Author Topic: What did you do to your car today?  (Read 3010471 times)

Offline Arthur Dent

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +186/-80
  • 42?
    • View Profile
Re: What did you do to your car today?
« Reply #9660 on: November 01, 2018, 08:43:38 pm »
3,500 kms a year in a hobby ain't bad actually.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7210
    • View Profile
« Reply #9661 on: November 01, 2018, 08:45:32 pm »
I was ready for that.  ;D

Remember: I was in Australia from Sept 2014 to Feb 2018. So that is 3 summers and 2 months I didn't drive it at all.

Not that it is my highest priority, but I also want to cherish the drives in the Alfa, not waste it on traffic or mundane drives. So it doesnt come out all the time. Plus it keeps the mileage down a tad for when I might sell it - its value is going way up so gotta be mindful of that. But still, when I do take her out, I enjoy the crap out of the drive and fly around like an Italian car should be driven.

I think you are being a little harsh here man...

I don't think I am.

You cars KM is already past "investment grade" and well and firmly into "driver grade".  At this point KMs means little compared to overall condition.  So as long as you keep the condition up, additional KMs will have little impact IMO (I know this from my aircooled 911 and Supra, who's values skyrocketed).  So drive the facking thing.

Its like keeping your girlfriend a virgin for her next boyfriend.....
« Last Edit: November 01, 2018, 08:47:58 pm by rrocket »
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Online Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +268/-457
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mazda CX-5
« Reply #9662 on: November 01, 2018, 08:49:21 pm »
I was ready for that.  ;D

Remember: I was in Australia from Sept 2014 to Feb 2018. So that is 3 summers and 2 months I didn't drive it at all.

Not that it is my highest priority, but I also want to cherish the drives in the Alfa, not waste it on traffic or mundane drives. So it doesnt come out all the time. Plus it keeps the mileage down a tad for when I might sell it - its value is going way up so gotta be mindful of that. But still, when I do take her out, I enjoy the crap out of the drive and fly around like an Italian car should be driven.

I think you are being a little harsh here man...

I don't think I am.

You cars KM is already past "investment grade" and well and firmly into "driver grade".  At this point KMs means little compared to overall condition.  So as long as you keep the condition up, additional KMs will have little impact IMO (I know this from my aircooled 911 and Supra, who's values skyrocketed).  So drive the facking thing.

Its like keeping your girlfriend a virgin for her next boyfriend.....

Except you don't 'sell' your girlfriend to her next boyfriend...

Anyways, if you're giving up your girlfriend to another guy, it's because she's got problems that you don't want to deal with anymore.  Kinda like your TT... :rofl:

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #9663 on: November 01, 2018, 08:52:30 pm »
I'm at just shy of 150K on the Miata.  Seven summers, bought it with 92K on it.  So that's 58K, or 8300km/year.  Some were over 10K, this year was pretty sparse thanks to the snow we had until June and that came back in September.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #9664 on: November 01, 2018, 08:53:35 pm »

Anyways, if you're giving up your girlfriend to another guy, it's because she's got problems that you don't want to deal with anymore.

A super hot GF could possibly be expensive and high maintenance...just like a car.

At some point you might not be able afford her...or want to.   ;D

Offline ChaosphereIX

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +187/-377
  • Wont run with the pack
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Jaguar XJR-L
« Reply #9665 on: November 01, 2018, 08:56:00 pm »
I hear you, and like I said, keeping the car as an investment is not my #1 priority. If it was, I would not have driven it at all to keep it under 100k. Its condition is fantastic and I plan on keeping it like that.

I drive it any decent chance I get. It is a summer car, I have been away, and it IS Italian, so it has seen some shop time too (not all of it the car's fault).

I am trying OK? If you ever want to go for a drive next summer to put some miles on, you just gimme a call. Would love to tear up some back roads trying, and failing miserably, to keep up with your IS-F.
If driving an Alfa does not restore vitality to your soul, then just pass the hospital and park at the morgue to save everyone time.

Now drives a Jaaaaaaag...and thus will not pay for anything during an outing...but it is OK, because....I drive a Jaaaaaag.

Offline Gurgie

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-518
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Honda Passport Touring
« Reply #9666 on: November 01, 2018, 09:03:45 pm »
^hard to drive the car too much when you're working from home on your thesis... only can take it out for a spin to meet me for beers so many times a week [emoji12]

Easy to put miles on when you have an actual commute every day. My commute is 18kms round trip,so both the 951 & JGC don't get huge miles.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

You live everyday. You only die once....

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #9667 on: November 01, 2018, 09:15:35 pm »
I hear you, and like I said, keeping the car as an investment is not my #1 priority. If it was, I would not have driven it at all to keep it under 100k. Its condition is fantastic and I plan on keeping it like that.

I drive it any decent chance I get. It is a summer car, I have been away, and it IS Italian, so it has seen some shop time too (not all of it the car's fault).

I am trying OK? If you ever want to go for a drive next summer to put some miles on, you just gimme a call. Would love to tear up some back roads trying, and failing miserably, to keep up with your IS-F.

I'm sure you'd keep up just fine since I don't drive like a hooligan on the street......

Offline ChaosphereIX

• Car Crazy
  • Wont run with the pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #9668 on: November 01, 2018, 09:28:15 pm »
^hard to drive the car too much when you're working from home on your thesis... only can take it out for a spin to meet me for beers so many times a week [emoji12]

Easy to put miles on when you have an actual commute every day. My commute is 18kms round trip,so both the 951 & JGC don't get huge miles.

good point, obviously we need to: get beers more often, and at out-of-the-way places to pack the miles onto our beasts

but I see you didn't put up numbers for the 951...good call, as it avoids the "pathetic" label being thrown your way for not putting on "huge miles" on your dedicated sports car!  :P

Offline ChaosphereIX

• Car Crazy
  • Wont run with the pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #9669 on: November 01, 2018, 09:30:28 pm »

I'm sure you'd keep up just fine since I don't drive like a hooligan on the street......
well, try not to waste all that power and handling prowess in the IS-F not driving "like a hooligan" now...dont want someone to start judging you for how you drive your car  ;)

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #9670 on: November 01, 2018, 09:31:51 pm »

well, try not to waste all that power and handling prowess in the IS-F not driving "like a hooligan" now...dont want someone to start judging you for how you drive your car ;)

At least I drive my car though!   ;D

Honestly, it's more about self preservation with the "street racing" tickets being handed out in Ontario.  I'm sure the Alfa easily can get 50 over the limit in a hurry!
« Last Edit: November 01, 2018, 09:33:49 pm by rrocket »

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #9671 on: November 01, 2018, 09:32:11 pm »
Let's see RR roll it three times on the parking lot so we can compare roof lines with a Golf R...

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #9672 on: November 01, 2018, 09:32:41 pm »

good point, obviously we need to: get beers more often, and at out-of-the-way places to pack the miles onto our beasts

but I see you didn't put up numbers for the 951...good call, as it avoids the "pathetic" label being thrown your way for not putting on "huge miles" on your dedicated sports car!  :P

Don't kid yourself.

He's pathetic...but not because of the mileage on his car.    :rofl: :rofl2:

Offline ChaosphereIX

• Car Crazy
  • Wont run with the pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #9673 on: November 01, 2018, 09:44:31 pm »

well, try not to waste all that power and handling prowess in the IS-F not driving "like a hooligan" now...dont want someone to start judging you for how you drive your car ;)

At least I drive my car though!   ;D

Honestly, it's more about self preservation with the "street racing" tickets being handed out in Ontario.  I'm sure the Alfa easily can get 50 over the limit in a hurry!
Yes it does...engine pulls strong from 3000-7000. Get in trouble territory pretty quick.

But as I said, you are not being fair...I drive my Alfa as often as I can, within reason. Considering my lifestyle, it sees more miles than it should.

Don't kid yourself.

aw man....dont be insulting my friend like that...

have you met Gurgie? Not sure you wanna be sayin that...he is a scrapper.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #9674 on: November 01, 2018, 09:48:03 pm »

aw man....dont be insulting my friend like that...

PM sent.

Offline Gurgie

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-518
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Honda Passport Touring
« Reply #9675 on: November 01, 2018, 09:59:10 pm »

but I see you didn't put up numbers for the 951...good call, as it avoids the "pathetic" label being thrown your way for not putting on "huge miles" on your dedicated sports car!  [emoji14]

Don't kid yourself.

Hey man, where'd that come from? WTF!!!??? Ha, ha, ha!

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +117/-442
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Land Rover LR4, Honda Ridgeline, Husqvarna FE501
« Reply #9676 on: November 02, 2018, 01:06:36 am »
Ok some fun Land Rover facts.

1) putting on the winters you need a very high lift floor jack as the air suspension does its darndest to keep the wheels on the ground.

2) caliper pins with rubber grommets should be banned. Damn you permatex and your synthetic "safe for all rubber" synthetic brake grease. The pin wouldn't come out very much. Amazingly I bent the pin yanking it out with a big set of vice grips and plenty of swearing. Being a slow learner I gave more $$ to the Permatex folks and bought some silicone/ceramic based grease that apparently won't melt even if thrown into the sun. Plus the new lube is bright orange.

« Last Edit: November 02, 2018, 01:08:40 am by ktm525 »

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #9677 on: November 02, 2018, 01:08:49 am »
You can't shut the compressor off??

On all the cars I've owned with air, you just pull a fuse to disable the compressor before the wheels come off the ground.

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +117/-442
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Land Rover LR4, Honda Ridgeline, Husqvarna FE501
« Reply #9678 on: November 02, 2018, 01:11:34 am »

On all the cars I've owned with air, you just pull a fuse to disable the compressor before the wheels come off the ground.

It has a large air tank.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #9679 on: November 02, 2018, 01:12:45 am »

It has a large air tank.

So even when the car is off, it's sending the pressurized air to the struts??