Author Topic: What did you do to your car today?  (Read 3010358 times)

Offline BWII

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +188/-376
    • View Profile
Re: What did you do to your car today?
« Reply #9640 on: October 31, 2018, 11:38:53 pm »
Put the winters on.  Figured once the trick or treaters were done, it'd be a good time to do it.

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #9641 on: November 01, 2018, 01:57:53 am »
I did it before the kids started knocking. Did both the HL and Corolla. Snow in the forecast as well as some mountain trips planned, so time to get 'er done.

Washed the Miata. Will install the hard top tomorrow for hibernation.

Offline ChaosphereIX

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +187/-377
  • Wont run with the pack
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Jaguar XJR-L
« Reply #9642 on: November 01, 2018, 11:52:02 am »
Prepared the Alfa for winter storage. She goes in the barn today. Gonna miss her dearly over the dreary winter months...
If driving an Alfa does not restore vitality to your soul, then just pass the hospital and park at the morgue to save everyone time.

Now drives a Jaaaaaaag...and thus will not pay for anything during an outing...but it is OK, because....I drive a Jaaaaaag.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7210
    • View Profile
« Reply #9643 on: November 01, 2018, 12:57:27 pm »
Prepared the Alfa for winter storage. She goes in the barn today. Gonna miss her dearly over the dreary winter months...
Am doing the opposite today...getting the Is-f ready for winter duty with winter wheels/tires. Oil spray supposed to be Friday!
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline BWII

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #9644 on: November 01, 2018, 02:08:48 pm »
Plasti-dipping the (new-to-me) winter rims for the golf. Gunmetal Grey with graphite "metalizer". We'll see how it turns out.

Aaand I'm pretty happy with the results. Originally standard silver colour seen on most vw cars. Looking forward to mounting the winters now!

Can you plasti-dip over corroded wheels?  My kid's winter set for his 5.0 is a set of the 18" V6 wheels, and they are uhg-lee!  I told him he's probably have to sand them smoother, otherwise you'd still have all those varicose veins popping out all over the place. That's how nasty they are.  Was thinking we'd just take an orbital sander and make them as smooth as possible, clear coat be damned since it looks like shi# anyway.

Oh, and how many cans does that need? 
« Last Edit: November 01, 2018, 02:11:55 pm by BWII »

Offline tortoise

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +236/-453
    • View Profile
« Reply #9645 on: November 01, 2018, 03:03:15 pm »
Plasti-dipping the (new-to-me) winter rims for the golf. Gunmetal Grey with graphite "metalizer". We'll see how it turns out.
Nice work!

If it holds up well I might do my summer wheels.  The gun metal would look good on a white car.
Only the slow and dim know where they're going in life, and seldom is it worth the trip. - Tom Robbins.

Offline KD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +359/-263
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Frontier Pro-4X, 2013 Lexus GS-350
« Reply #9646 on: November 01, 2018, 03:06:34 pm »

Aaand I'm pretty happy with the results. Originally standard silver colour seen on most vw cars. Looking forward to mounting the winters now!

Can you plasti-dip over corroded wheels?  My kid's winter set for his 5.0 is a set of the 18" V6 wheels, and they are uhg-lee!  I told him he's probably have to sand them smoother, otherwise you'd still have all those varicose veins popping out all over the place. That's how nasty they are.  Was thinking we'd just take an orbital sander and make them as smooth as possible, clear coat be damned since it looks like shi# anyway.

A friend of mine  bought some cans while he was in the US last week and said it was about 1/4 the cost.

Offline pi314

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +59/-95
    • View Profile
  • Cars: VW Golf Sportwagen 4Motion 6MT ;Dearly Departed 2015 Honda Fit EX 6MT
« Reply #9647 on: November 01, 2018, 05:22:59 pm »

I bought 4 cans of plasti dip and 2 cans of metalizer and that was more than enough. My coats might be a tad too thin to be easy to remove which shouldn't have been an issue had I used all four cans. I got it from these guys: https://dipit.ca/. They're based outside ottawa so I just visited their storefront but prices are good.

In your case though I'd look at using standard wheel paint - you might need far less, and if you paint then smooth areas with bondo or whatever it might look better. You can also clear coat after. Definitely consider that option as well. Could paint them black and then high-gloss.

Nice work!

If it holds up well I might do my summer wheels.  The gun metal would look good on a white car.

I was thinking about how it'd look great on white. For summer wheels I think they'd hold up no problem. My black plasti dip held up quite well.

Offline ChaosphereIX

• Car Crazy
  • Wont run with the pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #9648 on: November 01, 2018, 06:04:12 pm »
well the Alfa is in the barn now, and have to see her one more time (left the garage opener in it duh) and then the long wait to April-May begins

Offline BWII

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #9649 on: November 01, 2018, 06:29:37 pm »

A friend of mine  bought some cans while he was in the US last week and said it was about 1/4 the cost.

Cdn Tire price matches...my kid got a can of black for around $10 I think. Sprayed his a-pillars - doesn't like the windshield cover for winter scuffing them up.  Black shows everything.

I bought 4 cans of plasti dip and 2 cans of metalizer and that was more than enough.

Thanks.

Offline BWII

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #9650 on: November 01, 2018, 06:50:55 pm »
Oh!  And I just realized on my way home from work that Oct 28th was 7 yrs to the day with the Fusion.  188,500+ km...bought it with 10,907.  25,000 km per year.  Ouch.  Didn't think it was that much.

Online valuator

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +36/-115
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 Pilot TrailSport, 2015 Outback 3.6R, 2012 BMW 128i
« Reply #9651 on: November 01, 2018, 08:08:57 pm »
Oh!  And I just realized on my way home from work that Oct 28th was 7 yrs to the day with the Fusion.  188,500+ km...bought it with 10,907.  25,000 km per year.  Ouch.  Didn't think it was that much.

That's about average for NB I'd say.  Would be interesting to see everyone post their current mileage and how much they drive per year. 

Offline ChaosphereIX

• Car Crazy
  • Wont run with the pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #9652 on: November 01, 2018, 08:24:59 pm »

That's about average for NB I'd say.  Would be interesting to see everyone post their current mileage and how much they drive per year.

Saab: 255,000. Bought in 2011 with 80,000. So around 25k per year.
Alfa: 108,000. Bought in 2012 with 87,000. So 3,500 a year.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #9653 on: November 01, 2018, 08:27:09 pm »

That's pathetic.

Offline ChaosphereIX

• Car Crazy
  • Wont run with the pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #9654 on: November 01, 2018, 08:29:57 pm »

That's pathetic.
how so? Also, a smiley or something would be appreciated to know you were not being a complete dick, only dickishly joking  :P

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #9655 on: November 01, 2018, 08:32:46 pm »

That's pathetic.
how so? Also, a smiley or something would be appreciated to know you were not being a complete dick, only dickishly joking  :P

I'm not joking.

For allegedly "loving" that car/love driving it...you sure don't very often. 

What a waste.

Offline ChaosphereIX

• Car Crazy
  • Wont run with the pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #9656 on: November 01, 2018, 08:37:38 pm »
I was ready for that.  ;D

Remember: I was in Australia from Sept 2014 to Feb 2018. So that is 3 summers and 2 months I didn't drive it at all.

Not that it is my highest priority, but I also want to cherish the drives in the Alfa, not waste it on traffic or mundane drives. So it doesnt come out all the time. Plus it keeps the mileage down a tad for when I might sell it - its value is going way up so gotta be mindful of that. But still, when I do take her out, I enjoy the crap out of the drive and fly around like an Italian car should be driven.

I think you are being a little harsh here man...

Online Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +268/-457
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mazda CX-5
« Reply #9657 on: November 01, 2018, 08:40:05 pm »
^^^ Don't listen to him.  He's just grumpy because he's got FGC problems.  He'll be back to normal when winter is over and the TT gets garaged.

On another note:  How do you know if a dude really, really loves his wife:  She wants an FGC, so he finds one for her to buy, and then he spends all of the next 5 years dealing with all the little FGC gremlins that pop up.  That's true love, right there.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #9658 on: November 01, 2018, 08:42:19 pm »
^^^ Don't listen to him.  He's just grumpy because he's got FGC problems.  He'll be back to normal when winter is over and the TT gets garaged.

On another note:  How do you know if a dude really, really loves his wife:  She wants an FGC, so he finds one for her to buy, and then he spends all of the next 5 years dealing with all the little FGC gremlins that pop up.  That's true love, right there.

No grumpiness here...I'm enjoying my IS-F immensely!! 

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #9659 on: November 01, 2018, 08:42:34 pm »

Or there's no one else that would marry him and he knows it?

:rofl2: