Author Topic: What did you do to your car today?  (Read 3009940 times)

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2121
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2020 Toyota Tundra, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
Re: What did you do to your car today?
« Reply #9420 on: September 28, 2018, 02:50:07 pm »
Cant wait to install these, no more sticky doors and using jacks to pop doors off

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

Lighten up Francis.....

Offline HeliDriver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +176/-235
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Crosstrek Sport 6MT; 2011 Yukon XL 2500
« Reply #9421 on: September 28, 2018, 02:53:25 pm »
Yeah, absolutely a special tool for that bolt. And the doubly stupid part about the special tool is that it’s actually only meant to work with another special tool! It’s got a rectangular end that slots into the end of a special torque wrench, which I of course don’t have and am not about to buy.

But I figure the important part is that it fits onto the bolt head securely. I can figure out a way to grab onto the other end with vice grips or whatever.

Honestly, even the regular six point wrench probably would work ok if you’re careful, but I’m done screwing around. New one will be installed properly.

And there’s also a company that makes the special tool, but with a square insert for a 3/8”-drive torque wrench. I really wanted that one, but it was backordered with a two-week wait.  :-\

« Last Edit: September 28, 2018, 03:11:08 pm by HeliDriver »

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7210
    • View Profile
« Reply #9422 on: September 28, 2018, 07:30:56 pm »
Get some heavy conduit. Hammer it squarish to fit the special tool. Drill the hole for release.

Done!

Or weld a round tube on the end so it slips into a pipe.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2018, 07:33:44 pm by rrocket »
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline Firm

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +232/-1072
  • Urban Hick
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 XKR, 2007 DTS, 2006 Escalade, 2000 Sonoma ZQ8,1996 Firebird, 1996 Firebird Formula, 1985 Trans Am, 1984 Camaro, 1978 MGB x2
« Reply #9423 on: September 28, 2018, 08:48:17 pm »
Well, I admire your persistence, that looks like it was properly frustrating, but you got her done  8)

Offline Scaerio

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +193/-127
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2013 Volvo C30 T5; all my exes: 2005 Suzuki Aerio SE, '02 Renault Clio, '93 Volvo 850 GLT, '78 MB W-123 230
« Reply #9424 on: September 28, 2018, 09:19:46 pm »
Congrats to your Mom on the QP!  Interesting choice!  I saw one if these mid-2000s vintage QPs on Cape Cod this past Labour Day weekend.  It was obviously the beater/kids car of its household.  Dings, curbed alloys, faded paint, pretty much what you’d expect an Elantra of that vintage to look like. 
I'd rather be car-poor than house-poor...

Offline mlin32

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +65/-419
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Peugeot 308 GT; 2015 Yamaha YZF-R3
« Reply #9425 on: September 29, 2018, 08:25:10 pm »
Gave my mother's Audi A3 a wash and vacuum, was dirtier than I liked.

Then gave it a spirited spin around the countryside. My Peugeot is better in pretty much every way.  8) . And way more entertaining.

Is it just me, or does it feel like the MQB based cars have a high driving position that makes one feel like sitting on a perch ? Quite annoying. And geez that huge steering wheel....
ø cons: Peugeot 308: Yamaha R3 [/URL]

Offline ChaosphereIX

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +187/-377
  • Wont run with the pack
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Jaguar XJR-L
« Reply #9426 on: September 29, 2018, 08:35:57 pm »
Gave the Alfa a top to bottom detail in preparation for the Italian Car meet in Montebello tomorrow. Gonna be a fantastic day, a great drive if the weather holds.
If driving an Alfa does not restore vitality to your soul, then just pass the hospital and park at the morgue to save everyone time.

Now drives a Jaaaaaaag...and thus will not pay for anything during an outing...but it is OK, because....I drive a Jaaaaaag.

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #9427 on: September 29, 2018, 09:21:27 pm »
Drove the Highlander to the gym this afternoon.  First time it's been started in ages.  On my solo mountain missions it's been nice 'cause I can take the Miata.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7210
    • View Profile
« Reply #9428 on: September 29, 2018, 09:57:17 pm »

Then gave it a spirited spin around the countryside. My Peugeot is better in pretty much every way.  8) . And way more entertaining.

Is it just me, or does it feel like the MQB based cars have a high driving position that makes one feel like sitting on a perch ? Quite annoying. And geez that huge steering wheel....
Your folks moved there too?

Offline mlin32

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +65/-419
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Peugeot 308 GT; 2015 Yamaha YZF-R3
« Reply #9429 on: September 30, 2018, 06:57:40 am »

Your folks moved there too?
Nope, visiting them for a week- mother's birthday next week.

It is sort of weird visiting your own country and getting reacquainted. Haven't driven an automatic for 5 months and am dealing with bad drivers and different road signs.

Offline Firm

• Car Crazy
  • Urban Hick
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 XKR, 2007 DTS, 2006 Escalade, 2000 Sonoma ZQ8,1996 Firebird, 1996 Firebird Formula, 1985 Trans Am, 1984 Camaro, 1978 MGB x2
« Reply #9430 on: September 30, 2018, 04:19:45 pm »
Went to move the 78 MGB at my grandmother's place to reset the parking setup for winter - carb (stock single Stromberg) started acting up, float stuck down so it was pissing gas everywhere. Moved the car and pulled the carb off; probably just needs a good cleaning from old gas, but now is as good as time as any to give it a proper rebuild over the winter....Hoping to actually drive that car come spring.

Put the SLK away for the season - a bit early, but I am not using it, so it's nice to have it away and out of mind.

Also gave the Escalade a good wash.

Offline blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +244/-779
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
  • Cars: and bikes by age:BMW, Porsche, Subaru, Suzuki, Suzuki, Mazda, Jaguar, Kawasaki, Porsche, GMC, Suzuki
« Reply #9431 on: September 30, 2018, 09:26:18 pm »
Went to move the 78 MGB at my grandmother's place to reset the parking setup for winter - carb (stock single Stromberg) started acting up, float stuck down so it was pissing gas everywhere. Moved the car and pulled the carb off; probably just needs a good cleaning from old gas, but now is as good as time as any to give it a proper rebuild over the winter....Hoping to actually drive that car come spring.

Put the SLK away for the season - a bit early, but I am not using it, so it's nice to have it away and out of mind.

Also gave the Escalade a good wash.

Did you whap the side of the carb with a screwdriver handle?  ;D
Mr Pickypants

Offline Firm

• Car Crazy
  • Urban Hick
    • View Profile
« Reply #9432 on: September 30, 2018, 09:52:03 pm »
Ha! Yes, I did. The easiest solve is to drop the bottom of the bowl with the carb still mounted and then just spray the crap out of the float mechanism with some carb cleaner, but you can't really do a good job that way. Figured it's probably a good idea to just do the carb now while the fall/winter is coming so it'll be ready to roll in the spring.

Offline blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +244/-779
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
  • Cars: and bikes by age:BMW, Porsche, Subaru, Suzuki, Suzuki, Mazda, Jaguar, Kawasaki, Porsche, GMC, Suzuki
« Reply #9433 on: September 30, 2018, 09:56:23 pm »
Ha! Yes, I did. The easiest solve is to drop the bottom of the bowl with the carb still mounted and then just spray the crap out of the float mechanism with some carb cleaner, but you can't really do a good job that way. Figured it's probably a good idea to just do the carb now while the fall/winter is coming so it'll be ready to roll in the spring.

A friend of mine (mechanic) swears by Seafoam soaks.
My DR200 seems to be doing the same last time I tried to ride it about the yard.  Bought some Seafoam but haven't used it yet.

Offline jamie1

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +22/-20
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Acura TSX, 2014 Jeep Cherokee Limited ADI,2007 Mazda MX-5 Miata PRHT GT
« Reply #9434 on: September 30, 2018, 10:01:44 pm »
Did a fall colours cruise with my Miata club. Final run of the year. :'(  It was only +2c. We had such a crappy September.
Enjoying the Alberta advantage

Offline Firm

• Car Crazy
  • Urban Hick
    • View Profile
« Reply #9435 on: October 01, 2018, 09:14:51 am »

A friend of mine (mechanic) swears by Seafoam soaks.
My DR200 seems to be doing the same last time I tried to ride it about the yard.  Bought some Seafoam but haven't used it yet.

Seafoam works; I've used it on the more common Amercian carbs (Rochesters) a few times and it's always gotten the job done.

Offline random006

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +123/-83
    • View Profile
  • Cars: His - 2018 Subaru Crosstrek .... Hers - 2008 Honda Civic DX
« Reply #9436 on: October 03, 2018, 09:40:34 am »
Got the Crosstrek "Krowned" on Monday.  Left the car parked on the road since then to allow for all those drip-drip-drips.  I have no intention of mucking up my driveway with the stuff.   ;D

Long live the (rustproofed) king!   ;D :bow2: :bow:

Next on my "to-do" list:  buy and mount some Blizzak WS-80s in about 4 weeks or so.
I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass...and I'm all out of bubblegum.    -    John Nada (played by Roddy Piper) in "They Live"

Offline KD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +359/-263
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Frontier Pro-4X, 2013 Lexus GS-350
« Reply #9437 on: October 05, 2018, 08:42:25 am »
Last night i spent about 4 hours replacing the shims for the seat position regulator on the drivers side on the Z3M.  Took a little over an hour to get the seats out and the shims replaced and then back in the car.  Took another three hours to get the slider worm gears lined up evenly, which involved removing and reinstalling the seat several times to get it just right. 

The original shims were rubber and the good ole boys at BMW South Carolina substituted a cheap lithium grease on a batch of cars when they ran out of the proper stuff. This caused the rubber shims to deteriorate, which caused a slight and annoying shift in the seat every time you braked, or accelerated from a stop.  The old ones were just a gooey mess when i cleaned them out.  The new shims are teflon, so i just used regular lithium grease to lubricate them again.   The cost for the shims was less than $20 shipped to my house.   
« Last Edit: October 05, 2018, 08:44:32 am by KD »

Offline Gurgie

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-518
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Honda Passport Touring
« Reply #9438 on: October 05, 2018, 08:49:20 am »
Last night i spent about 4 hours replacing the shims for the seat position regulator on the drivers side on the Z3M.  Took a little over an hour to get the seats out and the shims replaced and then back in the car.  Took another three hours to get the slider worm gears lined up evenly, which involved removing and reinstalling the seat several times to get it just right. 

The original shims were rubber and the good ole boys at BMW South Carolina substituted a cheap lithium grease on a batch of cars when they ran out of the proper stuff. This caused the rubber shims to deteriorate, which caused a slight and annoying shift in the seat every time you braked, or accelerated from a stop.  The old ones were just a gooey mess when i cleaned them out.  The new shims are teflon, so i just used regular lithium grease to lubricate them again.   The cost for the shims was less than $20 shipped to my house.

Nice work!! Those long & tedious projects take some patience, that's for sure!!
You live everyday. You only die once....

Offline KD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +359/-263
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Frontier Pro-4X, 2013 Lexus GS-350
« Reply #9439 on: October 05, 2018, 08:53:56 am »

Nice work!! Those long & tedious projects take some patience, that's for sure!!

Yeah, a nice evening project.  The passenger side doesn't seem to be affected but i'll probably do it anyway this weekend while i still remember how...lol.  Most of the time was spent trying to figure out how get the worm gears lined up properly.  I could probably do it in less than 2 hours now that i got that figured out.