Author Topic: What did you do to your car today?  (Read 3013859 times)

Offline gogs2

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +0/-2
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Mercedes
Re: What did you do to your car today?
« Reply #7060 on: May 17, 2017, 05:41:48 pm »
And my light for airbag failure says that I have to leave my car to the doctor, too :)

Offline 2JDM

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +119/-141
    • View Profile
« Reply #7061 on: May 22, 2017, 06:18:59 pm »
Didn't do anything to my car but I gave my garage a quick coat of paint and put some car posters up! A much better improvement vs. the drywall slabs.

Next I need to upgrade the lighting. Currently I have 1 single light bulb (CFL) and 2 incandescent bulbs in the door opener. A simple solution is to replace all bulbs with 100 W equivalent LEDs, but I heard that you can't use LED bulbs in door openers because of signal interference??  ??? I don't wanna spend too much money for this.

Offline goodsonr

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +18/-5
    • View Profile
« Reply #7062 on: May 22, 2017, 06:41:35 pm »
I heard that you can't use LED bulbs in door openers because of signal interference??

Interesting .. I had never heard this.  But, ignorance is bliss as I have had LED bulb in in my garage opener for a couple of years with no problem so I'll just pretend I never read your post.

Offline KD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +359/-263
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Frontier Pro-4X, 2013 Lexus GS-350
« Reply #7063 on: May 22, 2017, 07:05:25 pm »
I heard that you can't use LED bulbs in door openers because of signal interference??

Interesting .. I had never heard this.  But, ignorance is bliss as I have had LED bulb in in my garage opener for a couple of years with no problem so I'll just pretend I never read your post.

No problem with LEDs in my door openers.  Cheapies too!

Offline Firm

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +232/-1072
  • Urban Hick
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 XKR, 2007 DTS, 2006 Escalade, 2000 Sonoma ZQ8,1996 Firebird, 1996 Firebird Formula, 1985 Trans Am, 1984 Camaro, 1978 MGB x2
« Reply #7064 on: May 22, 2017, 09:04:35 pm »
Saturday morning I started the day by replacing the EVAP Purge Solenoid in the Escalade....Damn Evap codes. Then I pulled the Sonoma & SLK outta the garage for the first time this year, ran them both around the neighbour hood & cleaned up in the garage. Then I went to my grandma's place and did some work on the MGB....re-wired the fuel pump and attempted to replace the alternator (the one on it is fried). Turns out the spare alternator I had is actually an older design and it would require too much re-wiring to make it work, so I am gunna have to source a replacement this week and get it back together....Came home to do yard work and open the hot tub.

Sunday was crappy weather, so the only car related thing I did was take the MGB air cleaner assembly apart and repainted it.

Monday was an oil change for the SLK, and while I was at it I washed all the under tray panels and waxed the underside of the hood. Then I washed the SS and called it a day.

Offline Bubba

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +382/-442
  • Vice President, Autos.ca Arizona Operations
    • View Profile
    • My photo site
  • Cars: 2013 Toyota Corolla LE
« Reply #7065 on: May 22, 2017, 09:24:33 pm »
Saturday morning I started the day by replacing the EVAP Purge Solenoid in the Escalade....Damn Evap codes. Then I pulled the Sonoma & SLK outta the garage for the first time this year, ran them both around the neighbour hood & cleaned up in the garage. Then I went to my grandma's place and did some work on the MGB....re-wired the fuel pump and attempted to replace the alternator (the one on it is fried). Turns out the spare alternator I had is actually an older design and it would require too much re-wiring to make it work, so I am gunna have to source a replacement this week and get it back together....Came home to do yard work and open the hot tub.

Sunday was crappy weather, so the only car related thing I did was take the MGB air cleaner assembly apart and repainted it.

Monday was an oil change for the SLK, and while I was at it I washed all the under tray panels and waxed the underside of the hood. Then I washed the SS and called it a day.

You're a regular Jay Leno, but he has a staff to help with the cars.
My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government. - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Firm

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +232/-1072
  • Urban Hick
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 XKR, 2007 DTS, 2006 Escalade, 2000 Sonoma ZQ8,1996 Firebird, 1996 Firebird Formula, 1985 Trans Am, 1984 Camaro, 1978 MGB x2
« Reply #7066 on: May 22, 2017, 09:38:10 pm »
Yeah...That's the problem. I cant't/don't want to keep up. There's just too many, you fix one, turn around and something else is broken/dirty/in need of maintenance. It is time to thin the herd...

Offline Gurgie

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-518
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Honda Passport Touring
« Reply #7067 on: May 22, 2017, 11:17:08 pm »
Yeah...That's the problem. I cant't/don't want to keep up. There's just too many, you fix one, turn around and something else is broken/dirty/in need of maintenance. It is time to thin the herd...
??? WOW!!! Never thought I'd read that!?

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

You live everyday. You only die once....

Offline 5 Wheel Drive

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +88/-20
    • View Profile
  • Cars: My Mazda fleet: 2014 CX9 GS, 2013 Mazda 3 GX, 1997 Miata
« Reply #7068 on: May 24, 2017, 09:55:30 am »
Didn't do anything to my car but I gave my garage a quick coat of paint and put some car posters up! A much better improvement vs. the drywall slabs.

Next I need to upgrade the lighting. Currently I have 1 single light bulb (CFL) and 2 incandescent bulbs in the door opener. A simple solution is to replace all bulbs with 100 W equivalent LEDs, but I heard that you can't use LED bulbs in door openers because of signal interference??  ??? I don't wanna spend too much money for this.
I've got led bulbs in my garage door opener as well.  There doesn't seem to be any issues.  Last year I replaced the single keyless fixture in the ceiling with a 4' led strip light.  It just looks like a fluorescent fixture from the outside.  The light color is daylight (5000k), so it's nice and bright in there.
"This is no Playstation, this.  There is no reset button if you get it wrong.  You just go through the pearly gates...on fire!"   -Jeremy Clarkson

Offline JG20

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +24/-46
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 Subaru WRX STI, 2022 Acura MDX (wifey's)
« Reply #7069 on: May 24, 2017, 11:35:03 am »

I've got led bulbs in my garage door opener as well.  There doesn't seem to be any issues.  Last year I replaced the single keyless fixture in the ceiling with a 4' led strip light.  It just looks like a fluorescent fixture from the outside.  The light color is daylight (5000k), so it's nice and bright in there.

My only issue with LED is it can take time to light up to full brightness when it's freezing out.  Sucks when it's -15 out and you want to run in to the garage to grab something and it takes a couple minutes to be able to see anything.

Offline blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +244/-779
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
  • Cars: and bikes by age:BMW, Porsche, Subaru, Suzuki, Suzuki, Mazda, Jaguar, Kawasaki, Porsche, GMC, Suzuki
« Reply #7070 on: May 24, 2017, 12:24:37 pm »

My only issue with LED is it can take time to light up to full brightness when it's freezing out.  Sucks when it's -15 out and you want to run in to the garage to grab something and it takes a couple minutes to be able to see anything.

I thought only CFL lamps did that?   Not much experience with LED, but I didn't think they came on slowly
Mr Pickypants

Offline JG20

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +24/-46
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 Subaru WRX STI, 2022 Acura MDX (wifey's)
« Reply #7071 on: May 24, 2017, 01:12:32 pm »

I thought only CFL lamps did that?   Not much experience with LED, but I didn't think they came on slowly

Only happens to the one in my garage when it's really cold.  All the ones indoors are instant on.

Offline BWII

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +188/-376
    • View Profile
« Reply #7072 on: May 25, 2017, 01:00:45 am »

Do tell when you start so we can all wish upon a star...

Offline carcrazed

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +39/-88
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Forester Touring; 2009 Civic EX-L
« Reply #7073 on: May 25, 2017, 01:03:30 pm »

That's a good point. I'll keep my opener lights as they are, but change the ceiling light to LED.

Sent from my LG G6 using Tapatalk

Offline 84im

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +24/-81
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 BMW X1, 2003 Chevy Tracker, 1974 VW Dune Buggy, and 1974 VW Thing
« Reply #7074 on: May 26, 2017, 01:59:45 pm »
The tranny and engine are back in the Thing.  Of course I couldn't leave well enough alone and ordered a new exhaust system, which will be arriving a a week or so.

I have a few more things to fix before I can fire her up.  The old clutch cable is too long, so I had to order a shorter cable.  Unfortunately, on air cooled VWs I have to take out the entire pedal assembly to pull out the clutch cable.  :P

Even though I drew diagrams and took pictures with my iPhone I still don't know where a couple of wires in the engine compartment go. :-[
Thank goodness for the internet.

Getting close.  :)

A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kickboxing.

Offline Lower Level

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +40/-82
  • Roadrash
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 1985 Oldsmobile Delta 88 Royale, 1989 Dodge B250 aka The BEAST.
« Reply #7075 on: May 26, 2017, 02:29:18 pm »
Is that the THING that was for sale a Pfaff a while back?

Love it.
Den
Reporter: "How does it feel being Henry Ford II?"
HF II: "I wouldn't know, I've never been anyone else."

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +245/-468
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Hyundai Entourage, 2007 Buick Lucerne
« Reply #7076 on: May 26, 2017, 06:33:31 pm »

Do tell when you start so we can all wish upon a star...

I am sure we will have a separate thread, with a bidding war.

Offline KD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +359/-263
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Frontier Pro-4X, 2013 Lexus GS-350
« Reply #7077 on: May 26, 2017, 10:01:44 pm »
^^^ Love the colour of that Thing! It suits it perfectly!  :thumbup:

Offline 84im

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +24/-81
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 BMW X1, 2003 Chevy Tracker, 1974 VW Dune Buggy, and 1974 VW Thing
« Reply #7078 on: May 27, 2017, 11:14:28 am »
Is that the THING that was for sale a Pfaff a while back?

Love it.

No-bought it off a guy in Port Alberni (Vancouver Island).

Offline Bubba

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +382/-442
  • Vice President, Autos.ca Arizona Operations
    • View Profile
    • My photo site
  • Cars: 2013 Toyota Corolla LE
« Reply #7079 on: May 27, 2017, 01:01:18 pm »
Make sure you record the first start up. Looking forward to it!