Author Topic: What did you do to your car today?  (Read 3011304 times)

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +268/-457
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mazda CX-5
Re: What did you do to your car today?
« Reply #8800 on: May 22, 2018, 10:20:02 am »
my bicycle fell on my M3, when i was installing a stand on my wife's bicycle.
broke a corner front turn signal light housing.
f.

contrary to  popular belief about bimmer drivers, i am an avid user of turn signal, so i have to order a new set.

:rofl2:
That sucks.  Why did the bicycle fall in the first place?

Because he hadn't installed the bicycle stand yet, duh.  :rofl2:

Offline ChaosphereIX

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +187/-377
  • Wont run with the pack
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Jaguar XJR-L
« Reply #8801 on: May 22, 2018, 10:23:01 am »
was thoroughly entertained as my oil pressure gauge on the Alfa danced around seemingly at random - either my car is starved for oil because the pump is dying, and the engine is about to explode...or the sensor is dying

gotta love 25 year old Italian electrics!

time to order a new one, at least it is cheap and a simple job to replace
If driving an Alfa does not restore vitality to your soul, then just pass the hospital and park at the morgue to save everyone time.

Now drives a Jaaaaaaag...and thus will not pay for anything during an outing...but it is OK, because....I drive a Jaaaaaag.

Offline HeliDriver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +176/-235
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Crosstrek Sport 6MT; 2011 Yukon XL 2500
« Reply #8802 on: May 22, 2018, 11:10:42 am »
We were driving home yesterday afternoon and picked up a screw in the passenger front tire.  Right smack dab in the middle of the tread.  I went to Canadian Tire and bought this tire repair kit:  http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/victor-tire-toolbox-0092103p.html#srp.  Patched the tire myself.  I'll keep it in the van, so I can fix a flat no matter where we are. 
It also came with a Valvestem Core tool, which is something that I didn't have until now.  It allowed me to tighten one of the valve stem cores on the van that had been loose since we bought the thing.

Those kits are handy for a temporary fix, but a plug isn’t a proper repair. The only acceptable way to do it is to dismount the tire and also apply a patch from the inside.

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #8803 on: May 22, 2018, 11:24:22 am »
We were driving home yesterday afternoon and picked up a screw in the passenger front tire.  Right smack dab in the middle of the tread.  I went to Canadian Tire and bought this tire repair kit:  http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/victor-tire-toolbox-0092103p.html#srp.  Patched the tire myself.  I'll keep it in the van, so I can fix a flat no matter where we are. 
It also came with a Valvestem Core tool, which is something that I didn't have until now.  It allowed me to tighten one of the valve stem cores on the van that had been loose since we bought the thing.

Those kits are handy for a temporary fix, but a plug isn’t a proper repair. The only acceptable way to do it is to dismount the tire and also apply a patch from the inside.

True.  But this will keep us going for a couple of weeks until I can find time to get the van in for a plug.  All the tire places are booked solid at the moment, and I don't have time to leave the van with them for a full day.

These tires will be due for replacement next spring anyways.

Online Gurgie

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-518
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Honda Passport Touring
« Reply #8804 on: May 22, 2018, 11:30:04 am »

They might be temporary, but I've had one on the right rear tire on my Porsche for almost 4yrs now... And it's seen at least 3hrs of track time as well!

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

You live everyday. You only die once....

Offline ChaosphereIX

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +187/-377
  • Wont run with the pack
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Jaguar XJR-L
« Reply #8805 on: May 22, 2018, 11:34:39 am »

They might be temporary, but I've had one on the right rear tire on my Porsche for almost 4yrs now... And it's seen at least 3hrs of track time as well!

I am buying one for both my cars today. If it can survive track work that is really impressive.

Offline HeliDriver

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #8806 on: May 22, 2018, 11:37:11 am »
I suppose it’s like anything: chances are you won’t have a problem, but that doesn’t mean it’s the right/smart thing to take a chance on.

From what I understand, without a patch, you risk air and moisture getting in between the layers of the tire, possibly leading to tread separation and tire failure. Personally, I’m going to spend the 50 bucks to do it right.

Having said that, I’ve also used the plugs for a temporary fix. Very handy for situations like GBA’s.

Online Gurgie

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-518
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Honda Passport Touring
« Reply #8807 on: May 22, 2018, 11:40:25 am »

I am buying one for both my cars today. If it can survive track work that is really impressive.
This is the exact one I have.
http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/victor-heavy-duty-tubeless-tire-repair-kit-0092134p.html#srp

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #8808 on: May 22, 2018, 12:17:09 pm »

This is the exact one I have.
http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/victor-heavy-duty-tubeless-tire-repair-kit-0092134p.html#srp

I was at the store, looking at the one Gurgie has, and the one I eventually bought.  The one I got eventually won out, because it had the stem core tool, extra stem cores, as well as the plugs and plug tools, plus a pressure gauge. I needed a new pressure gauge, as the one I had wasn't very accurate anymore. 

That being said, when I was actually installing the plug, the tools with the T-handle would have been a LOT easier to use than the tools that I got in my kit, which had the equivalent of screwdriver handles.  It requires some force to get the plug into the tire.

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #8809 on: May 22, 2018, 12:17:59 pm »
I suppose it’s like anything: chances are you won’t have a problem, but that doesn’t mean it’s the right/smart thing to take a chance on.

From what I understand, without a patch, you risk air and moisture getting in between the layers of the tire, possibly leading to tread separation and tire failure. Personally, I’m going to spend the 50 bucks to do it right.

Having said that, I’ve also used the plugs for a temporary fix. Very handy for situations like GBA’s.

Like I said, these are old tires, and due for replacement next year anyway.  It does say on the box that this is a temporary fix, and should be permanently patched at a tire shop.  Mind you, the reviews that I've been reading on Crappy tire website is that for some people, the plugs have been holding for many years now.

Offline HeliDriver

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #8810 on: May 22, 2018, 01:17:37 pm »
Finally got the last coat of paint on a few touch-up spots on the GTI. The folks who hang out in the detailing forum will be appalled, but I’m good with it. :D

It’s an eight-year-old car, so I don’t expect it to be cosmetically perfect. The odd scrape and ding just gives it character, IMO, but I also don’t want to let rust get too out of control.

So, took some emery paper to the little bit of rust, hit it with a few coats of Crappy Tire Rust Check primer, then a few more coats from my five-year-old, globby VW paint marker. (Okay, in hindsight maybe I should have splurged on a new paint marker :P )

Offline HeliDriver

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #8811 on: May 22, 2018, 03:29:42 pm »
Pollen season as well. Car is covered in yellow dust from the pine trees. :P

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #8812 on: May 22, 2018, 06:14:57 pm »

Yeah, we left the Corolla at the Mt. Robson trailhead for three nights and omg, you'd almost swear it'd been repainted yellow.

Offline Bubba

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +382/-442
  • Vice President, Autos.ca Arizona Operations
    • View Profile
    • My photo site
  • Cars: 2013 Toyota Corolla LE
« Reply #8813 on: May 22, 2018, 07:17:30 pm »

Jesus H!   :o
My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government. - Thomas Jefferson

Offline tortoise

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +236/-453
    • View Profile
« Reply #8814 on: May 22, 2018, 07:38:34 pm »
Nice job on the repair.  Despite it not being perfect I'm sure it passes the 25 ft. test.
Only the slow and dim know where they're going in life, and seldom is it worth the trip. - Tom Robbins.

Offline Hannibalsmith

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +101/-137
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Porsche Cayman GTS 4.0, 2015 BMW 335i, 2021 Toyota 4Runner TRD Offroad
« Reply #8815 on: May 22, 2018, 09:18:54 pm »
Not today, but last Friday finally changed over my wheels to summer rims and tires at my tire shop Tires23. Man, ever time I go there it’s like a car show. This time, M2, WRX, Civic type R (in black looks good!), 5 or 6 GTRs and of course my car :)
I love it when a plan comes together.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7212
    • View Profile
« Reply #8816 on: May 22, 2018, 09:22:08 pm »
I'm still pissed I lost one of IQs hub centric rings.  New ones should be in Thurs.
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline Arthur Dent

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +186/-80
  • 42?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8817 on: May 22, 2018, 11:11:25 pm »
I'm still pissed I lost one of IQs hub centric rings.  New ones should be in Thurs.

How did she manage that?

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7212
    • View Profile
« Reply #8818 on: May 22, 2018, 11:42:50 pm »

How did she manage that?

I did it!  Me.

I have no idea.  I take her summers off and put everything in a heavy duty ziplock.  Been do it like this for over a decade.  Opened up the bag this year..only 3 rings.  FFS....

Offline Bubba

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +382/-442
  • Vice President, Autos.ca Arizona Operations
    • View Profile
    • My photo site
  • Cars: 2013 Toyota Corolla LE
« Reply #8819 on: May 22, 2018, 11:43:51 pm »

How did she manage that?

I did it!  Me.

I have no idea.  I take her summers off and put everything in a heavy duty ziplock.  Been do it like this for over a decade.  Opened up the bag this year..only 3 rings.  FFS....

Is it possible it could still be on the car?