Author Topic: What did you do to your car today?  (Read 3010284 times)

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2121
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2020 Toyota Tundra, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
Re: What did you do to your car today?
« Reply #9600 on: October 26, 2018, 01:06:20 pm »
Haven't done the VWs yet, I am assuming it's not gonna be great. Because, Germans.

HAHAHAHA.  Yup. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=beHsZMxiKHs

WTF VW?

Having to remove the front bumper to replace a headlight bulb....thats a paddling!!
Lighten up Francis.....

Offline tortoise

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +236/-453
    • View Profile
« Reply #9601 on: October 26, 2018, 01:09:23 pm »
Hehehe.

Apparently you can do the passenger side without removing anything. It sucks but it's doable.  Going in through the wheel well on the drivers side is supposed to be the best way.

Oh well. At least VWs don't go through headlights.  Right?
Only the slow and dim know where they're going in life, and seldom is it worth the trip. - Tom Robbins.

Offline PJungnitsch

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +170/-337
    • View Profile
    • Travel in Africa
  • Cars: Subaru Crosstrek, Lexus RX350, Evolve Carbon, Biktrix Juggernaut, Yamaha TW200
« Reply #9602 on: October 26, 2018, 01:15:03 pm »
Changed oil on the Vibe last night, trying out 0w20 for the first time, apparently even for a 2004 Toyota has upgraded the spec from the 5w30 it shipped with

Also changed out the rear O2 sensor when it was on the ramp, unscrewed easily and the wire came out at the edge of footwell carpet, so easy to get at. Replacement looked same as stock and fit perfectly. Getting very impressed with Amazon for car parts

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +268/-457
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mazda CX-5
« Reply #9603 on: October 26, 2018, 01:35:02 pm »
Why not just do it yourself?  I assume there's a drain bolt.  Drain the pan, refill, drive 1000km, drain and refill again.

I had to change a light bulb on the Highlander yesterday.  It wouldn't normally comment, but it was soooo easy.  No reading the manual. Just turn counter clockwise for 1/4 turn, remove clip, replace bulb, turn clockwise 1/4 turn.  Done in like 2 minutes.  Coming from a series of Mazdas where you had to attach that stupid f'n clip, this was a godsend.  Overall, it's amazing how easy it is to work on.

Haven't done the VWs yet, I am assuming it's not gonna be great. Because, Germans.

5 years ago, I would have.  But the combination of a lack of time, gravel driveway, and upcoming winter, is leading me to just want to pay to get it done and avoid the hassle. 

Offline tortoise

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +236/-453
    • View Profile
« Reply #9604 on: October 26, 2018, 01:43:27 pm »
Fair enough. It's pretty cheap considering the next time you'll do it is at 210k km.

Offline me_2

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +300/-76
  • 2014 Volt, 2001 Saturn SW2. Son's DD: 2015 Volt
    • View Profile
« Reply #9605 on: October 27, 2018, 02:35:39 pm »
Nokian Hakkapeliitta R2 winter boots are on my Volt "Ampera" style mags for their third season.

Now, they are selling the R3 version of those https://www.nokiantires.com/winter-tires/nokian-hakkapeliitta-r3/
« Last Edit: October 27, 2018, 02:38:26 pm by me_2 »
Gone but not forgotten in chronological order: 2019 Volt, 2013 Volt, 2014 Spark EV, 2012 Volt and many others before...

Offline Scaerio

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +193/-127
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2013 Volvo C30 T5; all my exes: 2005 Suzuki Aerio SE, '02 Renault Clio, '93 Volvo 850 GLT, '78 MB W-123 230
« Reply #9606 on: October 27, 2018, 05:24:01 pm »
Hehehe.

Apparently you can do the passenger side without removing anything. It sucks but it's doable.  Going in through the wheel well on the drivers side is supposed to be the best way.

Oh well. At least VWs don't go through headlights.  Right?

You know that changing the cabin air filter in a Volvo C30, S40, and V50 requires removing the gas pedal, right? And you thought assembling Ikea stuff was a PITA...

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=R0PboVMeHaw
« Last Edit: October 27, 2018, 06:43:37 pm by Scaerio »
I'd rather be car-poor than house-poor...

Offline jamie1

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +22/-20
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Acura TSX, 2014 Jeep Cherokee Limited ADI,2007 Mazda MX-5 Miata PRHT GT
« Reply #9607 on: October 27, 2018, 06:41:49 pm »
Put the roadster away for the season.  :'(
Enjoying the Alberta advantage

Offline ChaosphereIX

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +187/-377
  • Wont run with the pack
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Jaguar XJR-L
« Reply #9608 on: October 27, 2018, 09:07:08 pm »
worried about it

The ground is covered with snow right now...how do I get the Alfa from my garage to the storage barn 10 minutes away without it disintegrating?

This snow better go away leaving nice dry roads after Halloween.
If driving an Alfa does not restore vitality to your soul, then just pass the hospital and park at the morgue to save everyone time.

Now drives a Jaaaaaaag...and thus will not pay for anything during an outing...but it is OK, because....I drive a Jaaaaaag.

Offline sailor723

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +416/-1000
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '17 BMW X5 Xdrive35i, '11 BMW 328iXdrive,
« Reply #9609 on: October 27, 2018, 09:10:21 pm »
Put the roadster away for the season.  :'(

Jag is going next week  :(  (seasonal plates expire on Nov 1)
Old Jag convertible...one itch I won't have to scratch again.

Offline Gurgie

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-518
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Honda Passport Touring
« Reply #9610 on: October 27, 2018, 10:24:24 pm »
worried about it

The ground is covered with snow right now...how do I get the Alfa from my garage to the storage barn 10 minutes away without it disintegrating?

Dude, I golfed today, saw your Saab on the driveway actually. Wednesday is gonna be +12, and then the weekend is +8... this snow isn't gonna stick around.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

You live everyday. You only die once....

Offline ChaosphereIX

• Car Crazy
  • Wont run with the pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #9611 on: October 27, 2018, 11:06:48 pm »
worried about it

Dude, I golfed today, saw your Saab on the driveway actually. Wednesday is gonna be +12, and then the weekend is +8... this snow isn't gonna stick around.

should have stopped in for a beer!

did you golf in snowpants? brrrrrrrr

Offline Gurgie

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-518
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Honda Passport Touring
« Reply #9612 on: October 28, 2018, 12:17:51 am »
worried about it

should have stopped in for a beer!

did you golf in snowpants? brrrrrrrr
I should have! The courses bar was closed when we were done. Luckily I packed a few [emoji6]

Offline BWII

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +188/-376
    • View Profile
« Reply #9613 on: October 28, 2018, 11:03:54 am »
Picture of the start of the rusty spots on my car.  Got off my arse and took some pics.  $1400ish because pearl.  Goes around to the bumper...just small bubble back there, this is the worst spot.  :( Oh well, what can you do.

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #9614 on: October 28, 2018, 12:21:37 pm »
It looks like it is on every spot weld

Offline ChaosphereIX

• Car Crazy
  • Wont run with the pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #9615 on: October 28, 2018, 12:23:44 pm »
ouch, hope you can sort it out easily...or leave it and let the car slowly rot...had to make that call on the Saab, the rust repair would cost more than the car is worth, so brown it is

Offline BWII

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +188/-376
    • View Profile
« Reply #9616 on: October 28, 2018, 02:08:39 pm »
Yeah, it's pretty ugly.  Nothing else like it anywhere on the car.  And you can't hide it either, unless I traded it in while really dirty.  But it too, is worth what, maybe $7000? $3500 as a trade? Doubtful it'd be anywhere near 10 privately.  So, do you spend almost $1500 (or more) on it or, it's 8 yrs old, rest of it look fantastic, take care of it and just keep driving it until it eventually dies.  So another 15 or more years.

Damn that shouldn't make me so sad...but it does.  Such finality.  :'( :-\ :(

Anywho...just finished changing oil on the Sonic.  Oops I spilled a bit too much on the outside of the fill hole.  Shoulda grabbed that damn funnel. 

Noticed when I started it up and put it in reverse it was making some loud metal on metal sounds.  Nothing lose I could find under the car, hope it's not a busted clutch fork or something stupid expensive.  Then it quit and I couldn't get it to do it again.  I know it's not the kid...haha...because last weekend I took it to the end of the alley and tried to get it to burn a little rubber (new asphalt) - neighbour was outside talking to another neighbour, figured I'd go mar his new street since we didn't get one! (next year they say) Made a barely chirp, needs more power.  Should've taken the truck to do it.  I probably broke something if anything broke at all.

As I drive by his wife says "you're such a teenager!" Yup, new blacktop, needs to be christened!
Fail

Offline Firm

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +232/-1072
  • Urban Hick
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 XKR, 2007 DTS, 2006 Escalade, 2000 Sonoma ZQ8,1996 Firebird, 1996 Firebird Formula, 1985 Trans Am, 1984 Camaro, 1978 MGB x2
« Reply #9617 on: October 28, 2018, 05:26:08 pm »
^ hmm, doesn't sound good on the Sonic. Sucks about that rust too, that's a tricky fix because that area is so visible, if it's not blended perfectly (which is extra hard with pearl) it'll stand out like a sore thumb. My MIL has a Fusion, 2009 I think, it's rusting everywhere, where yours is, plus the bottom edges of the doors, and on the roof above the windshield. Course, they don't exactly take care of it (I don't think it's ever been washed), so whatever.
If the car still runs good I'd probably pay the $1500 and get it fixed, then get it oiled and drive it.

Today I battled the on-off rain and replaced the 'choke thermostat' on the Trans Am. It has an electric choke with a little heating element, when you start the car the element receives 12V and begins to heat the thermostatic coil, which pulls the choke off as it heats up. Well, the last couple of times I drove the car the choke was taking much too long to come completely off, I did some diagnostics and found that the heating element in the thermostat was either broken or not working as well as it is supposed to. $50 for a new one and about 45 minutes to swap it out and reset the choke to the correct adjustments.

Running beauty now, even got a break in the rain so I took it out to run some errands.

Also found a wet spot in the trunk of the DTS, pulled back the carpet and found a grommet for a wiring harness and a sunroof drain tube had pulled away and was letting water in. Super easy to spot, and easy to re-seat the grommet, this time with some dialectic grease, so hopefully that's solved too.

Offline pi314

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +59/-95
    • View Profile
  • Cars: VW Golf Sportwagen 4Motion 6MT ;Dearly Departed 2015 Honda Fit EX 6MT
« Reply #9618 on: October 28, 2018, 05:43:56 pm »

HAHAHAHA.  Yup. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=beHsZMxiKHs

WTF VW?

Oh god. Now I really want to replace my headlights with the led helix ones....

Offline bridgecity

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +126/-182
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 MDX; 2007 Tundra
« Reply #9619 on: October 28, 2018, 05:44:56 pm »
^Looking great as always Firm.

Put the winters on the X today, and washed it. That’s it. Lazy Sunday. Gonna have a Granville Island brew on the deck while dinner smokes. Nice day, need to enjoy it as the end is nigh.  ;D
Quality is never an accident; it is always the result of high intention, sincere effort, intelligent direction, and skillful execution; it represents the wise choice of many alternatives.