Author Topic: What did you do to your car today?  (Read 3012004 times)

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7212
    • View Profile
Re: What did you do to your car today?
« Reply #8520 on: April 13, 2018, 05:32:19 pm »
The thought of pressure washing my car makes me cringe. Maybe the underside once in the spring to get rid of the salt, that's it though.
Pressure washer with foam gun/foam cannon attachment...

It's the way to go! Doesn't harm paint, coatings, etc And with a quality soap, creates a barrier between wash mit and paint.

If you truly love your paint, there's no better way.

According to who?  Same lame marketing? Do whatever makes you happy.  On a car I care about I wouldn't use a pressure washer.  I feel the garden hose has more control as well.

The pressure in the pressure washer is used to foam the soap in a cannon. Doesn't come out under pressure..about as much as a hose....and coats the paint in a perfect layer of foam/soap. Which prevents swirling when you use your mitt.

I too was skeptical until I saw it used at a PCA detailing clinic. There's a reason they use these when detailing bazillion  dollar cars IMO..

Even the cheap versions do a great job!

https://youtu.be/dDamYmjLdFQ
« Last Edit: April 13, 2018, 05:34:04 pm by rrocket »
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +245/-468
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Hyundai Entourage, 2007 Buick Lucerne
« Reply #8521 on: April 13, 2018, 05:53:26 pm »
The thought of pressure washing my car makes me cringe. Maybe the underside once in the spring to get rid of the salt, that's it though.

It's the way to go! Doesn't harm paint, coatings, etc And with a quality soap, creates a barrier between wash mit and paint.

According to who?  Same lame marketing? Do whatever makes you happy.  On a car I care about I wouldn't use a pressure washer.  I feel the garden hose has more control as well.

The pressure in the pressure washer is used to foam the soap in a cannon. Doesn't come out under pressure..about as much as a hose....and coats the paint in a perfect layer of foam/soap. Which prevents swirling when you use your mitt.

I too was skeptical until I saw it used at a PCA detailing clinic. There's a reason they use these when detailing bazillion  dollar cars IMO..

Will be back to argue, when time is permitted!  ;D

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #8522 on: April 13, 2018, 05:56:07 pm »
What's an integral part is the foam cannon soap. They use something similar to ONR in which it causes the dirt particles to be lifted off the pain in a film to prevent scratching.

I love ONR BTW!

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2121
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2020 Toyota Tundra, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #8523 on: April 13, 2018, 05:57:12 pm »

Will be back to argue, when time is permitted!  ;D

You can't argue against the foam cannons....they just work. Thats like arguing against gravity, or the fact that the Camaro is faster than the Mustang   ;D :P
Lighten up Francis.....

Offline CanuckS2K

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +398/-316
    • View Profile
    • Prestige Auto Detail
  • Cars: 1991 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 2005 Honda S2000, 2014 Infiniti Q50S, 2017 Ford F-150 Lariat
« Reply #8524 on: April 13, 2018, 06:19:21 pm »
Learn to hand wash the car

Still need a pressure washer.  If you don't have one I recommend this:

https://www.homedepot.ca/en/home/p.k1710-cube-electric-pressure-washer.1001046210.html

Walking thru Home Depot last summer and they had a pile of these at the door for $99.00   Perfect for cars @ only 1700 psi.

Ummmmm nope, not even remotely true.  If you NEED a pressure washer to wash your car you're doing it wrong......severely wrong.
Owner - Prestige Auto Detailing & Hammond River Brewing

Offline CanuckS2K

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
    • Prestige Auto Detail
  • Cars: 1991 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 2005 Honda S2000, 2014 Infiniti Q50S, 2017 Ford F-150 Lariat
« Reply #8525 on: April 13, 2018, 06:22:21 pm »

You think dealerships of any brand use hose pressure.  We are not talking about peeling paint off deck boards here.  :rofl2:

Low psi wand with wide coverage.  Uses way less water and gets rid of the soap fast.  Plus hose pressure is useless on cloth convertible tops.

Exactly.  And do you think dealerships do a proper and professional job cleaning vehicles?  Nope.

There is a reason why every single professional detailer does NOT use a straight up pressure washer when washing their customer's vehicles.  Foam cannons are the cat's ass though. 

Online Firm

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +232/-1072
  • Urban Hick
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 XKR, 2007 DTS, 2006 Escalade, 2000 Sonoma ZQ8,1996 Firebird, 1996 Firebird Formula, 1985 Trans Am, 1984 Camaro, 1978 MGB x2
« Reply #8526 on: April 13, 2018, 07:55:45 pm »
Foam cannons look cool, maybe a bit gimmicky, but cool. I am not gunna go run out and get one, but if/when one comes my way I'll check it out.

Dealership washes usually suck the big one. Years ago when I was getting the SLK serviced at the local Benz dealer they'd wash it, paint would always come back stripped of wax. After that I'd beg them not to wash it, but inevitably they'd forget and wash it anyway, one of the many reasons I gave up on dealer service.

Offline CanuckS2K

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
    • Prestige Auto Detail
« Reply #8527 on: April 13, 2018, 08:08:21 pm »
Foam cannons look cool, maybe a bit gimmicky, but cool. I am not gunna go run out and get one, but if/when one comes my way I'll check it out.

Dealership washes usually suck the big one. Years ago when I was getting the SLK serviced at the local Benz dealer they'd wash it, paint would always come back stripped of wax. After that I'd beg them not to wash it, but inevitably they'd forget and wash it anyway, one of the many reasons I gave up on dealer service.

Zach, this is the one that I have.  Nothing pricey, just simple and it works extremely well.  The less physical contact with your paint the better, which is why I love mine and wouldn't be without one.  And I'm about as picky as they come when it comes to detailing.

https://www.eshine.ca/products/riccardo-foam-cannon-car-wash-soap-canada

And yeah, Dealerships are absolutely horrible when it comes to using proper washing and paint protection techniques. 

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #8528 on: April 13, 2018, 08:24:41 pm »

Zach, this is the one that I have.  Nothing pricey, just simple and it works extremely well.  The less physical contact with your paint the better, which is why I love mine and wouldn't be without one.  And I'm about as picky as they come when it comes to detailing.

https://www.eshine.ca/products/riccardo-foam-cannon-car-wash-soap-canada

And yeah, Dealerships are absolutely horrible when it comes to using proper washing and paint protection techniques.
There you have it folks...if our resident detailing guru says they work....what more do you need?

Shane...wasn't it you that turned Snowman onto a foam gun?

Offline BWII

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +188/-376
    • View Profile
« Reply #8529 on: April 16, 2018, 07:45:42 pm »
That looks just like that $16 Amazon gun...

I:
- changed oil
- put a new air filter in
- put the summer tires on.  Not sure why you guys pump 'em to 50 psi, mine were all 33/34 lbs when I checked, same as when I took them off.

Car looks so much nicer with the factory wheels, and (the tires) feels so much better too.

Offline Seafoam

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +89/-202
    • View Profile
« Reply #8530 on: April 16, 2018, 07:54:27 pm »

I:
- changed oil
- put the summer tires on.  Not sure why you guys pump 'em to 50 psi, mine were all 33/34 lbs when I checked, same as when I took them off.

Car looks so much nicer with the factory wheels, and (the tires) feels so much better too.

pump them up to prevent flat spotting not pressure loss.  Do your tires have nitrogen in them.
2023 Honda Civic EX-B
2004 Mazdaspeed Miata

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #8531 on: April 16, 2018, 07:59:46 pm »

pump them up to prevent flat spotting not pressure loss.  Do your tires have nitrogen in them.

Who stores their tires tread side down for winter?  How will they flat spot if stored like this?  Or even if stored tread down removed from car...I don't think it's likely they flat spot under their own weight.

« Last Edit: April 16, 2018, 08:15:03 pm by rrocket »

Offline BWII

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #8532 on: April 16, 2018, 08:05:32 pm »

I:
- changed oil

About 80% or so....whatever comes out of my trusty Cdn Tire tire pump.  ;D  I thought flat spots only happened when that restoration show guy stomped your brakes... :P  Mine are up near the ceiling with a 2X4 pressed against their bottoms to keep 'em from falling on my head.  And car.

Offline Seafoam

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #8533 on: April 16, 2018, 08:23:32 pm »

Who stores their tires tread side down for winter?  How will they flat spot if stored like this?  Or even if stored tread down removed from car...I don't think it's likely they flat spot under their own weight.

I'm talking when on a car not driven in winter. I think flat spotting not really much of an issue today. I pump them up anyway. I wouldn't put extra  air in  my summer tires i am storing on racks.

Offline Seafoam

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #8534 on: April 16, 2018, 08:26:07 pm »

I:
- changed oil

About 80% or so....whatever comes out of my trusty Cdn Tire tire pump.  ;D  I thought flat spots only happened when that restoration show guy stomped your brakes... :P  Mine are up near the ceiling with a 2X4 pressed against their bottoms to keep 'em from falling on my head.  And car.

I wouldn't bother adding extra air in that case. But that's just me. ;D

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #8535 on: April 16, 2018, 08:54:58 pm »
Got back from my ski trip a day early, so took Saturday to get the Highlander's front brakes back in good working order.  Swapped out the front calipers, pads and discs.  All fresh!  Compared to working on the Subaru, it's practically a joy.  So easy, omg.

The front left caliper was seized, such a PITA since the brakes were in such good shape otherwise.

Took about 2 hours without rushing.  Being a Toyota tech must be a cushy job.  Well, except for the rear bank of spark plugs on the V-6.  I'm not excited about that.

Offline BWII

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #8536 on: April 19, 2018, 11:03:53 pm »
Put the summer tires on the Sonic.  While I had it in the garage I figured I might as well check the oil...pop the hood and a 1/4 of the under-hood insulation is gone.  Facking squirrels!  I got a live trap with peanuts and peanut butter...and still they go for the non-food.  Stupid little effers... >:( Maybe instead of repatriating them 5 miles from town, I should just get a bucket of water and hang their carcasses off the deck to dry when ready.  And a sign that says "F#CK YOU, SQUIRREL!"...probably can't read though...not like they're crows or something.  Probably wouldn't get the message.  >:( ::)

And so I also changed the oil...why not, it's in the garage, it's a nice evening.

Offline Bubba

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +382/-442
  • Vice President, Autos.ca Arizona Operations
    • View Profile
    • My photo site
  • Cars: 2013 Toyota Corolla LE
« Reply #8537 on: April 19, 2018, 11:06:05 pm »
Put the summer tires on the Sonic.  While I had it in the garage I figured I might as well check the oil...pop the hood and a 1/4 of the under-hood insulation is gone.  Facking squirrels!  I got a live trap with peanuts and peanut butter...and still they go for the non-food.  Stupid little effers... >:( Maybe instead of repatriating them 5 miles from town, I should just get a bucket of water and hang their carcasses off the deck to dry when ready.  And a sign that says "F#CK YOU, SQUIRREL!"...probably can't read though...not like they're crows or something.  Probably wouldn't get the message.  >:( ::)

And so I also changed the oil...why not, it's in the garage, it's a nice evening.

Make one of these and I'll come by to watch.
My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government. - Thomas Jefferson

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-6812
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #8538 on: April 20, 2018, 10:19:36 pm »
Notwithstanding the politics of it all ........  :rofl2: :rofl2: :rofl2:

Offline ChaosphereIX

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +187/-377
  • Wont run with the pack
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Jaguar XJR-L
« Reply #8539 on: April 21, 2018, 08:44:15 am »
washed the Alfa, detailed it...today it is the Saabs turn
If driving an Alfa does not restore vitality to your soul, then just pass the hospital and park at the morgue to save everyone time.

Now drives a Jaaaaaaag...and thus will not pay for anything during an outing...but it is OK, because....I drive a Jaaaaaag.