Author Topic: What did you do to your car today?  (Read 3010450 times)

Offline Bubba

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +382/-442
  • Vice President, Autos.ca Arizona Operations
    • View Profile
    • My photo site
  • Cars: 2013 Toyota Corolla LE
Re: DIY Car Speaker Repair
« Reply #9240 on: August 21, 2018, 02:40:18 pm »
Last year I had a speaker go on my LS430. The Mark Levinson has 8ohm resistance and aftermarket speakers that sound good with the ML system are few and far between. So I bought a new OEM unit ($120US) and kept the old one as a spare to be repaired with a Simply Speakers DIY kit. So here's how you do it.

Nicely done.
My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government. - Thomas Jefferson

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7210
    • View Profile
Re: What did you do to your car today?
« Reply #9241 on: August 21, 2018, 02:48:59 pm »
Last year I had a speaker go on my LS430. The Mark Levinson has 8ohm resistance and aftermarket speakers that sound good with the ML system are few and far between. So I bought a new OEM unit ($120US) and kept the old one as a spare to be repaired with a Simply Speakers DIY kit. So here's how you do it.

Nicely done.
It was actually pretty fun as I had never done something like this before.
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline Scaerio

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +193/-127
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2013 Volvo C30 T5; all my exes: 2005 Suzuki Aerio SE, '02 Renault Clio, '93 Volvo 850 GLT, '78 MB W-123 230
« Reply #9242 on: August 21, 2018, 03:23:22 pm »
BADASS! Seriously, there are few feelings as good as driving something you've resurrected from the dead with your own hands. Very cool  ;D

Here, here.  And Ron, thanks for the speaker repair tip and tutorial!
I'd rather be car-poor than house-poor...

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #9243 on: August 21, 2018, 03:26:29 pm »
BADASS! Seriously, there are few feelings as good as driving something you've resurrected from the dead with your own hands. Very cool  ;D

Here, here.  And Ron, thanks for the speaker repair tip and tutorial!
I forgot to add the kit comes with enough supplies to do 2 speakers.

Offline DriverJeff

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +181/-628
    • View Profile
    • Echo Bay Media
  • Cars: Whatever I'm assigned for the week + '13 Lexus GX460, '86 Toyota MR2, '18 Kawasaki Z900RS SE, 2021 Jeep Wrangler (GF's)
« Reply #9244 on: August 21, 2018, 04:56:01 pm »

Nicely done.

That's it...  keep fixin' things.  Something about a back-up sensor too, next I think?  ;) 
The past:00 BMW M Rdstr, 19 Jetta, 15 Ducati Scrambler, 09 Triumph Bonneville, 98 Boxster, 17 Kawi Z900, 05 LS 430, 99 LS 400, 17 Subaru STI, 14 Triumph STR, 15 WRX, 09 Ducati Monster 1100,  08 335i, 06 Suzuki SV650S, 06 330i, 06 MX-5, 04 Audi A4, 03 Suzuki SV650S, 98 328i, 93 Civic Si, 85 Corolla

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2121
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2020 Toyota Tundra, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #9245 on: August 21, 2018, 04:58:30 pm »
Ron, nice work with the speakers. Had no idea one could do that!!
Lighten up Francis.....

Offline ChaosphereIX

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +187/-377
  • Wont run with the pack
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Jaguar XJR-L
« Reply #9246 on: August 21, 2018, 05:05:08 pm »
Ron, that is pretty cool stuff.
If driving an Alfa does not restore vitality to your soul, then just pass the hospital and park at the morgue to save everyone time.

Now drives a Jaaaaaaag...and thus will not pay for anything during an outing...but it is OK, because....I drive a Jaaaaaag.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #9247 on: August 21, 2018, 05:14:39 pm »

Nicely done.

That's it...  keep fixin' things.  Something about a back-up sensor too, next I think?  ;)

I just thought I'd have it ready "in case".  Not uncommon for speaker foam to degrade on 14 year old cars.

Yea, back up sensor isn't hard per se...just clip in clip out...but you need to remove the bumper.  Haven't been motivated to do it yet.

Offline Bubba

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
    • My photo site
« Reply #9248 on: August 21, 2018, 06:27:13 pm »
Two Pirelli Cinturato P7 All Season Plus installed today, replacing the rear tires.  I'll buy two for the front next spring.

Offline Seafoam

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +89/-202
    • View Profile
« Reply #9249 on: August 21, 2018, 07:13:19 pm »
Two Pirelli Cinturato P7 All Season Plus installed today, replacing the rear tires.  I'll buy two for the front next spring.

Hopefully they don't discontinue those. :stick:   :P
2023 Honda Civic EX-B
2004 Mazdaspeed Miata

Offline Bubba

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
    • My photo site
« Reply #9250 on: August 21, 2018, 08:14:27 pm »

Hopefully they don't discontinue those. :stick:   :P

I hope not!  I could only afford two right now.

Online Firm

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +232/-1072
  • Urban Hick
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 XKR, 2007 DTS, 2006 Escalade, 2000 Sonoma ZQ8,1996 Firebird, 1996 Firebird Formula, 1985 Trans Am, 1984 Camaro, 1978 MGB x2
« Reply #9251 on: August 21, 2018, 10:44:15 pm »

Nicely done.

I just thought I'd have it ready "in case".  Not uncommon for speaker foam to degrade on 14 year old cars.

Yea, back up sensor isn't hard per se...just clip in clip out...but you need to remove the bumper.  Haven't been motivated to do it yet.

You sure it's not a paint chip on the sensor? I had one acting up on the Escalade; ordered a new sensor, went out to install it and noticed a paint chip, like something had hit the sensor and created a loose flake of paint; flicked it off, tried the system and it's been working fine since for months now.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #9252 on: August 21, 2018, 11:19:44 pm »

Nicely done.

You sure it's not a paint chip on the sensor? I had one acting up on the Escalade; ordered a new sensor, went out to install it and noticed a paint chip, like something had hit the sensor and created a loose flake of paint; flicked it off, tried the system and it's been working fine since for months now.

Sensor?   :rofl:  No.  You can clearly see in the first 2 pics the foam has pulled away from the surround so the cone is just flopping around.

Online Firm

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +232/-1072
  • Urban Hick
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 XKR, 2007 DTS, 2006 Escalade, 2000 Sonoma ZQ8,1996 Firebird, 1996 Firebird Formula, 1985 Trans Am, 1984 Camaro, 1978 MGB x2
« Reply #9253 on: August 22, 2018, 07:44:43 am »

Nicely done.

Sensor?   :rofl:  No.  You can clearly see in the first 2 pics the foam has pulled away from the surround so the cone is just flopping around.

I was talking about the back-up sensor comment referenced above....I think you're talking about the speaker still?

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #9254 on: August 22, 2018, 07:53:16 am »

Nicely done.

I was talking about the back-up sensor comment referenced above....I think you're talking about the speaker still?
He probably posted after coming home after a drive  ;D

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #9255 on: August 22, 2018, 08:00:08 am »

Nicely done.

Oh! Sorry! 

Yea, there's nothing on it...clean. I don't even know which one it is yet...haven't put the Techstream on it...they all "look" fine.

Offline Gurgie

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-518
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Honda Passport Touring
« Reply #9256 on: August 22, 2018, 08:14:12 am »
That is a cool speaker repair Ron, missed it earlier  :cheers:
You live everyday. You only die once....

Offline blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +244/-779
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
  • Cars: and bikes by age:BMW, Porsche, Subaru, Suzuki, Suzuki, Mazda, Jaguar, Kawasaki, Porsche, GMC, Suzuki
« Reply #9257 on: August 22, 2018, 08:46:24 pm »
That is a cool speaker repair Ron, missed it earlier  :cheers:

Yeah, it was.
I'll have to remember that.

I once put a 2x4 through a woofer, repaired it with "Seal-All" goo.  Still working 15 years later.
Mr Pickypants

Offline Arthur Dent

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +186/-80
  • 42?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9258 on: August 23, 2018, 11:21:47 am »

Getting exhaust and muffler

Offline Gurgie

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-518