Author Topic: What did you do to your car today?  (Read 3013987 times)

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +255/-771
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 BMW 328i Touring, 1998 Jaguar XJR, 2024 Mini Cooper S
Re: What did you do to your car today?
« Reply #7100 on: May 31, 2017, 10:43:09 am »
I was also going to have a carbon cleaning done, but, surprisingly, the shop talked me out of it. They said if there's no CEL and I haven't noticed any driveability issues, may as well just leave it alone. They say they're starting to see fuel injector failures on these cars, so it would suck to take everything apart for the carbon cleaning, then pay all over again 6 months later to take it apart again to replace fuel injectors.

Funny because the VW dealer keeps trying to convince me to have carbon cleaning done on my GTI, even though there's no CEL or drivability issues.

Offline HeliDriver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +176/-235
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Crosstrek Sport 6MT; 2011 Yukon XL 2500
« Reply #7101 on: May 31, 2017, 10:49:29 am »
I was also going to have a carbon cleaning done, but, surprisingly, the shop talked me out of it. They said if there's no CEL and I haven't noticed any driveability issues, may as well just leave it alone. They say they're starting to see fuel injector failures on these cars, so it would suck to take everything apart for the carbon cleaning, then pay all over again 6 months later to take it apart again to replace fuel injectors.

Funny because the VW dealer keeps trying to convince me to have carbon cleaning done on my GTI, even though there's no CEL or drivability issues.

Yeah, it's an indie shop and so far they seem pretty good. Took me almost a month to get an appointment, so I guess they don't feel the need to drum up extra work like a dealership might?

Offline tortoise

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +236/-453
    • View Profile
« Reply #7102 on: May 31, 2017, 11:28:18 am »
Seeing as service advisors often get commission on the work that's sold it's not surprising that a dealer will push for more service.

I also like to have the slider pins serviced since the salt and grime can really take their toll.

Changed the oil on the GTI. It was kind of silly because it's booked into the shop on Wednesday for new coolant and brake fluid, but I realized I had 3 new oil filters and 10 liters of oil in the garage, so figured I may as well use some of it up.

And with the oil extractor it's a breeze: took me all of twenty minutes, never had to get down on the ground, and didn't spill a drop of oil!

SO jealous.  All previous TDIs had the filter location in the same location as the TSI's.  For whatever reason, the EA288 TDI engine has it in a spot that's totally inaccessible. It's a pain to get to and requires unplugging an electrical connector to get the filter out.  Stupid.  Fortunately there's a good VAG indie near us.  But I would have preferred to be able to easily do it myself.
Only the slow and dim know where they're going in life, and seldom is it worth the trip. - Tom Robbins.

Offline Lower Level

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +40/-82
  • Roadrash
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 1985 Oldsmobile Delta 88 Royale, 1989 Dodge B250 aka The BEAST.
« Reply #7103 on: June 01, 2017, 11:52:18 am »
Might not seem like much but yesterday I got the license stickers on both and the insurance slips done. It's nice to accomplish SOMETHING!! Took me an hour to do the stickers, 10 minutes usually but still dead tired. Getting better though. It's nice to be able to drive again!

I also corrected my mistake from last year. The Olds had the sticker off the van. Oops! You'd think having both plates within one digit of each other would be easier but I find I have to stop and think every time! Only that last digit is different and I cn never quite remember which is which!!   :rofl2:

Also, paid the insurance on both today.  ;D
Den
Reporter: "How does it feel being Henry Ford II?"
HF II: "I wouldn't know, I've never been anyone else."

Offline goodsonr

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +18/-5
    • View Profile
« Reply #7104 on: June 01, 2017, 12:29:39 pm »
waved it goodbye...

Took the 95 Subie Legacy Wagon out for one of its monthly spins around the block and 1/2-way through the drive it almost stalled .. started running really rough and the CEL started flashing.  Now, at idle, the engine is doing a bit of a pogo-dance (well .. not so bad, but a lot more vibration that it used to).  I could guess at a number of potential problems/fixes from minor to catastrophic, but I just don't want to spend the time & money because...

- I was keeping the car mostly for the kids.  But neither has shown any interest in learning to drive and I'm not going to push them on that either-way.

- I am more interested in the next future purchase of whatever will form the basis of my desired teeny campervan.

- The car was mostly in storage at the MIL.  But she is moving so storage becomes an issue .. especially if I buy something else

- For whatever reason, the insurance quote came in much higher than last year.  I could probably get it back down but .. as above .. would rather spend my money (and time) elsewhere.

So .. after 20+ years -- bye bye Subie.

Offline carcrazed

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +39/-88
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Forester Touring; 2009 Civic EX-L
« Reply #7105 on: June 01, 2017, 12:33:33 pm »
waved it goodbye...

Took the 95 Subie Legacy Wagon out for one of its monthly spins around the block and 1/2-way through the drive it almost stalled .. started running really rough and the CEL started flashing.  Now, at idle, the engine is doing a bit of a pogo-dance (well .. not so bad, but a lot more vibration that it used to).  I could guess at a number of potential problems/fixes from minor to catastrophic, but I just don't want to spend the time & money because...

- I was keeping the car mostly for the kids.  But neither has shown any interest in learning to drive and I'm not going to push them on that either-way.

- I am more interested in the next future purchase of whatever will form the basis of my desired teeny campervan.

- The car was mostly in storage at the MIL.  But she is moving so storage becomes an issue .. especially if I buy something else

- For whatever reason, the insurance quote came in much higher than last year.  I could probably get it back down but .. as above .. would rather spend my money (and time) elsewhere.

So .. after 20+ years -- bye bye Subie.

How many KMs were on her?  I wouldn't want to put my kids in a 20+yr. old car anyway. :D

Offline goodsonr

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +18/-5
    • View Profile
« Reply #7106 on: June 01, 2017, 12:42:59 pm »
only about 250K .. hasn't been driven much the last few years.

For the kids it was going to be an in-town car only, which reduces some of the risks (a bit).  While I can't disagree  putting them in a 20+ year old car is not ideal (from a safety perspective).. I was willing to put them in the back seat of the same-car which was probably less-safe than sitting in the front seat.  So .. woulda been an upgrade for them  :D

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #7107 on: June 01, 2017, 12:46:47 pm »
Might not seem like much but yesterday I got the license stickers on both and the insurance slips done. It's nice to accomplish SOMETHING!! Took me an hour to do the stickers, 10 minutes usually but still dead tired. Getting better though. It's nice to be able to drive again!

I also corrected my mistake from last year. The Olds had the sticker off the van. Oops! You'd think having both plates within one digit of each other would be easier but I find I have to stop and think every time! Only that last digit is different and I cn never quite remember which is which!!   :rofl2:

Did you know you can order the sticker on line and they will mail it to you

Offline Lower Level

• Auto Obsessed
  • Roadrash
    • View Profile
« Reply #7108 on: June 01, 2017, 12:55:52 pm »

Did you know you can order the sticker on line and they will mail it to you

Yes. I've had them since April................... :rofl2:

Offline tortoise

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +236/-453
    • View Profile
« Reply #7109 on: June 01, 2017, 12:58:24 pm »
I had a new windshield installed in the Mazda. A massive crack appeared right in the field of view.

I really need to sell that thing.

Offline Lower Level

• Auto Obsessed
  • Roadrash
    • View Profile
« Reply #7110 on: June 04, 2017, 11:06:51 am »
Well, Friday as I haven't been online much since to post it.

Since mid winter two of the compartment locks have been seized on the van: Water tank and house batteries plug.

So Friday I wanted to fill the water tank and get a charge on the batteries (Especially since the power the sound system via 1 Farad capacitor.) but still stuck.

I've actually got a full set of locks I ordered a year or so go but have avoided so far installing.

I phone my mechanic for advice on how much pressure I should risk before a key breaks or whether to risk a scredriver and he says "I think maybeyou should run it over here and I'll take a look."

Okay.

So, after 10 minutes of him using a screwdriver/etc and lubing them up they once again work.

Cost? No charge.

So a good weekend.

I figure too I must be starting to feel better if I'm getting into a tinkering mood!!  ;D

Offline carcrazed

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +39/-88
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Forester Touring; 2009 Civic EX-L
« Reply #7111 on: June 05, 2017, 08:36:24 am »

Since mid winter two of the compartment locks have been seized on the van: Water tank and house batteries plug.

So Friday I wanted to fill the water tank and get a charge on the batteries (Especially since the power the sound system via 1 Farad capacitor.) but still stuck.

I've actually got a full set of locks I ordered a year or so go but have avoided so far installing.

I phone my mechanic for advice on how much pressure I should risk before a key breaks or whether to risk a scredriver and he says "I think maybeyou should run it over here and I'll take a look."

Okay.

So, after 10 minutes of him using a screwdriver/etc and lubing them up they once again work.

Cost? No charge.

So a good weekend.

I figure too I must be starting to feel better if I'm getting into a tinkering mood!!  ;D

That's great to hear LL.

I need to get myself to get rid of a long scratch along the bottom of my right side doors.  It looks like someone dragged something right across it, almost intentionally.  >:(

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +117/-442
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Land Rover LR4, Honda Ridgeline, Husqvarna FE501
« Reply #7112 on: June 05, 2017, 01:34:52 pm »
Drove the LR4 to the shop. Coolant leaking from where the pump was replaced 6 weeks ago.

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2121
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2020 Toyota Tundra, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #7113 on: June 05, 2017, 01:36:00 pm »

Okay.

Cost? No charge.

So a good weekend.

Great to hear you are out and about LL!!!!  :banana: :banana: :thumbup:
Lighten up Francis.....

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #7114 on: June 05, 2017, 03:01:18 pm »
Drove the LR4 to the shop. Coolant leaking from where the pump was replaced 6 weeks ago.
Can you post this in https://www.autos.ca/forum/index.php?topic=75028.0  ;D

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2121
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2020 Toyota Tundra, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #7115 on: June 05, 2017, 03:02:28 pm »
:rofl: :rofl:

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +117/-442
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Land Rover LR4, Honda Ridgeline, Husqvarna FE501
« Reply #7116 on: June 05, 2017, 07:16:12 pm »
:rofl: :rofl:

:rofl2:

Serves me right for not turning the wrenches on this repair. I have a sneaking suspicion that the problem was one of incorrect install the first time. Probably cracked one of the many plastic fittings in and around the pump. See what being lazy and taking the easy way out gets you?.

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #7117 on: June 05, 2017, 08:25:02 pm »
Drove the Forester on my errands today and filled it with gas.  The old gal is great!  With a bunch of new parts she feels better than in a long time.  All new brakes (calipers in the rear), rear struts and some misc stuff and the car tracks straight and drives nicely.  now to swap the summer tires on and she's good to go for some time!

I'd day we saved at least $800 on labour and the kid and I had a ton of fun spinning wrenches and occasionally swearing ourselves silly.  She also learned a ton, which is the best part of the whole thing.

Offline Gurgie

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-518
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Honda Passport Touring
« Reply #7118 on: June 09, 2017, 07:47:04 am »
Drove it to work, looks so tiny compared to the Golf wagon i parked next to!

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

« Last Edit: June 09, 2017, 07:53:26 am by Gurgie »
You live everyday. You only die once....

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +391/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
« Reply #7119 on: June 09, 2017, 11:00:08 am »
Replaced the original battery this morning. Of course it went flat this morning when I had important things to do.