Author Topic: What did you do to your car today?  (Read 3012356 times)

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
Re: What did you do to your car today?
« Reply #8420 on: March 12, 2018, 02:53:33 pm »
After reading a number of stories about people losing or nearly losing wheels due to improperly torqued lug nuts/bolts, I went around the car with the torque wrench. Everything was fine.

I do the wheel changeovers myself, as I've always done, so I was fairly confident they were ok. But then again.  ;D

On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-6812
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #8421 on: March 12, 2018, 03:23:34 pm »
Brand new aluminum wheels might be a cause for a second tighten, but I never re torque generally.  I just set the wrench to 100 lbs. to compensate for the possible weakness in the wrench springs (20 years old).  Maybe I should just get a torque stick to compare.  But then again how does one know the accuracy of the stick.

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #8422 on: March 12, 2018, 04:08:43 pm »
Brand new aluminum wheels might be a cause for a second tighten, but I never re torque generally.  I just set the wrench to 100 lbs. to compensate for the possible weakness in the wrench springs (20 years old).  Maybe I should just get a torque stick to compare.  But then again how does one know the accuracy of the stick.
It wil only cost probably a couple hundred dollars to get the wrench calibrated  ;D

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7212
    • View Profile
« Reply #8423 on: March 12, 2018, 05:00:50 pm »
It wil only cost probably a couple hundred dollars to get the wrench calibrated  ;D

I used to go to a local place that had a torque tester.  Check new torque wrench...go.  They never charged me which was nice.

How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #8424 on: March 13, 2018, 12:14:46 am »
I'm assuming the issues are people forgetting to torque down a few lugnuts and the wheel eventually loosens.

The Passat's lug bolts are to be torqued to 103ft-lbs, which seemed a bit arbitrary, but it's almost exactly 140Nms, which is a bit more even. 

Offline Firm

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +232/-1072
  • Urban Hick
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 XKR, 2007 DTS, 2006 Escalade, 2000 Sonoma ZQ8,1996 Firebird, 1996 Firebird Formula, 1985 Trans Am, 1984 Camaro, 1978 MGB x2
« Reply #8425 on: March 13, 2018, 08:16:37 am »
I know this sound ridiculous; but I've never torqued lug nuts....I just give them a good tug with a breaker bar and call it good. I've never had an issue, ever, and I'd wager that I've installed many more wheels than the average guy. I am super careful though about making sure I don't miss any of them.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #8426 on: March 13, 2018, 08:36:03 am »
I know this sound ridiculous; but I've never torqued lug nuts....I just give them a good tug with a breaker bar and call it good. I've never had an issue, ever, and I'd wager that I've installed many more wheels than the average guy. I am super careful though about making sure I don't miss any of them.
Over tightening can cause the same issues as under tightening...except with additional problems such as lug, stud or even rotor deformation. Lug nuts have stretching properties built into them that help them achieve correct clamp load...essentially behaving as if you have a lock washer installed. Over tightening reduces the ability of the nut to "spring back" (yield point) to keep the correct clamp load.

It's simple metallurgical physics...of which most people don't understand.

Offline Firm

• Car Crazy
  • Urban Hick
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 XKR, 2007 DTS, 2006 Escalade, 2000 Sonoma ZQ8,1996 Firebird, 1996 Firebird Formula, 1985 Trans Am, 1984 Camaro, 1978 MGB x2
« Reply #8427 on: March 13, 2018, 09:06:04 am »
Over tightening can cause the same issues as under tightening...except with additional problems such as lug, stud or even rotor deformation. Lug nuts have stretching properties built into them that help them achieve correct clamp load...essentially behaving as if you have a lock washer installed. Over tightening reduces the ability of the nut to "spring back" (yield point) to keep the correct clamp load.

Yeah, I definitely do not overtighten....Remember, I am 120lbs, one firm 'tug' on a breaker bar from me won't even come close to over tightening. I've also never killed a nut/stud.

Offline Bubba

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +382/-442
  • Vice President, Autos.ca Arizona Operations
    • View Profile
    • My photo site
  • Cars: 2013 Toyota Corolla LE
« Reply #8428 on: March 13, 2018, 09:27:38 am »

Can overtightening lead to warped rotors?
My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government. - Thomas Jefferson

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #8429 on: March 13, 2018, 09:28:26 am »

Yeah, I definitely do not overtighten....Remember, I am 120lbs, one firm 'tug' on a breaker bar from me won't even come close to over tightening. I've also never killed a nut/stud.

The thing is, you usually can't tell you've killed it if you go over the yield point.

I'm sure you've used torque to yield stuff before (cylinder head studs for example) and over tightening those you can't tell you've ruined them. Also, on some of nuts/studs they are 1 time use only because the yield...and on subsequent use, they don't spring back...even though they look minty new.

But we're over complicating things.

Don't over tighten stuff. :)

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +268/-457
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mazda CX-5
« Reply #8430 on: March 13, 2018, 10:11:50 am »

Hmm, I can therefore apply double that torque you can apply...I think it is possible for me to overtorque things. 

Then again, I haven't met a stubborn bolt that I couldn't break lose.  Being a fatty has its advantages. 

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +268/-457
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mazda CX-5
« Reply #8431 on: March 13, 2018, 10:23:42 am »
After reading a number of stories about people losing or nearly losing wheels due to improperly torqued lug nuts/bolts, I went around the car with the torque wrench. Everything was fine.

I do the wheel changeovers myself, as I've always done, so I was fairly confident they were ok. But then again.  ;D

I've been in a vehicle to which this has happened. 

When I was a teenager, my Dad wanted to spruce up his Dodge Ram with some new wheels and tires.  He bought a set of new aluminum rims and a nice set of Michelin tires from a local Hamilton tire shop, who also mounted and installed them.  The day after, he wanted to take a trip with his truck and new wheels, so we drove out to Port Dover for lunch.  We made it to Port Dover, and were on our way back.  It was raining.  We were on Highway six, just south of Hagersville, doing the speed limit, when we felt a vibration coming from somewhere deep in the truck.  It lasted for about 10 seconds, and we didn't think much of it, other than some sort of weird road condition.  About a minute later, we felt the vibration again, and all of a sudden the rear driverside corner of the truck dropped to the ground.  My Dad wrestled the truck to the shoulder, and as we pulled over, we saw a brand new wheel and tire come bounding and rolling past us, on down the road into the opposite lane. Luckily, there was no oncoming traffic, as that wheel and tire could have gone straight through a windshield and killed somebody.  Instead, it rolled for a few hundred meters, before settling in the ditch on the opposite side of the road.

Upon closer inspection to the dropped axle, all the studs were bent, and some were even missing.  This mean't that installing the spare tire was not an option.  Luckily, my Dad had a cell phone through his work (this was 1998?!? - cell phones were not common place) and we were able to call for a tow.  The tow truck came (a flatbed), loaded the truck, and drove us the hour back into the city.  The driver dropped the truck off at the tire shop, before driving us back home. 

The next morning, my Dad called the tire shop and talked to the owner, to explain why the truck was sitting in his parking lot, with a wheel in the bed.  My Dad bet that the reason the wheel had come off, was that the mechanic had probably forgot to torque the lugnuts, and just left them finger tight, probably.  The owner tried to argue this, and said that a thief had likely tried to steal the wheels at some point in the 24 hours from when the wheels/tires were installed to when one came off, but got spooked and left after only managing to loosen some lugnuts.  Haha.  Yeah Right.

In the end, he took partial responsibility, and ended up replacing the broken/missing studs, as well as replacing the wheel which had been damaged.  He didn't end up paying for the tow, unfortunately, leaving my Dad on the hook for that part of it.

Lesson is:  Always check the torque of your lugnuts after having wheels/tires switched over, as you never know if the installer was a numpty who effed up.

All I gotta say is, we were lucky the truck was empty when it happened, as opposed to when my Dad was towing his 29' Striper fishing boat (about 9000lbs), as it could have been much, much worse.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2018, 10:27:06 am by Great_Big_Abyss »

Offline ChaosphereIX

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +187/-377
  • Wont run with the pack
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Jaguar XJR-L
« Reply #8432 on: March 13, 2018, 12:46:16 pm »
In the shop currently. Saab is misfiring again under boost even with factory tune. Coil pack methinks or crap plugs. Hopefully...or else it is turbo related yikes.

Edit: 2 new coil packs and 4 spark plugs later it seems to be solved.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2018, 11:06:58 am by ChaosphereIX »
If driving an Alfa does not restore vitality to your soul, then just pass the hospital and park at the morgue to save everyone time.

Now drives a Jaaaaaaag...and thus will not pay for anything during an outing...but it is OK, because....I drive a Jaaaaaag.

Offline Blueprint

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +170/-232
  • member since way back when
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 Mazda CX-90 GS-L PHEV, 2022 Subaru Crosstrek Limited, 1975 Triumph TR6
« Reply #8433 on: March 13, 2018, 01:03:50 pm »
The Ody got four new discs, a full set of new pads, an oil change and inspections as it called for its first service in 14 months. Brakes were original from 2012.
Traffic engineer/project manager & part time auto journalist

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-6812
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #8434 on: March 13, 2018, 09:23:25 pm »
Can overtightening lead to warped rotors?

Possibly. I use a 1/2 inch torque wrench mostly to get the torque even on all 5 studs. In the olden days with old Detroit iron I just put max armstrong on each stud.

Offline HeliDriver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +176/-235
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Crosstrek Sport 6MT; 2011 Yukon XL 2500
« Reply #8435 on: March 14, 2018, 11:05:04 am »
Had the shop replace a leaking pinion seal on the Yukon's front diff yesterday morning. That's the third time it's been replaced in 160,000 km and 7 years.  :P

And the weather was nice in the afternoon so I put in the new spark plugs and wires I'd ordered a while ago. Wasn't as easy as doing it on my four-bangers, but access wasn't too horrible. Only skinned two knuckles, so I guess it could have been worse.  :P  :-\

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +245/-468
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Hyundai Entourage, 2007 Buick Lucerne
« Reply #8436 on: March 14, 2018, 11:10:39 am »
Had the shop replace a leaking pinion seal on the Yukon's front diff yesterday morning. That's the third time it's been replaced in 160,000 km and 7 years.  :P

And the weather was nice in the afternoon so I put in the new spark plugs and wires I'd ordered a while ago. Wasn't as easy as doing it on my four-bangers, but access wasn't too horrible. Only skinned two knuckles, so I guess it could have been worse.  :P  :-\

Is that common to all Yukons?  or ones with certain engines?  or maybe just the 2500?

Offline HeliDriver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +176/-235
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Crosstrek Sport 6MT; 2011 Yukon XL 2500
« Reply #8437 on: March 14, 2018, 11:28:00 am »

Is that common to all Yukons?  or ones with certain engines?  or maybe just the 2500?

I have no idea. Seems ridiculous to me, but nobody at the shop seems to think it's that odd

At least they were good about it. The last one was put in just over a year ago (January 2017, so 12-month warranty had expired) but they replaced it for free anyway. Said there were no apparent issues that would have caused the seal to go that quickly. Maybe they put it in cockeyed or something and wouldn't admit to it?

Offline Firm

• Car Crazy
  • Urban Hick
    • View Profile
« Reply #8438 on: March 14, 2018, 11:28:45 am »
The 2500 might have a different front diff, but I did have to do the seals in the front diff in our Escalade. Had it done at a shop last year sometime, it was dripping (very little, maybe a drop or two a week) where the axle shafts go into the diff. I don't recall the work being too expensive, <$500 for sure.

I also have new plugs and wires to go into mine, they've been sitting on the shelf for at least 6 months now. I'll get to it eventually, access does look pretty easy on all 8.

Offline sszoomzoom

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +24/-10
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Mazda CX5 Signature - Soul Red Crystal Metallic
« Reply #8439 on: March 14, 2018, 03:35:23 pm »
I have had it with winter. I just had my winter tires swapped with my all seasons. If it decides to snow I will call it snow day and stay home. This is my way of being a rebel.