Author Topic: What did you do to your car today?  (Read 3013066 times)

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
Re: What did you do to your car today?
« Reply #8140 on: January 09, 2018, 07:19:20 pm »
It's not like license plate bulbs are my top priority
Can't the :popo: give you a ticket if it is out  ???

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #8141 on: January 09, 2018, 07:19:48 pm »
Sienna Limited AWD is awesome.  Those second row chairs are FIRST CLASS!!  We often fight about who gets to ride in the back.  (A friend of mine has one and we sometimes take it on ski trips)

That the trim with the ottoman on the seats?  Thought those were cool too.  Till I realized, kids don't really use them...

Yeah, those second row seats are like lazy-boy chairs - amazing.

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +245/-468
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Hyundai Entourage, 2007 Buick Lucerne
« Reply #8142 on: January 09, 2018, 07:25:59 pm »
Sienna Limited AWD is awesome.  Those second row chairs are FIRST CLASS!!  We often fight about who gets to ride in the back.  (A friend of mine has one and we sometimes take it on ski trips)

That the trim with the ottoman on the seats?  Thought those were cool too.  Till I realized, kids don't really use them...

Yeah, those second row seats are like lazy-boy chairs - amazing.

Wish some bigger SUV's had them. 

Offline HeliDriver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +176/-235
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Crosstrek Sport 6MT; 2011 Yukon XL 2500
« Reply #8143 on: January 09, 2018, 07:44:32 pm »
It's not like license plate bulbs are my top priority
Can't the :popo: give you a ticket if it is out  ???

Yeah, they probably can if they notice. But there are two bulbs, and only one actually burnt out.

Another thing I thought was interesting is that people apparently “upgrade” their license plate bulbs to LED. Who the hell cares? Especially since you need to buy a $50 kit, or else the display will show a permanent “bulb out” warning.

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +255/-771
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 BMW 328i Touring, 1998 Jaguar XJR, 2024 Mini Cooper S
« Reply #8144 on: January 09, 2018, 07:50:10 pm »
The obsession people will have with LED lights is hilarious.

People on VWvortex were up in arms when the R came here without LED tails when they were offered in Europe.  ::)

Offline Angry Chicken

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +131/-157
  • Don't get Clucky Angry!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: drei Deutsche
« Reply #8145 on: January 09, 2018, 08:20:57 pm »

People on VWvortex were up in arms when the R came here without LED tails when they were offered in Europe.  ::)
And now people are discovering that LEDs won’t melt the snow like incandescent bulbs do.   That is, of course, if they even notice.... i’ve seen a lot of snow covered cars the last couple of days here in Ottawa.

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +289/-389
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 12 Mazda 5 GT 6MT
« Reply #8146 on: January 09, 2018, 09:09:46 pm »
The only problem with the Sienna Limited ottoman seats is that the second row seats have to go all the way back, making the third row useless. But you have the most comfortable thing that can carry four adults and everything they would want to bring.

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #8147 on: January 09, 2018, 09:15:36 pm »
That's how we've used it on trips.  Four people with a ton of gear.  We've been able to bring two pairs of skis each (one for front side and one for touring) two pairs of boots each, bags of climbing gear, bags of clothing for each person, and on and on.  And still have room left over.  AWD means few worries about snow covered roads (the full time AWD from the Highlander, no less!) and pretty decent highway fuel economy considering how much we can carry while doing it.  I seriously considered a Sienna, but I just like to go a few extra places that the HL has just enough clearance for.  Anyone's that's been into the area around Radium/Invermere and points south knows that a Taco is really the weapon of choice, but I've got the Highlander into some pretty amazing places - just.

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +245/-468
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Hyundai Entourage, 2007 Buick Lucerne
« Reply #8148 on: January 10, 2018, 09:31:46 am »
It would be pretty cool if those seats could be taken out of the Sienna and into the Highlander.  Maybe some DIY on Youtube or a Toyota forum.  The 5000 lbs towing capacity of the Highlander! 

Offline tenpenny

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +137/-305
    • View Profile
« Reply #8149 on: January 10, 2018, 11:41:17 am »
Watched it get loaded on a flatbed, LOL.  Took my daughter's 2007 Corolla today, and after dropping younger daughter off at school, I though, jeez, not much heat coming out of this thing, and as I was going down the highway, I noticed the temp gauge was climbing.  I nursed it to the office (3 km) by coasting down hills and being gentle.  When I got to the office, the battery charging light came on.  I shut it down, obviously, and popped the hood.  Lots of antifreeze pooling in there.  I'm assuming one of the hoses blew (it's got 276,000 km on it), and that's why no heat and hot engine.  Temp gauge never quite hit the red zone, so I'm hoping no damage, and we'll see. 

At work, I suddenly remembered my CAA membership, so the trip to the garage didn't even cost me anything (5km is free, but it's 8km to the garage, and the driver said he wouldn't bother charging me the extra).

I'm very glad that it was me driving, because I doubt that anyone else in the family would have clued in until things got very ugly.  Now I'll keep my fingers crossed for the afternoon, hoping it will be simple and easy.
My diesel car self-identifies as an electric vehicle.

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #8150 on: January 10, 2018, 11:47:56 am »
If you stayed out of the max section of the gauge, odds are it's fine.  Kinda nice having a gauge, huh?

Offline tortoise

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +236/-453
    • View Profile
« Reply #8151 on: January 10, 2018, 12:06:39 pm »
Yeah, I once drove 4 hours in my P5 that was overheating.  Foolish but no issues as a result.  I'm sure you'll be fine.

If the battery light was on I am guessing a failed serpentine belt.
Only the slow and dim know where they're going in life, and seldom is it worth the trip. - Tom Robbins.

Offline tenpenny

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #8152 on: January 10, 2018, 12:17:16 pm »
I figure the belt may have been slipping due to the large quantity of antifreeze spraying around, and that's the reason for the charging light.  But that's a guess.

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #8153 on: January 10, 2018, 12:27:39 pm »
The Corolla uses a single belt that drives the AC, water pump and alternator.  The charging light was a sure sign that the belt had either failed or something was amiss - my bet is as above - the coolant caused the belt to slip.  I'm not sure about the water pumps on the 1ZZ-FE 1.8L - the later 2ZR-FE started life with a plastic-impeller pump that wasn't particularly robust and was replaced with a metal impeller model.  Pump failures are characterized usually by small coolant leaks and a whining noise, but would on rare occasions fail quite spectacularly.

My bet is a coolant hose, a rad, or failing those two things, a water pump.  None of those three are very expensive on a Corolla.

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +289/-389
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 12 Mazda 5 GT 6MT
« Reply #8154 on: January 10, 2018, 12:37:46 pm »
That's how we've used it on trips.  Four people with a ton of gear.  We've been able to bring two pairs of skis each (one for front side and one for touring) two pairs of boots each, bags of climbing gear, bags of clothing for each person, and on and on.  And still have room left over.  AWD means few worries about snow covered roads (the full time AWD from the Highlander, no less!) and pretty decent highway fuel economy considering how much we can carry while doing it.  I seriously considered a Sienna, but I just like to go a few extra places that the HL has just enough clearance for.  Anyone's that's been into the area around Radium/Invermere and points south knows that a Taco is really the weapon of choice, but I've got the Highlander into some pretty amazing places - just.

Journey's Offroad which made a lift kit for 2nd gen Siennas is looking for a test vehicle for 3rd gen. They're all the way down in Prescott AZ though. A lifted AWD Sienna would just make the ultimate all round vehicle.

http://www.siennachat.com/forum/69-mods-projects/44930-test-vehicle-3rd-gen-lift-kit-needed-prescott-az.html

Offline micha

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +11/-17
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 VW Golf R; 2019 VW Golf Sportwagen; 1998 Mercedes E320
« Reply #8155 on: January 10, 2018, 12:44:23 pm »

I guess I've been caught by the obsession as well.. I changed my tails to OEM LED tails.. Cost me over $1k for the tails, wiring harness and VagCom (to program them properly).. I think they look so much better though and don't regret it at all.

Offline tenpenny

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #8156 on: January 10, 2018, 12:56:06 pm »
The Corolla uses a single belt that drives the AC, water pump and alternator.  The charging light was a sure sign that the belt had either failed or something was amiss - my bet is as above - the coolant caused the belt to slip.  I'm not sure about the water pumps on the 1ZZ-FE 1.8L - the later 2ZR-FE started life with a plastic-impeller pump that wasn't particularly robust and was replaced with a metal impeller model.  Pump failures are characterized usually by small coolant leaks and a whining noise, but would on rare occasions fail quite spectacularly.

My bet is a coolant hose, a rad, or failing those two things, a water pump.  None of those three are very expensive on a Corolla.

Water pump it is, for the win.  Pizzing out, in the words of the mechanic.  Serpentine belt is shot, too, , and the tensioner is just about toast, so might as well do it all, and a thermostat to boot, since we bought it used and don't know that age of that. 

Oh well, the credit card bills were almost paid off, LOL.

Offline 84im

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +24/-81
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 BMW X1, 2003 Chevy Tracker, 1974 VW Dune Buggy, and 1974 VW Thing
« Reply #8157 on: January 10, 2018, 01:06:50 pm »
With a bit of planning I was able to get almost everything in the shop yesterday.  I dislike having my vehicles sit outside during the winter months.  My wife's Tracker is parked in the garage attached to the house.

« Last Edit: January 10, 2018, 07:12:21 pm by 84im »
A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kickboxing.

Offline valuator

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +36/-115
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 Pilot TrailSport, 2015 Outback 3.6R, 2012 BMW 128i
« Reply #8158 on: January 10, 2018, 03:14:05 pm »
Was impressed with the 2015 Odyssey today, I've driven a 2016 Pilot and 2015 Accord frequently, and this drove as one would expect based on experience with those vehicles.  Interior materials on the EX felt nice and seemed to be of good quality.  Test drove a new Sienna LE, wasn't impressed with the plasticky feel of everything....I know the mechanical are top notch, but boy the interior felt cheaper than the Honda.  Toyota sales guy really pushing the new vans rather than used, which was annoying. 

I know the value proposition of a used 2-3 year old Honda/Toyota used to never be great, but in the Honda's case the vehicle has 70,000km and is priced at 54% of a new one according to my Car Cost Canada report. Seems like a good deal to me, since I should easily get 8-10 years out of the vehicle either way given my low annual mileage.

Offline Firm

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +232/-1072
  • Urban Hick
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 XKR, 2007 DTS, 2006 Escalade, 2000 Sonoma ZQ8,1996 Firebird, 1996 Firebird Formula, 1985 Trans Am, 1984 Camaro, 1978 MGB x2
« Reply #8159 on: January 10, 2018, 04:33:10 pm »
84im, I am so freakin jealous of that shop. I'd still prolly fill it with cars and end up working outside, but I want it!!

I took the afternoon off to take care of some errands, which got done early so I took advantage of the +1 weather and washed the Escalade....in the rain, lol. At least I got the salt off it.