Author Topic: What did you do to your car today?  (Read 3014065 times)

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2121
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2020 Toyota Tundra, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
Re: What did you do to your car today?
« Reply #7160 on: June 18, 2017, 11:15:36 pm »
Gawdammmm....ouch. That sucks.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

Lighten up Francis.....

Offline ChaosphereIX

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +187/-377
  • Wont run with the pack
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Jaguar XJR-L
« Reply #7161 on: June 19, 2017, 12:20:28 am »
My shop lets me bring in whatever oil and filter I want and charges me $20 for the change.  I usually time it with other stuff that needs to be done.

Which shop is this Tortoise? I'm looking for a good indie mechanic to go to when my warranty is up.

my shop in Ottawa lets me do this too - Rotella T6 for the Saab [on sale at maple leaf road rubber], Royal Purple 10w50 for the Alfa, and they charge me $20 for the work. Fair.
If driving an Alfa does not restore vitality to your soul, then just pass the hospital and park at the morgue to save everyone time.

Now drives a Jaaaaaaag...and thus will not pay for anything during an outing...but it is OK, because....I drive a Jaaaaaag.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7213
    • View Profile
« Reply #7162 on: June 19, 2017, 12:32:43 am »
Gawdammmm....ouch. That sucks.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

No biggie...am still happy..love wrenching.

PCV valve only allows 1/4 turn with wrench due to tight confines. So I wanted to remove the oil fill neck..only two 10mm nuts. But it's obviously never been removed. So it took a pretty good heave to loosen it. And when it gave, my finger (which was holding onto ratchet) nailed the stud used to hold the beauty cover on (circled in yellow). Top of stud/threads like a razor and went over my nail and UNDER the cuticle/skin. Beauty!

How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline aquadorhj

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +271/-265
    • View Profile
  • Cars: MB SLK 55, Lexus NX, E46 M3, Honda Fit, VW Jetta, VW Rabbit, Saturn SC, Nissan NX,
« Reply #7163 on: June 19, 2017, 12:39:40 am »
Got into an accident in vw. 

I rear ended a first gen miata. 

Light tap on the bumper.  No damage, no injury. 

Driving thrills makes my wallet lighter.. and therefore makes me faster because i'm shedding weight... :D

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #7164 on: June 19, 2017, 12:53:03 am »

Is that really an accident if no damage, no injury?

Offline Serniter

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +40/-20
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Lexus ES350
« Reply #7165 on: June 19, 2017, 07:17:16 am »
No biggie...am still happy..love wrenching.

PCV valve only allows 1/4 turn with wrench due to tight confines. So I wanted to remove the oil fill neck..only two 10mm nuts. But it's obviously never been removed. So it took a pretty good heave to loosen it. And when it gave, my finger (which was holding onto ratchet) nailed the stud used to hold the beauty cover on (circled in yellow). Top of stud/threads like a razor and went over my nail and UNDER the cuticle/skin. Beauty!

Sounds terrible. At least it was a V8 you were working on.

Offline 84im

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +24/-81
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 BMW X1, 2003 Chevy Tracker, 1974 VW Dune Buggy, and 1974 VW Thing
« Reply #7166 on: June 19, 2017, 09:52:10 am »
I couldn't get my my Thing's engine to run properly, so I took the carb off and stripped it down for a good cleaning.
There was lots of gunk in the float bowl, which (I think) was continually plugging the idle jet.
The carb is back on and I'll fire her up today.
Fingers crossed.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2017, 01:31:04 pm by 84im »
A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kickboxing.

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +245/-468
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Hyundai Entourage, 2007 Buick Lucerne
« Reply #7167 on: June 19, 2017, 01:10:40 pm »

That's a sin!

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #7168 on: June 19, 2017, 06:28:39 pm »
Practiced parallel parking in front of our house over and over again in the Forester with the kid.  She's taking her test next week, and this is her weak spot for some strange reason.  Poor Subaru, engine running for so long and not going anywhere!

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #7169 on: June 19, 2017, 06:30:03 pm »
Practiced parallel parking in front of our house over and over again in the Forester with the kid.  She's taking her test next week, and this is her weak spot for some strange reason.  Poor Subaru, engine running for so long and not going anywhere!

Is it a scam like in Ontario where everyone somehow fails their first test?

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #7170 on: June 19, 2017, 06:33:18 pm »
^^^ Depends on where you go.  Our testing is completely deregulated and privatized, so there are places that will sell you a pass for a few hundred dollars, and some places that fail everyone to generate revenue through re-tests.  We know of a pretty straight-shooting place in the city that we're going to use.

Privatization of these types of services has been horrible.  Now you have to shop around as the prices are all over the map, service is hit and miss, and there's scammers that sell licenses and so on.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #7171 on: June 19, 2017, 06:37:31 pm »
^^^ Depends on where you go.  Our testing is completely deregulated and privatized, so there are places that will sell you a pass for a few hundred dollars, and some places that fail everyone to generate revenue through re-tests.  We know of a pretty straight-shooting place in the city that we're going to use.

Privatization of these types of services has been horrible.  Now you have to shop around as the prices are all over the map, service is hit and miss, and there's scammers that sell licenses and so on.

Our are still administered by the MTO IIRC.

But in recent years, everyone seems to fail the first time...for some BS (made up?) reason.

Offline Firm

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +232/-1072
  • Urban Hick
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 XKR, 2007 DTS, 2006 Escalade, 2000 Sonoma ZQ8,1996 Firebird, 1996 Firebird Formula, 1985 Trans Am, 1984 Camaro, 1978 MGB x2
« Reply #7172 on: June 20, 2017, 09:14:45 am »
Been stupid budy, so my forum and car time has suffered :(
I did do a complete front brake job on the Firebird last weekend, and put new lower door seals on the Sonoma. This weekend I am hoping to get back to the orange MGB.

Online Gurgie

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-518
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Honda Passport Touring
« Reply #7173 on: June 20, 2017, 09:39:48 am »
Mine has been in the shop for a week now, getting the front seal replaced, along with gaskets for the turbo oil lines and some much needed adjustments to the timing belt rollers & tensioners. Car was ready yesterday & my mechanic told me I've got an exhaust leak in the front section of the exhaust... previous owner removed the section with the CAT & put in a test pipe instead, ended up it wasn't stainless and has rotted out. Luckily I have the original (stainless) section of pipe & cat in my garage & dropped it off to him this morning to replace that section of pipe now. He's gonna run a camera into the cat to make sure it will still flow properly and then install it if it's good to go.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2017, 10:25:47 am by Gurgie »
You live everyday. You only die once....

Offline JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +112/-460
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda CR-V Sport, 2022 Honda Civic Si, 2020 Toyota Rav4 Hybrid XLE (traded in), 2020 VW Jetta GLI (Traded in), 2010 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited (sold), 2016 VW Golf R (Sold)
« Reply #7174 on: June 20, 2017, 10:25:12 am »
Order a few maintenance items from Rockauto a couple of weeks ago and put them in the Santa Fe over the weekend.  New front wipers, cabin air filter, and figured it's time to put some new headlight bulbs in (low and high beam).  First time I've ever replaced headlight bulbs and it wasn't too difficult.  Low beams was simple plug and play, but high beams had this metal clip that needed to be taken off in order to replace the bulb.  First one I didn't realize the clip was under pressure so the second I started to loosen the screw holding it in it flew out and down under the vehicle.  I found it under the vehicle and luckily the clip on the other side was the same so I had something to reference how to reinstall it.

Also did a full interior detail for the Santa Fe and have to say it's holding up really nicely.  Mind you we don't have kids and have under 90,000kms on the odo after 7+ years of ownership.  Still hoping to get another 3 years of relatively trouble free motoring until we replace both my wifes CUV and my Golf R.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #7175 on: June 20, 2017, 09:40:06 pm »
LS430 idle was quite high after the tune up.  I'm guessing something to do with cleaning the throttle body.  Unplugged battery for 10 minutes, hooked it back up and all is well...idle back to normal.

Offline goodsonr

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +18/-5
    • View Profile
« Reply #7176 on: June 20, 2017, 11:37:46 pm »
Wife was saying that charging light was coming on/off  in the Saabaru . but when I checked all indicator lights off and everything normal .. until the 3rd time I checked.  Was expecting low voltage at idle but ...  no ..20 volts !.  So replaced alternator and started car ... no dice ..  dead battery after sitting for  just  3 days.  So don't even know if new alternator is OK

Don't know if the battery was on the way out or if the 20 volts fried it but I guess I might have another "what I did on my car" entry coming up (charging battery now and will let it sit for a couple of days to see if it can hold a charge).  Battery is around 4 years old so maybe it's time was near anyway.

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-6812
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #7177 on: June 20, 2017, 11:56:07 pm »
Pull the fuel injection relay/fuse and measure the cranking voltage if in doubt.  Battery should be good for more than 4 years, but it does happen.  Previous alternator could have done it in.  Load test it when charged up.

Offline BWII

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +188/-376
    • View Profile
« Reply #7178 on: June 21, 2017, 08:43:33 am »
Also did a full interior detail for the Santa Fe and have to say it's holding up really nicely.  Mind you we don't have kids and have under 90,000kms on the odo after 7+ years of ownership.  Still hoping to get another 3 years of relatively trouble free motoring until we replace both my wifes CUV and my Golf R.

Why would you replace a Golf R? (so soon)  I thought these things were the cat's meow.  ??? I can see replacing the Hyundai after 10 yrs but why the VDub?  Do they start to break or is it more a preventative thing - get rid of it before the inevitable? 

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +255/-771
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 BMW 328i Touring, 1998 Jaguar XJR, 2024 Mini Cooper S
« Reply #7179 on: June 21, 2017, 09:06:16 am »

Why would you replace a Golf R? (so soon)  I thought these things were the cat's meow.  ??? I can see replacing the Hyundai after 10 yrs but why the VDub?  Do they start to break or is it more a preventative thing - get rid of it before the inevitable?

Because life is too short to keep the same car for so long.