Author Topic: What did you do to your car today?  (Read 3010696 times)

Offline Gurgie

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-518
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Honda Passport Touring
Re: What did you do to your car today?
« Reply #9180 on: August 07, 2018, 12:45:01 pm »
Firm, your and your family’s collection of cars astounds me.  Do you own that Ram or is it a work vehicle?

AD - love your buddy’s van!

:) The Ram is a company vehicle; I use it for testing new product (truck accessories) and a couple times a year I'll lend it out to our marketing folks for events, there's a matching 6x12 enclosed trailer that goes with it.
Whose wheels are ugly  :hurl:

I swap wheels on it every few months to get photos of our newest models and such, so they won't be around long. I actually don't hate these though, the 35"s look mean IMO. I hate the bull-bar more....

I gotta agree about the bull bar... the wheels are just a "meh", like the Duratracs on there tho  :)
You live everyday. You only die once....

Offline Gurgie

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #9181 on: August 07, 2018, 12:45:35 pm »
New windshield for the JK. Would have been $180 but I paid the extra $35 for the mobile service at work. Should be good for the next 6-8 months  ;D

Who are you kidding... more like 4 months out there in Alberta  :rofl2:

Online Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2121
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2020 Toyota Tundra, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #9182 on: August 07, 2018, 12:46:27 pm »
Firm, your and your family’s collection of cars astounds me.  Do you own that Ram or is it a work vehicle?

AD - love your buddy’s van!

:) The Ram is a company vehicle; I use it for testing new product (truck accessories) and a couple times a year I'll lend it out to our marketing folks for events, there's a matching 6x12 enclosed trailer that goes with it.
Whose wheels are ugly  :hurl:

I swap wheels on it every few months to get photos of our newest models and such, so they won't be around long. I actually don't hate these though, the 35"s look mean IMO. I hate the bull-bar more....

Yeah, those wheels are no bueno, as for the "bull bar", google road armor  ;D
Lighten up Francis.....

Online Fobroader

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #9183 on: August 07, 2018, 12:47:14 pm »
New windshield for the JK. Would have been $180 but I paid the extra $35 for the mobile service at work. Should be good for the next 6-8 months  ;D

Shhh....I'm trying to be positive today and you just ruined ya big jerk  ;D Should be fine till they start putting down gravel in the winter.

Offline Gurgie

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #9184 on: August 07, 2018, 12:49:54 pm »

Shhh....I'm trying to be positive today and you just ruined ya big jerk  ;D Should be fine till they start putting down gravel in the winter.

:flowers:

Online Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +268/-457
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mazda CX-5
« Reply #9185 on: August 07, 2018, 01:06:01 pm »
Faack.  Wife drove to work today with the van, and texts me saying there was a 'constant high pitched squealing' as she was driving, and then when she parked, a 'burning rubber' smell, as well as a 'bit of a grinding noise' as she was idling in the parking lot. 

HOPEFULLY it's nothing, and she's just being hypersensitive.  I know when I drove the van this morning it was fine, but anything can happen...  At the worst, I hope it is just the serpentine belt...that would be easy enough to fix.  At best, I hope its nothing.  Could be anything though.  My thoughts go to a locked up air conditioning compressor...that would suck...

We are about to embark on a huge road trip, so I guess if anything were to go wrong with the van, now is a good time when I actually have time to address it properly. 

Offline Gurgie

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #9186 on: August 07, 2018, 01:25:08 pm »
Faack.  Wife drove to work today with the van, and texts me saying there was a 'constant high pitched squealing' as she was driving, and then when she parked, a 'burning rubber' smell, as well as a 'bit of a grinding noise' as she was idling in the parking lot. 

HOPEFULLY it's nothing, and she's just being hypersensitive.  I know when I drove the van this morning it was fine, but anything can happen...  At the worst, I hope it is just the serpentine belt...that would be easy enough to fix.  At best, I hope its nothing.  Could be anything though.  My thoughts go to a locked up air conditioning compressor...that would suck...

We are about to embark on a huge road trip, so I guess if anything were to go wrong with the van, now is a good time when I actually have time to address it properly.

Sounds like the belt, but then the grinding could be bearings... maybe alternator?

Online Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #9187 on: August 07, 2018, 01:25:49 pm »
We shall see...she is picking me up in 20 minutes for lunch...I'll have a listen and a look...Hope it is nothing and that she's crazy...its possible...

Offline bridgecity

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +126/-182
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 MDX; 2007 Tundra
« Reply #9188 on: August 07, 2018, 01:37:40 pm »
I'm guessing idler pulley.  That would account for the grinding and burning smell.
Quality is never an accident; it is always the result of high intention, sincere effort, intelligent direction, and skillful execution; it represents the wise choice of many alternatives.

Offline Gurgie

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #9189 on: August 07, 2018, 02:22:15 pm »
I'm guessing idler pulley.  That would account for the grinding and burning smell.

That would be the best bet, as it is cheapest to repair  ;D

Online Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #9190 on: August 07, 2018, 03:25:28 pm »
I looked at the van today at lunch.

Completely false alarm.  She was being hypersensitive (as usual).  Nothing out of the ordinary.  The screeching sound is actually the rear brakes, and is an intermittent issue.  Rear brakes on Grand Caravans are notoriously poor.  It's an issue that I'm aware of, and I know what is wrong, but it isn't mission critical, and happens very intermittently, so I'm not too concerned about it.  It can wait until the rear brakes are next replaced. 

As far as the 'burning smell', I have a sneaking suspicion that it was environmental (maybe a nearby car?).  I have no reason to think it was our van.  My dear wife is a little panicky when it comes to these things, though, so she automatically thinks its the worse, and texts me to tell me that the van is about to explode or something.... (sigh). 
« Last Edit: August 07, 2018, 03:27:45 pm by Great_Big_Abyss »

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7211
    • View Profile
« Reply #9191 on: August 07, 2018, 03:28:07 pm »
Completely false alarm.  She was being hypersensitive (as usual).  Nothing out of the ordinary.  The screeching sound is actually the rear brakes, and is an intermittent issue.  Rear brakes on Grand Caravans are notoriously poor.  It's an issue that I'm aware of, and I know what is wrong, but it isn't mission critical, and happens very intermittently, so I'm not too concerned about it.  It can wait until the rear brakes are done.
Better safe than sorry!

At least she's not driving around for a month with the low oil light on!
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Online Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #9192 on: August 07, 2018, 03:30:11 pm »
Completely false alarm.  She was being hypersensitive (as usual).  Nothing out of the ordinary.  The screeching sound is actually the rear brakes, and is an intermittent issue.  Rear brakes on Grand Caravans are notoriously poor.  It's an issue that I'm aware of, and I know what is wrong, but it isn't mission critical, and happens very intermittently, so I'm not too concerned about it.  It can wait until the rear brakes are done.
Better safe than sorry!

True.  Although being a one-vehicle family, not a day goes by when I don't get behind the wheel, so I don't think it would ever come to that.

On a different note:  The van is going in tomorrow for an alignment.  Pulls a tiny bit to the right (a little more than I'd like), and we haven't had an alignment done since we bought it.  I figured with 4000+kms upcoming in the next couple of weeks, it wouldn't be a bad time to get one done.  At the same time (as with any alignment) the mechanic will check for bad ball joints, tie-rod ends, you know, things that generally could be a pain in the ass to address while on a road trip.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2018, 03:33:53 pm by Great_Big_Abyss »

Offline bridgecity

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +126/-182
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 MDX; 2007 Tundra
« Reply #9193 on: August 07, 2018, 03:31:49 pm »
Better safe than sorry!

^ Was thinking the same thing rrocket. A while back I noticed low air pressure in one of the MDXs tires. Asked the wife about it, she mentioned she’s been topping up for a couple months. Checked out the tire and it had a nail of course. We did a 1500km trip with it like that based on what she told me.

Offline Gurgie

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #9194 on: August 07, 2018, 03:34:27 pm »
^good to hear it was nothing! Now you're set for the big road trip  ;D

Offline Gurgie

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #9195 on: August 07, 2018, 04:47:10 pm »
Picked up the new tires for the 951, getting them installed on the 20th, as well as some exhaust work & a brake bleed.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

Online Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #9196 on: August 07, 2018, 05:21:58 pm »
^^Nice.  They dont' look particularly cheap...

Offline Gurgie

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #9197 on: August 07, 2018, 05:38:45 pm »
$170/ea., which is great I feel.

Online Fobroader

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #9198 on: August 07, 2018, 05:42:01 pm »

Thats actually dirt cheap for what looks like a high performance tire.

Offline Gurgie

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #9199 on: August 07, 2018, 05:51:27 pm »

Thats actually dirt cheap for what looks like a high performance tire.
Hankook RS4'S, ultra performance summer tire. They're small tho, 205/55/16. Going on the front of the car. Current fronts (225/50/16) are going on the rear to replace these.