Author Topic: What did you do to your car today?  (Read 3015078 times)

Offline carcrazed

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +39/-88
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Forester Touring; 2009 Civic EX-L
Re: What did you do to your car today?
« Reply #7440 on: August 22, 2017, 08:46:27 am »
That first gen TSX is such a great car. I'd certainly be tempted to keep that one.
The '04 I had is still my favourite (ok, second favourite) car I've ever owned.

Yeah it's one of my favourite. My friend had an '05 and he would have kept it if it didn't get written off in an accident.  He picked a Q50 after that.

Offline BWII

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +188/-376
    • View Profile
« Reply #7441 on: August 22, 2017, 02:11:57 pm »
Sold the MG B since its the end of summer and I need to free up a little space.

Built a wooden wing for the Civic (for the beater rally). More cheesy custom touches to follow.

Took in my mother's old TSX. 6spd manual and has 204K on it. I need clean it up and sort one or two details then sell it for her. Or I could sell the Mazda 2 and buy it off her. I'd like to get rid of the Civic and keep this one but it is easier on the kids to learn to drive on the automatic. We have one learner now and another as of January. Not sure which way to go yet. The Acura drives like a dream but it is 8 years older than the Mazda.

A. Sell it here, apparently MB prices on old Honda's are better than AB prices.  Probably a $7000+ car here (I haven't checked but based on that other Civic sale...maybe it's a $10 thou car...I mean: Acura  :P)  I'd like it if it was cheap enough...and I could get rid of the Sonic.   :-\ :P ::)

B. Keep it.  Your kids boys or girls?  Not that it should matter..not to be sexist and all that.  But why NOT teach them to drive on a car like that.  :think:  It wouldn't owe you (much), and they'd probably enjoy it.  Mazda's a manual too isn't it?  My youngest was glad he learned to drive it, though for a while I wasn't sure he would figure it out.  When he got his summer job working for the town, they have a 1 ton with a diesel and a manual...guess who has to drive it?  Yup, because the other kid has never driven a stick so he couldn't.  It's a great tool to have.  Just think if they ever end up on Amazing Race they won't look like a schmuck for not knowing how to drive a stick.  You've gotta think of their futures.

Nice looking car - does it have some bumper rash on the right side? Or just camera glare?

Offline Arthur Dent

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +186/-80
  • 42?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7442 on: August 22, 2017, 02:35:22 pm »
There is a little bumper rash on it - I think someone (my brother or mother) got too close to a cement pole. Probably not easy to fix as the purple/blue wouldn't be easy to match. A couple scratches on the hood. I might be able to buff those out.

I took a quick look at Kijiji and prices seem to range from a low of $3k with some issues to about $5.5K so I suspect $7-10k is a bit of a dream here. Still it has dealership maintenance, two owner car, garaged for its whole life, winter tires and rims and generally excellent shape so probably on the higher end of the range assuming anyone wants a 6spd car.

The Mazda has a little hail damage, cracked windshield and all season tires that will be done after the summer so its probably worth roughly the same.

The Mazda is a manual too. In fact they both have fantastic manual gearboxes with the Mazda being the lighter touch and the Acura a little notchy. The Mazda is probably easier to learn.

The kids will all learn manual at one point. All three are boys. The oldest boy sometimes isn't the best with spacial things thus trying to keep it easy for him with the autobox. The Civic was a hand me down from the in-laws a few months ago so if we sold that I wouldn't keep the money. Not that it is worth much. Ideally that would be the one to go but we need to run it for a while yet.

The Acura is a little quieter on the highway which might tip me that way - noise seems to be getting to me more the older I get.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7213
    • View Profile
« Reply #7443 on: August 22, 2017, 03:37:56 pm »
There is a little bumper rash on it - I think someone (my brother or mother) got too close to a cement pole. Probably not easy to fix as the purple/blue wouldn't be easy to match. A couple scratches on the hood. I might be able to buff those out.

I took a quick look at Kijiji and prices seem to range from a low of $3k with some issues to about $5.5K so I suspect $7-10k is a bit of a dream here. Still it has dealership maintenance, two owner car, garaged for its whole life, winter tires and rims and generally excellent shape so probably on the higher end of the range assuming anyone wants a 6spd car.

The Mazda has a little hail damage, cracked windshield and all season tires that will be done after the summer so its probably worth roughly the same.

The Mazda is a manual too. In fact they both have fantastic manual gearboxes with the Mazda being the lighter touch and the Acura a little notchy. The Mazda is probably easier to learn.

The kids will all learn manual at one point. All three are boys. The oldest boy sometimes isn't the best with spacial things thus trying to keep it easy for him with the autobox. The Civic was a hand me down from the in-laws a few months ago so if we sold that I wouldn't keep the money. Not that it is worth much. Ideally that would be the one to go but we need to run it for a while yet.

The Acura is a little quieter on the highway which might tip me that way - noise seems to be getting to me more the older I get.
When IQ came down to her car purchase, the TSX and IS were the finalists.

It's a really good car the TSX.
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline 2JDM

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +119/-141
    • View Profile
« Reply #7444 on: August 22, 2017, 05:33:16 pm »
I miss my 2004 TSX.  :'(

I vote you to keep it AD!!!

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7213
    • View Profile
« Reply #7445 on: August 22, 2017, 05:38:11 pm »
I miss my 2004 TSX.  :'(

I vote you to keep it AD!!!

Grass isn't always greener, eh?   ;D

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +289/-389
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 12 Mazda 5 GT 6MT
« Reply #7446 on: August 23, 2017, 12:25:06 am »
Good choice, I love the TSX. I drove my friend's and was amazed at how agile it was for something that was a little bigger than my Mazda and had lots more creature comforts.

Detailed my 3 yesterday, coming on five years of ownership.

I miss my smiley face 3.
Nice park plates.

Thanks. There's really nothing new I'd get rid of it for. The park plates are nice, debating getting some for my Sienna too but I heard ICBC will come up with more special plates so I'll see what comes out.

Side note, my buddy Paolo M. managed to snag the bear park plates "PA010M"

Offline BWII

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +188/-376
    • View Profile
« Reply #7447 on: August 23, 2017, 08:01:00 am »

There aren't a lot out here...but this is similar...2005, but it's an auto (Yawn) and no spoiler (so not racecar)...lots more k's though, and they want $8g...
https://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/winnipeg/2005-acura-tsx-for-sale-high-kms-but-in-mint-condition/1277849595?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

Who knows, maybe they'll get it. 

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +774/-2132
  • This forum is making me almost as bitter as SirO
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '23 Mazda CX-50 Turbo; '24 Crosstrek Wilderness
« Reply #7448 on: August 25, 2017, 08:24:26 pm »
I, myself, replaced the cabin and engine air filters. Yeah, piece of cake, but I still undertook to do it myself!!  Parts cost $35 total, labour took me about 2 mins for the engine and 10 for the cabin.

Pics don't seem to want to upload, but I'll try...

Fwiw, the car is 7 years old with 12,221km.  The engine filter was pristine (replaced any way), whereas the cabin filter was filthy.

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #7449 on: August 25, 2017, 10:04:16 pm »
Clean the engine area of SUV with the ugly interior

Online Firm

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +232/-1072
  • Urban Hick
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 XKR, 2007 DTS, 2006 Escalade, 2000 Sonoma ZQ8,1996 Firebird, 1996 Firebird Formula, 1985 Trans Am, 1984 Camaro, 1978 MGB x2
« Reply #7450 on: August 25, 2017, 11:28:34 pm »
Well, this was last weekend, but I am behind in everything right now...so I might as well be late here too. Rad in the 84 Camaro cracked as I was preparing to put it back into storage. So I ordered a new one, and hoses and swapped it. Took a good hour and a half to get the lower trans cooler line loosened without breaking it, but some torching and penetrating oil finally beat it. Rest of the job was easy...

Pics are giving me a hassle..so screw it :P

Offline Arthur Dent

• Car Crazy
  • 42?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7451 on: August 26, 2017, 09:17:01 am »
Off on the beater rally this morning

Offline Gurgie

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-518
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Honda Passport Touring
« Reply #7452 on: August 26, 2017, 10:07:57 am »
Off on the beater rally this morning
Can't wait to read about it! Have fun!

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

You live everyday. You only die once....

Offline 84im

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +24/-81
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 BMW X1, 2003 Chevy Tracker, 1974 VW Dune Buggy, and 1974 VW Thing
« Reply #7453 on: August 26, 2017, 11:08:49 am »
Installed a VANTRUE dash cam in the X1 yesterday.  Routing the wire under the trim bits was easier than I thought it would be.
A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kickboxing.

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2121
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2020 Toyota Tundra, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #7454 on: August 26, 2017, 06:13:49 pm »
Gave the JK a once over in the engine bay. Daily gravel roads mean tons of dust.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

Lighten up Francis.....

Online Firm

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +232/-1072
  • Urban Hick
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 XKR, 2007 DTS, 2006 Escalade, 2000 Sonoma ZQ8,1996 Firebird, 1996 Firebird Formula, 1985 Trans Am, 1984 Camaro, 1978 MGB x2
« Reply #7455 on: August 26, 2017, 06:19:45 pm »
Looks great fob!

Offline Bubba

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +382/-442
  • Vice President, Autos.ca Arizona Operations
    • View Profile
    • My photo site
  • Cars: 2013 Toyota Corolla LE
« Reply #7456 on: August 26, 2017, 06:43:39 pm »
Ready for another round of filth! 
My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government. - Thomas Jefferson

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
« Reply #7457 on: August 26, 2017, 07:40:06 pm »
I, myself, replaced the cabin and engine air filters. Yeah, piece of cake, but I still undertook to do it myself!!  Parts cost $35 total, labour took me about 2 mins for the engine and 10 for the cabin.

Pics don't seem to want to upload, but I'll try...

Fwiw, the car is 7 years old with 12,221km.  The engine filter was pristine (replaced any way), whereas the cabin filter was filthy.

Yea pretty easy on the second gen. You'll hear of horror stories from the first gen.

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
« Reply #7458 on: August 26, 2017, 07:41:00 pm »
Gave the JK a once over in the engine bay. Daily gravel roads mean tons of dust.

Tsk tsk, a clean Jeep. Go make it dirty again.

Offline Arthur Dent

• Car Crazy
  • 42?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7459 on: August 28, 2017, 12:02:50 am »

Finished our rally - a quick preview before the write up