Author Topic: What did you do to your car today?  (Read 3013209 times)

Online Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +269/-457
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mazda CX-5
Re: What did you do to your car today?
« Reply #6920 on: April 13, 2017, 09:35:57 am »
Yeah, that looks great! Is there a sealant or something you can put on it to keep it protected and help prevent the dirt from sticking to it? The painted parts you can polish/wax, not sure about that textured stuff though...

The roof and 4 sides are all textured.  The thought of wax passed through my head, and the idea of wax filling all those crevasses with no way to get it out again quickly pushed that thought out again.  I'm not sure if there is a sealant.  Something sprayable would probably work, although I'm thinking if I just wash the thing every spring, it should keep it pretty clean.  This time it looked like it had 10 years of dirt on it, so it's possible that if I maintain it every year, it will be a lot easier to clean each time. 

As I'm going through it washing it and fixing all the little wear and tear items, I'm thinking to myself that when I'm done it will easily be worth twice what I paid for it.  Maybe next year I can flip it for a tidy profit and get something bigger with a slideout, lol (kinda kidding, but not really).

I inspected the battery last night, too.  It looks pooched.  Certainly, there is no current coming from it.  I'm not sure if I'm willing to replace it.  Deep Cycle batteries are not cheap, but it would be handy if we ever camp somewhere where there is no power.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2017, 09:40:41 am by Great_Big_Abyss »

Offline Gurgie

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-518
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Honda Passport Touring
« Reply #6921 on: April 13, 2017, 09:46:28 am »
^wonder if you used Rain-x on it, if that would help repel sh!t a bit?

Also, for the deep cycle batter, go to Costco.
You live everyday. You only die once....

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +245/-468
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Hyundai Entourage, 2007 Buick Lucerne
« Reply #6922 on: April 13, 2017, 09:49:47 am »
Yeah, that looks great! Is there a sealant or something you can put on it to keep it protected and help prevent the dirt from sticking to it? The painted parts you can polish/wax, not sure about that textured stuff though...

The roof and 4 sides are all textured.  The thought of wax passed through my head, and the idea of wax filling all those crevasses with no way to get it out again quickly pushed that thought out again.  I'm not sure if there is a sealant.  Something sprayable would probably work, although I'm thinking if I just wash the thing every spring, it should keep it pretty clean.  This time it looked like it had 10 years of dirt on it, so it's possible that if I maintain it every year, it will be a lot easier to clean each time. 

As I'm going through it washing it and fixing all the little wear and tear items, I'm thinking to myself that when I'm done it will easily be worth twice what I paid for it.  Maybe next year I can flip it for a tidy profit and get something bigger with a slideout, lol (kinda kidding, but not really).

I inspected the battery last night, too.  It looks pooched.  Certainly, there is no current coming from it.  I'm not sure if I'm willing to replace it.  Deep Cycle batteries are not cheap, but it would be handy if we ever camp somewhere where there is no power.

I picked up one at Canadian Tire for $115.  Sometimes the hydro sites are booked, and you only have the no hydro sites left, it's worth it in my opinion, and you can transfer it to the next trailer when you flip it! 

I also see you have some kind of vent, or skylight.  Hopefully there are no leaks.  I wasn't in a hurry when we bought ours, wanted one without.  I have also been thinking of changing the interior lights to LED.

Offline mrthompson

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +70/-42
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Honda CR-V (The Green Machine)
« Reply #6923 on: April 13, 2017, 10:11:40 am »

Something like this...?
http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/storm-king-rv-heat-reflector-3-78-l-0641189p.html#srp

Online Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #6924 on: April 13, 2017, 10:19:02 am »

Something like this...?
http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/storm-king-rv-heat-reflector-3-78-l-0641189p.html#srp

Lol.  That is some kind of paint.  I'm not putting that on my trailer.

It's fine the way it is.  I'll just wash it twice a year.  Once in the fall, and once in the spring.  It'll be fine.

Online Firm

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +232/-1072
  • Urban Hick
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 XKR, 2007 DTS, 2006 Escalade, 2000 Sonoma ZQ8,1996 Firebird, 1996 Firebird Formula, 1985 Trans Am, 1984 Camaro, 1978 MGB x2
« Reply #6925 on: April 13, 2017, 10:24:46 am »
Now that I think about it; why not hit it with some spray wax? Won't get stuck in the cracks, and it'll protect it from the elements.

Online rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7213
    • View Profile
« Reply #6926 on: April 13, 2017, 12:02:21 pm »

Pursuant to my last post, here are some pictures of the progress cleaning it.  The first pic shows how dirty it was, compared to how clean I got it.  The surface is this textured plastic, kinda like an alligator skin texture, and the dirt gets into all the little crevasses.  A soft brush or sponge wouldn't work.  I had to attack it with a hard bristle scrub brush to get all the dirt off.  Took me a few hours of hard scrubbing.  But totally worth it.

I know of a product that will make life easier for next time, hopefully. It's called Amazing Roll Off. Was originally designed for campers and RVs. Pretty amazing stuff.

How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Online Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #6927 on: April 13, 2017, 12:04:08 pm »

Pursuant to my last post, here are some pictures of the progress cleaning it.  The first pic shows how dirty it was, compared to how clean I got it.  The surface is this textured plastic, kinda like an alligator skin texture, and the dirt gets into all the little crevasses.  A soft brush or sponge wouldn't work.  I had to attack it with a hard bristle scrub brush to get all the dirt off.  Took me a few hours of hard scrubbing.  But totally worth it.

I know of a product that will make life easier for next time, hopefully. It's called Amazing Roll Off. Was originally designed for campers and RVs. Pretty amazing stuff.

Just Googled it.  That sounds great.  I may have to order me some.

Online rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7213
    • View Profile
« Reply #6928 on: April 13, 2017, 12:05:01 pm »

Just Googled it.  That sounds great.  I may have to order me some.
Can use it on the canvas too I believe.

Online Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #6929 on: April 13, 2017, 12:33:40 pm »
From the sounds of it, yes.  Although my 'RV Sparkle' cleaner and a brush worked well on the canvas, too.

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #6930 on: April 13, 2017, 01:05:18 pm »

;D
On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken

Offline KD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +359/-263
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Frontier Pro-4X, 2013 Lexus GS-350
« Reply #6931 on: April 13, 2017, 03:22:18 pm »
From the sounds of it, yes.  Although my 'RV Sparkle' cleaner and a brush worked well on the canvas, too.

I used this stuff on the canvas top of my s2000 for uv protection.  I don't have to dry off the top after washing either as the canvas won't hold water. I just tip the top up a little and it rolls right off.  Supposed to seal up minor leaks as well.

https://www.eshine.ca/collections/raggtopp-wolfsteins/products/raggtopp-fabric-protectant
« Last Edit: April 13, 2017, 03:28:51 pm by KDS2K »

Offline Bubba

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +382/-442
  • Vice President, Autos.ca Arizona Operations
    • View Profile
    • My photo site
  • Cars: 2013 Toyota Corolla LE
« Reply #6932 on: April 13, 2017, 07:09:19 pm »

Great job!
My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government. - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Bubba

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +382/-442
  • Vice President, Autos.ca Arizona Operations
    • View Profile
    • My photo site
  • Cars: 2013 Toyota Corolla LE
« Reply #6933 on: April 13, 2017, 07:09:41 pm »
Summer tires and wheels back on the Mazda.

BTW, one Mazda alloy and tire weighs 42 lbs.  205/50R17.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2017, 03:27:44 pm by Winklovic »

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +245/-468
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Hyundai Entourage, 2007 Buick Lucerne
« Reply #6934 on: April 14, 2017, 07:56:46 pm »
Busy day.  Stereo installed on the MR2 finally.  And hitch installed on the new Grand Caravan, will work on the wiring harness tomorrow. 

Offline BWII

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +188/-376
    • View Profile
« Reply #6935 on: April 14, 2017, 09:35:49 pm »
Summer tires and wheels back on the Mazda.

BTW, one Mazda alloy and tire weighs 42 lbs.  205/50R17.

I checked the Fusion one year, the winters are 15lb less each compared to the stock wheels & tires.  You can feel it.  (while you're driving I mean)  Winters were something like 40-45lb each.

Offline Scaerio

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +193/-127
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2013 Volvo C30 T5; all my exes: 2005 Suzuki Aerio SE, '02 Renault Clio, '93 Volvo 850 GLT, '78 MB W-123 230
« Reply #6936 on: April 14, 2017, 09:55:37 pm »
Went to my sister's place and my B-I-L and I put the summer tires and rims on the C30.
I'd rather be car-poor than house-poor...

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +480/-383
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '21 Venzaurus
« Reply #6937 on: April 15, 2017, 05:24:06 pm »
Put summer wheels back on. Noticed faster wear on rear winter tires. Unintended acceleration is perhaps to blame  :P
Give a man a fish, he eats for a day. Teach the man to fish and he wakes you up at 5 in the morning.

Offline BWII

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +188/-376
    • View Profile
« Reply #6938 on: April 16, 2017, 12:10:51 am »
Today, the weather was nicer than expected, and since my kid was home with his car for the day, I decided it was a good time to give it its spring cleaning.  So at 10 AM we go out, still a little cool but the sun is out and it's not bad, and we wash it.  Then clay it, and basically wash it again and dry it. After that it was on to the Poor Boys Black Hole - and now here, wow, you could see the difference (compared to meh, didn't notice anything on my white car).  I was going to take a photo of the before and after, or side by side, and I couldn't believe it.  Amazing.  One side of the hood the sun looked like a massive circular sunburst, the other side, one ball of fire.  Even that water spot that looks like it's buried 2" beneath the clear coat vanished.  After we got done doing the whole car, we waxed it, and spent more time detailing the little things.  Probably a good 4-4.5 hrs time spent on it.  Maybe more.  He took a picture of the truck, reflecting in the paint, and it's pretty clear & sharp.  Well worth the effort.

Then he left around 8 o'clock...just as it started to rain.  :P

Online Firm

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +232/-1072
  • Urban Hick
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 XKR, 2007 DTS, 2006 Escalade, 2000 Sonoma ZQ8,1996 Firebird, 1996 Firebird Formula, 1985 Trans Am, 1984 Camaro, 1978 MGB x2
« Reply #6939 on: April 16, 2017, 10:03:03 pm »
Long weekend got busy fast with Easter stuff, but I got most of Friday to get stuff done, and a few hours on Saturday:

-Washed and waxed the Escalade
-Started paint correction/restoration on the SS, got the roof, hood, front fenders, 1 door and the rear hatch done
-Did a bit of engine bay detailing on the SS
-Adjusted (tightened) the steering box on the Escalade (no more play in the steering wheel! woot!)
-Cleaned the glass in the T/A

I also got some non-car stuff done, sharpened the blade on my lawn mower, got the BBQ ready for the season and washed the front of the house (windows, soffit, doors, etc).