Author Topic: What did you do to your car today?  (Read 3014201 times)

Offline BWII

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +188/-376
    • View Profile
Re: What did you do to your car today?
« Reply #7180 on: June 21, 2017, 09:20:00 am »
I've had my Fusion since Oct 2011...still love it.  Can't see myself getting rid of it anytime soon.  ( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( ok, I want a Mustang...I confess...or a new Camaro...but I'd be so bad in either of them...it'd be prison sex for a while I'm sure.)

Sonic...January 2013...still like it.  Though I admit if I could upgrade it to something more fun, with air and cruise...I would. But, I do like it for its intended purpose, and it's a fun little shitbox in the city. I'd take it on a road trip out to the west coast if it had those two missing features.  40-50+ mpg (wind & speed dependent), manual trans as required in a small car...and you can bag it without too much worry about exceeding the limits (though it will do 199 kmh if you wait long enough).

For me it's the truck I could happily dump and get a new one after only 4 yrs...yawn.  It's nice...but...OK, I get it.  But a Golf R I would think is a pretty sweet keeper, so long as it's on the road and not in the shop.

Offline 84im

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +24/-81
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 BMW X1, 2003 Chevy Tracker, 1974 VW Dune Buggy, and 1974 VW Thing
« Reply #7181 on: June 21, 2017, 10:25:15 am »
I've given up trying to get my Thing to run properly.   :P
Unfortunately, You Tube videos can only help me so much.

Time to get her flat-bedded to a local shop that works on air cooled VWs.    :-[
A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kickboxing.

Online Gurgie

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-518
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Honda Passport Touring
« Reply #7182 on: June 21, 2017, 10:43:13 am »
I've given up trying to get my Thing to run properly.   :P
Unfortunately, You Tube videos can only help me so much.

Time to get her flat-bedded to a local shop that works on air cooled VWs.    :-[

That sucks! Looked like you were well on your way  :-\
You live everyday. You only die once....

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #7183 on: June 21, 2017, 10:47:33 am »
I'm too cheap now to change cars frequently - especially new ones.  I think if you want to drive/own a lot of cars, rons got the right idea: only ones at the bottom of the depreciation curve.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7213
    • View Profile
« Reply #7184 on: June 21, 2017, 02:50:44 pm »
I'm too cheap now to change cars frequently - especially new ones.  I think if you want to drive/own a lot of cars, rons got the right idea: only ones at the bottom of the depreciation curve.
Ron's idea, while a good one, has also exposed a couple of things I'd not expected.

The angst (after the fact) of having owned special cars that you sold....or cars you merely really liked...and feeling like "I should have never sold that one".
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #7185 on: June 21, 2017, 05:23:37 pm »
and feeling like "I should have never sold that one".

I have that, but probably less than you!  The one that truly "is the one" for me was the 1969 911S.  Of all the cars I've owned, that is the one I'd most want back.  It made even my later 911 feel like a lux-barge.  The early 911s are so raw and mechanical and wonderful - but the 69 "S" models are very special in that they had the longer wheelbase (compared to the earlier models) and the 180hp 2.2L engine made the car surprisingly fast thanks to it's 1000kg weight.  (12lbs/Hp is amazing for a funny little German car from the 60s!)

Everything on those car is mechanical down to the fuel injection.  The electrical system was for the lights, and pretty much nothing else.  You felt like a cyborg - melding your biological entity with a mechanical system - thought controlled.  My Miata is about the same weight and is praised for being responsive, but the old 911S was on another plane completely.

Today, they're so valuable, I can't even dream about having one, and had a I kept mine, I'd probably sell it - prices seem to start about $150K and go up from there.  Insane.  It's also a car for occasional use, even if they weren't so ridiculously expensive.  The heater sucks and there's no A/C or power steering or anything else like that.  They hate heavy traffic, getting hot - the foibles of being air-cooled and having been designed before anyone knew what "gridlocked traffic" meant.

Offline carcrazed

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +39/-88
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Forester Touring; 2009 Civic EX-L
« Reply #7186 on: June 22, 2017, 09:21:55 am »
^^^ Depends on where you go.  Our testing is completely deregulated and privatized, so there are places that will sell you a pass for a few hundred dollars, and some places that fail everyone to generate revenue through re-tests.  We know of a pretty straight-shooting place in the city that we're going to use.

Privatization of these types of services has been horrible.  Now you have to shop around as the prices are all over the map, service is hit and miss, and there's scammers that sell licenses and so on.

Our are still administered by the MTO IIRC.

But in recent years, everyone seems to fail the first time...for some BS (made up?) reason.

I passed all my tests (G1, G2, and G) at one try each. :D

Offline JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +112/-460
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda CR-V Sport, 2022 Honda Civic Si, 2020 Toyota Rav4 Hybrid XLE (traded in), 2020 VW Jetta GLI (Traded in), 2010 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited (sold), 2016 VW Golf R (Sold)
« Reply #7187 on: June 22, 2017, 09:58:53 am »
Also did a full interior detail for the Santa Fe and have to say it's holding up really nicely.  Mind you we don't have kids and have under 90,000kms on the odo after 7+ years of ownership.  Still hoping to get another 3 years of relatively trouble free motoring until we replace both my wifes CUV and my Golf R.

Why would you replace a Golf R? (so soon)  I thought these things were the cat's meow.  ??? I can see replacing the Hyundai after 10 yrs but why the VDub?  Do they start to break or is it more a preventative thing - get rid of it before the inevitable?

I have to admit that I really love my Golf R and could probably drive her a very long time (especially considering I only average 8,000 kms/year).  There are a number of reasons why I'll probably trade the Golf R in 3 years (5 years of ownership).  The main reason would be the warranty will be expired, not that I have had any real issues with it at this point. 

If the warranty is already expired I'll be very tempted into doing some modifications (I'd probably be looking at Stage 2 APR, with downpipe, CAI, and upgraded clutch).  So that's extra money into a vehicle to keep it interesting to me but at the same time making it less reliable.  Plus once I go down that road I know if the turbo goes I'll find a way to justify going Stage 3 and putting even more money the vehicle that I'll never get back.

I really enjoy the car shopping experience and waiting 5 years is long enough for me.  I know I'll be replacing the Santa Fe regardless (barring it being too reliable to give up), so I'll need to do that car shopping but CUV shopping isn't the most exciting thing to do.

I'd eventually like to get into a RWD sports car of some sort as I've never owned a RWD vehicle.  So by trading in the Santa Fe and Golf R, adding in a bit of money saved, I should be able to get a CUV for her and something that'll be a winter vehicle for me (I'm thinking something like a Crosstrek & WRX, Tiguan & GTI, CR-V & Civic Si, or Fiesta ST & random CUV).  I'd want to pay them off within 4 years max (ideally 3 years), and have a full extended warranty out to 8 years (my wife hates having to pay for repairs of any sort).  After they are paid for I'll have 4-5 years to pay for a RWD sports car.

At least that's my master plan at the moment.  Things could definitely change over time.  Plus still no gaurantees that I can convince my wife that 3 vehicles is a necessity.

Online Gurgie

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #7188 on: June 22, 2017, 10:46:36 am »
Also did a full interior detail for the Santa Fe and have to say it's holding up really nicely.  Mind you we don't have kids and have under 90,000kms on the odo after 7+ years of ownership.  Still hoping to get another 3 years of relatively trouble free motoring until we replace both my wifes CUV and my Golf R.

Why would you replace a Golf R? (so soon)  I thought these things were the cat's meow.  ??? I can see replacing the Hyundai after 10 yrs but why the VDub?  Do they start to break or is it more a preventative thing - get rid of it before the inevitable?

I have to admit that I really love my Golf R and could probably drive her a very long time (especially considering I only average 8,000 kms/year).  There are a number of reasons why I'll probably trade the Golf R in 3 years (5 years of ownership).  The main reason would be the warranty will be expired, not that I have had any real issues with it at this point. 

If the warranty is already expired I'll be very tempted into doing some modifications (I'd probably be looking at Stage 2 APR, with downpipe, CAI, and upgraded clutch).  So that's extra money into a vehicle to keep it interesting to me but at the same time making it less reliable.  Plus once I go down that road I know if the turbo goes I'll find a way to justify going Stage 3 and putting even more money the vehicle that I'll never get back.

I really enjoy the car shopping experience and waiting 5 years is long enough for me.  I know I'll be replacing the Santa Fe regardless (barring it being too reliable to give up), so I'll need to do that car shopping but CUV shopping isn't the most exciting thing to do.

I'd eventually like to get into a RWD sports car of some sort as I've never owned a RWD vehicle.  So by trading in the Santa Fe and Golf R, adding in a bit of money saved, I should be able to get a CUV for her and something that'll be a winter vehicle for me (I'm thinking something like a Crosstrek & WRX, Tiguan & GTI, CR-V & Civic Si, or Fiesta ST & random CUV).  I'd want to pay them off within 4 years max (ideally 3 years), and have a full extended warranty out to 8 years (my wife hates having to pay for repairs of any sort).  After they are paid for I'll have 4-5 years to pay for a RWD sports car.

At least that's my master plan at the moment.  Things could definitely change over time.  Plus still no gaurantees that I can convince my wife that 3 vehicles is a necessity.

Here is some cheap RWD fun for you without breaking the bank... and it's just 1 province over  :stick:  http://www.kijiji.ca/v-classic-cars/dartmouth/1986-porsche-944-turbo/1269914627?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +255/-771
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 BMW 328i Touring, 1998 Jaguar XJR, 2024 Mini Cooper S
« Reply #7189 on: June 22, 2017, 10:58:03 am »
Here is some cheap RWD fun for you without breaking the bank... and it's just 1 province over  :stick:  http://www.kijiji.ca/v-classic-cars/dartmouth/1986-porsche-944-turbo/1269914627?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

Damn, that's nice.

Online Gurgie

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #7190 on: June 22, 2017, 11:01:35 am »

Damn, that's nice.

And the clutch job alone is ~$2k all in.

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #7191 on: June 22, 2017, 11:28:07 am »
^^^ Depends on where you go.  Our testing is completely deregulated and privatized, so there are places that will sell you a pass for a few hundred dollars, and some places that fail everyone to generate revenue through re-tests.  We know of a pretty straight-shooting place in the city that we're going to use.

Privatization of these types of services has been horrible.  Now you have to shop around as the prices are all over the map, service is hit and miss, and there's scammers that sell licenses and so on.

But in recent years, everyone seems to fail the first time...for some BS (made up?) reason.

What the fack is G1/G2 , G ?  ::).
What happen to 365 and G ?  ;D

Offline JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +112/-460
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda CR-V Sport, 2022 Honda Civic Si, 2020 Toyota Rav4 Hybrid XLE (traded in), 2020 VW Jetta GLI (Traded in), 2010 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited (sold), 2016 VW Golf R (Sold)
« Reply #7192 on: June 22, 2017, 11:33:03 am »

Damn, that's nice.

That would be a rather fun vehicle but I'm not a classic sports car fan.  With how fast and safe modern cars are I'd much prefer getting something newer.  I do however like old cruiser vehicles and could see some value in getting something for leisurely weekend drives.  For some reason I'm fond of the early 60's Ford Thunderbirds.

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2121
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2020 Toyota Tundra, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #7193 on: June 22, 2017, 11:40:34 am »

What the hell are all of those, its class 7 and then 5.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

Lighten up Francis.....

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #7194 on: June 22, 2017, 11:44:58 am »

Even Alberta has graduated licensing now.

Offline carcrazed

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +39/-88
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Forester Touring; 2009 Civic EX-L
« Reply #7195 on: June 22, 2017, 11:46:46 am »

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

That's how Ontario rolls, you know, to get as much money out of your wallet as possible.

Offline 5 Wheel Drive

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +88/-20
    • View Profile
  • Cars: My Mazda fleet: 2014 CX9 GS, 2013 Mazda 3 GX, 1997 Miata
« Reply #7196 on: June 23, 2017, 10:19:41 am »

I've always loved 944's.  If I was looking for one right now I'd be all over that one like fat kid on a smarty!  :drool:
"This is no Playstation, this.  There is no reset button if you get it wrong.  You just go through the pearly gates...on fire!"   -Jeremy Clarkson

Offline goodsonr

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +18/-5
    • View Profile
« Reply #7197 on: June 23, 2017, 12:26:17 pm »
Wife was saying that charging light was coming on/off  in the Saabaru . but when I checked all indicator lights off and everything normal .. until the 3rd time I checked.  Was expecting low voltage at idle but ...  no ..20 volts !.  So replaced alternator and started car ... no dice ..  dead battery after sitting for  just  3 days.  So don't even know if new alternator is OK

Don't know if the battery was on the way out or if the 20 volts fried it but I guess I might have another "what I did on my car" entry coming up (charging battery now and will let it sit for a couple of days to see if it can hold a charge).  Battery is around 4 years old so maybe it's time was near anyway.

Happy to say the battery seems fine. My current explanation is that aliens from an alternate universe were tapping into my battery in order to obtain energy to open a portal from their world to ours.  But it didn't work so they moved on .. and my battery .. and our world.. is now safe.

Offline 84im

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +24/-81
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 BMW X1, 2003 Chevy Tracker, 1974 VW Dune Buggy, and 1974 VW Thing
« Reply #7198 on: June 24, 2017, 03:36:26 pm »
Got my Thing back from the shop yesterday.  The mechanic sorted everything out and she runs great.

She's slow and noisy, with a buckboard ride, and I love it.   ;D

Offline bridgecity

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +126/-182
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 MDX; 2007 Tundra
« Reply #7199 on: June 24, 2017, 04:01:48 pm »
 :thumbup: :thumbup:
Quality is never an accident; it is always the result of high intention, sincere effort, intelligent direction, and skillful execution; it represents the wise choice of many alternatives.