Author Topic: What did you do to your car today?  (Read 3013098 times)

Offline 84im

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +24/-81
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 BMW X1, 2003 Chevy Tracker, 1974 VW Dune Buggy, and 1974 VW Thing
Re: What did you do to your car today?
« Reply #8180 on: January 10, 2018, 08:01:02 pm »
Oh, here we go.  Yup, teachers have the easiest job in the world.  Huge pay, barely have to go there, little effort.  Yup.  My contract stipulated 1400 minutes of instructional time per week.  So, that only 23 1/3 hours a week.  Then there's 6 2/3 hours of "assignable time."  So, only 30 hours a week!  Score!!  What a great job.

Studies show teachers work on average the same number of hours (approx 2000) per year as similarly employed people.  Seems that there's a lot of work that takes place outside of the actual time in the classroom.  Huh.

No one is denying that they work similar hours per hour as others.  Just not many employers give the 2 weeks at Christmas, March break, Easter Break, July & August, plus any other civic and stat holidays!

My kids schools added a fall break in October for a week too.  ;D

Not denying teaching doesn't suck (raising kids)  but they don't work harder than any other working stiff... Lots of vacay is the tradeoff for dealing with the minions. My next door neighbor is a teacher. When I start work he is still at home and when I get back from work his driveway is shovelled and he is home...

Like any profession there are those who work hard and those who don't.  Over my 35 years of teaching I've worked with a lot of teachers and very few of them were slackers.

This was my teaching schedule, which varied very little over my 35 year career:

I arrived at school at 7:15 am  and left at 5:30 pm.  During the day I took two breaks: 15 minutes for recess and 15 minutes for lunch.  Lunch was 40 minutes, but I supervised in the gym every day for 25 minutes.
I also usually put in an hour of marking after dinner.
A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kickboxing.

Offline CanuckS2K

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +398/-316
    • View Profile
    • Prestige Auto Detail
  • Cars: 1991 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 2005 Honda S2000, 2014 Infiniti Q50S, 2017 Ford F-150 Lariat
« Reply #8181 on: January 10, 2018, 08:09:35 pm »

I have absolutely no doubt that Teaching isn't easy.  No way in hell would I want to do it, nor could I do it. 

I suspect you could teach a brewing class?   :rofl:

I'm actually putting on a brewing/hop seminar on the 21st.   ;D

Owner - Prestige Auto Detailing & Hammond River Brewing

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7213
    • View Profile
« Reply #8182 on: January 10, 2018, 08:11:47 pm »
Oh, here we go.  Yup, teachers have the easiest job in the world.  Huge pay, barely have to go there, little effort.  Yup.  My contract stipulated 1400 minutes of instructional time per week.  So, that only 23 1/3 hours a week.  Then there's 6 2/3 hours of "assignable time."  So, only 30 hours a week!  Score!!  What a great job.

Studies show teachers work on average the same number of hours (approx 2000) per year as similarly employed people.  Seems that there's a lot of work that takes place outside of the actual time in the classroom.  Huh.

No one is denying that they work similar hours per hour as others.  Just not many employers give the 2 weeks at Christmas, March break, Easter Break, July & August, plus any other civic and stat holidays!

Not denying teaching doesn't suck (raising kids)  but they don't work harder than any other working stiff... Lots of vacay is the tradeoff for dealing with the minions. My next door neighbor is a teacher. When I start work he is still at home and when I get back from work his driveway is shovelled and he is home...

Like any profession there are those who work hard and those who don't.  Over my 35 years of teaching I've worked with a lot of teachers and very few of them were slackers.

I arrived at school at 7:15 am  and left at 5:30 pm.  During the day I took two breaks: 15 minutes for recess and 15 minutes for lunch.  Lunch was 40 minutes, but I supervised in the gym every day for 25 minutes.

^^Sure isn't like that anymore it seems.  Hours anyways.  We'd get to the school at 4-4:30 (GS or HS) and the teachers parking lots is a ghost town.

Also, your dedication to extra curricular stuff...not many people do that stuff here anymore.  Good on ya.

I too think that teacher's from "back in the day" were more dedicated.  I also remember many, many teacher's being around school for quite awhile after it was done.  Now?  Not so much.
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline CanuckS2K

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +398/-316
    • View Profile
    • Prestige Auto Detail
  • Cars: 1991 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 2005 Honda S2000, 2014 Infiniti Q50S, 2017 Ford F-150 Lariat
« Reply #8183 on: January 10, 2018, 08:15:34 pm »

Your schedule sounds like a lot of folks though.......and certainly no disrespect whatsoever meant.  I'm consistently putting in 70+ hours a week myself, and my wife leaves for work at 6:45am and doesn't get home until 6:10 (although she works four days a week)  I'm sure if you if average out your work day with the summer break and all of the holidays, it would work out to a less than average work day.  Still not saying the job is easy though, that's for sure.

And on a side note, just saw a pic of your garage.........damn!!!   :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Offline tenpenny

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +137/-305
    • View Profile
« Reply #8184 on: January 10, 2018, 08:35:32 pm »
I don’t doubt that teachers work as much as many other people.

I’m tired of the us vs them mentality.  Some teachers are lazy.  Some are alcoholics.  Some are sexual predators.  Guess what?  That applies to every field. 

If you don’t like your pay/hours/workload, then CHANGE YOUR GODDAM JOB. stop being jealous of something you have not experienced.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
My diesel car self-identifies as an electric vehicle.

Offline ChaosphereIX

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +187/-377
  • Wont run with the pack
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Jaguar XJR-L
« Reply #8185 on: January 10, 2018, 08:38:50 pm »
working in a university, especially as a young academic, is akin to slave-wage labour - a race to the bottom and we are working for pennies

why the hell did I get into this profession?
If driving an Alfa does not restore vitality to your soul, then just pass the hospital and park at the morgue to save everyone time.

Now drives a Jaaaaaaag...and thus will not pay for anything during an outing...but it is OK, because....I drive a Jaaaaaag.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #8186 on: January 10, 2018, 08:48:48 pm »
working in a university, especially as a young academic, is akin to slave-wage labour - a race to the bottom and we are working for pennies

So that you could buy a Tiny House?

Offline ChaosphereIX

• Car Crazy
  • Wont run with the pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #8187 on: January 10, 2018, 08:54:52 pm »

that is the eventual idea, certainly cant afford a regular house as a contract lecturer

Offline tortoise

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +236/-453
    • View Profile
« Reply #8188 on: January 10, 2018, 10:16:59 pm »

I laughed.

My wife teaches grade 1 and taught kindergarten. I wouldn't do that job for a doctor's salary.
Only the slow and dim know where they're going in life, and seldom is it worth the trip. - Tom Robbins.

Offline carcrazed

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +39/-88
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Forester Touring; 2009 Civic EX-L
« Reply #8189 on: January 10, 2018, 10:28:15 pm »
It's not like license plate bulbs are my top priority
Can't the :popo: give you a ticket if it is out  ???

Yeah, they probably can if they notice. But there are two bulbs, and only one actually burnt out.

Another thing I thought was interesting is that people apparently “upgrade” their license plate bulbs to LED. Who the hell cares? Especially since you need to buy a $50 kit, or else the display will show a permanent “bulb out” warning.

MDX won't throw out that kind of warning light for changing the regular licence plate bulb to LEDs without using any kits.   

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #8190 on: January 10, 2018, 10:39:52 pm »
It's not like license plate bulbs are my top priority
Can't the :popo: give you a ticket if it is out  ???

Yeah, they probably can if they notice. But there are two bulbs, and only one actually burnt out.

Another thing I thought was interesting is that people apparently “upgrade” their license plate bulbs to LED. Who the hell cares? Especially since you need to buy a $50 kit, or else the display will show a permanent “bulb out” warning.

MDX won't throw out that kind of warning light for changing the regular licence plate bulb to LEDs without using any kits.

LS430 throws no warning.

Most quality bulbs won't have this issue.

Offline carcrazed

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +39/-88
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Forester Touring; 2009 Civic EX-L
« Reply #8191 on: January 10, 2018, 10:51:18 pm »
My brother is a HS teacher in Ontario. He works long hours and still works tutoring jobs after work and weekends. Then there's marking and answering questions from his students by instant messaging.  I can't imagine myself doing that on a daily basis.  I usually just shut myself down as soon as I walk out the office door at 4:15pm. 

Offline Firm

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +232/-1072
  • Urban Hick
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 XKR, 2007 DTS, 2006 Escalade, 2000 Sonoma ZQ8,1996 Firebird, 1996 Firebird Formula, 1985 Trans Am, 1984 Camaro, 1978 MGB x2
« Reply #8192 on: January 10, 2018, 10:54:58 pm »

I took the afternoon off to take care of some errands

When I left industry and started teaching, one thing I found frustrating was my complete lack of flexibility.  I'd really grown used to setting my own schedule.  I am wondering why you have a dead body in a burlap bag "disguised" as a Christmas decoration in your yard...    :rofl2:

Yeah, my job is pretty good for flexibility. However, when there's important meetings to attend, I need to be there, and it seems those are becoming more and more frequent...w/e, it is what it is. I won't complain.

The dead body is one of those spiral cut cedar trees...The price of the spiral jobs is stupid (I got this one on clearance) so I want to protect it from getting wind burnt during the winter, hence the burlap. The lights....well, I had to decorate something  :rofl2:

Offline KD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +359/-263
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Frontier Pro-4X, 2013 Lexus GS-350
« Reply #8193 on: January 11, 2018, 06:03:34 am »
Another thread completely off the rails...lol.

Offline ChaosphereIX

• Car Crazy
  • Wont run with the pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #8194 on: January 11, 2018, 06:53:27 am »
Another thread completely off the rails...lol.
yep, soon we will be debating the perfect thickness of wiring looms or best steering wheel colour...in the vacation thread

Offline tooscoops

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +325/-227
  • "stealership" employee
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '75 AMC Pacer, '70 Morgan 4/4, '21 Pacifica Hybrid, '21 Wrangler Rubicon
« Reply #8195 on: January 11, 2018, 05:51:26 pm »
all threads get to houses, jobs and finances it seems....

anyway, my car thing is that i just ordered a new antenna. someone snapped mine off. ordered a couple days ago actually, but didn't really think about it until i couldn't get many radio stations this morning... that's my time to catch up on the news. oh well, more ipod time.
i used to be addicted to soap, but i'm clean now

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #8196 on: January 11, 2018, 05:52:05 pm »
all threads get to houses, jobs and finances it seems....

anyway, my car thing is that i just ordered a new antenna. someone snapped mine off. ordered a couple days ago actually, but didn't really think about it until i couldn't get many radio stations this morning... that's my time to catch up on the news. oh well, more ipod time.

Did you get a rugged, rubberized one?

Offline tooscoops

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +325/-227
  • "stealership" employee
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '75 AMC Pacer, '70 Morgan 4/4, '21 Pacifica Hybrid, '21 Wrangler Rubicon
« Reply #8197 on: January 11, 2018, 05:59:52 pm »
it's what i had... luckily when someone snapped it, they didn't seem to damage anything else...

i went total douche and got a red 14" metal one. i find they go on nicer/more flush and don't "hold" a position too much. so many of the rubber ones i see are permanently on a 10 degree angle.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #8198 on: January 11, 2018, 06:12:18 pm »
it's what i had... luckily when someone snapped it, they didn't seem to damage anything else...

i went total douche and got a red 14" metal one. i find they go on nicer/more flush and don't "hold" a position too much. so many of the rubber ones i see are permanently on a 10 degree angle.

The amplified stubby ones are awesome BTW.

Had one on my Supra, and put on on IQ's car.  They are rubber, about 8".  And better than factory reception wise.  And they don't sag!

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +289/-389
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 12 Mazda 5 GT 6MT
« Reply #8199 on: January 11, 2018, 06:22:07 pm »
I put a Dodge Journey antenna on my old Mazda 5, it was pretty slick. The stock antenna was like 20+" long vs. 7" for the Journey antenna.