Author Topic: What did you do to your car today?  (Read 3010268 times)

Offline blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +244/-779
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
  • Cars: and bikes by age:BMW, Porsche, Subaru, Suzuki, Suzuki, Mazda, Jaguar, Kawasaki, Porsche, GMC, Suzuki
Re: What did you do to your car today?
« Reply #9580 on: October 25, 2018, 10:22:49 am »
I know it's already been asked but what's a CD player?  ;D Is it a camera that'll only take pictures in portrait orientation?
It's a device rapidly going the way of the cassette player.

When my parents saw my Peugeot......."Oh, there's no CD player ? What are we doing to do with all our classical music CDs. "

My response : "Put them on a USB stick......"

My Miata has both a CD player and a cassette deck.  I'm full retro.
Think I'll leave the top latched for the winter storage.  Doesn't really  matter as I have a new top to go on in the spring
Mr Pickypants

Offline Gurgie

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-518
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Honda Passport Touring
« Reply #9581 on: October 25, 2018, 10:42:53 am »
I know it's already been asked but what's a CD player?  ;D Is it a camera that'll only take pictures in portrait orientation?
It's a device rapidly going the way of the cassette player.

When my parents saw my Peugeot......."Oh, there's no CD player ? What are we doing to do with all our classical music CDs. "

My response : "Put them on a USB stick......"

Think I'll leave the top latched for the winter storage.  Doesn't really  matter as I have a new top to go on in the spring

I have a Blaupunkt removable cassette player in the 951  :P

You live everyday. You only die once....

Offline tortoise

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +236/-453
    • View Profile
« Reply #9582 on: October 25, 2018, 10:57:02 am »
On a related topic, does anyone actually use SD cards as a medium for playing music ? I find it stupid that my mother's Audi A3 has no USB playing slot (charge only) but has a SD card slot for media.

I have an SD card loaded with music in the Golf.  It's great for when I don't feel like streaming from my phone.  I like the low profile form factor vs. a USB stick.

Same in the Highlander.  My parents have some old tapes kicking around. Looking forward to blowing the kids minds.
Only the slow and dim know where they're going in life, and seldom is it worth the trip. - Tom Robbins.

Offline Seafoam

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +89/-202
    • View Profile
« Reply #9583 on: October 25, 2018, 11:05:19 am »
In my experience, tops shrink when they age, so I like to store them up and latched.

Vinyl or cloth ? I have installed a few miata tops and the cloth seem to require less stretching when you install them.
I wonder if this somehow relates to the latch unlatch predicament.
2023 Honda Civic EX-B
2004 Mazdaspeed Miata

Online Firm

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +232/-1072
  • Urban Hick
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 XKR, 2007 DTS, 2006 Escalade, 2000 Sonoma ZQ8,1996 Firebird, 1996 Firebird Formula, 1985 Trans Am, 1984 Camaro, 1978 MGB x2
« Reply #9584 on: October 25, 2018, 11:10:34 am »
In my experience, tops shrink when they age, so I like to store them up and latched.

Vinyl or cloth ? I have installed a few miata tops and the cloth seem to require less stretching when you install them.
I wonder if this somehow relates to the latch unlatch predicament.

Both; vinyl shrinks worse, but cloth seems to do it too to some extent. Cloth is less stretchable though when installing as you pointed out; which makes it a bit more difficult to do...You can correct a wrinkle in a vinyl top install by just stretching that area out a bit more, whereas a crease in a cloth install is more difficult to deal with.

Offline HeliDriver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +176/-235
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Crosstrek Sport 6MT; 2011 Yukon XL 2500
« Reply #9585 on: October 25, 2018, 12:45:10 pm »
So, bit of an update to that parking brake job I did on the weekend...

On Monday morning, I drove the Yukon 120 km into the city to get the front diff rebuilt (again! But that’s another story >:( ).  I picked it up yesterday afternoon, and the first thing I see when I get in is a pair of vice grips and a 10 mm wrench laying in the console. ???

The service guy happened to be standing right there, and just as I turn to ask him what’s up with the tools, I think to myself “Hey, those look familiar...”

Service guy says “Oh yeah, there was a note on the work order. Tech says he found some tools hanging from the parking brake adjuster.”

:-[  :shuffle:

Offline pi314

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +59/-95
    • View Profile
  • Cars: VW Golf Sportwagen 4Motion 6MT ;Dearly Departed 2015 Honda Fit EX 6MT
« Reply #9586 on: October 25, 2018, 01:26:22 pm »
 :rofl2:

Is that adjuster inside or outside the vehicle?

Offline Gurgie

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-518
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Honda Passport Touring
« Reply #9587 on: October 25, 2018, 01:28:50 pm »

On Monday morning, I drove the Yukon 120 km into the city to get the front diff rebuilt (again! But that’s another story >:( ).  I picked it up yesterday afternoon, and the first thing I see when I get in is a pair of vice grips and a 10 mm wrench laying in the console. ???

The service guy happened to be standing right there, and just as I turn to ask him what’s up with the tools, I think to myself “Hey, those look familiar...”

Service guy says “Oh yeah, there was a note on the work order. Tech says he found some tools hanging from the parking brake adjuster.”

:laugh:  :cheers:

Offline mlin32

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +65/-419
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Peugeot 308 GT; 2015 Yamaha YZF-R3
« Reply #9588 on: October 25, 2018, 01:30:23 pm »

:rofl: Too good !
ø cons: Peugeot 308: Yamaha R3 [/URL]

Offline HeliDriver

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #9589 on: October 25, 2018, 01:41:35 pm »
:rofl2:

Is that adjuster inside or outside the vehicle?

It’s outside. I guess the vice grips stayed on because they were clamped reasonably tight. And the adjusting nut was a bit rusty, so the wrench fit pretty tight on that too. Still, it’s a bit surprising they both hung on for over an hour of driving.

And I can play back in my head exactly how it went: crawl in dirt to adjust brake; get up, grimace, adjust kink out of back; check brake - still too loose; crawl back in dirt to adjust brake; get up, grimace, adjust kink out of back; check brake - still too loose; crawl back in dirt to adjust brake; get up, grimace, adjust kink out of back; check brake - still too loose; crawl back in dirt to adjust brake; get up, grimace, adjust kink out of back; check brake - perfect! crawl back in dirt to retrieve tools Job done, so go have beer!  ;D
« Last Edit: October 25, 2018, 01:57:16 pm by HeliDriver »

Offline BWII

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +188/-376
    • View Profile
« Reply #9590 on: October 25, 2018, 02:00:38 pm »
That was worth signing in for just to go  :rofl: :rofl2: :rofl:

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +268/-457
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mazda CX-5
« Reply #9591 on: October 25, 2018, 02:24:45 pm »

Be Honest, you were ready to give them heck for a sloppy job, right?

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +289/-389
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 12 Mazda 5 GT 6MT
« Reply #9592 on: October 25, 2018, 02:29:05 pm »
 :rofl2: :laugh:

Don't feel bad, totally something I'd do. Actually I've lost a couple of 10mm wrenches in my car.

Offline Golly

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +12/-10
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 05 Miata, 16 Malibu Premier, 19 Buick Enclave Avenir
« Reply #9593 on: October 25, 2018, 09:14:08 pm »
I lost a socket one time when it rolled down into a wheel well.

Offline Golly

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +12/-10
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 05 Miata, 16 Malibu Premier, 19 Buick Enclave Avenir
« Reply #9594 on: October 25, 2018, 09:18:57 pm »
Quick detail of the Miata's interior and put up the top.  The top will now stay up until the Miata is back on the road next spring.

I still wonder what is best way to have the top while it's parked for the winter.
The first winter I had top up and latched,  last year I had the top up but unlatched,  my thinking that it may stretch too much if latched and untouched for 3-4 months.
Probably a case of me over thinking things as I tend to do...
dang! now you have me overthinking this...
I put my Miata's top down when goes on the road in the spring and the top stays down until I put it up for winter storage...so I think I'm good. ;D

Offline revalations

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +101/-329
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Chrysler Lebaron
« Reply #9595 on: October 25, 2018, 09:34:51 pm »
Lost a 8mm wrench down the rad shroud in our old 97 Suburban (changing the battery iirc) couldn't find that wrench so I gave up looking. Well that one cost a bundle months later when for whatever reason that wrench worked loose from its resting spot and got flung into the tender rad by the fast spinning fan. Happened out by Moose Jaw on a plus 30 day in July.

Offline HeliDriver

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #9596 on: October 25, 2018, 09:53:32 pm »
I dropped one of the bolts when I was installing the new PCV valve on the GTI a month ago. I heard it go "plink, plink, plink" and was holding my breath waiting for that last "thunk" as it landed on concrete, but nope.  :(

I spent 15 minutes crawling around looking for it, and going "fishing" with my magnet-on-a-stick thing, but never did find it.

It wasn't a very big bolt, so hopefully it doesn't do any damage if/when it comes loose from its hiding place.  :-\

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +268/-457
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mazda CX-5
« Reply #9597 on: October 26, 2018, 10:39:59 am »
I was checking the maintenance schedule for the van, and at 104 000kms, it lists a transmission fluid change if you use it in a fleet application, or if you tow regularly.  The latter definitely applies to me, and I'm at 105 000kms.  I guess I'll price out a transmission fluid change. 

Chrysler will charge $240.32 taxes in for a transmission fluid change.  That's not bad.  By comparison, when I did a CVT fluid change at Nissan for the Altima (again, because towing), it ran me close to $400. 

I guess I'll do one next month when I have a bit more $$$. 

Offline tortoise

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #9598 on: October 26, 2018, 12:50:37 pm »
Why not just do it yourself?  I assume there's a drain bolt.  Drain the pan, refill, drive 1000km, drain and refill again.

I had to change a light bulb on the Highlander yesterday.  It wouldn't normally comment, but it was soooo easy.  No reading the manual. Just turn counter clockwise for 1/4 turn, remove clip, replace bulb, turn clockwise 1/4 turn.  Done in like 2 minutes.  Coming from a series of Mazdas where you had to attach that stupid f'n clip, this was a godsend.  Overall, it's amazing how easy it is to work on.

Haven't done the VWs yet, I am assuming it's not gonna be great. Because, Germans.

Offline tortoise

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #9599 on: October 26, 2018, 12:53:56 pm »
Haven't done the VWs yet, I am assuming it's not gonna be great. Because, Germans.

HAHAHAHA.  Yup. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=beHsZMxiKHs

WTF VW?