Author Topic: What did you do to your car today?  (Read 3013047 times)

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
Re: What did you do to your car today?
« Reply #8160 on: January 10, 2018, 05:20:01 pm »
I know the value proposition of a used 2-3 year old Honda/Toyota used to never be great, but in the Honda's case the vehicle has 70,000km and is priced at 54% of a new one according to my Car Cost Canada report. Seems like a good deal to me, since I should easily get 8-10 years out of the vehicle either way given my low annual mileage.

That van has at least 200K of trouble free driving, probably more like 300K left.  For most people, it will handily go another 10 years.  My Highlander is now coming on 14 years year old and has over 300K and is still a solid reliable vehicle.  Buying a good brand upfront is worth it.  And at 54% of the new price, that van is a great buy, even if you could in theory buy some new cheap van for the same price.  I'd rather have the three year old Honda 100 times out of 100.  You might be able to find a slightly better deal if you look for one that's just out of warranty, as prices for those tend to fall a bit, but why bother if you're comfortable at that price and like the van?

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #8161 on: January 10, 2018, 05:22:29 pm »

I took the afternoon off to take care of some errands

When I left industry and started teaching, one thing I found frustrating was my complete lack of flexibility.  I'd really grown used to setting my own schedule.  I am wondering why you have a dead body in a burlap bag "disguised" as a Christmas decoration in your yard...    :rofl2:

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +245/-468
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Hyundai Entourage, 2007 Buick Lucerne
« Reply #8162 on: January 10, 2018, 06:37:59 pm »

I took the afternoon off to take care of some errands

When I left industry and started teaching, one thing I found frustrating was my complete lack of flexibility.  I'd really grown used to setting my own schedule.  I am wondering why you have a dead body in a burlap bag "disguised" as a Christmas decoration in your yard...    :rofl2:

What teachers lack in flexibility, they more the make up in vacation time....

Firm, the neighbours must think your a weirdo!  Always a different car, always working on cars, cleaning in the rain!

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +255/-771
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 BMW 328i Touring, 1998 Jaguar XJR, 2024 Mini Cooper S
« Reply #8163 on: January 10, 2018, 06:39:02 pm »

Sort of. But it means they can only vacation at peak times which is super annoying.

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +117/-442
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Land Rover LR4, Honda Ridgeline, Husqvarna FE501
« Reply #8164 on: January 10, 2018, 06:47:41 pm »

Sort of. But it means they can only vacation at peak times which is super annoying.

Yeah those 12 weeks of vacation are a real bugger lol.

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #8165 on: January 10, 2018, 06:58:47 pm »

I really feel for them. 

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7213
    • View Profile
« Reply #8166 on: January 10, 2018, 07:01:03 pm »

Plus (In Ontario) they are only obligated to work ~25 hours per week per the collective agreement.
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #8167 on: January 10, 2018, 07:04:33 pm »
Oh, here we go.  Yup, teachers have the easiest job in the world.  Huge pay, barely have to go there, little effort.  Yup.  My contract stipulated 1400 minutes of instructional time per week.  So, that only 23 1/3 hours a week.  Then there's 6 2/3 hours of "assignable time."  So, only 30 hours a week!  Score!!  What a great job.

Studies show teachers work on average the same number of hours (approx 2000) per year as similarly employed people.  Seems that there's a lot of work that takes place outside of the actual time in the classroom.  Huh.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #8168 on: January 10, 2018, 07:08:32 pm »
Oh, here we go.  Yup, teachers have the easiest job in the world.  Huge pay, barely have to go there, little effort.  Yup.  My contract stipulated 1400 minutes of instructional time per week.  So, that only 23 1/3 hours a week.  Then there's 6 2/3 hours of "assignable time."  So, only 30 hours a week!  Score!!  What a great job.

Plus all the days off, the sick days, the summer off, xmas break, zero accountability, great pension plan etc. etc....Yea, it's a pretty cush job.  Cry me a river.  And I used to teach at the college level.

Seems that there's a lot of work that takes place outside of the actual time in the classroom.  Huh.

Which isn't the least bit different from a great many jobs...or even people on this forum.  Lots of work is done outside of the workplace.

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #8169 on: January 10, 2018, 07:09:32 pm »

Studies show teachers work on average the same number of hours (approx 2000) per year as similarly employed people.  Seems that there's a lot of work that takes place outside of the actual time in the classroom.  Huh.

No one is denying that they work similar hours per hour as others.  Just not many employers give the 2 weeks at Christmas, March break, Easter Break, July & August, plus any other civic and stat holidays!

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #8170 on: January 10, 2018, 07:09:50 pm »

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +117/-442
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Land Rover LR4, Honda Ridgeline, Husqvarna FE501
« Reply #8171 on: January 10, 2018, 07:18:07 pm »

No one is denying that they work similar hours per hour as others.  Just not many employers give the 2 weeks at Christmas, March break, Easter Break, July & August, plus any other civic and stat holidays!

My kids schools added a fall break in October for a week too.  ;D

Not denying teaching doesn't suck (raising kids)  but they don't work harder than any other working stiff... Lots of vacay is the tradeoff for dealing with the minions. My next door neighbor is a teacher. When I start work he is still at home and when I get back from work his driveway is shovelled and he is home...

Offline 84im

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +24/-81
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 BMW X1, 2003 Chevy Tracker, 1974 VW Dune Buggy, and 1974 VW Thing
« Reply #8172 on: January 10, 2018, 07:33:34 pm »
Having taught in B.C. for 35 years I was going to write a lengthy defense, but it just isn't worth the effort.
The haters (rrocket) are going to hate....regardless  They just can't help themselves.

Some countries hold teachers in high esteem (i.e. Finland) because they think the job they do is an important one.

A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kickboxing.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #8173 on: January 10, 2018, 07:37:45 pm »
Having taught in B.C. for 35 years I was going to write a lengthy defense, but it just isn't worth the effort.
The haters (rrocket) are going to hate....regardless  They just can't help themselves.

Some countries hold teachers in high esteem (i.e. Finland) because they think the job they do is an important one.

I taught College for a decade.  Clearly I'm not a hater.

Just a hater of the narrative that it's a hard job, with terrible conditions, poor pay, etc etc, etc.

Oh...and this hater crossed the picket line because I was more concerned about my students not losing a year than I was with getting a raise.

« Last Edit: January 10, 2018, 07:39:31 pm by rrocket »

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-6812
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #8174 on: January 10, 2018, 07:45:38 pm »
The public school system has always acted as a day time care facility for minors.  In the old economy it was tolerated, but today is another story.  Teacher remuneration (wages and benefits/pensions) are completely of whack with outcomes.  When will it end  ???  When public service spending finally crushes the economy and that time is soon.   

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #8175 on: January 10, 2018, 07:50:23 pm »

I taught College for a decade.  Clearly I'm not a hater.

I taught university as well.  Way easier than when I taught high school.  Not kidding, not in the slightest.

One of the reasons I'm so happy that my daughter isn't pursuing a teaching career is she won't be the subject of the public's scorn for a job that carries a lot of responsibility and importance.

And I agree with Steve that our education system is still following an outdated factory model that needs a complete revamp, but that revamp needs the system to look more like Finland and other highly progressive countries, not some won't-work el-cheapo model that plunks kids in front of screens.  And that systemic redo will be expensive.  And no one wants to pay.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #8176 on: January 10, 2018, 07:53:46 pm »

I taught university as well.  Way easier than when I taught high school.  Not kidding, not in the slightest.

Having spoken to friends that taught primary and HS, they thought the BS I had to go through at College was more difficult due to the very high technical nature of the class.   

Personally, I think pre-school or kindergarten would be just the worst ever.  But that's just me.   ;D

Offline CanuckS2K

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +398/-316
    • View Profile
    • Prestige Auto Detail
  • Cars: 1991 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 2005 Honda S2000, 2014 Infiniti Q50S, 2017 Ford F-150 Lariat
« Reply #8177 on: January 10, 2018, 07:54:14 pm »

And don't forget storms days too.   ;D

I have absolutely no doubt that Teaching isn't easy.  No way in hell would I want to do it, nor could I do it.  Kudos to those that do, and it's obviously a very important role in society.  Is it harder than other jobs out there?  I suspect not so much.  There are lots of very difficult and high skilled professions out there, ones that require countless hours every week.  Doctors comes to mind.   
Owner - Prestige Auto Detailing & Hammond River Brewing

Offline CanuckS2K

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +398/-316
    • View Profile
    • Prestige Auto Detail
  • Cars: 1991 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 2005 Honda S2000, 2014 Infiniti Q50S, 2017 Ford F-150 Lariat
« Reply #8178 on: January 10, 2018, 07:55:08 pm »

Having spoken to friends that taught primary and HS, they thought the BS I had to go through at College was more difficult due to the very high technical nature of the class.   

Personally, I think pre-school or kindergarten would be just the worst ever.  But that's just me.   ;D

Hell yeah, definitely not just you.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #8179 on: January 10, 2018, 07:58:27 pm »

I have absolutely no doubt that Teaching isn't easy.  No way in hell would I want to do it, nor could I do it. 

I suspect you could teach a brewing class?   :rofl:

Let's wait and see if anyone chimes in that teaching is harder than running a brewery.   ;D