Author Topic: What did you do to your car today?  (Read 3011646 times)

Offline tenpenny

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +137/-305
    • View Profile
Re: What did you do to your car today?
« Reply #8620 on: April 30, 2018, 12:53:25 pm »
My mother told me that's what they used to do to get the hair off, but we're talking 1930s on her farm.

Hit them between the eyes with a mallet, dunk them in boiling water, then hang them and slaughter them.

She could not eat pork as an adult, for some reason, LOL.

I'm pretty sure it's different now, but that is, from what I understand, where the expression 'bleeding like a stuck pig' comes from.
My diesel car self-identifies as an electric vehicle.

Offline ChaosphereIX

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +187/-377
  • Wont run with the pack
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Jaguar XJR-L
« Reply #8621 on: April 30, 2018, 01:04:16 pm »
So the pig gets boiled alive?
oftentimes yes, they do...but nobody cares

not illegal if it is considered "standard agricultural practice" - which basically covers anything
If driving an Alfa does not restore vitality to your soul, then just pass the hospital and park at the morgue to save everyone time.

Now drives a Jaaaaaaag...and thus will not pay for anything during an outing...but it is OK, because....I drive a Jaaaaaag.

Offline Blueprint

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +170/-232
  • member since way back when
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 Mazda CX-90 GS-L PHEV, 2022 Subaru Crosstrek Limited, 1975 Triumph TR6
« Reply #8622 on: April 30, 2018, 07:33:17 pm »
Temps finally going up here, so I swapped the tires on the e-tron. Have to wonder why ze Germans use bolts instead of nuts to hold the wheels to the car. More steps needed as you need to screw in the plastic wheel guide. Of course, the hubs barely have any rim to support the wheels. Heading back to work tomorrow after a Chicago vacay, first time I'll drive the Audi in seven weeks!
Traffic engineer/project manager & part time auto journalist

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #8623 on: April 30, 2018, 08:06:50 pm »
Yeah, I took a leap of faith and swapped the Highlander's summers on.  We don't have a mountain trip planned until the May Long, so that should be fine.  Shopping for new summer tires for the Corolla right now.

Offline blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +244/-779
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
  • Cars: and bikes by age:BMW, Porsche, Subaru, Suzuki, Suzuki, Mazda, Jaguar, Kawasaki, Porsche, GMC, Suzuki
« Reply #8624 on: April 30, 2018, 08:25:27 pm »
^Also swapped the summers onto the Cayenne today
Mr Pickypants

Offline KD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +359/-263
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Frontier Pro-4X, 2013 Lexus GS-350
« Reply #8625 on: April 30, 2018, 10:09:40 pm »
Had new set of Pirelli P7 Plus installed today at costco.  Always great service there but i was pissed that they replaced the hd black garbage bags that i brought the old ones in with clear plastic ones for storing the winters.   ???  It was my wife that took it in and she never thought anything was wrong with that.  I keep the tires in my shed and like the black bags for the uv protection.  I'll get her to ask for black ones when she goes back to get the lugs torqued.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7212
    • View Profile
« Reply #8626 on: April 30, 2018, 10:20:52 pm »
Had new set of Pirelli P7 Plus installed today at costco.  Always great service there but i was pissed that they replaced the hd black garbage bags that i brought the old ones in with clear plastic ones for storing the winters.   ???  It was my wife that took it in and she never thought anything was wrong with that.  I keep the tires in my shed and like the black bags for the uv protection.  I'll get her to ask for black ones when she goes back to get the lugs torqued.

Tires for which car?
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline KD

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #8627 on: April 30, 2018, 10:26:05 pm »

Tires for which car?

Sorry, GS350. 

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #8628 on: April 30, 2018, 10:36:09 pm »

Tires for which car?

Sorry, GS350.

These tires are extremely quiet!

How do you like the ride?

Offline KD

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #8629 on: April 30, 2018, 10:44:36 pm »

Tires for which car?

Sorry, GS350.

I haven't driven it yet.  I was really impressed how well the car felt with the 17" winter wheel/tire package that i bought last fall.  Not so much the handling per se but the overall ride quality was impressive.  Must be due to the lighter weight.  Anyways, looking forward to trying the new ones.  I read lots of reviews and you recommended them a while back.  Besides they were a better price than anything else decent that they had.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #8630 on: April 30, 2018, 10:59:22 pm »

Tires for which car?

Sorry, GS350.

I haven't driven it yet.  I was really impressed how well the car felt with the 17" winter wheel/tire package that i bought last fall.  Not so much the handling per se but the overall ride quality was impressive.  Must be due to the lighter weight.  Anyways, looking forward to trying the new ones.  I read lots of reviews and you recommended them a while back.  Besides they were a better price than anything else decent that they had.

Also make note of the impact absorption....quietest tire I've ever had for impacts.

Offline 2JDM

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +119/-141
    • View Profile
« Reply #8631 on: April 30, 2018, 11:06:33 pm »
Looks like I can squeeze by 1 more season on my UHP Michelin Pilot Sport A/S3's. They roughly have 35-40k on them so far. They've been great - smooth, quiet, and excellent in the wet, although I wish they would last a bit longer.

I'm debating if I should go for a dedicated summer tire next spring. Do they make that big of a difference in handling? I really appreciate the current balance I have now with the all season A/S3's.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #8632 on: April 30, 2018, 11:36:39 pm »
Looks like I can squeeze by 1 more season on my UHP Michelin Pilot Sport A/S3's. They roughly have 35-40k on them so far. They've been great - smooth, quiet, and excellent in the wet, although I wish they would last a bit longer.

I'm debating if I should go for a dedicated summer tire next spring. Do they make that big of a difference in handling? I really appreciate the current balance I have now with the all season A/S3's.

I went back and forth on this.  But a few test articles showed the AS3 nearly as quick (like almost exactly) as Michelins summer tire.  But in the wet, the AS3 has drastically better stick.  The AS3 was also quicker in the dry than the competitors SUMMER tires.  Not sure if that's still true with newer offerings from competitors. 

I drive in all weather..rain or shine...so I went with the AS3.  I also wore mine out quicker than you did!!

Offline HeliDriver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +176/-235
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Crosstrek Sport 6MT; 2011 Yukon XL 2500
« Reply #8633 on: April 30, 2018, 11:54:52 pm »
I put the A/S3+ on the GTI last summer. They're okay, but I don't think I'll do them again. The handling is really good (stiff sidewalls, crisp turn-in) but grip seems down from the pure summer tires I've had on the car. Not that that is entirely a bad thing on the street, but still.

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +391/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
« Reply #8634 on: May 01, 2018, 07:08:04 am »
Have to wonder why ze Germans use bolts instead of nuts to hold the wheels to the car. More steps needed as you need to screw in the plastic wheel guide. Of course, the hubs barely have any rim to support the wheels.

I must be lucky with my GTI as I don't need to use a guide and the rims will sit on the hub while I grab the bolts.

Offline Weels

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +253/-259
  • This is my happy face
    • View Profile
  • Cars: The 5's: 2023 Mazda CX-5, 2016 Mazda MX-5
« Reply #8635 on: May 01, 2018, 08:19:42 am »
Celebrating first day of May by getting snow tires removed.
Holey $hit.

Offline mlin32

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +65/-419
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Peugeot 308 GT; 2015 Yamaha YZF-R3
« Reply #8636 on: May 01, 2018, 08:39:47 am »
Have to wonder why ze Germans use bolts instead of nuts to hold the wheels to the car. More steps needed as you need to screw in the plastic wheel guide. Of course, the hubs barely have any rim to support the wheels.

I must be lucky with my GTI as I don't need to use a guide and the rims will sit on the hub while I grab the bolts.
Ditto I never had any difficulty with the bolts on the BMWs. Never used a guide or anything like that.  ???
ø cons: Peugeot 308: Yamaha R3 [/URL]

Offline blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +244/-779
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
  • Cars: and bikes by age:BMW, Porsche, Subaru, Suzuki, Suzuki, Mazda, Jaguar, Kawasaki, Porsche, GMC, Suzuki
« Reply #8637 on: May 01, 2018, 08:46:03 am »

I've never used a guide, mostly because I don't have one I guess.   One might have been useful yesterday, Cayenne wheels aren't exactly light and don't seem to sit on the hub.

911 uses studs.

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +268/-457
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mazda CX-5
« Reply #8638 on: May 01, 2018, 09:23:11 am »
So I hooked the trailer up to the van yesterday to test the brake controller.

The good news is that the brake controller works, and the trailer brakes work. 

The bad news is that I am not getting 12V power from the van to the trailer.  Last year I had a similar problem, but then it went away.  At the beginning of the year, I didn't have 12V power.  It wasn't mission critical, so I ignored it, but then in July I noticed that it had fixed itself, and it was good for the rest of the year. 

So how, you ask, did I ascertain if the brake controller and brakes work if I don't have 12V going from the van to the trailer?  well, I plugged the trailer into shore power, and that was enough to power the brakes and make sure that the controller/brakes work. 

This year, having 12V from the van to the trailer IS critical, or the brakes won't function. So now I need to go at both the trailer AND the van with a voltage tester to figure out where the problem lies.  Truth be told, I hope the problem is with the trailer and not the van, as the trailer will be much simpler to figure out what is what (and the wiring is more accessible).

Offline 2JDM

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +119/-141
    • View Profile
« Reply #8639 on: May 01, 2018, 09:48:26 am »

I went back and forth on this.  But a few test articles showed the AS3 nearly as quick (like almost exactly) as Michelins summer tire.  But in the wet, the AS3 has drastically better stick.  The AS3 was also quicker in the dry than the competitors SUMMER tires.  Not sure if that's still true with newer offerings from competitors. 

I drive in all weather..rain or shine...so I went with the AS3.  I also wore mine out quicker than you did!!
Was thinking Continental Extreme Contact Sport summer tires next time... The equivalent Michelin Pilot Super Sports are way too expensive.

Or I'll just buy another set of the AS3+.

Sent from my FRD-L04 using Tapatalk