Author Topic: What did you do to your car today?  (Read 3011259 times)

Offline HeliDriver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +176/-235
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Crosstrek Sport 6MT; 2011 Yukon XL 2500
Re: What did you do to your car today?
« Reply #8780 on: May 17, 2018, 11:02:15 pm »
^ yeah, that was the dealer price. Indie should be less.

And I’m also thinking it would be a good time to do the timing chain tensioner (another notorious issue  ::) ) and may as well replace the timing chain as well. Guess I’ll get a quote from the indie shop on all that as well.

I put together a shopping cart full of parts at ECS Tuning: US$2k. Ouch. Will check out RockAuto as well, but they obviously won’t have the fun stuff.

Offline jman72

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +6/-5
  • petrolhead
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 Golf GTI
« Reply #8781 on: May 18, 2018, 07:39:59 am »

And I’m also thinking it would be a good time to do the timing chain tensioner (another notorious issue  ::) ) and may as well replace the timing chain as well. Guess I’ll get a quote from the indie shop on all that as well.

I put together a shopping cart full of parts at ECS Tuning: US$2k. Ouch. Will check out RockAuto as well, but they obviously won’t have the fun stuff.

Interesting... this has got me thinking, as I am having the carbon cleaning done next Friday. Should I get the manifold replaced? What else is on your wish list? Thanks

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +268/-457
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mazda CX-5
« Reply #8782 on: May 18, 2018, 10:04:16 am »
So, what is the problem with this P2015 fault?  Is it a physical problem?  Or a bad sensor?

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #8783 on: May 18, 2018, 10:27:04 am »
So, what is the problem with this P2015 fault?  Is it a physical problem?  Or a bad sensor?

Decent vid that shows it...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K81W9eFPI-Q

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #8784 on: May 18, 2018, 10:31:06 am »
That is interesting, and a great explanation.

Seems like nothing that a tune would have caused. 

Offline tortoise

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +236/-453
    • View Profile
« Reply #8785 on: May 18, 2018, 10:55:14 am »
Another super detailed video on how it fails.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yvfVUkuPY0k&t=

And apparently VW finally updated the part:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5IVxPqriZkk&t=
Only the slow and dim know where they're going in life, and seldom is it worth the trip. - Tom Robbins.

Offline HeliDriver

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #8786 on: May 18, 2018, 11:18:09 am »

Interesting... this has got me thinking, as I am having the carbon cleaning done next Friday. Should I get the manifold replaced? What else is on your wish list? Thanks

I probably would, just because they have to take it off anyway to do the cleaning. We know it’s going to fail eventually, so I wouldn’t be keen to put a known-failure-prone part back on the car, even if it’s working fine now.

Along the same lines, I’m tempted to replace all the fuel injectors while I’m in there. They’re fine now, but also known to develop issues, so I’d rather just replace them now while I’m at it. The timing chain tensioner is a separate thing, but will also need to be done eventually. May as well do that too while I’m at it, and may as well replace the guides and chain and everything else while I’m in there.

Only problem with all that is timing: that’s the kind of project I’d have to wait until the fall to do, and not sure if the car will stay drivable until then. Might have to bite the bullet and take it to the shop.

Oh, and for other stuff, I figured I’d install that ECS clutch bleeder block and some kind of shift kit while I’m at it. Maybe stiffer engine and tranny mounts, too. Nothing crazy - I hear the 034 Motorsports street density mounts are nice.

Offline HeliDriver

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #8787 on: May 18, 2018, 12:29:15 pm »
Okay, talked to the shop that did the tune. They said it's hit and miss, but worth a try reflashing to stock and taking it to the dealer for warranty work. They said they've had quite a few tuned customers get warranty work approved, but also had a few that were denied. Apparently it depends on the tech who works on the vehicle: sometimes they do a simple scan, see the P2015 code, and just replace the manifold. But sometimes they do a full engine diagnostic, in which case the tune history is revealed and you're screwed.

But, it will cost $50 every time they do a reflash, so $50 to flash back to stock, then another $50 to flash back to the tune. Or I can spend $195 on a cable and do as many flashes back and forth as I want myself. Just to avoid the hassle of driving back and forth, may as well buy the cable.  :P

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #8788 on: May 18, 2018, 12:37:07 pm »
Okay, talked to the shop that did the tune. They said it's hit and miss, but worth a try reflashing to stock and taking it to the dealer for warranty work. They said they've had quite a few tuned customers get warranty work approved, but also had a few that were denied. Apparently it depends on the tech who works on the vehicle: sometimes they do a simple scan, see the P2015 code, and just replace the manifold. But sometimes they do a full engine diagnostic, in which case the tune history is revealed and you're screwed.

But, it will cost $50 every time they do a reflash, so $50 to flash back to stock, then another $50 to flash back to the tune. Or I can spend $195 on a cable and do as many flashes back and forth as I want myself. Just to avoid the hassle of driving back and forth, may as well buy the cable.  :P

I would say a 50% chance of getting a $2000 repair covered under warranty could be worth the reflash, as well as the VW Diagnostic fee.

If it ends up being covered under warranty, do they refund you the diagnostic fee?

Offline HeliDriver

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #8789 on: May 18, 2018, 12:41:12 pm »
^^ yep, if warranty is approved, no diagnostic fee. I'll give it a try and hope for the best.

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +391/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
« Reply #8790 on: May 18, 2018, 01:41:21 pm »
^^ yep, if warranty is approved, no diagnostic fee. I'll give it a try and hope for the best.

Good luck.

Found my bill from when I had mine done. $925 including taxes for new intake manifold, carbon cleaning, and had them change the oil while the car was there. The intake manifold was $256. Sadly one of those bills where more money is spent on labour than parts.

Offline tortoise

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #8791 on: May 21, 2018, 11:24:39 am »
A rock got stuck between the shield and the rotor and made a hell of a noise. Reversing didn't help.

So I jacked it up and pulled the front tire off. Using a screwdriver I pulled back the shield and a small rock fell out.  Put the wheel back on and no more noise.

But yeah, lug bolts are a PIA, think I'll order a guide tool...

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7212
    • View Profile
« Reply #8792 on: May 21, 2018, 02:07:49 pm »

I probably would, just because they have to take it off anyway to do the cleaning. We know it’s going to fail eventually, so I wouldn’t be keen to put a known-failure-prone part back on the car, even if it’s working fine now.

Along the same lines, I’m tempted to replace all the fuel injectors while I’m in there. They’re fine now, but also known to develop issues, so I’d rather just replace them now while I’m at it. The timing chain tensioner is a separate thing, but will also need to be done eventually. May as well do that too while I’m at it, and may as well replace the guides and chain and everything else while I’m in there.

Only problem with all that is timing: that’s the kind of project I’d have to wait until the fall to do, and not sure if the car will stay drivable until then. Might have to bite the bullet and take it to the shop.

Oh, and for other stuff, I figured I’d install that ECS clutch bleeder block and some kind of shift kit while I’m at it. Maybe stiffer engine and tranny mounts, too. Nothing crazy - I hear the 034 Motorsports street density mounts are nice.
I highly recommend the short throw shifter kit I put in the Audi TT. Exact same part for your car. Transformed the shifting. Was likely the best bang for buck mod I did. Was also surprised at the craptastic stock plastic parts.

That plus a heavy weighed knob made such a huge difference. I'm sure Angry Chicken can comment on it too.

https://www.dieselgeek.com/products/sigma-6-six-speed-short-shift-kit-for-vw
« Last Edit: May 21, 2018, 02:13:52 pm by rrocket »
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #8793 on: May 21, 2018, 02:09:32 pm »
A rock got stuck between the shield and the rotor and made a hell of a noise. Reversing didn't help.

So I jacked it up and pulled the front tire off. Using a screwdriver I pulled back the shield and a small rock fell out.  Put the wheel back on and no more noise.

But yeah, lug bolts are a PIA, think I'll order a guide tool...
What car? I have these bolts hanging around.

I just cut the head off and presto...instant guide.

I'll make you one.

Offline tortoise

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #8794 on: May 21, 2018, 02:26:12 pm »
Sweet!

It's for a VW Golf.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #8795 on: May 21, 2018, 02:40:21 pm »
Sweet!

It's for a VW Golf.
To double check that's 14mm x1.5 iirc?

Stock stud length is about 27mm long. How long you want you guide? 100mm?

Also...PM your addy to me. And for that matter...if anyone else wants one let me know. I'll make a bunch.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2018, 02:47:13 pm by rrocket »

Offline tortoise

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #8796 on: May 21, 2018, 04:39:42 pm »
Yes to 14mm x 1.5.  100mm sounds perfect.

PM sent.

Offline aquadorhj

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +271/-265
    • View Profile
  • Cars: MB SLK 55, Lexus NX, E46 M3, Honda Fit, VW Jetta, VW Rabbit, Saturn SC, Nissan NX,
« Reply #8797 on: May 21, 2018, 08:09:42 pm »
my bicycle fell on my M3, when i was installing a stand on my wife's bicycle.
broke a corner front turn signal light housing.
f.

contrary to  popular belief about bimmer drivers, i am an avid user of turn signal, so i have to order a new set.

Driving thrills makes my wallet lighter.. and therefore makes me faster because i'm shedding weight... :D

Offline carcrazed

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +39/-88
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Forester Touring; 2009 Civic EX-L
« Reply #8798 on: May 22, 2018, 10:12:22 am »
my bicycle fell on my M3, when i was installing a stand on my wife's bicycle.
broke a corner front turn signal light housing.
f.

contrary to  popular belief about bimmer drivers, i am an avid user of turn signal, so i have to order a new set.

:rofl2:
That sucks.  Why did the bicycle fall in the first place? 

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #8799 on: May 22, 2018, 10:18:27 am »
We were driving home yesterday afternoon and picked up a screw in the passenger front tire.  Right smack dab in the middle of the tread.  I went to Canadian Tire and bought this tire repair kit:  http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/victor-tire-toolbox-0092103p.html#srp.  Patched the tire myself.  I'll keep it in the van, so I can fix a flat no matter where we are. 
It also came with a Valvestem Core tool, which is something that I didn't have until now.  It allowed me to tighten one of the valve stem cores on the van that had been loose since we bought the thing.