Author Topic: What did you do to your car today?  (Read 3010055 times)

Offline tortoise

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +236/-453
    • View Profile
Re: What did you do to your car today?
« Reply #9360 on: September 21, 2018, 11:40:32 am »
Not sure you've seen this, or if it's relevant.

But VW has an updated intake manifold - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5IVxPqriZkk
Only the slow and dim know where they're going in life, and seldom is it worth the trip. - Tom Robbins.

Offline mlin32

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +65/-419
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Peugeot 308 GT; 2015 Yamaha YZF-R3
« Reply #9361 on: September 21, 2018, 12:12:56 pm »
The latest VW engine (EA888) has dual injection (direct + port) for the rest of the world. Originally meant to reduce part-load emissions and fuel consumption on the EU-test cycle, but also helps reduce the carbon build-up issues.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2018, 12:15:09 pm by mlin32 »
ø cons: Peugeot 308: Yamaha R3 [/URL]

Offline Serniter

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +40/-20
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Lexus ES350
« Reply #9362 on: September 21, 2018, 01:05:50 pm »
^^Thanks for the info. So the current US/Canada GTI engine doesn't have port injection?

Offline tortoise

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #9363 on: September 21, 2018, 01:54:52 pm »
Nope. The NA motors are DI only.

Offline Gurgie

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-518
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Honda Passport Touring
« Reply #9364 on: September 21, 2018, 02:06:50 pm »

You're not on the road yet?  :rofl2:
You live everyday. You only die once....

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
« Reply #9365 on: September 21, 2018, 02:19:47 pm »
the 2.0T in my 2014 Q5 is DI with a single extra port in the manifold  presumably to help keep the inlets clean.
The most radical revolutionary will become a conservative the day after the revolution.

Offline HeliDriver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +176/-235
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Crosstrek Sport 6MT; 2011 Yukon XL 2500
« Reply #9366 on: September 21, 2018, 03:13:33 pm »
Not sure you've seen this, or if it's relevant.

But VW has an updated intake manifold - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5IVxPqriZkk

Yeah, very relevant, thanks. Got that updated one on the bench and ready to install.

Just letting the last port soak while I take a breather. No magic bullet found, but fuel injector cleaner seems to work ok (the “super concentrated” stuff that you’re supposed to add to your fuel tank. I just pour it straight onto the valves  :rofl2: Still requires a whole heap of scraping and scrubbing, though, so I can’t imagine it does much of anything when diluted with a whole tank of fuel.  ::) )
« Last Edit: September 21, 2018, 03:15:26 pm by HeliDriver »

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-6812
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #9367 on: September 21, 2018, 03:19:37 pm »
Too late for you, but looks like these motors need a catch can

Offline Serniter

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +40/-20
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Lexus ES350
« Reply #9368 on: September 21, 2018, 03:38:50 pm »
the 2.0T in my 2014 Q5 is DI with a single extra port in the manifold  presumably to help keep the inlets clean.

Okay, thanks.

Offline tortoise

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #9369 on: September 21, 2018, 05:44:35 pm »

You're not on the road yet?  :rofl2:
Ha!  Lunch stop.

Just got into Burlington Vt. Holy hell it's windy.  The car consumed 6.4L/100km!

Fortunately the fridge is full of Vermont Double IPAs.

Offline HeliDriver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +176/-235
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Crosstrek Sport 6MT; 2011 Yukon XL 2500
What did you do to your car today?
« Reply #9370 on: September 22, 2018, 01:23:22 pm »
Too late for you, but looks like these motors need a catch can

I've thought about it, and lots of companies make them for this engine, but doesn't seem worth it IMO. I've heard you can need to empty it as often as once a week, and good luck to you in the winter if/when it freezes up. I've also heard that it doesn't evacuate moisture from the crankcase as well, so there can be issues if you do short trips and don't get the engine up to temp. And it's also not 100% effective - not sure why, but apparently that's the case.

I could possibly live with the downsides, but good luck to my wife if I leave her with the car for a couple weeks in the winter! "Hey honey, would you mind not taking the car to the grocery store unless you warm it up on the highway for 20 minutes after? Oh, and make sure to dump that oily catch can when you get back!"  :rofl2:

I'm also going to be replacing the PCV valve, which is supposed to help. Probably should have done it sooner, but it's a $120 part on these cars, not the old-school things that used to cost $20.

Anyway, gave my myself a brutal headache yesterday from spending the afternoon with my face inches away from the ports and breathing a nasty cocktail of solvents.  [emoji14] Got everything cleaned up to an acceptable level, then moved on to the water pump (figured I'd replace it since it's easy to do once the manifold is off. Never had any issues with it, but it's another known problem area on these cars, so figured I'd replace it with the upgraded part.)

Well, of course I hit a snag: rounded the stupid 12mm bolt to get the water pump drive belt pulley off. There's no room to get a socket in there, and a regular wrench only hits less than half of the head. So, ordered me a 6-point wrench (can't buy them locally, it seems) and will probably have to get the end cut off and welded onto the shaft for more clearance - kind of like a super-low-profile socket. If I'd just had the 6-point to start with, probably could have avoided the whole mess.  [emoji14]

How the heck are you supposed to get a wrench on that?!? And it’s on tight.

Got a few other things to do as well, so looks like this is going to drag on at least until mid-week.  [emoji14] [emoji14] [emoji14]

« Last Edit: September 22, 2018, 01:28:12 pm by HeliDriver »

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +268/-457
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mazda CX-5
« Reply #9371 on: September 22, 2018, 02:49:17 pm »
So, I'm not sure where to put this, and it isn't worth starting a new thread, so I'll just put it here.

One of my co-workers, a 29-male quasi car enthusiast bought a used 2011 Subaru Impreza WRX wagon about 4 years ago.  Anyway, long story short, he wrote it off a week ago.  Not really his fault, and he was A-OK.  We had a huge rainstorm, and he basically drove into a really large puddle and flooded the car, both interior and engine (I guess that's another shortcoming of the Boxer engine). Anyway, MPI gave him about $21k for it, and after he paid off the remainder of his loan, he was left with $8200.

So the car shopping started.  He didn't really need my help, as he knows enough about cars to make his own decision, but being the office's resident car geek, I couldn't help but have a conversation with him.  He was looking at used Subaru Legacy 2.5's.  His criteria was that he wanted something AWD, and a sedan.  The cars he was looking at were in the $20k range, a few years old, with about 50k kms.  I pointed out to him that after driving his WRX for a few years, a 2.5 Legacy would feel quite pedestrian and boring, and wouldn't really offer much more in the way of comfort or luxury to offset the diminished performance.  Plus, NA H2.5, headgasket issues, etc. 

Now, my favorite car has long been the Acura TL.  If we didn't have the need want to tow anything, I would probably be driving one right now.  Alas, a sedan isn't suitable for us, and being a one-car family, it's out of the question.  A used TL is, IMO, the perfect blend of performance, luxury, and reliability that can be had for a relatively small amount of money.

As it turns out, the dealership where we bought our last two cars just brought in this TL:
https://www.thecarstore.ca/certified/Acura/2014-Acura-TL-da2438490a0e08bb58323f66719ea9e8.htm

I showed him the ad, explained to him what the TL is, and why I think it is such a great car.  It meets all of his needs, has nearly the performance of his WRX, and ups the Luxury/Comfort quotient significantly.  I told him that if he went and took it for a drive, his mind would be made up, and that would be his next car. 

ANYWAYS, he texted me last night and said that he went to the dealership yesterday to drive the car, and indeed, he fell in love with it.  He's buying it today.  So, my co-worker just bought a TL on my recommendation.  I'm so going to live vicariously through him. 

Offline Bubba

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +382/-442
  • Vice President, Autos.ca Arizona Operations
    • View Profile
    • My photo site
  • Cars: 2013 Toyota Corolla LE
« Reply #9372 on: September 22, 2018, 02:53:43 pm »
Did he take it to a mechanic for a check-up?  Did he call MPI for a claims history and does he know if it's a Manitoba car or from another province?
My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government. - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #9373 on: September 22, 2018, 02:55:45 pm »
Did he take it to a mechanic for a check-up?  Did he call MPI for a claims history and does he know if it's a Manitoba car or from another province?

I'm sure he's doing the mechanic thing today.  That dealership never sells anything without a a carproof, so he'll be able to see the vehicle's history.

Offline BWII

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +188/-376
    • View Profile
« Reply #9374 on: September 22, 2018, 09:01:59 pm »
$21 for a 2011 Imprezza! WT serious F!?! Not even an STi? Jeez...bet he doesn't pay more in insurance than I do for my 7000 dollar Fusion. :P  :banghead: 

Good on him/you on the TL thing. Nice car.

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #9375 on: September 23, 2018, 08:32:01 am »
Funny how people look at things differently
Bought a Used Subby , "4 years " ago and still had $12,800 left on it  :o

And really not his fault  :rofl2: , drove into a facking puddle which wrote off the car , you are not grown up until you take responsibility for your actions   :rofl:

As the wife commented Should insurance be covering shear stupidity  ::)

Facking  millennial,

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #9376 on: September 23, 2018, 09:14:21 am »

And really not his fault  :rofl2: , drove into a facking puddle which wrote off the car , you are not grown up until you take responsibility for your actions   :rofl:

Facking  millennial,

Wow.  I'm guessing your didn't have your Fruity Flakes yet today?  Judgmental, much?

From what he told me (I wasn't there), an entire intersection was flooded.  He was driving behind somebody, when they did a panic stop, and in order to avoid hitting them, he swerved into the next lane, and right into the puddle that ended up being deeper than he expected.  It's not like he just 'decided' to drive through the puddle. 
« Last Edit: September 23, 2018, 09:17:06 am by Great_Big_Abyss »

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #9377 on: September 23, 2018, 09:45:20 am »

Facking  millennial,

Wow.  I'm guessing your didn't have your Fruity Flakes yet today?  Judgmental, much?

From what he told me (I wasn't there), an entire intersection was flooded.  He was driving behind somebody, when they did a panic stop, and in order to avoid hitting them, he swerved into the next lane, and right into the puddle that ended up being deeper than he expected.  It's not like he just 'decided' to drive through the puddle.

So he was driving to fast for the condition lol

Eggs with avocado this morning mmmm

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #9378 on: September 23, 2018, 09:49:58 am »
You've got a complaint for everything this morning, eh?  Go drink some Prune juice, maybe it'll lighten your mood a little.  ;)

And yeah, sh!t happens.  I'm sure you've been in a couple of collisions in your life.  It's easy to sit on your high horse when you're an old fogey and have a forgetful memory about all your youthful transgressions.

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #9379 on: September 23, 2018, 09:59:06 am »
You've got a complaint for everything this morning, eh?  Go drink some Prune juice, maybe it'll lighten your mood a little.  ;)

And yeah, sh!t happens.  I'm sure you've been in a couple of collisions in your life.  It's easy to sit on your high horse when you're an old fogey and have a forgetful memory about all your youthful transgressions.

No collision so far

The guy fack and says it not his faulty , and you are agreeing with him ,

I find this very funny  :rofl: