Author Topic: What did you do to your car today?  (Read 3013603 times)

Offline Bubba

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +382/-442
  • Vice President, Autos.ca Arizona Operations
    • View Profile
    • My photo site
  • Cars: 2013 Toyota Corolla LE
Re: What did you do to your car today?
« Reply #7020 on: May 07, 2017, 11:53:25 pm »
Haha. Thanks for the positive vibes guys. I took like 130 photos, I need to go through them and pick the decent ones....I am no photographer so there's for sure tons of garbage.

That's always been my mantra: take lots of pics and there's bound to be a few good ones.
My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government. - Thomas Jefferson

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +255/-771
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 BMW 328i Touring, 1998 Jaguar XJR, 2024 Mini Cooper S
« Reply #7021 on: May 08, 2017, 08:27:46 am »
Spend a few hours detailing the S2000 today.  Washed it first, then clay bar, then a layer of Poor Boys polish followed by a final layer of Poor Boys sealant wax.  I'll do the interior tomorrow.  Drinking beer now after a nice drive.   :)

Damn that car looks good!

Offline mlin32

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +65/-419
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Peugeot 308 GT; 2015 Yamaha YZF-R3
« Reply #7022 on: May 08, 2017, 08:41:23 am »
Drove 450km to CLT and back. Also added a litre of oil.
ø cons: Peugeot 308: Yamaha R3 [/URL]

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2121
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2020 Toyota Tundra, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #7023 on: May 08, 2017, 10:43:07 am »
Spend a few hours detailing the S2000 today.  Washed it first, then clay bar, then a layer of Poor Boys polish followed by a final layer of Poor Boys sealant wax.  I'll do the interior tomorrow.  Drinking beer now after a nice drive.   :)

Damn thats a great looking car. Too bad Honda has completely lost its mojo.
Lighten up Francis.....

Offline JG20

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +24/-46
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 Subaru WRX STI, 2022 Acura MDX (wifey's)
« Reply #7024 on: May 08, 2017, 10:56:27 am »
Weather sorta broke, at least it was dry, so I got some work done on the Camaro SS. Finished touching up stone chips, oil change, fresh air filter and a little more engine bay detailing.
Then I decided to take some decent pics of it, since I only had a few cell phone quality units...that became taking photos with Mrs.Firm...which became pulling the other F-bodies out to get a few group shots. I am 100% certain that if the neighbours didn't think we were insane before this has confirmed it for them...

I think you need to build a glass enclosure around your driveway so it's like a showcase  ;D.

Was gonna ask you, do you insure all your cars?  That must cost a pretty penny.  I was contemplating keeping my old Mazdaspeed as a beater but insurance would have cost the same as if it was being driven full time.  So 3 cars and 2 drivers would be about the same cost as 3 cars and 3 drivers  ::)

Offline 84im

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +24/-81
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 BMW X1, 2003 Chevy Tracker, 1974 VW Dune Buggy, and 1974 VW Thing
« Reply #7025 on: May 08, 2017, 11:05:55 am »
Interesting setup. This might be silly, but why does that engine compartment need to be sealed anyway?

The engine is air cooled, so the cooler the air is the cooler the engine will run (both oil and cylinder head).  If the hot air underneath the engine tin (from the engine heads, exhaust, and hot air exiting through the oil cooler) is allowed to rise up into the engine compartment and back into the shroud/fan, which cools the engine, the engine temps go up, and that's not a good thing.
A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kickboxing.

Offline tortoise

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +236/-453
    • View Profile
« Reply #7026 on: May 08, 2017, 11:07:57 am »
Ordered winter mats and a cargo liner for the Wagon.

Went with Findway over Weathertech.  I wasn't super happy with my last set of Weathertechs, they had a bow on them so they never fit dead on and they looked crappy over time due to all the scrapes.

The Findway ones have a waterproof carpeting, get good reviews and are 1/3 the price.

The cargo liner is a rubber mat from Travall.  I looked at the VW mat but it was a slippery plastic. I wanted something that would stop stuff from sliding all over. Bonus that it was $25 cheaper.
Only the slow and dim know where they're going in life, and seldom is it worth the trip. - Tom Robbins.

Offline Firm

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +232/-1072
  • Urban Hick
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 XKR, 2007 DTS, 2006 Escalade, 2000 Sonoma ZQ8,1996 Firebird, 1996 Firebird Formula, 1985 Trans Am, 1984 Camaro, 1978 MGB x2
« Reply #7027 on: May 08, 2017, 11:22:43 am »
Interesting setup. This might be silly, but why does that engine compartment need to be sealed anyway?

The engine is air cooled, so the cooler the air is the cooler the engine will run (both oil and cylinder head).  If the hot air underneath the engine tin (from the engine heads, exhaust, and hot air exiting through the oil cooler) is allowed to rise up into the engine compartment and back into the shroud/fan, which cools the engine, the engine temps go up, and that's not a good thing.

Sounds reasonable. Thanks for the explanation, I figured it was an air cooled thing.

Offline Firm

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +232/-1072
  • Urban Hick
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 XKR, 2007 DTS, 2006 Escalade, 2000 Sonoma ZQ8,1996 Firebird, 1996 Firebird Formula, 1985 Trans Am, 1984 Camaro, 1978 MGB x2
« Reply #7028 on: May 08, 2017, 11:27:01 am »
I think you need to build a glass enclosure around your driveway so it's like a showcase  ;D.

Was gonna ask you, do you insure all your cars?  That must cost a pretty penny.  I was contemplating keeping my old Mazdaspeed as a beater but insurance would have cost the same as if it was being driven full time.  So 3 cars and 2 drivers would be about the same cost as 3 cars and 3 drivers  ::)

I am for anything that gets me more covered parking...

I do insure everything, but all through Hagerty Classic/Speciality Car insurance which ranges between $150-450/year per car. The true old stuff (older than 30 years) is the cheapest, they don't love covering anything newer, but if you provide them pictures and such to prove it's not a DD they'll do it....SLK is the highest at about $450/year.
I do have normal insurance on the Escalade and Firebird (designated DD's) and the Sonoma because Hagerty won't accept a 17 year old truck....

Offline KD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +359/-263
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Frontier Pro-4X, 2013 Lexus GS-350
« Reply #7029 on: May 08, 2017, 11:51:23 am »

You got that right!  We are sort-of/kinda car shopping for a dd now and for the first time i can remember a Honda is not even being considered.  The RL is ok, I suppose, just not what we are looking for right now. 

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #7030 on: May 08, 2017, 11:56:15 am »

You got that right!  We are sort-of/kinda car shopping for a dd now and for the first time i can remember a Honda is not even being considered.  The RL is ok, I suppose, just not what we are looking for right now.

I totally get ya, there is literally nothing in the Honda/Acura world that is even mildly interesting.

Offline 5 Wheel Drive

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +88/-20
    • View Profile
  • Cars: My Mazda fleet: 2014 CX9 GS, 2013 Mazda 3 GX, 1997 Miata
« Reply #7031 on: May 08, 2017, 02:10:28 pm »
Weather sorta broke, at least it was dry, so I got some work done on the Camaro SS. Finished touching up stone chips, oil change, fresh air filter and a little more engine bay detailing.
Then I decided to take some decent pics of it, since I only had a few cell phone quality units...that became taking photos with Mrs.Firm...which became pulling the other F-bodies out to get a few group shots. I am 100% certain that if the neighbours didn't think we were insane before this has confirmed it for them...

Nice fleet!

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

"This is no Playstation, this.  There is no reset button if you get it wrong.  You just go through the pearly gates...on fire!"   -Jeremy Clarkson

Offline 5 Wheel Drive

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #7032 on: May 08, 2017, 02:11:17 pm »

Love it...the car looks great!

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

Offline 5 Wheel Drive

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #7033 on: May 08, 2017, 02:18:30 pm »
Installed my Hella H4 lights in the Miata yesterday.  BIG difference even just turning them on in the garage.  Much whiter light than the old sealed beams.  Maybe one day it will stop raining and I can drive it again...

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #7034 on: May 08, 2017, 02:21:42 pm »

Hats off to you, thats quite the unique fleet!!!

Offline Railton

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +243/-156
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Infiniti QX60 Touring, 2010 Infiniti G37S 6M, 2020 Hyundai Kona 1.6T Trend
« Reply #7035 on: May 08, 2017, 02:31:53 pm »

Boss!
Railton
Do you realize that in about 30 (updated as requested) years, we'll have millions of old ladies running around with tattoos?

Offline wing

• Big Wig
  • Administrator
  • Carma: +279/-320
  • If you ain't first ... you're last!
    • View Profile
    • Drivesideways
  • Cars: 2009 Lexus ISF, 2009 Lexus LX570,2011 Audi A5 Touring Car
« Reply #7036 on: May 08, 2017, 07:10:50 pm »
Sanded it?  Ugh when I bought the ISF the guy told me he had the front bumper repainted because of scratches.  It was mint.

Well the clear coat started to peel off, I noticed on Saturday.  Huge chunk of clear gone.

I figured I would just sand down the edges where it was peeling and reclear that area, it was low enough so may not look bad.

Well apparently that respray was a cheap job because even with 2000 grit I was through the clear, paint and primer in seconds!

Oh well, off to the body shop for a repaint. 

Offline Serniter

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +40/-20
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Lexus ES350
« Reply #7037 on: May 08, 2017, 07:48:58 pm »
Sanded it?  Ugh when I bought the ISF the guy told me he had the front bumper repainted because of scratches.  It was mint.

Well the clear coat started to peel off, I noticed on Saturday.  Huge chunk of clear gone.

I figured I would just sand down the edges where it was peeling and reclear that area, it was low enough so may not look bad.

Well apparently that respray was a cheap job because even with 2000 grit I was through the clear, paint and primer in seconds!

Oh well, off to the body shop for a repaint.

That sucks. On the bright side, you have control over the quality of repaint now.

Offline 2JDM

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +119/-141
    • View Profile
« Reply #7038 on: May 08, 2017, 09:29:16 pm »
Looking great guys!!!
Ordered winter mats and a cargo liner for the Wagon.

Went with Findway over Weathertech.  I wasn't super happy with my last set of Weathertechs, they had a bow on them so they never fit dead on and they looked crappy over time due to all the scrapes.

The Findway ones have a waterproof carpeting, get good reviews and are 1/3 the price.

The cargo liner is a rubber mat from Travall.  I looked at the VW mat but it was a slippery plastic. I wanted something that would stop stuff from sliding all over. Bonus that it was $25 cheaper.

I have the Findway mats in my 128i and I only use them for winter. The salt washes right off with no scrubbing. Excellent product for 1/3 the price.

Offline KD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +359/-263
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Frontier Pro-4X, 2013 Lexus GS-350
« Reply #7039 on: May 09, 2017, 06:21:08 pm »
Took advantage of the crappy weather and washed the interiors last night and tonight.  Really glad i put the new led lighting in the garage last year too.  That was well worth the effort! 

Good view of how far back the engine sits in the bay. 

I also like that you can see the actual engine and not some plastic shroud covering up everything.

« Last Edit: May 09, 2017, 06:24:58 pm by KDS2K »