Author Topic: What did you do to your car today?  (Read 3010949 times)

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
Re: What did you do to your car today?
« Reply #9040 on: June 30, 2018, 03:43:30 pm »
 Nice work on the pads
The tires look ok for another winter  ;D

Offline Bubba

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +382/-442
  • Vice President, Autos.ca Arizona Operations
    • View Profile
    • My photo site
  • Cars: 2013 Toyota Corolla LE
« Reply #9041 on: June 30, 2018, 04:15:36 pm »
Well, this project went on for a bit. Right rear bumper pad was coming off the 951, so I took it off & all the studs snapped from corrosion over the years. Read about guys having success epoxying new studs, so I tried that. Wasn't successful, lost the pad somewhere on my daily commute. So I ordered new pads, they are slightly thinner that the original ones, even though they're factory pieces, and they weren't cheap. So I got around to doing them today, had to take off the rear diffuser to get at the bolts. Overall it took me around 2hrs in total to complete the job as I ended up washing a few pieces before reinstalling. Here are a few pics of the old one & the epoxy attempt, and then the new ones installed.

Oh & I think it's time for new rear tires, lol!

Good Job!

You should hit the drag strip with those tires before they're replaced.   :rofl2:
My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government. - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Gurgie

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-518
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Honda Passport Touring
« Reply #9042 on: June 30, 2018, 06:46:25 pm »
Well, this project went on for a bit. Right rear bumper pad was coming off the 951, so I took it off & all the studs snapped from corrosion over the years. Read about guys having success epoxying new studs, so I tried that. Wasn't successful, lost the pad somewhere on my daily commute. So I ordered new pads, they are slightly thinner that the original ones, even though they're factory pieces, and they weren't cheap. So I got around to doing them today, had to take off the rear diffuser to get at the bolts. Overall it took me around 2hrs in total to complete the job as I ended up washing a few pieces before reinstalling. Here are a few pics of the old one & the epoxy attempt, and then the new ones installed.

Good Job!

You should hit the drag strip with those tires before they're replaced.   :rofl2:
I did a good burnout with it after I took it for a rip around the block.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

You live everyday. You only die once....

Offline KD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +359/-263
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Frontier Pro-4X, 2013 Lexus GS-350
« Reply #9043 on: June 30, 2018, 07:42:10 pm »

Good Job!

:fiver:

Nice work! 

I've got a few little things to do on the Z3M but most will probably be a winter project..  There's a couple of known issues my Z3 owning buddy picked out right away.  The drivers seat has a slight travel issue caused by poor quality OEM bushings and the glove box sags.  Both of these are common issues and mods are available, and fairly simple for a DIY.  There's also a broken seat belt retention clip on the drivers side, and the previous owner included a new one, but I'll probably have to take the seat to an apholstery place to get that done.  I'll take the seat in at the same time I do the bushings.

Offline Bubba

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +382/-442
  • Vice President, Autos.ca Arizona Operations
    • View Profile
    • My photo site
  • Cars: 2013 Toyota Corolla LE
« Reply #9044 on: June 30, 2018, 07:43:37 pm »

Good Job!

Offline aquadorhj

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +271/-265
    • View Profile
  • Cars: MB SLK 55, Lexus NX, E46 M3, Honda Fit, VW Jetta, VW Rabbit, Saturn SC, Nissan NX,
« Reply #9045 on: June 30, 2018, 08:06:45 pm »
Had a shop fix a curbed wheel yesterday.

Also installed a G meter for my car.

Cool.  I was looking at that instrument cluster and was wondering what car had rev limiter at 8500 rpm, and saw that you have rx8.  Makes sense.  Thought mine at 7900rpm is high but damn. 

Driving thrills makes my wallet lighter.. and therefore makes me faster because i'm shedding weight... :D

Offline UnknownJinX

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +22/-115
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 19 Camaro 2SS 1LE 6MT, 15 Corvette Z51 7MT(flooded), 09 Mazda RX-8 GT 6MT(sold)
« Reply #9046 on: June 30, 2018, 08:20:01 pm »

Do some burnouts with those tires while they are on their last legs.

Had a shop fix a curbed wheel yesterday.

Also installed a G meter for my car.

Cool.  I was looking at that instrument cluster and was wondering what car had rev limiter at 8500 rpm, and saw that you have rx8.  Makes sense.  Thought mine at 7900rpm is high but damn.

8500 is where the engine gets to the peak power, 9000 is the redline, and 9500 is the hard fuel cut. It comes with a chimer to remind you to shift.

Offline Gurgie

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #9047 on: June 30, 2018, 10:55:45 pm »
Almost like a new car!
Ha, ha, ha, not quite.

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +480/-383
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '21 Venzaurus
« Reply #9048 on: July 01, 2018, 03:19:04 pm »
"Fixed" one front parking sensor. It was glitching and showing random false alarms. I cleaned it with alcohol, removed a tiny black spec which could be metal and fingers crossed, so far it seems OK. A new sensor is $144 USD, so likely 250-300 at the dealer  >:(
Give a man a fish, he eats for a day. Teach the man to fish and he wakes you up at 5 in the morning.

Offline Gurgie

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #9049 on: July 02, 2018, 10:14:36 pm »
Did the coils & plugs on the 323i this morning, no issues, no problems & the car runs fantastic afterwards! Lotsa crap to take off before you can even get the engine cover off. Still less than 2hrs of work overall.

Offline UnknownJinX

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +22/-115
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 19 Camaro 2SS 1LE 6MT, 15 Corvette Z51 7MT(flooded), 09 Mazda RX-8 GT 6MT(sold)
« Reply #9050 on: July 02, 2018, 10:32:36 pm »
Did the coils & plugs on the 323i this morning, no issues, no problems & the car runs fantastic afterwards! Lotsa crap to take off before you can even get the engine cover off. Still less than 2hrs of work overall.

That's good. Usually I notice an improvement as well with new spark plugs(and ignition coils in my RX-8's case).

At least you don't have to jack up the car and take off the driver wheel to get to the spark plugs.

Offline Gurgie

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #9051 on: July 02, 2018, 11:09:21 pm »

That's good. Usually I notice an improvement as well with new spark plugs(and ignition coils in my RX-8's case).

At least you don't have to jack up the car and take off the driver wheel to get to the spark plugs.
Yeah true enough! Not as bad as your RX-8, still a 30min job to just remove all the crap to get to the coils & plugs.

Offline mlin32

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +65/-419
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Peugeot 308 GT; 2015 Yamaha YZF-R3
« Reply #9052 on: July 03, 2018, 03:37:15 am »
Good deal !

I remember when I did the plugs on the 325i (E90 as well ) it took over an hour to get the plastic pieces off, and back on again. The actual plugs were easy, the 267 clips, screws, and covers were much less fun.
ø cons: Peugeot 308: Yamaha R3 [/URL]

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2121
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2020 Toyota Tundra, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #9053 on: July 03, 2018, 12:50:31 pm »
Going camping for a buddies bachelor party in August. Bought a trailer hitch for the Jeep for the bike rack as well as some magnetic window bug nets and am currently shopping around for a mattress for the back of the thing. With the amount of rain we've had this summer, sleeping off the ground in a sealed vehicle sounds like a much better time than in a crappy piece of canvas on the ground.
Lighten up Francis.....

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #9054 on: July 03, 2018, 04:15:55 pm »
Have you considered one of these jobbies?

Or too pricey? They look cool.
On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #9055 on: July 03, 2018, 04:17:55 pm »

I have, but the roof rack plus tent, youre talking $1500-2000. Thats a lot of sheckels.

Online Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +268/-457
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mazda CX-5
« Reply #9056 on: July 03, 2018, 04:28:47 pm »

I have, but the roof rack plus tent, youre talking $1500-2000. Thats a lot of sheckels.

Expensive for one trip, maybe...but use it enough times, and the cost is amortized...

Or, ya know, just buy a Tent Fabric Camping Mansion like CanuckS2K did...

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #9057 on: July 03, 2018, 04:30:03 pm »

Expensive for one trip, maybe...but use it enough times, and the cost is amortized...

If we actually want to go camping, we have a 30+" camping trailer. This setup will mainly be used if I want to go out somewhere with my buddies without the wife and dog

Online Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +268/-457
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mazda CX-5
« Reply #9058 on: July 03, 2018, 04:44:11 pm »

If we actually want to go camping, we have a 30+" camping trailer. This setup will mainly be used if I want to go out somewhere with my buddies without the wife and dog

That ain't 'camping'.  That's Glamping.

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #9059 on: July 03, 2018, 04:50:12 pm »
Why is it cool stuff is always expensive?  ;D

I guess I didn't know about the camper.