR6
« Reply #9870 on: November 15, 2018, 07:12:10 pm »
Installed the winter wheels & wiper blades on the Ody last evening, in my heated garage. e-tron will be done over the weekend, no hurry since she's parked until Monday. We're getting anywhere from 5cm to 20cm by noon tomorrow.
Traffic engineer/project manager & part time auto journalist

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #9871 on: November 15, 2018, 07:40:15 pm »
Found a few bulbs out on the Highlander, so replaced them.  Did a headlamp restoration as well - been a few years and they were starting to cloud over.  Checked the oil in the Corolla, it's used about a half liter in the last 12K - acceptable.  Didn't top it up as I'm going to do an oil change in the next few weeks.

Online rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7212
    • View Profile
« Reply #9872 on: November 15, 2018, 08:09:22 pm »
Checked the oil in the Corolla, it's used about a half liter in the last 12K - acceptable.

1/2 liter in 12k is only acceptable?

What would you consider good then??   :rofl2: :rofl:
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #9873 on: November 15, 2018, 08:16:31 pm »
ZERO USAGE!!!

;D

Offline KD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +359/-263
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Frontier Pro-4X, 2013 Lexus GS-350
« Reply #9874 on: November 15, 2018, 09:02:11 pm »
Driving home in the truck after working late last night and noticed the headlights flickering every once in a while.  It was very subtle and i wasn't even sure it was doing it at first.  I was on the highway and eventually pulled over when i got to a well lit area to check the battering connections.  Sure enough both battery terminals were loose, and I could have pulled off the neg terminal easily.  Tightened them up and all was fine.

Truck was just serviced late last week ffs.  Not unusual though as they just do the bare minimum for general maintenance.  I always check the oil a day, or so after it gets changed and it's usually well below the full line because they just don't put enough in.  Company must have beat them way down in price.  Get what you pay for.  ::)

Offline Dante

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +33/-97
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 VW GTI DSG, 2011 BMW 328i xDrive 6MT, 2007 Mitsubishi Outlander
« Reply #9875 on: November 15, 2018, 10:56:15 pm »
Got the exhaust replaced on the Outlander. I ended up doing the whole thing after all - front to back as the mid-pipe gave up few days in advance of the appointment I had for the flex pipe.

I went "cheap" with aftermarket parts this time as the OEM prices were crazy expensive even discounted. I still got the OEM muffler since I got it for the same price as aftermarket. All pieces fit somehow but I can tell is not OEM. But the price difference was very significant (thousands) compared to aftermarket and given that I'm planning to replace the car anyway in the 2 years or so, I took a chance. The mid-pipe has a slightly different line but it's fine - it's under the car and it doesn't stick out or anything. The car is quiet again which is good.

The bugger who installed the exhaust did not place/tied up a clamp properly on the mid-pipe which is made of two joined pieces and I have a small leak. It doesn't make noticeable noise but I can see condensation dripping when I start the car in cold temp. I have to take it to a local shop to fix it (too much trouble to drive back to the dealership although I could get it fixed for free) and replace the classic exhaust clamp provided with one of those 3" stainless steel clamps (2.5 ID/2.5 OD) while I'm at it. I hope an exhaust shop would have such clamps so I don't have to order online.

I did few other outstanding items and put the winters on:
- replaced the tailgate struts (weren't going up on their own anymore although they were holding the tailgate). I went aftermarket again (Monroe) as the OEM were some crazy money ($115 or so each online).
- replaced the washer fluid pump (was leaking in the winter for few years but I procrastinated to replace it)
- replaced 2 TPMS sensors as the stem is metal and they were corroded (I had one break in my hand few years back when I took the cap out to check the pressure)
- balanced and installed the winter tires
- did an alignment

I'm all set for winter now. Let it snow! Oh... the winter tires are getting old. Probably on their last or second last season at most.

« Last Edit: November 15, 2018, 11:03:20 pm by carcrazy »

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #9876 on: November 15, 2018, 11:11:19 pm »

I went "cheap" with aftermarket parts this time as the OEM prices were crazy expensive even discounted.

OEM exhaust parts can be HELLA pricey.  The kid had a leak on the Forester's exhaust.  Took it to the dealer, they quoted her $2700 in parts plus labour, so over $3K.  LOL!!  I took her to my indie exhaust shop and $80 later, done.

Was a good lesson for her.

Online rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #9877 on: November 15, 2018, 11:26:16 pm »
Got the exhaust replaced on the Outlander. I ended up doing the whole thing after all - front to back as the mid-pipe gave up few days in advance of the appointment I had for the flex pipe.

I went "cheap" with aftermarket parts this time as the OEM prices were crazy expensive even discounted. I still got the OEM muffler since I got it for the same price as aftermarket. All pieces fit somehow but I can tell is not OEM. But the price difference was very significant (thousands) compared to aftermarket and given that I'm planning to replace the car anyway in the 2 years or so, I took a chance. The mid-pipe has a slightly different line but it's fine - it's under the car and it doesn't stick out or anything. The car is quiet again which is good.

The bugger who installed the exhaust did not place/tied up a clamp properly on the mid-pipe which is made of two joined pieces and I have a small leak. It doesn't make noticeable noise but I can see condensation dripping when I start the car in cold temp. I have to take it to a local shop to fix it (too much trouble to drive back to the dealership although I could get it fixed for free) and replace the classic exhaust clamp provided with one of those 3" stainless steel clamps (2.5 ID/2.5 OD) while I'm at it. I hope an exhaust shop would have such clamps so I don't have to order online.

I did few other outstanding items and put the winters on:
- replaced the tailgate struts (weren't going up on their own anymore although they were holding the tailgate). I went aftermarket again (Monroe) as the OEM were some crazy money ($115 or so each online).
- replaced the washer fluid pump (was leaking in the winter for few years but I procrastinated to replace it)
- replaced 2 TPMS sensors as the stem is metal and they were corroded (I had one break in my hand few years back when I took the cap out to check the pressure)
- balanced and installed the winter tires
- did an alignment

I'm all set for winter now. Let it snow! Oh... the winter tires are getting old. Probably on their last or second last season at most.

Oh yea, I remember posting some links for these parts.  Glad you got it done.

As far as the leak?  Before putting on the new clamp, liberally apply some exhaust sealer paste.  Will seal it up perfectly.

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2121
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2020 Toyota Tundra, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #9878 on: November 16, 2018, 12:58:55 am »
Got the studded winters installed on the Jeep right before snowstorm, so far, these are the best winters Ive ever experienced

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

Lighten up Francis.....

Online rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #9879 on: November 16, 2018, 01:14:45 am »
WHAT?  Since when do Jeeps need studded tires?   ;D