Author Topic: What did you do to your car today?  (Read 3013513 times)

Online Gurgie

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-518
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Honda Passport Touring
Re: What did you do to your car today?
« Reply #8060 on: January 05, 2018, 01:57:30 pm »
Both vehicles got new wiper blades the other day, I picked up more of the cheap Michelin ones from Costco....so nice to have fresh blades during freezing rain, snow, etc.  These are so cheap I'll always replace them come November each year.

My wife is pushing to get me to sell the BMW for something more family friendly....she wants a minivan but doesn't want to give up her car.  Guess I will start looking at used Sienna/Odyssey soon.

How's that work  ???  Oh, I know... you get yourself a cool summer car to replace the BMW... plus a used mini-van? Cool then!!  :cheers:   :rofl2:
You live everyday. You only die once....

Offline valuator

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +36/-115
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 Pilot TrailSport, 2015 Outback 3.6R, 2012 BMW 128i
« Reply #8061 on: January 05, 2018, 02:02:24 pm »
Both vehicles got new wiper blades the other day, I picked up more of the cheap Michelin ones from Costco....so nice to have fresh blades during freezing rain, snow, etc.  These are so cheap I'll always replace them come November each year.

My wife is pushing to get me to sell the BMW for something more family friendly....she wants a minivan but doesn't want to give up her car.  Guess I will start looking at used Sienna/Odyssey soon.

How's that work  ???  Oh, I know... you get yourself a cool summer car to replace the BMW... plus a used mini-van? Cool then!!  :cheers:   :rofl2:

Exactly....I will likely look at a used minivan, and save some budget for a nice used Toyota 86 or something in a few years.  I really don't mind  driving a minivan, the Dodge rentals have always been decent when we're in Florida.  I do most of the kid lugging, and I appreciate the higher load height and sliding doors. 

Online Gurgie

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #8062 on: January 05, 2018, 02:06:36 pm »

Exactly....I will likely look at a used minivan, and save some budget for a nice used Toyota 86 or something in a few years.  I really don't mind  driving a minivan, the Dodge rentals have always been decent when we're in Florida.  I do most of the kid lugging, and I appreciate the higher load height and sliding doors.

I'm guessing your kids are quite small still then? If so, then I agree the higher load height is great! Minivan's do drive decent, my Dad's Odyssey was pretty good... but no where near your 328 in terms of balance & handling.

Offline valuator

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #8063 on: January 05, 2018, 03:11:48 pm »

I'm guessing your kids are quite small still then? If so, then I agree the higher load height is great! Minivan's do drive decent, my Dad's Odyssey was pretty good... but no where near your 328 in terms of balance & handling.

They're 3.5 and 1.5....and I drive ultra conservatively when they are in the car.  I used to go out "just for a drive" many evenings, grab a coffee, etc....but no time for that anymore.  It mildly irks me that the car is paid off and I'm in the flat part of the depreciation curve....

But anyway, happy wife happy life....at least she is asking for something practical.  And I will admit I think I will grow to love a van day-to-day...

I will have to post some options once I am closer to buying, I'm not familiar with the segment at all beyond knowing that the Sienna/Odyssey are the market leaders...I'll need some advice when it comes to knowing the weak spots, known issues, etc for different model years.  Just wish the Sienna offered AWD in the lower trims, most of the ones I see used are XLE or Limited.

Online Gurgie

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #8064 on: January 05, 2018, 03:26:58 pm »

They're 3.5 and 1.5....and I drive ultra conservatively when they are in the car.  I used to go out "just for a drive" many evenings, grab a coffee, etc....but no time for that anymore.  It mildly irks me that the car is paid off and I'm in the flat part of the depreciation curve....

But anyway, happy wife happy life....at least she is asking for something practical.  And I will admit I think I will grow to love a van day-to-day...

I will have to post some options once I am closer to buying, I'm not familiar with the segment at all beyond knowing that the Sienna/Odyssey are the market leaders...I'll need some advice when it comes to knowing the weak spots, known issues, etc for different model years.  Just wish the Sienna offered AWD in the lower trims, most of the ones I see used are XLE or Limited.

Is the BMW a manual?

I think the Sienna is the stronger of the 2 from what I remember... the Odyssey had some tranny issues, though my Dad's 2010 never had any, but I think there was something with the new 9spd? Don't remember reading or hearing anything about Sienna's having any issues.

Offline valuator

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #8065 on: January 05, 2018, 03:36:52 pm »

Is the BMW a manual?

I think the Sienna is the stronger of the 2 from what I remember... the Odyssey had some tranny issues, though my Dad's 2010 never had any, but I think there was something with the new 9spd? Don't remember reading or hearing anything about Sienna's having any issues.

Automatic....wife didn't have any interest in driving a stick, and I thought I could be happy with the manual shift mode.  I got a phenomenal deal at the time.  I don't really regret the choice at this point, it's a transportation appliance more than anything. 

Thanks for the heads up on the Odyssey, I'll have to start doing some research....there's gotta be some model-specific forums out there.

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #8066 on: January 05, 2018, 03:38:40 pm »

Is the BMW a manual?

Automatic....wife didn't have any interest in driving a stick, and I thought I could be happy with the manual shift mode.  I got a phenomenal deal at the time.  I don't really regret the choice at this point, it's a transportation appliance more than anything. 

Thanks for the heads up on the Odyssey, I'll have to start doing some research....there's gotta be some model-specific forums out there.
Sienna would have a chaining belt

Offline valuator

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #8067 on: January 05, 2018, 03:43:40 pm »

Is the BMW a manual?

Good to know, hopefully vendors will have records to show whether it's been done yet.  Likely looking at vehicles in the <80,000km range, though.  Long term, not a big expense since we likely won't put more than 20k/year on it.

Offline Seafoam

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +89/-202
    • View Profile
« Reply #8068 on: January 05, 2018, 06:20:37 pm »

Is the BMW a manual?

Chaining belt??  Is that worse to replace than a timing belt or a timing chain? ;D
2023 Honda Civic EX-B
2004 Mazdaspeed Miata

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +117/-442
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Land Rover LR4, Honda Ridgeline, Husqvarna FE501
« Reply #8069 on: January 05, 2018, 07:19:54 pm »
Ridgeline got:

oil and filter change
transmission fluid drain and fill (3.5L)
transfer case oil drain and fill

Completed in 40 mins flat while listening to second period of Flames game.

The benefit to owning a vehicle for years and ears is the maintenance becomes second nature. I could do it in my sleep.

Ridgeline fits in a heated garage?

Yes easily? It fits with a workbench in front of it. If a F150 fit I may be driving one of those, or a 6.2L Sierra.

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8070 on: January 05, 2018, 07:26:43 pm »

Bought some fancy schamncy Bosch Icons and I don't see a difference between them and the usual Costco Michelins. Good value those Michelin's!

Offline 84im

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +24/-81
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 BMW X1, 2003 Chevy Tracker, 1974 VW Dune Buggy, and 1974 VW Thing
« Reply #8071 on: January 05, 2018, 07:38:21 pm »

Bought some fancy schamncy Bosch Icons and I don't see a difference between them and the usual Costco Michelins. Good value those Michelin's!

I have a set of Costco Michelins on my wife's Chevy Tracker and they work fine, but the Costco set I put on my F150 had a passenger side failure within a week.
I ended up splurging and replaced the Coscto wipers with a set of Bosch Icons.  Time will tell if they're worth the extra money.
A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kickboxing.

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8072 on: January 05, 2018, 07:40:55 pm »

Ok lets report back in a year and see how the Icons are working out for each of us. I have Icons on the LR4 and Michelins on the Ridge.

I have a set of Costco Michelins on my wife's Chevy Tracker and they work fine, but the Costco set I put on my F150 had a passenger side failure within a week.
I ended up splurging and replaced the Coscto wipers with a set of Bosch Icons.  Time will tell if they're worth the extra money.

Offline bridgecity

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +126/-182
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 MDX; 2007 Tundra
« Reply #8073 on: January 05, 2018, 07:46:43 pm »
Didn’t like the Michelin’s on my truck. Chattered in no time. Plus with a really strong cross wind they made an awful high pitched squeal.
Quality is never an accident; it is always the result of high intention, sincere effort, intelligent direction, and skillful execution; it represents the wise choice of many alternatives.

Offline 84im

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +24/-81
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 BMW X1, 2003 Chevy Tracker, 1974 VW Dune Buggy, and 1974 VW Thing
« Reply #8074 on: January 05, 2018, 07:54:03 pm »
For the price I paid for the Bosch Icons they had better have magical powers.  ;D

I recently installed a a set of new 40mm Weber carbs on my dune buggy engine and today I installed my fancy-pants SyncLink throttle system

If all the planets align I should have the buggy back on the road this summer. 

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-6812
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #8075 on: January 05, 2018, 09:15:42 pm »
So clean  :love:

Offline Arthur Dent

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +186/-80
  • 42?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8076 on: January 05, 2018, 09:40:49 pm »
Beauty. Those Webers are aesthetically lovely.

Offline Angry Chicken

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +131/-157
  • Don't get Clucky Angry!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: drei Deutsche
« Reply #8077 on: January 05, 2018, 09:44:04 pm »
Beauty. Those Webers are aesthetically lovely.
:iagree: when they’re tuned they sound lovely too!

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7213
    • View Profile
« Reply #8078 on: January 05, 2018, 10:01:14 pm »

I dunno, man.

I understand the happy wife, happy life stuff (sorta), but there are costs to decisions.

If SHE wants a minivan, she needs to decide how bad she wants car or minivan.

I mean...how would she feel if you wanted a new car and forced her to sell hers because of your wants?

Don't do it, man.

You only live once.
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +245/-468
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Hyundai Entourage, 2007 Buick Lucerne
« Reply #8079 on: January 05, 2018, 10:57:58 pm »
I will drive the Hyundai Entourage to Moncton!  Pay wholesale price for the BMW!  I love the inline six in the 328!