Author Topic: What did you do to your car today?  (Read 3011170 times)

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7212
    • View Profile
Re: What did you do to your car today?
« Reply #8860 on: May 30, 2018, 07:18:55 am »

These cars are so well designed and solidly built that you really need to live with one for a while to really appreciate the finer details. 

Yes! I think you don't fully appreciate Lexus until you own one.

How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #8861 on: May 30, 2018, 07:40:17 am »
Was bored..did the front brakes on the LS.

Man...it's so beautifully designed it's a snap. The bolts for the massive calipers (alloy and light! ) are on the side, so you don't even have to reach in to undo them. A single pin in the middle with a plate and out pop the pads. Soooo nice and easy.

I changed out my front pads on our GS a while back and found the same thing.  It's the first time I've done my own brakes in years and it was a snap.  Every componenet is massively built and so easy to work on.  These cars are so well designed and solidly built that you really need to live with one for a while to really appreciate the finer details. 

I was talking with one of the Krown dealers a couple of weeks ago and the lady co-owner was telling me that they have one customer that has an older GS that he bought used in Florida, and brings it in every year since for Krowning, and he has almost 600k km on it now, and still looks and runs great.
Had the RX / truck done in July , this year I will wait until August ,better special on  ;D

Offline KD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +359/-263
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Frontier Pro-4X, 2013 Lexus GS-350
« Reply #8862 on: May 30, 2018, 07:47:22 am »

Man...it's so beautifully designed it's a snap. The bolts for the massive calipers (alloy and light! ) are on the side, so you don't even have to reach in to undo them. A single pin in the middle with a plate and out pop the pads. Soooo nice and easy.

I changed out my front pads on our GS a while back and found the same thing.  It's the first time I've done my own brakes in years and it was a snap.  Every componenet is massively built and so easy to work on.  These cars are so well designed and solidly built that you really need to live with one for a while to really appreciate the finer details. 

I was talking with one of the Krown dealers a couple of weeks ago and the lady co-owner was telling me that they have one customer that has an older GS that he bought used in Florida, and brings it in every year since for Krowning, and he has almost 600k km on it now, and still looks and runs great.
Had the RX / truck done in July , this year I will wait until August ,better special on  ;D

The dealer I talked to only does it in the warmer months.  From May to September.  I went there late last September and was too late.

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #8863 on: May 30, 2018, 07:52:12 am »

The dealer I talked to only does it in the warmer months.  From May to September.  I went there late last September and was too late.
😱, The dealer here does it all year

Offline KD

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #8864 on: May 30, 2018, 07:56:38 am »

😱, The dealer here does it all year

They explained to me that it only penetrates properly in warmer weather and that is what the manufacturer recommends.   

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #8865 on: May 30, 2018, 09:38:52 am »

I did calipers, discs and pads on the front of the Highlander last month and took me no time at all thanks to robust fasteners and good design.  I completely rebuilt the rear suspension in well under a day thank to the same philosophy.  And honestly, I could have left the struts alone - they probably had another year or two of life left in them.  High quality parts that last a long time and when they finally do wear out, are easy to access and replace.

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #8866 on: May 30, 2018, 10:22:09 am »

I did calipers, discs and pads on the front of the Highlander last month and took me no time at all thanks to robust fasteners and good design.  I completely rebuilt the rear suspension in well under a day thank to the same philosophy.  And honestly, I could have left the struts alone - they probably had another year or two of life left in them.  High quality parts that last a long time and when they finally do wear out, are easy to access and replace.
You should  look at this for a second HL , only 100,000 km  ;D
https://www.wheelsonline.ca/vehicle.asp?i=Used-2003-Toyota-Highlander--SUV-for-Sale-Cobourg-ON-Carstead-Motor-Trends--&action=chgDlr&dID=12697&ItemID=312778

Offline tortoise

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +236/-453
    • View Profile
« Reply #8867 on: May 30, 2018, 10:27:25 am »
Man, the pricing on used Highlanders is nuts.

Besides, the HL to get is 2005 and newer.
Only the slow and dim know where they're going in life, and seldom is it worth the trip. - Tom Robbins.

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #8868 on: May 30, 2018, 10:34:19 am »
Man, the pricing on used Highlanders is nuts.

Besides, the HL to get is 2005 and newer.
Isn't John's a 2003 ?
Would you want a 2007, that is when Gen 2 came out

Offline tortoise

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +236/-453
    • View Profile
« Reply #8869 on: May 30, 2018, 10:42:08 am »
Sorry.  2004 is the year.  They upgraded the engine to the 3.3L from the 3.0L.

2008 was the first year for the Gen II.   I prefer the size of the Gen I.

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #8870 on: May 30, 2018, 10:49:26 am »
Mine is a 2004.  I very purposely only shopped 04+ models as they have the 3.3L 5AT combo which is nicer to live with than the 3.0L 4AT of the 2001-2003 versions.  More power and better fuel economy.

Highlander history:

2001-2003 3.0L and four speed AT
2004-2007 3.3L and five speed AT
2006-2007 Hybrid
2008 is the first year of Gen 2.  Changed to the 3.5L, but mated to the same 5AT and identical AWD system as the Gen 1.

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #8871 on: May 30, 2018, 10:55:57 am »
  I prefer the size of the Gen I.

I love the Gen 1 Highlander packaging.  It's only 184" long so it fits easily into city driving, but has a lot of interior space thanks to the fairly short hood and well-forward transverse engine placement.  The transverse engine placement and FWD roots make for great interior space, but of course compromise chassis dynamics.  Don't buy a Highlander for Auto-X events...   ;D

The dash is very shallow and the windscreen upright - bad for plowing through the air - but great for passenger room.  Same in the rear - the hatch is bolt upright, no swoopy rear end at all - meaning lots of usable cargo space.

For a vehicle that has a footprint not much larger than a new Corolla, it's amazing in how much interior space it offers.

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #8872 on: June 01, 2018, 06:12:58 pm »
Started swapping out the slave cylinder on the Miata.  Making some supper now, so it's hold for a bit.  It's an awkward spot, but not terrible...

The worn out unit, still in place.  2x 12mm retaining bolts a 10mm hydraulic line attachment.  The bottom 12mm retaining bolt is blocked by the subframe member, so no socket.  Ugh,  Luckily I used some Liquid Wrench, and a small open end could squeeze in there and got 'er loose.  The top one can be reached with a socket and handle with a long extension.

Out, and ready for replacing.  Oh, crap, I don't have any fresh DOT3.  To the store later.

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +268/-457
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mazda CX-5
« Reply #8873 on: June 01, 2018, 07:57:08 pm »
Nice job.

Bleeding brakes is something I have never tackled.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #8874 on: June 01, 2018, 07:58:30 pm »
Nice job.

Bleeding brakes is something I have never tackled.
Easy peasy.

Especially if you have a helper (wife).

Any time you need a primer, let me know.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #8875 on: June 01, 2018, 08:08:05 pm »
Bought a replacement AC compressor. Was conflicted about buying new OEM Denso ($425 CDN from Rock Auto vs $1500 CDN here) and a remanufactured Denso ($100 USD)

However, the warranty for either is only 1 year, so I went remanufactured.

Fingers crossed.

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #8876 on: June 01, 2018, 10:05:19 pm »
Well, got the new slave cylinder in, almost ready to bleed the clutch system, but my bleeding tubing has disappeared.  Ugh.  Not feeling like going to the hardware store tonight, so the bleeding will happen tomorrow.  Speaking of bleeding, the lower 12mm retaining bolt on the slave cylinder was a slight PITA to get started and I nicked my arm on the subframe.  INJURY ALERT!   :rofl2:

Offline KD

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #8877 on: June 02, 2018, 07:37:28 am »
 :fiver:  Lots of fun clocked in that little NA methinks, so I'm sure it's worth the effort.

Offline ChaosphereIX

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +187/-377
  • Wont run with the pack
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Jaguar XJR-L
« Reply #8878 on: June 02, 2018, 09:28:41 am »
gave it a good detail in preparation for the Italian Car BBQ meet today

first time I will get to see a 147 GTA in the flesh. Excited.
If driving an Alfa does not restore vitality to your soul, then just pass the hospital and park at the morgue to save everyone time.

Now drives a Jaaaaaaag...and thus will not pay for anything during an outing...but it is OK, because....I drive a Jaaaaaag.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #8879 on: June 02, 2018, 09:42:17 am »
gave it a good detail in preparation for the Italian Car BBQ meet today

Is that where everyone brings hot dogs to roast on the cars catching fire? LOL

Sounds like a good time...I love car meets.

Be sure to snap some pics.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2018, 09:49:56 am by rrocket »