Author Topic: What did you do to your car today?  (Read 3014336 times)

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +707/-12391
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
Re: What did you do to your car today?
« Reply #7840 on: November 16, 2017, 06:54:06 pm »
Facccckkkk....nice pic man.  :winner: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Cheers!

Looks good. You should see if the have genesis Center caps

True.
I'd just get the wheel badges..(winter tires after all)

Usually about $10.

So just peel and stick?  Do the existing ones just peel off?
Wokeism is nothing more than the recognition and opposition of bigotry in all its forms.  Bigots are predictably triggered.

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +289/-389
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 12 Mazda 5 GT 6MT
« Reply #7841 on: November 16, 2017, 07:00:06 pm »
It's that time again.  Winter: your move.

Love those wheels.

Offline HeliDriver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +176/-235
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Crosstrek Sport 6MT; 2011 Yukon XL 2500
« Reply #7842 on: November 16, 2017, 07:03:38 pm »

Love those wheels.

Yeah, looks good. Love the rubber, too. Looks very purposeful. :thumbup:

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7213
    • View Profile
« Reply #7843 on: November 16, 2017, 07:08:22 pm »
Peel and stick.

You could likely go right over top depending on how thick the badge is.
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +707/-12391
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
« Reply #7844 on: November 16, 2017, 07:45:36 pm »

Love those wheels.

Yeah, looks good. Love the rubber, too. Looks very purposeful. :thumbup:

Props to Patrick for hooking me up with  set.  :bow:

Peel and stick.

You could likely go right over top depending on how thick the badge is.

Cool - thanks.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #7845 on: November 16, 2017, 07:50:27 pm »
^^Could even have a print shop make you a set out of heavy duty vinyl...though you do have to twist their arms to get them to print the logo.

Offline tenpenny

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +137/-305
    • View Profile
« Reply #7846 on: November 16, 2017, 09:12:41 pm »
Ford does TPMS very well.  Displays individual pressures and resets automatically.  Nissan the same but needs dealer reset.  :P

My '13 Focus did not display individual tire pressure nor reset automatically when I was swapping winter tires (with TPMS).  Maybe they have it in the higher models....
GM does individual tire pressure in some of their cars - I know it has been doing it for Buicks for some time... not sure about auto-reset.

I prefer the VW system used in the Golf at least with no sensors in the wheel - not fancy pressure reading, but you set the baseline to whatever pressure you want and the system will warn you if the pressure drops below a certain threshold from the baseline. The driver has to take it from there and check the wheels.... simple and efficient.

Early (like early 2000's) GM system was like that. No wheel sensors, you set your baseline by holding a big red button in the fuse panel and the system takes some measurement of the diameter of the wheels...Then calculates and monitors the diameter of the wheels as you drive via the individual speed sensors. Genius system; no sensors, no BS reset procedure. My grandmother's 2000 Buick Century has this and it works flawlessly.

If there are no sensors in the wheels, then you are not measuring tire pressure.  You are measuring something else and relating it to pressure.

We run into this concept all the time in industrial applications.  Do you measure something, or measure something else and correlate it to what you want?

I'd rather directly measure the factor you are concerned about.

Sent from my Vic20 using Java Moose
My diesel car self-identifies as an electric vehicle.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #7847 on: November 16, 2017, 09:19:44 pm »
Ford does TPMS very well.  Displays individual pressures and resets automatically.  Nissan the same but needs dealer reset.  :P

My '13 Focus did not display individual tire pressure nor reset automatically when I was swapping winter tires (with TPMS).  Maybe they have it in the higher models....
GM does individual tire pressure in some of their cars - I know it has been doing it for Buicks for some time... not sure about auto-reset.

I prefer the VW system used in the Golf at least with no sensors in the wheel - not fancy pressure reading, but you set the baseline to whatever pressure you want and the system will warn you if the pressure drops below a certain threshold from the baseline. The driver has to take it from there and check the wheels.... simple and efficient.

Early (like early 2000's) GM system was like that. No wheel sensors, you set your baseline by holding a big red button in the fuse panel and the system takes some measurement of the diameter of the wheels...Then calculates and monitors the diameter of the wheels as you drive via the individual speed sensors. Genius system; no sensors, no BS reset procedure. My grandmother's 2000 Buick Century has this and it works flawlessly.

If there are no sensors in the wheels, then you are not measuring tire pressure.  You are measuring something else and relating it to pressure.

We run into this concept all the time in industrial applications.  Do you measure something, or measure something else and correlate it to what you want?

But it still works...and works well.

I have a similar system in LS430.  It measures the wheel speed sensors.  As soon as one wheels is spinning at a different speed, it knows the rolling circumference has changed..and the tire is low.

I was also shocked by how little variance it required to trip the system.  It's an extremely cost effective and reliable system.

Full disclosure:  I could care less if my car had any tire pressure monitoring.  I regularly check my tires anyways.

Offline Firm

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +232/-1072
  • Urban Hick
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 XKR, 2007 DTS, 2006 Escalade, 2000 Sonoma ZQ8,1996 Firebird, 1996 Firebird Formula, 1985 Trans Am, 1984 Camaro, 1978 MGB x2
« Reply #7848 on: November 17, 2017, 12:30:15 am »

But it still works...and works well.

I have a similar system in LS430.  It measures the wheel speed sensors.  As soon as one wheels is spinning at a different speed, it knows the rolling circumference has changed..and the tire is low.

I was also shocked by how little variance it required to trip the system.  It's an extremely cost effective and reliable system.

Full disclosure:  I could care less if my car had any tire pressure monitoring.  I regularly check my tires anyways.

I don't disagree, but this isn't industrial manufacturing, it's air pressure in a passenger car....Even if the system is slightly less than 100% accurate, what difference does it make. Plenty of cars out there without any monitor system and they're getting by just fine.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #7849 on: November 17, 2017, 10:55:00 pm »
In Japan, the LS trunk garnish is chrome. They keep the same chrome party for the U.S.market, but paint over it..except for a small strip in the middle. This is fine..except paint doesn't stick well to chrome forever...and if you get a chip, it starts flaking off, as was the case for mine.

I couldn't stand it anymore (my plan was to put some Gloss Black 3M wrap in it) so I got some paint remover and went to town.

I think it turned out ok...if a bit blingy.

« Last Edit: November 17, 2017, 11:06:38 pm by rrocket »

Offline Gurgie

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-518
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Honda Passport Touring
« Reply #7850 on: November 17, 2017, 11:18:26 pm »
Got it ready for winter hibernation, aired up the tires to 50psi, filled it up with 94, put a bunch of fabric softeners thru the interior. Took it out for a spin with my youngest for dinner & the out to the storage barn. Won't see it now till late March early April :(

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

You live everyday. You only die once....

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #7851 on: November 17, 2017, 11:30:54 pm »
Item number 2 that needed attention was my fault. When I switched over to LED lighting, I bought a kit instead of sourcing piece by piece. So I somewhat expected certain bulbs to be cheap.

This was the case for my license plate bulbs. As soon as it turned cold, they started to flicker..more like strobe I think. Knowing the pull-over-happy police would love this during my early AM ride home, I fixed it.

Bought some expensive Phillips LEDs. Hopefully all is well now.

BTW..if anyone needs bulbs, I highly recommend Xenon Depot. Great selection, fair prices and owned by a Canadian.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #7852 on: November 17, 2017, 11:31:48 pm »

Got it ready for winter hibernation, aired up the tires to 50psi, filled it up with 94, put a bunch of fabric softeners thru the interior. Took it out for a spin with my youngest for dinner & the out to the storage barn. Won't see it now till late March early April :(

Pig in a blanket!

Offline blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +244/-779
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
  • Cars: and bikes by age:BMW, Porsche, Subaru, Suzuki, Suzuki, Mazda, Jaguar, Kawasaki, Porsche, GMC, Suzuki
« Reply #7853 on: November 18, 2017, 02:05:46 pm »

In Ontario a lot of 94 has ethanol.  It's the 91 that doesn't have it.
Mr Pickypants

Offline Gurgie

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #7854 on: November 18, 2017, 04:27:38 pm »

Crap!!! It might have up to 10%, just checked.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #7855 on: November 18, 2017, 10:12:58 pm »

Crap!!! It might have up to 10%, just checked.

If it has ethanol, just put K100 in it.

Prevents phase separation for 2 years.

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +245/-468
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Hyundai Entourage, 2007 Buick Lucerne
« Reply #7856 on: November 19, 2017, 10:48:48 am »
Spring of 2017 (last time I had the Entourage in for service 137,XXX).  It was noted the lower control arm bushings were tearing/separating.  Replacement bushings were $80 from the dealer (no after market available).  It wasn't an emergency, so I put it off.  I decided to replace the left & right control arm, with the sway bar end links.  That way I don't have to worry about changing the bearings for awhile.  Ordered some Dorman ones from Amazon.com.  $50 USD for each control arm, and $30 for the sway bar end links.  Picked them up last week.  After reviewing the quote to have the bushings replaced, and comparing it the invoice of having the control arms replaced, it's about a wash.  Quite happy with that, would rather have the control arms replaced then just the bushings. 

Also had them change the oil, install the winter tires, install a new double din Pioneer deck for my wife (birthday present).  Old deck was the worst one I have had, no aux in, no bluetooth, couldn't play MP3!  For a 2008 Limited trim.  Needed an alignment, it was pretty bad, as it needed a camber shim to get it inline.  I cracked the back bumper cover slightly with the camper in the summer.  Bought a used one from the wreckers for $25.  They put that on for me as well.  Didn't expect it to take 2 hours, glad I didn't have to tackle that.  Apparently the hitch/receiver was a bit of a challenge.  I can see that, pretty rusty, and sits quite low.  Last thing was headlights needed aiming.  Never had this done before, but something was off when I drove this vehicle once in a blue moon at night, and they confirmed it when testing the lights, few degrees too low.  So for the year of 2017, just under $2000 in maintenance/repairs/upgrades.  Includes parts, and stereo.  Around 15k done this year.  Still doesn't drive like an Odyssey, but it will do.   

Offline Gurgie

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #7857 on: November 19, 2017, 01:43:47 pm »
Put a K&N air filter into the GC & put new Michelin wipers (Costco ones) on both the GC & 323i.

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #7858 on: November 19, 2017, 02:10:02 pm »
I don't know why Toyota moved to a TPMS with in-wheel sensors.  I have the wheel-speed sensing system on the Highlander, and it's amazing.  It cares not about what wheels/tires are on the car and I've found it very reactive.  If one tire is down 3-4psi, the light comes on.  Works like a damn.  Our Corolla has in-tire sensors - ugh.  Progress?  I don't think so.

Offline draghon

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +20/-27
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Mine [07 Civic SI coupe] Wife [23 Sienna XSE AWD]
« Reply #7859 on: November 19, 2017, 03:38:16 pm »
Replaced front brake pads with my four year old. Great fun!
ex rides: 93 Aerostar XLT AWD
wife ex rides: 07 Wave base, 11 Tiguan Comfortline with sport package, 14 Acadia SLE II AWD