Author Topic: What did you do to your car today?  (Read 3014487 times)

Offline NightStalker_ZA

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +0/-1
  • Drive Hard & Have Fun
    • View Profile
    • Youtube NightStalker_ZA
  • Cars: VW Polo Highline DSG, Renault Megane DCi
Re: What did you do to your car today?
« Reply #7780 on: November 13, 2017, 08:24:45 am »
Drove it to work today. Traction was surprisingly good as it was -1ºC  Its very lonely in the parking lot as the Fed's are off today.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

one beautiful car Gurgie!
Youtube Channel Name: NightStalker_ZA

Daily Drive: 2015 Renault Megane DCi

Drive Hard & Have Fun !!

Offline Gurgie

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-518
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Honda Passport Touring
« Reply #7781 on: November 13, 2017, 08:27:04 am »
FINALLY got all the matching wheels on the 72 MGB and tucked it away for the winter. Come Spring I'll finish it up; needs a dash cap, engine bay detail, front brake flex lines (they just look suspect), and a few other little details.

I've owned a half dozen or so MGBs over the years (and many,many more if you count cars own by parents) and this is legitimately one of the best...zero rust, pre-smog five-main engine, factory wire wheels, and the great looking Blaze red (orange) paint. Being a late chrome bumper car it also gets the more usable interior (glove box, console, headrests, etc).

Looking great Firm!!! Admire all the time & dedication you have for these cars  ;D
You live everyday. You only die once....

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +245/-468
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Hyundai Entourage, 2007 Buick Lucerne
« Reply #7782 on: November 13, 2017, 08:44:54 am »
This is the '72 right?      My UK spec 71  did not have the side markers and only had 2 wipers...and mine had overdrive and rostyle steel wheels.  Was just white instead of a great colour like yours

Yeah '72, although the differences between the car you had and this car would be the UK vs. NA specs...All 69+ NA cars had side markers and 3 wipers. Wish my car had overdrive, the one thing it's missing.

Solstice, that Burgundy was likely a respray, there was a factory burgundy, but it was never metallic. I don't recall any standard production MG with metallic paint. Triumph and Jaguar only started to use metallics in the late 70's

Thanks for the compliments guys....I might hang onto this one for a bit.

I could be wrong with metallic.  All I remember as a kid, was when the sun shone on the car, it would appear lighter.  Will have to get some details from my Dad.   Any link from the burgundy from the factory?

Offline Firm

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +232/-1072
  • Urban Hick
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 XKR, 2007 DTS, 2006 Escalade, 2000 Sonoma ZQ8,1996 Firebird, 1996 Firebird Formula, 1985 Trans Am, 1984 Camaro, 1978 MGB x2
« Reply #7783 on: November 13, 2017, 11:20:38 am »
This is the '72 right?      My UK spec 71  did not have the side markers and only had 2 wipers...and mine had overdrive and rostyle steel wheels.  Was just white instead of a great colour like yours

Yeah '72, although the differences between the car you had and this car would be the UK vs. NA specs...All 69+ NA cars had side markers and 3 wipers. Wish my car had overdrive, the one thing it's missing.

Solstice, that Burgundy was likely a respray, there was a factory burgundy, but it was never metallic. I don't recall any standard production MG with metallic paint. Triumph and Jaguar only started to use metallics in the late 70's

Thanks for the compliments guys....I might hang onto this one for a bit.

I could be wrong with metallic.  All I remember as a kid, was when the sun shone on the car, it would appear lighter.  Will have to get some details from my Dad.   Any link from the burgundy from the factory?

This link here does a decent job of showing all the MGB colors that were available. Burgundy is usually either Damask Red or Carmine Red...The 77 I had last year was Damask (original paint too!).

http://www.teglerizer.com/mgcolors/

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +117/-442
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Land Rover LR4, Honda Ridgeline, Husqvarna FE501
« Reply #7784 on: November 13, 2017, 11:46:27 am »
 :thumbup:
Drove it to work today. Traction was surprisingly good as it was -1ºC  Its very lonely in the parking lot as the Fed's are off today.

Offline Gurgie

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #7785 on: November 13, 2017, 05:33:43 pm »
[emoji106]

Thx guys! The turbo loves this cold dense air. Got the back end loose a few times on the way home just now. Fully expected tho,  so no surprises ;)

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7213
    • View Profile
« Reply #7786 on: November 13, 2017, 05:47:32 pm »
I'm getting impatient....when does the Lindsey Racing (or Vitesse) kit go on?
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline Firm

• Car Crazy
  • Urban Hick
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 XKR, 2007 DTS, 2006 Escalade, 2000 Sonoma ZQ8,1996 Firebird, 1996 Firebird Formula, 1985 Trans Am, 1984 Camaro, 1978 MGB x2
« Reply #7787 on: November 13, 2017, 06:15:55 pm »
[emoji106]

Thx guys! The turbo loves this cold dense air. Got the back end loose a few times on the way home just now. Fully expected tho,  so no surprises ;)

That is a very good looking car, I do want to own one someday.
I almost bought a mid 80's non-turbo years ago...it was sitting around for awhile with a crunched in driver's door, and a bunch of other repairs need. Think I talked the owner down to $750 and then walked.....Looking at the market now, it would've been a good buy.

Offline Gurgie

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #7788 on: November 13, 2017, 07:23:51 pm »
I'm thinking Vitesse in the spring... if I decide to keep the car...

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7213
    • View Profile
« Reply #7789 on: November 13, 2017, 07:32:09 pm »
I'm thinking Vitesse in the spring... if I decide to keep the car...

I too prefer Vitesse.

Offline carcrazed

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +39/-88
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Forester Touring; 2009 Civic EX-L
« Reply #7790 on: November 13, 2017, 09:48:16 pm »
Both look great guys.  I am certain that I wouldn't fit in those, though.
I was surprised, when I went to check out a local MB dealership with my wife this afternoon, that I could not comfortably fit into a C300.  My hair was brushing against the ceiling.  WTH? I'm only 6'2" -- I guess my torso is too tall or I need to shave my head.
I sat in a running C300 with the seat at its lowest setting, but without leaning back gansta style, my hair was touching the ceiling.
So we tried the GLC300 after that.  I was able to fit into it just barely so we went for a quick spin.  What I noticed the most was the low level of NVH, and fanciness of the infotainment system.  The engine wasn't particularly strong and steering lacked feedback, though.
The salesperson had a  GLC 43 AMG demo available with $6K off, it was tempting to test drive that one, but we had to leave when we realized that someone was coming to our house to do some work. 
It was my first time driving a Benz, and I came away underwhelmed overall.  I also didn't like that you have to get Premium Plus package to get heated steering wheel.  Audi has it as a standalone option for Q5.

Offline Gurgie

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #7791 on: November 13, 2017, 10:14:03 pm »
I was surprised, when I went to check out a local MB dealership with my wife this afternoon, that I could not comfortably fit into a C300.  My hair was brushing against the ceiling.  WTH? I'm only 6'2" -- I guess my torso is too tall or I need to shave my head.
I sat in a running C300 with the seat at its lowest setting, but without leaning back gansta style, my hair was touching the ceiling.
So we tried the GLC300 after that.  I was able to fit into it just barely so we went for a quick spin.  What I noticed the most was the low level of NVH, and fanciness of the infotainment system.  The engine wasn't particularly strong and steering lacked feedback, though.
The salesperson had a  GLC 43 AMG demo available with $6K off, it was tempting to test drive that one, but we had to leave when we realized that someone was coming to our house to do some work. 
It was my first time driving a Benz, and I came away underwhelmed overall.  I also didn't like that you have to get Premium Plus package to get heated steering wheel.  Audi has it as a standalone option for Q5.
You'd fit in my Porsche, no problem. My buddy has one like mine & he's 6'3" 

Offline carcrazed

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +39/-88
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Forester Touring; 2009 Civic EX-L
« Reply #7792 on: November 13, 2017, 11:25:16 pm »
You'd fit in my Porsche, no problem. My buddy has one like mine & he's 6'3" 

He must have long legs.
My head was even sticking out in a SL 63 convertible. Granted, the seat was not at its lowest position.

Offline Dante

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +33/-97
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 VW GTI DSG, 2011 BMW 328i xDrive 6MT, 2007 Mitsubishi Outlander
« Reply #7793 on: November 14, 2017, 02:30:18 pm »
Put the winter tires on on the Outlander today.  Had to replace a TPMS sensor as well due to valve corrosion. Unfortunately the original ones have the valve built in so no choice.  The new ones have detachable valve.
Two more to go as one was replaced  2 winters ago as it broke in my hand when I took the cap out to adjust the pressure.  These things are pricy at $75 a pop plus tax and labor, and this is 50% off from list price.

Found out I need front breaks too - only 3 mm left according to the mechanic but I took a look at them too and they are low indeed.

Looks like the Outlander will get new front breaks and new TPMS sensors for Christmas. Pretty expensive gift that is >:(
« Last Edit: November 14, 2017, 02:31:52 pm by carcrazy »

Offline Firm

• Car Crazy
  • Urban Hick
    • View Profile
« Reply #7794 on: November 14, 2017, 04:12:33 pm »
I hate TPMS....the Slade has been giving me 'service TPMS' messages recently thanks to the battery in one of the sensors getting low. What a stupid design....I have replacement sensors on hand (from work), but I gotta unmount the tire to replace the sensor, then re-mount and balance....what a pain.

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #7795 on: November 14, 2017, 04:30:12 pm »
I hate TPMS....the Slade has been giving me 'service TPMS' messages recently thanks to the battery in one of the sensors getting low. What a stupid design....I have replacement sensors on hand (from work), but I gotta unmount the tire to replace the sensor, then re-mount and balance....what a pain.

Is there a permanent way to get rid of them?

Offline HeliDriver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +176/-235
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Crosstrek Sport 6MT; 2011 Yukon XL 2500
« Reply #7796 on: November 14, 2017, 04:59:08 pm »

Well, if they’re from 2006 I guess it’s to be expected.  :-\

Mine’s an ‘11 and I didn’t bother to replace the TPMS batteries when I replaced the summer tires a year ago. Probably won’t need new tires again until 2021, so hopefully the batteries last that long. Agreed that it would be a pain to dismount/remount a tire just to replace a battery.

Overall though, I really like the system and wouldn’t want to be without it. Instant pressure readings at each corner: who doesn’t love that? ???

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #7797 on: November 14, 2017, 07:01:49 pm »

Mine’s an ‘11 and I didn’t bother to replace the TPMS batteries when I replaced the summer tires a year ago. Probably won’t need new tires again until 2021, so hopefully the batteries last that long. Agreed that it would be a pain to dismount/remount a tire just to replace a battery.

Overall though, I really like the system and wouldn’t want to be without it. Instant pressure readings at each corner: who doesn’t love that? ???

As you know, most of them don't show the exact tire pressure reading.  It's only when a significant change in pressure has occurred.  By the time it has reached that point, I don't need it to tell me to add air to my tires.  Just check your fluids and tire pressure every 2-3 months.

Offline HeliDriver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +176/-235
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Crosstrek Sport 6MT; 2011 Yukon XL 2500
« Reply #7798 on: November 14, 2017, 07:13:58 pm »

As you know, most of them don't show the exact tire pressure reading.  It's only when a significant change in pressure has occurred.  By the time it has reached that point, I don't need it to tell me to add air to my tires.  Just check your fluids and tire pressure every 2-3 months.

My '11 Yukon and '07 Suburban both show(ed) exact pressures at each corner. Guess I assumed the '06 Escalade does as well, but maybe not.

And if you only check your tire pressures every 2-3 months, that means you could be driving with a slow leak for 2-3 months. That's way too long, IMO. Ideally, you'd want to check pressures every week, but that's a PITA if you have to get down on your knees with a gauge. Not so much if you can just push a button on the dash.  ;)

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #7799 on: November 14, 2017, 07:19:43 pm »

My '11 Yukon and '07 Suburban both show(ed) exact pressures at each corner. Guess I assumed the '06 Escalade does as well, but maybe not.

And if you only check your tire pressures every 2-3 months, that means you could be driving with a slow leak for 2-3 months. That's way too long, IMO. Ideally, you'd want to check pressures every week, but that's a PITA if you have to get down on your knees with a gauge. Not so much if you can just push a button on the dash.  ;)

Not sure if the Escalade does or does not.  I am saying most systems in general don't show the exact tire pressure.  Now if they did, that would be good.  But for those ones that just show an icon when you lose 5psi, those suck.  I check every 2-3 months and the pressure is the same, if there was a change I would check more often.