Author Topic: What did you do to your car today?  (Read 3014891 times)

Offline draghon

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +20/-27
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Mine [07 Civic SI coupe] Wife [23 Sienna XSE AWD]
Re: What did you do to your car today?
« Reply #7660 on: October 27, 2017, 05:06:52 pm »
looks great! Were there multiple options from Rock Auto for your truck and if so, which one did you choose?

In other news: passed 175k on the odometer today
« Last Edit: October 27, 2017, 05:13:09 pm by draghon »
ex rides: 93 Aerostar XLT AWD
wife ex rides: 07 Wave base, 11 Tiguan Comfortline with sport package, 14 Acadia SLE II AWD

Offline Firm

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +232/-1072
  • Urban Hick
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 XKR, 2007 DTS, 2006 Escalade, 2000 Sonoma ZQ8,1996 Firebird, 1996 Firebird Formula, 1985 Trans Am, 1984 Camaro, 1978 MGB x2
« Reply #7661 on: October 27, 2017, 05:08:33 pm »
I've always said, replacing the plastic lenses on an older vehicle are one of the biggest improvements, both cosmetically and functionally you can make. I bet your headlight output is waaay better than it was.

Offline aquadorhj

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +271/-265
    • View Profile
  • Cars: MB SLK 55, Lexus NX, E46 M3, Honda Fit, VW Jetta, VW Rabbit, Saturn SC, Nissan NX,
« Reply #7662 on: October 27, 2017, 05:27:08 pm »
not today, but couple of days ago when it was raining.

drove my bimmer.

floored the accel in tight corner on purpose.   tire chirp and feel the traction control reigning in the power, and applying brakes.

it's been 6 years since i bought the bimmer so i think i'm quite comfortable letting the car do its thing and trust that it will go where i point.

but it kinda made me wonder..... if i had TC off, the rear definitely would have stepped out on me, would i have been able to catch it?...

Driving thrills makes my wallet lighter.. and therefore makes me faster because i'm shedding weight... :D

Offline BWII

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +188/-376
    • View Profile
« Reply #7663 on: October 27, 2017, 08:35:04 pm »
if i had TC off, the rear definitely would have stepped out on me, would i have been able to catch it?...

Nope.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7213
    • View Profile
« Reply #7664 on: October 27, 2017, 09:53:47 pm »
if i had TC off, the rear definitely would have stepped out on me, would i have been able to catch it?...

Nope.
Depends...If you're used RWD hooliganism.

As long as you didn't lift off and steered into it...you might have been fine.
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline mlin32

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +65/-419
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Peugeot 308 GT; 2015 Yamaha YZF-R3
« Reply #7665 on: October 27, 2017, 10:05:01 pm »
The late model BMWs are fairly easy to catch and drive thru hooliganism (I do it time-to-time).......fairly forgiving. Too easy to drive, if anything. Totally different from the early days of the E30. As long as you don't lift off and steered (overcorrection) you'd be fine.
ø cons: Peugeot 308: Yamaha R3 [/URL]

Offline BWII

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +188/-376
    • View Profile
« Reply #7666 on: October 28, 2017, 09:26:33 am »
Yes, but his is an M3...little raunchier than a reg 3.  I would guess spool up is a little faster.  And if you're not used to it...into the weeds you go.

Today, I changed to the winter tires.  Nov 16 last year...Oct 28th this year. 

Also, noticed today is the 6 yr anniversary date of when I bought the Fusion.  Had 10,907 km when I bought it, paid WAY too much for it - hindsight is 20:20 right? - and have put 155,000+ km on it since then.  If you don't count oil changes and air filters, tires and such, I've spent less than $300 in repairs (2 rear diff vents) and put $250 into rust prevention (rear of trunk under chrome was starting to bubble).  Other than that, oil changes, and tires*.  I may never have to buy brakes or spark plugs at this rate.  Runs great, drives perfect still, and the only rattle is the stupid glove box latch. Nothing that can't be fixed by just opening the door, or stuffing some Kleenex into it and closing it. Tighter than a nuns...habit.  ;D

* here's the kicker...despite the minimal actual time in the shop for repair work, I've still spent almost $4500 in repairs, tires, air filters and oil changes in 6 yrs... :P  Sitting at approx $0.26 per km to drive.  Wonder if you're better off leasing and getting 3 yrs free service thrown in... :-\ And a new car every 3-4 yrs.

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +245/-468
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Hyundai Entourage, 2007 Buick Lucerne
« Reply #7667 on: October 28, 2017, 10:38:44 am »
Yes, but his is an M3...little raunchier than a reg 3.  I would guess spool up is a little faster.  And if you're not used to it...into the weeds you go.

Today, I changed to the winter tires.  Nov 16 last year...Oct 28th this year. 

Also, noticed today is the 6 yr anniversary date of when I bought the Fusion.  Had 10,907 km when I bought it, paid WAY too much for it - hindsight is 20:20 right? - and have put 155,000+ km on it since then.  If you don't count oil changes and air filters, tires and such, I've spent less than $300 in repairs (2 rear diff vents) and put $250 into rust prevention (rear of trunk under chrome was starting to bubble).  Other than that, oil changes, and tires*.  I may never have to buy brakes or spark plugs at this rate.  Runs great, drives perfect still, and the only rattle is the stupid glove box latch. Nothing that can't be fixed by just opening the door, or stuffing some Kleenex into it and closing it. Tighter than a nuns...habit.  ;D

* here's the kicker...despite the minimal actual time in the shop for repair work, I've still spent almost $4500 in repairs, tires, air filters and oil changes in 6 yrs... :P  Sitting at approx $0.26 per km to drive.  Wonder if you're better off leasing and getting 3 yrs free service thrown in... :-\ And a new car every 3-4 yr

Don't think  so, my 6 is 3 years old next month.  I have had 8 oil changes, 2 air filters, one cabin air filter, a brake service, and winter tires.  So about $1,500 in maintenance.  Has 40,xxx km. 

Offline 84im

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +24/-81
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 BMW X1, 2003 Chevy Tracker, 1974 VW Dune Buggy, and 1974 VW Thing
« Reply #7668 on: October 29, 2017, 01:59:31 pm »
looks great! Were there multiple options from Rock Auto for your truck and if so, which one did you choose?

In other news: passed 175k on the odometer today

Rock Auto had two or three choices.  I bought mine because I liked the clear lenses.

A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kickboxing.

Offline 84im

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +24/-81
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 BMW X1, 2003 Chevy Tracker, 1974 VW Dune Buggy, and 1974 VW Thing
« Reply #7669 on: October 29, 2017, 02:07:36 pm »

Nope.

Over the years I've spun my various cars about a half a dozen times while participating in track days.
Every spin was because I was trying to take familiar corners just a little bit faster.....pushing the envelope.

I've found that if the back end came around past a certain point nothing I did made any difference.  If you haven't experienced a spin you don't realize how fast everything happens.

Offline blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +244/-779
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
  • Cars: and bikes by age:BMW, Porsche, Subaru, Suzuki, Suzuki, Mazda, Jaguar, Kawasaki, Porsche, GMC, Suzuki
« Reply #7670 on: October 29, 2017, 05:07:27 pm »

Nope.

Over the years I've spun my various cars about a half a dozen times while participating in track days.
Every spin was because I was trying to take familiar corners just a little bit faster.....pushing the envelope.

I've found that if the back end came around past a certain point nothing I did made any difference.  If you haven't experienced a spin you don't realize how fast everything happens.

Yup, and often oversteering off the track turns out the be the best option, sometimes if you "catch it" before it goes around you "snap spin" the other way and go off nose first at a worse angle.    Sometimes "both feet in" and hang on  is the way to go.
Mr Pickypants

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7213
    • View Profile
« Reply #7671 on: October 30, 2017, 08:09:05 am »

Nope.

Yup, and often oversteering off the track turns out the be the best option, sometimes if you "catch it" before it goes around you "snap spin" the other way and go off nose first at a worse angle.    Sometimes "both feet in" and hang on  is the way to go.
Track use and street use is much different.

As you point out, at a certain speed, for just along for the ride.

This isn't usually the case on the street.

Offline JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +112/-460
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda CR-V Sport, 2022 Honda Civic Si, 2020 Toyota Rav4 Hybrid XLE (traded in), 2020 VW Jetta GLI (Traded in), 2010 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited (sold), 2016 VW Golf R (Sold)
« Reply #7672 on: October 30, 2017, 08:51:11 am »
Had a paint chip on my roof from about a year ago.  I got it filled by Chips Away but they did a complete shyt job of it, half way through the winter it was back down to steel showing, so I got them to refill it.  Half way through the summer the paint they put in was gone again.  So rather than going back to them to do another temporary fix I wanted to fill it myself.  Not like I could do a worse job than the "professionals".  Went to crappy tire to get some touchup paint, they didn't have my color.  Called the dealer to see if they have any touchup paint and they only have those stupid touchup pens.  I wanted something with a brush.  Went online to find my color and could only find it on Amazon.  Go to order it and notice the time for delivery 8-10 weeks!

Anyway, finally got it this past week and filled that annoying chip that's been driving me crazy for the past year.  The paint came all the way from Russia and is a genuine VW touch up product.  I can't understand why I couldn't order this through my dealer but whatever.  I have enough touch up paint and clear to get me through my time with my Golf R so I'm happy.  Hopefully it lasts a bit longer than the stuff Chips Away used.

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #7673 on: October 30, 2017, 09:23:44 am »
Why didn't want to use a touch up pen ?

Offline JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +112/-460
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda CR-V Sport, 2022 Honda Civic Si, 2020 Toyota Rav4 Hybrid XLE (traded in), 2020 VW Jetta GLI (Traded in), 2010 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited (sold), 2016 VW Golf R (Sold)
« Reply #7674 on: October 30, 2017, 10:25:34 am »
Why didn't want to use a touch up pen ?

I have used a touch up pen before and there is very little control with them.  They're easier to use for people who don't care as much about the end result but when you want the most control and are willing to take the extra time the touch up paint with the brush is much better.  Just to note I don't actually use the brush, I use toothpicks to dab the paint on a little at a time.  Pretty hard to do that with a touch up pen (which is more like a marker in my opinion).

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +269/-457
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mazda CX-5
« Reply #7675 on: October 30, 2017, 11:03:17 am »
Went to my mum's to put her X-Ice Latitudes on her Land Rover, and at the same time, put my Blizzaks on my van.  It was easier than doing it in my driveway, as my dad has a 3-ton jack and air tools.

Offline carcrazed

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +39/-88
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Forester Touring; 2009 Civic EX-L
« Reply #7676 on: October 30, 2017, 11:55:37 am »
Went to my mum's to put her X-Ice Latitudes on her Land Rover, and at the same time, put my Blizzaks on my van.  It was easier than doing it in my driveway, as my dad has a 3-ton jack and air tools.

That's what I need for my MDX changeover, but I'm going to do it the cheap way and use the scissor jacks from the MDX this year.  It took 1.5 hour for the civic, I'm hoping it'll take a little less as it'll be second time doing it.

Offline draghon

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +20/-27
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Mine [07 Civic SI coupe] Wife [23 Sienna XSE AWD]
« Reply #7677 on: October 30, 2017, 12:07:20 pm »
Put the winter tires on my wife's car. Found nails in two of the all-season tires, arg! Also aired up the mini spare that is held under the car with a cable. I'm really not a fan of systems like this, makes checking the spare more difficult and the spare takes a ton of abuse from the elements.

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #7678 on: October 30, 2017, 12:40:54 pm »

That's what I need for my MDX changeover, but I'm going to do it the cheap way and use the scissor jacks from the MDX this year.  It took 1.5 hour for the civic, I'm hoping it'll take a little less as it'll be second time doing it.
1.5 hrs on a civic ??? Did you have a nice nap between wheels  :rofl:

Offline mlin32

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +65/-419
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Peugeot 308 GT; 2015 Yamaha YZF-R3
« Reply #7679 on: October 30, 2017, 02:30:00 pm »
Takes me about an hour for our BMWs to change over wheels, including a visual inspection of suspension and brake components.