Author Topic: What did you do to your car today?  (Read 3014002 times)

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
Re: What did you do to your car today?
« Reply #7120 on: June 09, 2017, 11:07:46 am »
Replaced the original battery this morning. Of course it went flat this morning when I had important things to do.

Of course it did!!

Yesterday I had to run a ton of errands and then of course drive us all to the kid's commencement so of course the Highlander picks up a huge nail in it's right rear tire and then throws it's very first CEL.  I still had the winter tires on as they're too thin to use next winter anyway, so I swapped the summers on and cleared the CEL, but that ate up some of my limited time.

It seems sometimes cars are like toddlers - "no, I want attention now!"

Offline carcrazed

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +39/-88
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Forester Touring; 2009 Civic EX-L
« Reply #7121 on: June 09, 2017, 11:11:05 am »
Replaced the original battery this morning. Of course it went flat this morning when I had important things to do.

Of course it did!!

Yesterday I had to run a ton of errands and then of course drive us all to the kid's commencement so of course the Highlander picks up a huge nail in it's right rear tire and then throws it's very first CEL.  I still had the winter tires on as they're too thin to use next winter anyway, so I swapped the summers on and cleared the CEL, but that ate up some of my limited time.

Not just toddlers, but humans in general.  ;D

Offline tortoise

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +236/-453
    • View Profile
« Reply #7122 on: June 09, 2017, 11:38:04 am »
Drove it to work, looks so tiny compared to the Golf wagon i parked next to!

Damn, that's one sexy machine.

And the Porsche looks good too.
Only the slow and dim know where they're going in life, and seldom is it worth the trip. - Tom Robbins.

Offline Gurgie

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-518
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Honda Passport Touring
« Reply #7123 on: June 09, 2017, 11:43:25 am »
:rofl: 

Thought of yours as I parked there this morning... you'll be needing a thule set-up like that for this winter's ski season  ;D
You live everyday. You only die once....

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #7124 on: June 09, 2017, 11:44:04 am »

Of course it did!!

Funny how these retired guys are so busy and don't have time anymore  :rofl2:

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +391/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
« Reply #7125 on: June 09, 2017, 12:00:26 pm »

Of course it did!!

Coffee with my buddies to :censor: about everybody is very important.  :rofl2:

To make matters worse, I had to use my bike to go buy another battery and we live at the top of the hill. Good thing I have some miles in my legs already.

Offline tortoise

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +236/-453
    • View Profile
« Reply #7126 on: June 09, 2017, 12:25:01 pm »

Thought of yours as I parked there this morning... you'll be needing a thule set-up like that for this winter's ski season  ;D

I bought the racks already.  Now I just need to pull the trigger on a box from kijiji.  They come up often enough in the $200-$250 range. I'm looking forward to no longer stuffing them inside the car.

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #7127 on: June 09, 2017, 03:09:52 pm »

I'll have you know I have a VERY busy schedule!  Things I need to fit into my day include...

A trail run of 10K or more

A trip to the weight room a few times a week

Some mountain biking

Maintaining our fleet of cars

Grocery shopping and cooking

Yard work

---  Holy crap, I'm tired from just typing all that...    ;D

Offline blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +244/-779
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
  • Cars: and bikes by age:BMW, Porsche, Subaru, Suzuki, Suzuki, Mazda, Jaguar, Kawasaki, Porsche, GMC, Suzuki
« Reply #7128 on: June 09, 2017, 08:10:58 pm »
Replaced a front turn signal lamp on the Cayenne.

Oddly, it wasn't blown, it was shorted.  I measured about 0.5 ohms.  I've never seen that before.
The Cayenne seems to have enough smarts to just say it's faulted and shut it off. 
Mr Pickypants

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7213
    • View Profile
« Reply #7129 on: June 09, 2017, 08:39:27 pm »

You need to park in the pink spots...my favorite parking spots!
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7213
    • View Profile
« Reply #7130 on: June 09, 2017, 08:40:36 pm »

I'll have you know I have a VERY busy schedule!  Things I need to fit into my day include...

A trail run of 10K or more

A trip to the weight room a few times a week

Some mountain biking

Maintaining our fleet of cars

Grocery shopping and cooking

Yard work

---  Holy crap, I'm tired from just typing all that...    ;D
Your wife is a saint for marrying a bum.

Offline craigq

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +12/-9
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 17FozXT, 18MiragePOS
« Reply #7131 on: June 11, 2017, 04:52:10 pm »
Oil change for the Golf, just because I wanted the break-in detritus out early. ::) 

Offline BWII

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +188/-376
    • View Profile
« Reply #7132 on: June 12, 2017, 08:55:15 am »
Changed oil in the truck...sometimes I wonder why I bother.  $10 + tax for a filter, 1 stupid 4.4 l jug of oil and then oh, I need another one (I did buy 2) but only for 1.3-5 more liters.  My kid is convinced Mobil 1 is the best so I bought it, the ultra performance blend (or something) which is good for 20,000 km!! Sure it is.  I changed oil last August with synthetic and only put 6800 km on since the last change and it was black as night...if I go 10,000 km this time it might still only be next June before the next one, so might as well stick with regular synthetic (my friend sells this stuff called Beaver Poop (no it's not) at Piston Ring...says it's just as good...it has extra zinc in it...and half the price...hmmmm).  In the end it still cost me around $58 so saved about $20+/-...but it's such a PITA on these things.  I'll console myself in the knowledge that it didn't take me over 2 hrs this time, and I only spilled about 2 l on the floor  :P ::).  I need a lift or taller ramps. Or say fack it and take it to Super Lube.

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +269/-457
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mazda CX-5
« Reply #7133 on: June 12, 2017, 11:42:56 am »
Changed oil in the truck...sometimes I wonder why I bother.  $10 + tax for a filter, 1 stupid 4.4 l jug of oil and then oh, I need another one (I did buy 2) but only for 1.3-5 more liters.  My kid is convinced Mobil 1 is the best so I bought it, the ultra performance blend (or something) which is good for 20,000 km!! Sure it is.  I changed oil last August with synthetic and only put 6800 km on since the last change and it was black as night...if I go 10,000 km this time it might still only be next June before the next one, so might as well stick with regular synthetic (my friend sells this stuff called Beaver Poop (no it's not) at Piston Ring...says it's just as good...it has extra zinc in it...and half the price...hmmmm).  In the end it still cost me around $58 so saved about $20+/-...but it's such a PITA on these things.  I'll console myself in the knowledge that it didn't take me over 2 hrs this time, and I only spilled about 2 l on the floor  :P ::).  I need a lift or taller ramps. Or say fack it and take it to Super Lube.

That's my problem.  I did the last oil change on the van, and I didn't really save much compared to taking it to SuperLube.  AND I made a bit of a mess in my driveway.  I'm just not entirely convinced it's worth the hassle.

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2121
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2020 Toyota Tundra, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #7134 on: June 12, 2017, 11:49:39 am »

This is why I do not do oil changes at home, replace a clutch, sure, oil change, nope. I always make a Exxon Valdez sized mess in the garage and then have used oil kicking around for the best part of a decade as I always forget to bring the used stuff to the Eco station. Not enough of a cost benefit to me.
Lighten up Francis.....

Offline Firm

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +232/-1072
  • Urban Hick
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 XKR, 2007 DTS, 2006 Escalade, 2000 Sonoma ZQ8,1996 Firebird, 1996 Firebird Formula, 1985 Trans Am, 1984 Camaro, 1978 MGB x2
« Reply #7135 on: June 12, 2017, 12:12:04 pm »
^ I am in the same boat most of the time. Although, I did the SLK myself a couple weeks ago...ZERO mess :D I was quite proud.

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #7136 on: June 12, 2017, 12:15:55 pm »
^ I am in the same boat most of the time. Although, I did the SLK myself a couple weeks ago...ZERO mess :D I was quite proud.

The last time I did the Jeep, oil filter slipped out of my hand, landed in the drain pan and it was like I threw a hand grenade in the pan as oil went EVERYWHERE.....that was the last straw, I said f#$k it!!

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #7137 on: June 12, 2017, 01:44:37 pm »
Woohoo....can't wait to do the Jeeps plastic

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

Offline mlin32

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +65/-419
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Peugeot 308 GT; 2015 Yamaha YZF-R3
« Reply #7138 on: June 12, 2017, 01:46:46 pm »
Interesting.........I do oil changes on my bike and the 325i, and make very little mess. In fact, I do these in the appartement car park, which generally isn't endorsed in the guidelines but since I've never made a mess. I put some cardboard or newspapers around the oil pan, have a fairly good idea of how the oil is going to spurt out when opening the drain plug, and it's all good.

The 3er is a b*tch to work on though......the lowered sport suspension offers no space even when using a special floor jack.
ø cons: Peugeot 308: Yamaha R3 [/URL]

Offline tooscoops

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +325/-227
  • "stealership" employee
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '75 AMC Pacer, '70 Morgan 4/4, '21 Pacifica Hybrid, '21 Wrangler Rubicon
« Reply #7139 on: June 12, 2017, 02:30:06 pm »
yep... one spill and you realize it isn't worth it to save ten bucks (for most oil changes)... plus, my shop is finally extra nice to me and does it pretty darn cheap for me...

so the renegade... it had those black steelies from for factory. so i put my winters on there and figured i'd find some rims to throw the original all seasons on eventually... finally found some, so got them put on there... wouldn't you know it, there isn't enough clearance on the fronts with those damn bigger brakes. knocked the wheel weights right off, plus touched the caliper... so had to get spacers. boo... don't like doing that. did the job though and my wife is happy.
i used to be addicted to soap, but i'm clean now