Author Topic: What did you do to your car today?  (Read 3011013 times)

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
Re: What did you do to your car today?
« Reply #8980 on: June 20, 2018, 11:25:03 am »
Did The wheels leave the  pavement ?

Or better yet, did they leave the GROUND...

Baby steps , first pavement than ground  :rofl2:

Offline tooscoops

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +325/-227
  • "stealership" employee
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '75 AMC Pacer, '70 Morgan 4/4, '21 Pacifica Hybrid, '21 Wrangler Rubicon
« Reply #8981 on: June 21, 2018, 07:27:48 pm »
forgot to take a pic, but my jeep was looking all kitted out this weekend... had the roof entirely off, a canoe strapped on the top, my bikes on the rack on the spare, and the whole family aboard... did really look good. looked like an ad for jeeps being the suburban commando.

actually, they did thank you very much!

heh... for like 100 feet to a natural boat launch. not exactly off roading. but hey, some cars would have bottomed out!

but yeah, that was my reference to suburban commando... super tame, but thinking I'm all tough.
i used to be addicted to soap, but i'm clean now

Offline me_2

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +300/-76
  • 2014 Volt, 2001 Saturn SW2. Son's DD: 2015 Volt
    • View Profile
« Reply #8982 on: June 21, 2018, 08:37:52 pm »
Since I have a low/high halogen beam bulb 9012 that went out, I ordered for my Volt a HID conversion kit. We'll see how it goes.
Need to wash her later today.

I received my HID conversion kit, components looks good, to be scheduled next week-end.
Gone but not forgotten in chronological order: 2019 Volt, 2013 Volt, 2014 Spark EV, 2012 Volt and many others before...

Offline draghon

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +20/-27
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Mine [07 Civic SI coupe] Wife [23 Sienna XSE AWD]
« Reply #8983 on: June 21, 2018, 09:11:25 pm »
forgot to take a pic, but my jeep was looking all kitted out this weekend... had the roof entirely off, a canoe strapped on the top, my bikes on the rack on the spare, and the whole family aboard... did really look good. looked like an ad for jeeps being the suburban commando.

heh... for like 100 feet to a natural boat launch. not exactly off roading. but hey, some cars would have bottomed out!

but yeah, that was my reference to suburban commando... super tame, but thinking I'm all tough.

Curious how you carry a canoe on top when the roof is removed?
ex rides: 93 Aerostar XLT AWD
wife ex rides: 07 Wave base, 11 Tiguan Comfortline with sport package, 14 Acadia SLE II AWD

Offline tooscoops

• Car Crazy
  • "stealership" employee
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '75 AMC Pacer, '70 Morgan 4/4, '21 Pacifica Hybrid, '21 Wrangler Rubicon
« Reply #8984 on: June 22, 2018, 10:00:49 am »
the soft top itself is more just for weather, so you can't put anything on top. the roll bars/sound bar, etc though are structural and you can rest it up there. unless you have the metal frame rack on a jeep, you can't really put anything on top of either the hard or soft top.

Offline draghon

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +20/-27
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Mine [07 Civic SI coupe] Wife [23 Sienna XSE AWD]
« Reply #8985 on: June 22, 2018, 01:01:30 pm »
So it was just resting on the roll/soundbar and the windshield frame?

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2121
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2020 Toyota Tundra, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #8986 on: June 22, 2018, 01:03:11 pm »
You can get roof racks but they bolt to the body of the Jeep, usually the window frame and tailight mounts.
Lighten up Francis.....

Offline tooscoops

• Car Crazy
  • "stealership" employee
    • View Profile
« Reply #8987 on: June 22, 2018, 02:18:55 pm »
So it was just resting on the roll/soundbar and the windshield frame?

yep. canoe blocks underneath and strapped front and rear. seems to work well.

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +391/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
« Reply #8988 on: June 22, 2018, 03:13:27 pm »
I have a friend that got hit by a canoe while cycling across Canada. Car passed him, canoe came off, slid into him and took him down. Still a great story.

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +255/-771
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 BMW 328i Touring, 1998 Jaguar XJR, 2024 Mini Cooper S
« Reply #8989 on: June 22, 2018, 03:45:52 pm »
Just saw on Facebook that my old roommate's mother was driving with two kayaks on her RAV4 when suddenly the OEM crossbars snapped off. She complained to the dealer and to Toyota itself and they claimed that she needed to tie the kayaks down at the front and rear of the vehicle again but the RAV4 isn't exactly set up to accommodate those types of ties. And there is promotion material for the RAV4 showing it carrying canoes and kayaks without that extra strapping. Pretty crappy thing to have happen.

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #8990 on: June 22, 2018, 04:03:34 pm »
Just saw on Facebook that my old roommate's mother was driving with two kayaks on her RAV4 when suddenly the OEM crossbars snapped off. She complained to the dealer and to Toyota itself and they claimed that she needed to tie the kayaks down at the front and rear of the vehicle again but the RAV4 isn't exactly set up to accommodate those types of ties. And there is promotion material for the RAV4 showing it carrying canoes and kayaks without that extra strapping. Pretty crappy thing to have happen.
Two Kayaks on OEM crossbars  :o
I bet the manual writes the bars are only good 25kgs  :rofl2:

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #8991 on: June 22, 2018, 04:04:56 pm »

:rofl:   

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #8992 on: June 22, 2018, 05:03:26 pm »

I thought everybody knew you had to have a secondary tie off for boats on the roof. My buddy with a Subie puts in the tow hooks and uses that to tie off.

Offline HeliDriver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +176/-235
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Crosstrek Sport 6MT; 2011 Yukon XL 2500
« Reply #8993 on: June 22, 2018, 05:26:18 pm »
^ Yeah, we got a nylon loop for the front of the Yukon. It bolts onto anything handy under the hood and then pokes out the front. Rear attachment point is easy because of the trailer hitch receiver.

We were out canoeing on Wednesday night and I was tempted to ignore the front & rear safety lines. Figured it was only 25 km on the highway and what were the chances something would go wrong? Of course, I only thought that for a second before kicking myself for being lazy and just putting on the damn ropes.

Offline tortoise

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +236/-453
    • View Profile
« Reply #8994 on: June 22, 2018, 05:31:59 pm »
I have a friend that got hit by a canoe while cycling across Canada. Car passed him, canoe came off, slid into him and took him down. Still a great story.
That's nuts. I mean, what are the odds?
Only the slow and dim know where they're going in life, and seldom is it worth the trip. - Tom Robbins.

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #8995 on: June 22, 2018, 05:53:50 pm »

Not the first thing he thought but was one of them.  :rofl2:

Offline Bubba

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +382/-442
  • Vice President, Autos.ca Arizona Operations
    • View Profile
    • My photo site
  • Cars: 2013 Toyota Corolla LE
« Reply #8996 on: June 22, 2018, 06:23:14 pm »

A rock band from Vancouver?   :think:
My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government. - Thomas Jefferson

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7212
    • View Profile
« Reply #8997 on: June 22, 2018, 07:03:14 pm »

Wish it was on video!
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline tenpenny

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +137/-305
    • View Profile
« Reply #8998 on: June 22, 2018, 07:43:03 pm »
I would never go on the highway without them being tied front and rear.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
My diesel car self-identifies as an electric vehicle.

Offline KD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +359/-263
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Frontier Pro-4X, 2013 Lexus GS-350
« Reply #8999 on: June 22, 2018, 10:21:14 pm »

I sold one of my kayaks earlier this year and the buyer came all the way down from Northern NB, or about 250km away to pick it up.  He was driving a Santa Fe with factory racks, and he bought those cheap rubber mounts and a couple of brand new tpratcheting straps to secure it with, and no front and rear stabilizer tie downs for am17.5' kayak. There were two guys and neither one had a clue how to secure it to the roof, or how to work the ratcheting straps.  They started by running the straps through the windows.  Anyway, it wouldn't have lasted 20km the way they wanted to tie it down, so I took over and tied it down as good as I could with what they had.  No way could I let them leave all half-assed, and I told him to stop at Crappy upmthe roadnfrom me to get some stabilizer tie downs for the front and rear, but I doubt he even bothered.  ::)