Author Topic: What did you do to your car today?  (Read 3010678 times)

Offline CanuckS2K

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +398/-316
    • View Profile
    • Prestige Auto Detail
  • Cars: 1991 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 2005 Honda S2000, 2014 Infiniti Q50S, 2017 Ford F-150 Lariat
Re: What did you do to your car today?
« Reply #9760 on: November 05, 2018, 08:34:11 pm »
Dropped the XK8 off for winter storage. I'd drive it longer into the fall but seasonal plates expire Oct 31 here in NB and they are the only way to avoid a front plate.

Well, not the only way.  I haven't run a front plate on my S2000 since I purchased it 10 years ago nor the Infiniti in 3 years.   ;D
Owner - Prestige Auto Detailing & Hammond River Brewing

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7211
    • View Profile
« Reply #9761 on: November 05, 2018, 08:35:45 pm »
Dropped the XK8 off for winter storage. I'd drive it longer into the fall but seasonal plates expire Oct 31 here in NB and they are the only way to avoid a front plate.

Well, not the only way.  I haven't run a front plate on my S2000 since I purchased it 10 years ago nor the Infiniti in 3 years.   ;D

Must be nice!!

You'd roll about 6 feet here and the SWAT team would be all over you!   :rofl:
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline Railton

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +243/-156
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Infiniti QX60 Touring, 2010 Infiniti G37S 6M, 2020 Hyundai Kona 1.6T Trend
« Reply #9762 on: November 05, 2018, 08:36:51 pm »
I had the Infiniti dealer do the oil change on the G the other week as they sent me a coupon for synthetic Mobil 1 and Infiniti filter for $59.
Walking around the show room they had all these snow tire packages set up for various cars. Took a picture of the Q60 snow set up.
Ouch!
Railton
Do you realize that in about 30 (updated as requested) years, we'll have millions of old ladies running around with tattoos?

Offline sailor723

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +416/-1000
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '17 BMW X5 Xdrive35i, '11 BMW 328iXdrive,
« Reply #9763 on: November 05, 2018, 08:38:29 pm »
I had the Infiniti dealer do the oil change on the G the other week as they sent me a coupon for synthetic Mobil 1 and Infiniti filter for $59.
Walking around the show room they had all these snow tire packages set up for various cars. Took a picture of the Q60 snow set up.
Ouch!
Railton

Holy Fack!!!!  If they are going to screw you that badly I hope they at least give you a kiss.  ;D
Old Jag convertible...one itch I won't have to scratch again.

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #9764 on: November 05, 2018, 08:42:35 pm »
The kid FINALLY got the fuel filler neck repaired on the Forester.  Holy hell, what an ordeal.  She was here and we were going to do it, but the part that came in was completely wrong. FML, luckily they took it back.  Then she wouldn't wait to leave for Revelstoke, so she left with barely being able to gas the car.  GOTTA GET TO THE SKI TOWN!

So, the only place I seemed to be able to get the proper part was OE, and of course, no dealer stocks the parts.  Special order.  Had them shipped to dealer in Vernon, so she went there this morning and had it installed there.

All fixed.  Spent way more than planned, but at least it's fixed and there's a huge headache off the list.

Offline UnknownJinX

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +22/-115
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 19 Camaro 2SS 1LE 6MT, 15 Corvette Z51 7MT(flooded), 09 Mazda RX-8 GT 6MT(sold)
« Reply #9765 on: November 05, 2018, 09:13:16 pm »
"Unless it's broken."

Describes a significant percentage of rotary engines.

Offline CanuckS2K

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +398/-316
    • View Profile
    • Prestige Auto Detail
  • Cars: 1991 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 2005 Honda S2000, 2014 Infiniti Q50S, 2017 Ford F-150 Lariat
« Reply #9766 on: November 05, 2018, 09:14:23 pm »
Ouch!
Railton

Holy sweet jeebus, now that's an expensive winter package.   :o

Offline blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +244/-779
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
  • Cars: and bikes by age:BMW, Porsche, Subaru, Suzuki, Suzuki, Mazda, Jaguar, Kawasaki, Porsche, GMC, Suzuki
« Reply #9767 on: November 05, 2018, 09:49:05 pm »

Must be nice!!

I'd get pulled over immediately with my 911, went almost 5 years without a front plate on the Cayenne.
Depends on what you're driving apparently.  :-\
Mr Pickypants

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #9768 on: November 05, 2018, 09:58:10 pm »

Offline ChaosphereIX

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +187/-377
  • Wont run with the pack
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Jaguar XJR-L
« Reply #9769 on: November 05, 2018, 10:02:47 pm »

Must be nice!!

I'd get pulled over immediately with my 911, went almost 5 years without a front plate on the Cayenne.
Yep.
Tried taking off the front plate on the Alfa, lasted about 15 minutes (time it takes to get into town) honestly. Cop had a laugh when I said I was taking bets on how soon I would get pulled over, he said it is bright red and loud...what did you expect? Fair enough.....
If driving an Alfa does not restore vitality to your soul, then just pass the hospital and park at the morgue to save everyone time.

Now drives a Jaaaaaaag...and thus will not pay for anything during an outing...but it is OK, because....I drive a Jaaaaaag.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #9770 on: November 05, 2018, 10:08:01 pm »
^^Here, the police have nothing better to do.  If your headlight is crooked by 1 degree, you'll get pulled over for that.

Literally they have nothing else to do here.

Offline tortoise

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +236/-453
    • View Profile
« Reply #9771 on: November 05, 2018, 10:08:27 pm »
Only the slow and dim know where they're going in life, and seldom is it worth the trip. - Tom Robbins.

Offline ChaosphereIX

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +187/-377
  • Wont run with the pack
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Jaguar XJR-L
« Reply #9772 on: November 05, 2018, 10:09:25 pm »
^^Here, the police have nothing better to do.  If your headlight is crooked by 1 degree, you'll get pulled over for that.

Kinda sad. Can't they outsource to Detroit? They must need all the help they can get.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #9773 on: November 05, 2018, 10:11:54 pm »

Kinda sad. Can't they outsource to Detroit? They must need all the help they can get.

Detroit is warzone, that's for sure.  Even the Chief of Police was a victim of attempted carjacking there!!

Offline sailor723

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +416/-1000
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '17 BMW X5 Xdrive35i, '11 BMW 328iXdrive,
« Reply #9774 on: November 05, 2018, 10:18:02 pm »

Must be nice!!

We actually inadvertently drove our 328 for 4 months with expired plates and expired MVI the first year we owned it.  (bought it in Sept but it had been plated and inspected in May as a demo)

I had just assumed everything was fresh at time of purchase and never noticed the stickers.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #9775 on: November 05, 2018, 10:19:57 pm »

Must be nice!!

We actually inadvertently drove our 328 for 4 months with expired plates and expired MVI the first year we owned it.  (bought it in Sept but it had been plated and inspected in May as a demo)

I had just assumed everything was fresh at time of purchase and never noticed the stickers.

Again...you'd last, at best, half a day here.  The police have automatic plate scanners and they camp out at intersections scanning every car that goes by.

Offline Blueprint

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +170/-232
  • member since way back when
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 Mazda CX-90 GS-L PHEV, 2022 Subaru Crosstrek Limited, 1975 Triumph TR6
« Reply #9776 on: November 05, 2018, 10:39:54 pm »
Washed and waxed all eight winter wheels - the Audi's VW alloys and the Ody's steelies, plus washed / waxed the van's wheel covers. Still not mounted though, but ready.
Traffic engineer/project manager & part time auto journalist

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #9777 on: November 05, 2018, 10:40:44 pm »
Washed and waxed all eight winter wheels - the Audi's VW alloys and the Ody's steelies, plus washed / waxed the van's wheel covers. Still not mounted though, but ready.

You use a specialty wheel wax by chance?

Offline mlin32

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +65/-419
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Peugeot 308 GT; 2015 Yamaha YZF-R3
« Reply #9778 on: November 06, 2018, 04:37:54 am »

Must be nice!!

Yep.
Tried taking off the front plate on the Alfa, lasted about 15 minutes (time it takes to get into town) honestly. Cop had a laugh when I said I was taking bets on how soon I would get pulled over, he said it is bright red and loud...what did you expect? Fair enough.....
When I was at university in the US state of Virginia, I never ran a front plate for years and never got in trouble for it. Granted, in the northern suburbs they are sticklers (so I hear) but in the central and southern parts they never cared, presumably because all the other neighbouring states didn't have them.

The Italians and Swiss are cool in the sense that their front plates are tiny compared to the standard EU size. Hence how even today, Alfas don't seem to be designed with the concept of a full sized front plate.
ø cons: Peugeot 308: Yamaha R3 [/URL]

Offline tenpenny

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +137/-305
    • View Profile
« Reply #9779 on: November 06, 2018, 09:54:02 am »
I took my car in for an oil change once, the guy called me and said, 'Do you want us to do an MVI?  It expired three months ago'.
My diesel car self-identifies as an electric vehicle.