Author Topic: What did you do to your car today?  (Read 3012944 times)

Offline Bubba

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +382/-442
  • Vice President, Autos.ca Arizona Operations
    • View Profile
    • My photo site
  • Cars: 2013 Toyota Corolla LE
Re: What did you do to your car today?
« Reply #8200 on: January 11, 2018, 08:37:40 pm »
Had the car washed.
My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government. - Thomas Jefferson

Offline ChaosphereIX

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +187/-377
  • Wont run with the pack
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Jaguar XJR-L
« Reply #8201 on: January 11, 2018, 09:02:01 pm »
booked an inspection to sell the Mirage

conundrum: it is worth $500, need to do inspection to sell it. Inspection costs $60. There might be work that needs to be done. If work is more than the car is worth...guess I just sell it for scrap?

Funny when a brake job costs more than what the entire car is worth
If driving an Alfa does not restore vitality to your soul, then just pass the hospital and park at the morgue to save everyone time.

Now drives a Jaaaaaaag...and thus will not pay for anything during an outing...but it is OK, because....I drive a Jaaaaaag.

Offline Davep

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +15/-14
    • View Profile
  • Cars: first car - 1965 Hillman Super Minx!!!
« Reply #8202 on: January 12, 2018, 08:17:37 am »
Nice mild day yesterday and changed the oil and filter. I use AmsOil Signature series 5W-30 with WIX filter. This car has had AmsOil in the engine and 5W-30 Synchromesh in the trans since new.

Offline Angry Chicken

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +131/-157
  • Don't get Clucky Angry!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: drei Deutsche
« Reply #8203 on: January 12, 2018, 02:44:20 pm »

conundrum: it is worth $500, need to do inspection to sell it. Inspection costs $60. There might be work that needs to be done. If work is more than the car is worth...guess I just sell it for scrap?

Stating the obvious....If you hold on the car long enough that kind of “repair price : total car price” ratio becomes more extreme. What price safety, though?

Offline blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +244/-779
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
  • Cars: and bikes by age:BMW, Porsche, Subaru, Suzuki, Suzuki, Mazda, Jaguar, Kawasaki, Porsche, GMC, Suzuki
« Reply #8204 on: January 12, 2018, 04:11:37 pm »

Why do you need an inspection to  sell it?

As is still exists
Mr Pickypants

Offline Gurgie

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-518
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Honda Passport Touring
« Reply #8205 on: January 12, 2018, 04:22:47 pm »
Put the roof box on just now, before the ice pellets & flash freeze get too bad!

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

You live everyday. You only die once....

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +289/-389
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 12 Mazda 5 GT 6MT
« Reply #8206 on: January 12, 2018, 05:01:05 pm »
Nice mild day yesterday and changed the oil and filter. I use AmsOil Signature series 5W-30 with WIX filter. This car has had AmsOil in the engine and 5W-30 Synchromesh in the trans since new.

Why didn't you use a Signature Series oil filter to get 25,000km/12 months out of it?

Offline Davep

• Auto Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #8207 on: January 13, 2018, 12:03:07 am »

Why didn't you use a Signature Series oil filter to get 25,000km/12 months out of it?

The oil was 10 months old, and the oil life monitor was down to 16%. I'm not sure if oil life data is stored in the ECU or not, and as long as the car is under warranty, I'd rather play it safe.

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #8208 on: January 13, 2018, 12:06:53 am »
I keep lengthening the intervals on the Highlander and having oil analysis done, and the Amsoil Signature and 25K (15K-mile) filters seem to be the real deal.  While I've long been a loyal Amsoil customer, I was skeptical.  Call me impressed.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7213
    • View Profile
« Reply #8209 on: January 13, 2018, 12:23:06 am »

The oil was 10 months old, and the oil life monitor was down to 16%. I'm not sure if oil life data is stored in the ECU or not, and as long as the car is under warranty, I'd rather play it safe.
If you're using the OEM oil monitor/intervals, the Amsoil OE line of oil is great!
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline Davep

• Auto Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #8210 on: January 13, 2018, 12:29:46 am »
I've been using AmsOil on and off since the early eighties as suppliers come and go. When I couldn't get AmsOil, I'd sub Mobile One, but that was also hard to find in those days.

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +289/-389
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 12 Mazda 5 GT 6MT
What did you do to your car today?
« Reply #8211 on: January 13, 2018, 12:45:06 am »
I meant with the signature series filter and oil, you can go 25k km.

I see Amsoil is offering free shipping with $130 purchase for preferred customers now. I need to get stuff.

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #8212 on: January 13, 2018, 12:49:14 am »
Honda factory race bikes were using Mobil 1 synthetic oil back in the 70s and the difference in it's ability to withstand the horrendous heat developed by air cooled race engines was nothing short of amazing compared to regular oil.  But, it was expensive exotic stuff.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #8213 on: January 13, 2018, 12:49:49 am »
I've been using AmsOil on and off since the early eighties as suppliers come and go. When I couldn't get AmsOil, I'd sub Mobile One, but that was also hard to find in those days.
Dave,

I'm a supplier.

PM me if you need anything.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #8214 on: January 13, 2018, 12:50:51 am »
I meant with the signature series filter and oil, you can go 25k km.

I see Amsoil is offering free shipping with $130 purchase for preferred customers now. I need to get stuff.
Oh for sure.

But if he's just going to use Wix with OEM change interval, the OE line is the way to go.

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #8215 on: January 13, 2018, 01:18:34 am »
Yup - we still change the oil in the Forester as per OE specs, so we use the Wix filter and the Amsoil-OE oil.

Offline ChaosphereIX

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +187/-377
  • Wont run with the pack
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Jaguar XJR-L
« Reply #8216 on: January 13, 2018, 01:24:30 am »

As is still exists

an inspection is required to register it in Australia as a new owner, but yes, the seller has no obligation to get an inspection to sell it

I don't need to do it. But am selling to a close friend and she asked that it get done. Inspection is $60. She is paying half.

Offline blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +244/-779
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
  • Cars: and bikes by age:BMW, Porsche, Subaru, Suzuki, Suzuki, Mazda, Jaguar, Kawasaki, Porsche, GMC, Suzuki
« Reply #8217 on: January 13, 2018, 11:16:20 am »

As is still exists

an inspection is required to register it in Australia as a new owner, but yes, the seller has no obligation to get an inspection to sell it

I don't need to do it. But am selling to a close friend and she asked that it get done. Inspection is $60. She is paying half.

Ahh, thought it was for an Ontario inspection, which has gotten crazily tough since you left.

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +245/-468
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Hyundai Entourage, 2007 Buick Lucerne
« Reply #8218 on: January 13, 2018, 11:23:19 am »

As is still exists

Ahh, thought it was for an Ontario inspection, which has gotten crazily tough since you left.

Less beaters on the road the better.  Should be mandatory every 2 years after the vehicle is 5 years old. 

Offline BWII

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +188/-376
    • View Profile
« Reply #8219 on: January 13, 2018, 12:15:37 pm »
Put the truck battery on the charger...last weekend the Fusion, now the truck.   ::)  Maybe it's the short trips for my wife.  Car seemed find all week driving it to work everyday, but my haul is longer.  Still, both are in a garage all night, and yet the Sonic which is the halfway point between the two in age, fires up outside, -27, plugged in, like WTF? Is it cold out here? Fusion runs on high idle almost 5 minutes in the garage in the AM...