Author Topic: What did you do to your car today?  (Read 3012391 times)

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2121
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2020 Toyota Tundra, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
Re: What did you do to your car today?
« Reply #8400 on: March 04, 2018, 05:49:37 pm »
My HL is going to look like Fob's Mitsu in the spring, once I get the Miata out.  I'm going to refresh most of the suspension this year.  The old gal has served me well on logging roads and backcountry trails and on mining roads in Alaska and she can have some shiny new bits.

Where do you get the parts from? My sienna. Needs new shocks and spring in the back
I'd look on rockauto and there should be a Toyota specific car parts place in the states like toyotapartswarehouse or something similar.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

Lighten up Francis.....

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #8401 on: March 04, 2018, 07:03:44 pm »
It's all coming from Rock Auto, maybe.  The local parts store here says they make their own KYB Quick Struts and match Rock Auto prices.  I'm going to see if they're BS'ing me on that.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7212
    • View Profile
« Reply #8402 on: March 04, 2018, 09:33:19 pm »
heh inferior electrics if a CEL disables other systems! - when an Italian car trips a CEL, it is just yet another blinking light on the dash. Nothing is disabled, nothing is wrong.  :rofl2:
Because of the general nature of CEL, it could also be a wheel speed sensor for example. In which case it shuts down those systems that rely on it. A bit of a blanket safety system...

I'm sure they could up processing power and complexity (which might be the case now) and have some type of logic like "if x=y, then shut down z system too".
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #8403 on: March 04, 2018, 09:46:17 pm »
My Highlander has had two CELs in the six years I've owned it.  One was for a loose gas cap, and the other an O2 sensor trip that came from a false start, so no need to replace parts.  It's uncommon for modern Toyota's to throw codes.

I'm sure I'll have to replace the O2 sensor at some point.  The downstream ones eventually go.

Offline mlin32

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +65/-419
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Peugeot 308 GT; 2015 Yamaha YZF-R3
« Reply #8404 on: March 05, 2018, 09:03:58 am »
My BMW X3 had the SES light on with a leaking CCV (oil separator) once, think it was in its 9th year of ownership at 260k. Nothing else was affected but it was a pricey fix.

The E90 325i never had its SES light on.

Despite all the mileage on the BMWs, I've never had the O² sensors replaced nor needed it.
ø cons: Peugeot 308: Yamaha R3 [/URL]

Offline valuator

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +36/-115
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 Pilot TrailSport, 2015 Outback 3.6R, 2012 BMW 128i
« Reply #8405 on: March 05, 2018, 09:53:45 am »
Facking tired of vehicle shopping....was interested in a nice pre-owned Pilot the other day, offered $2k below window price and thought that was fair.  No deal.  Couple of days later I see them advertising a new ask (my old bid), so I call up and say I'll take it.  Too bad, already sold.   :banghead:

Offline ChaosphereIX

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +187/-377
  • Wont run with the pack
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Jaguar XJR-L
« Reply #8406 on: March 05, 2018, 11:24:49 am »
Facking tired of vehicle shopping....was interested in a nice pre-owned Pilot the other day, offered $2k below window price and thought that was fair.  No deal.  Couple of days later I see them advertising a new ask (my old bid), so I call up and say I'll take it.  Too bad, already sold.   :banghead:

did you not tell them that if they ever get to your number, you would buy it immediately? Seems you would be the first call...or perhaps they had promised the car to another [employee family etc.] and thus you got the cold shoulder. Happened a few times when I was in the biz.
If driving an Alfa does not restore vitality to your soul, then just pass the hospital and park at the morgue to save everyone time.

Now drives a Jaaaaaaag...and thus will not pay for anything during an outing...but it is OK, because....I drive a Jaaaaaag.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #8407 on: March 05, 2018, 07:57:22 pm »
Uh oh! Problem with the LS at 247k!

Had the Check Engine light come on. For good measure, it tripped the VSC warning too.

Ran the code...catalytic converter efficiency for bank 2 is off.

There's either a small exhaust leak..or a bad O2 sensor IMO.

Reset the CEL.  Drove the crap out of the car....no CEL.  And the waveforms on the O2 sensors logging doesn't look like they, or the cat is bad.

Wonder if this was just an anomaly?

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #8408 on: March 05, 2018, 10:04:08 pm »
the van was in to switch and balance new winter tires 2 weeks ago.  Since then there’s a small humming sound and some vibration on the front left I think.  The sound and vibration is also there at low speed(60k) and more obvious at higher speed. I’m hoping it’s just one of the wheel is slightly off balance.

Unless you had a slight alignment issue (in the back...harder to tell) and the back tire has uneven wear and is now on the front...

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #8409 on: March 05, 2018, 10:31:53 pm »

Wonder if this was just an anomaly?

Did you have a "false start?"  Sometimes if you crank, but it hesitates, then starts, it will throw a CEL for a bad cat or O2 sensor.  It's not common, but happens.  I've heard of a few other Toyota owners, myself included, that have had it happen.

Offline jamie1

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +22/-20
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Acura TSX, 2014 Jeep Cherokee Limited ADI,2007 Mazda MX-5 Miata PRHT GT
« Reply #8410 on: March 09, 2018, 08:35:56 pm »
Got my wheels back from being powder coated. Went with a matte bronze. I think they go really nice with colour of MX-5
Enjoying the Alberta advantage

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +245/-468
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Hyundai Entourage, 2007 Buick Lucerne
« Reply #8411 on: March 09, 2018, 09:10:21 pm »
Got my wheels back from being powder coated. Went with a matte bronze. I think they go really nice with colour of MX-5

Is that OEM size tire & rim?

They look good, not sure if its the picture, but the gap in the wheel well looks larger than I remember. 

Offline jamie1

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Acura TSX, 2014 Jeep Cherokee Limited ADI,2007 Mazda MX-5 Miata PRHT GT
« Reply #8412 on: March 09, 2018, 10:01:59 pm »

They look good, not sure if its the picture, but the gap in the wheel well looks larger than I remember.
Yes it is the OE rim and size tire. Gap is large because it was on jack stands and it hasn't settled yet.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #8413 on: March 09, 2018, 10:49:06 pm »
I'm a total sucker for that colour.

The wheels on IQs car are "bronze flat".

Nice!  Very nice!

Offline jamie1

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #8414 on: March 09, 2018, 11:30:25 pm »
the van was in to switch and balance new winter tires 2 weeks ago.  Since then there’s a small humming sound and some vibration on the front left I think.  The sound and vibration is also there at low speed(60k) and more obvious at higher speed. I’m hoping it’s just one of the wheel is slightly off balance.

Unless you had a slight alignment issue (in the back...harder to tell) and the back tire has uneven wear and is now on the front...
No the tires got replaces with new ones.  Well almost new, I bought them at 10/32 or like 80%.  I know the reviews on the blizzak WS80 says there's humming sound on the tires but the sound is uneven and it's weird that I notice at 60k.  At 90K it's more pronounced and at 120+ there's an obvious vibration felt through the steering wheel.  I'm hoping it's not something like the bearing starting to go(or something else).  if so I'll order parts from rock auto.  I just don't want to do mechanic as my garage is so filthy.  That  snow wont stop.

Update:  Well turns out the rims is bent a bit.  Just enough to be annoying.  they put the rim in the back and a good one in front.  I should buy a new one before next rotation
Most bent rims can be repaired. A lot cheaper than replacing with new.

Offline Bubba

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +382/-442
  • Vice President, Autos.ca Arizona Operations
    • View Profile
    • My photo site
  • Cars: 2013 Toyota Corolla LE
« Reply #8415 on: March 10, 2018, 12:21:39 am »

Yes it is the OE rim and size tire. Gap is large because it was on jack stands and it hasn't settled yet.

Put me in the driver's seat and it'll settle.   :o

The wheels look great!
My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government. - Thomas Jefferson

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #8416 on: March 10, 2018, 01:50:59 am »

No the tires got replaces with new ones.  Well almost new, I bought them at 10/32 or like 80%.  I know the reviews on the blizzak WS80 says there's humming sound on the tires but the sound is uneven and it's weird that I notice at 60k.  At 90K it's more pronounced and at 120+ there's an obvious vibration felt through the steering wheel.  I'm hoping it's not something like the bearing starting to go(or something else).  if so I'll order parts from rock auto.  I just don't want to do mechanic as my garage is so filthy.  That  snow wont stop.

Update:  Well turns out the rims is bent a bit.  Just enough to be annoying.  they put the rim in the back and a good one in front.  I should buy a new one before next rotation
Most bent rims can be repaired. A lot cheaper than replacing with new.
I'm having a difficult time finding someone to repair a ding in IQs wheel...slight pothole hit is my guess. It holds air and isn't really noticeable. Like you, I love bronze!

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #8417 on: March 10, 2018, 02:13:28 am »
As is the custom at our place, with spring approaching, we order a ton of car stuff in preparation.

LS has 4 new rotors and pads on the way. Also Amsoil complete oil change, and swaybar links all around.

IS300 had the power steering pump replaced last year, but it's still whining and hard(ish) to turn. So I guess it's the rack. Ordered a new rack, pump (warranty) and tie rod ends. Her windshield washer fluid button on stalk is a bit sticky, so I ordered a new stalk. When changing the bulbs in her license plate lights, one of the housings was corroded at the plug, so I have a pair of those housings coming. I did a fluid replacement in the manual tranny last year in which I swapped out the 5 year old Royal Purple with Amsoil. She's not been happy with the Amsoil and said the RP was better. BGs new (and expensive! ) Synchro Shift II is apparently even smoother than RP, so I bought some of that (fingers crossed! ).

And finally, her car needs new tires for her summer wheels. Have decided on the new(ish) Pirelli P Zero All Season Plus based on the excellent test results in the Ultra High Performance All Season comparo at Tire Rack.

Offline Firm

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +232/-1072
  • Urban Hick
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 XKR, 2007 DTS, 2006 Escalade, 2000 Sonoma ZQ8,1996 Firebird, 1996 Firebird Formula, 1985 Trans Am, 1984 Camaro, 1978 MGB x2
« Reply #8418 on: March 10, 2018, 06:25:22 pm »
Jamie, the color on those rims looks great, perfect compliment to the car's color.

RR, nice list. I love those first spring days when you can take care of all those annoying little things.

Offline mlin32

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +65/-419
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Peugeot 308 GT; 2015 Yamaha YZF-R3
« Reply #8419 on: March 11, 2018, 05:25:57 pm »
Since the Pol---err I mean Skoda Fabia is now past its 1500 run-in period, I have no hesitation flooring the loud pedal.

But above urban speeds, that's all it really is......it raises the volume of the engine. Floor it at 130 to get into the overtaking lane on the autoroute, and the volume increases, but not so much the velocity.  :(

At least it sounds cool.