Author Topic: What did you do to your car today?  (Read 3012588 times)

Online Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +268/-457
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mazda CX-5
Re: What did you do to your car today?
« Reply #6760 on: March 27, 2017, 09:42:29 am »
I took the Mazda's alloys to Winnipeg Wheel Works to have the curb rash repaired and then refinished.  Saw them this morning and they look fabulous.  Can't wait to put them on the car in about a month.

How much does something like that cost?

Offline Lower Level

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +40/-82
  • Roadrash
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 1985 Oldsmobile Delta 88 Royale, 1989 Dodge B250 aka The BEAST.
« Reply #6761 on: March 27, 2017, 12:30:44 pm »
Confirmed one of my bridgestone all season is leaking 8 lbs of air a day.  I dont see anything obvious so im gonna drop it off at costco for inspection on the tire.

How about the valve core? Maybe spray a bit of soapy water on there and look for bubbles.

If so, it's cheap and easy to tighten and/or replace. Could save you the hassle of a Costco trip.

Also, on an aluminum rim, make sure they use bead sealer. maybe they all do now but when I worked in a tire shop, some did, some didn't. The some that did usually only if the customer specified and/or had a history of slow leakage.

I suspect some of the guys tried to skip it because some shops pay piece work so the faster you can get it done, the more cars you can do.Myself: I sealed every rim I did, no exceptions. Take the tires off. Put the rim on the balancer, run the balancer and clean the bead area with sand paper then reseal with sealer and back together. maybe it took more time but it would take even more if the customer had to come back and have it done all over again because I was in a hurry.
Den
Reporter: "How does it feel being Henry Ford II?"
HF II: "I wouldn't know, I've never been anyone else."

Offline 5 Wheel Drive

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +88/-20
    • View Profile
  • Cars: My Mazda fleet: 2014 CX9 GS, 2013 Mazda 3 GX, 1997 Miata
« Reply #6762 on: March 27, 2017, 02:55:44 pm »
Spent a little bit of $$$ on the Miata over the weekend.  It was in need of new shocks.  Koni has dropped prices, and there's a mail in rebate.  On Friday Goodwin Racing had free shipping on Koni's.  Bought a set of STR-T's and a set of Racing Beat street springs.   Also picked up the Hella H4 conversion.  I was about to order it from the US, then I found it on Amazon.ca to save a few $$$'s.  Just for fun I ordered the front lip from an R package Miata.  I always liked the look of it.

Still have to order a new catalytic converter.  Looks like Autopartsway.ca has the best price.  I'll check brake pads once I get it out and am rotating the tires.  One was squeaking last fall, so it may be time.

C'mon Spring!  Oh wait, it is Spring.  C'mon Spring like weather!!! ;D
"This is no Playstation, this.  There is no reset button if you get it wrong.  You just go through the pearly gates...on fire!"   -Jeremy Clarkson

Offline Firm

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +232/-1072
  • Urban Hick
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 XKR, 2007 DTS, 2006 Escalade, 2000 Sonoma ZQ8,1996 Firebird, 1996 Firebird Formula, 1985 Trans Am, 1984 Camaro, 1978 MGB x2
« Reply #6763 on: March 27, 2017, 04:22:59 pm »
^Nice! Sounds like a good list of Spring projects that'll make a significant improvement to the car.

I am getting anxious too. The T/A was never really "away", but I had it covered up and out of the weather, and I pulled it out earlier than I otherwise would have because I needed it last week. Still, last winter I drove it all winter, so w/e. If the weather holds this coming weekend (currently showing +10 and no rain) I'll pull the SS out and start the detailing process.....and the parts ordering  :rofl2:

SLK & the Sonoma will hibernate for another month....Can't do everything at once.

Offline revalations

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +101/-329
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Chrysler Lebaron
« Reply #6764 on: March 27, 2017, 08:45:53 pm »
Back in the -30 days the rear liftgate door on the Yukon went berserk, the power lift function plain out quit and made some very ugly noises. I finally got the rear door to actually latch properly and we shut the power lift switch off. With some forum research, seemed like my symptoms pointed to the motorized latch on the door. This gizmo was $780 through the stealership and the cheapest online was $387 US plus shipping.

So today I was walking through a wreckers looking at seats for a F350 I'm sending down south. I spot a Denali that was pretty much completely destroyed and stripped down. They were sending the shell to scrap, cost of fancy latch?.......$10!!! about 15 min to install and it works perfect again!

Offline aquadorhj

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +271/-265
    • View Profile
  • Cars: MB SLK 55, Lexus NX, E46 M3, Honda Fit, VW Jetta, VW Rabbit, Saturn SC, Nissan NX,
« Reply #6765 on: March 28, 2017, 12:12:23 am »
Dropped by costco to get tire inspected.

They found small leak on the sidewall.

80% warranty coverage and 20% on me for replacement. Just gotta schedule the replacement.  Only 2/32 worn so far in 40k km.

Driving thrills makes my wallet lighter.. and therefore makes me faster because i'm shedding weight... :D

Offline Bubba

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +382/-442
  • Vice President, Autos.ca Arizona Operations
    • View Profile
    • My photo site
  • Cars: 2013 Toyota Corolla LE
« Reply #6766 on: March 28, 2017, 01:09:52 am »
Back in the -30 days the rear liftgate door on the Yukon went berserk, the power lift function plain out quit and made some very ugly noises. I finally got the rear door to actually latch properly and we shut the power lift switch off. With some forum research, seemed like my symptoms pointed to the motorized latch on the door. This gizmo was $780 through the stealership and the cheapest online was $387 US plus shipping.

So today I was walking through a wreckers looking at seats for a F350 I'm sending down south. I spot a Denali that was pretty much completely destroyed and stripped down. They were sending the shell to scrap, cost of fancy latch?.......$10!!! about 15 min to install and it works perfect again!

That's why I love the "auto recyclers".   I may start a "Best Auto Recyclers Find" thread.
My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government. - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2121
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2020 Toyota Tundra, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #6767 on: March 28, 2017, 01:29:34 am »

What recyclers were these?? Thats  great find!!!

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

Lighten up Francis.....

Offline Firm

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +232/-1072
  • Urban Hick
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 XKR, 2007 DTS, 2006 Escalade, 2000 Sonoma ZQ8,1996 Firebird, 1996 Firebird Formula, 1985 Trans Am, 1984 Camaro, 1978 MGB x2
« Reply #6768 on: March 28, 2017, 07:57:19 am »
Nice find Rev. Love a cheap fix. Proper U-Pick wreckers are dying around here, there's a few left, but every year it seems we lose one or two.

Offline RX7heaven

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +2/-5
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '98 Forester,'09 Impreza
« Reply #6769 on: March 28, 2017, 03:53:53 pm »
I tightened belts for both Subaru alternators not long after replacing them. Do all drive belts stretch ???

How do you tighten a serpentine belt that has a tensioner?

I'm wondering this too.
These two Subarus have alternator adjustment bolts instead of tensioning pulleys.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2017, 03:56:58 pm by RX7heaven »
"If it's hard to do, it's not worth doing" - H. Simpson

Offline TheHire

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +103/-403
  • Manual Preservation Officer
    • View Profile
    • DoubleClutch.ca Magazine
  • Cars: '07 V8 Vantage 6MT, '91 Diablo, '97 550 Maranello, '91 911 Carrera, '04 S2000, '00 M5, '90 Camry AllTrac, '09 LS 460 AWD, '24 LC 500 Performance, '97 Integra Type R, '24 Santa Fe Calligraphy
« Reply #6770 on: March 30, 2017, 10:48:13 am »
Pulled off the cover, changed the oil, checked the tire pressures, gave it an alignment, dusted it off, and ready for the season!

Resident Connoisseur of Jalopies & Reality Checks

Offline aquadorhj

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +271/-265
    • View Profile
  • Cars: MB SLK 55, Lexus NX, E46 M3, Honda Fit, VW Jetta, VW Rabbit, Saturn SC, Nissan NX,
« Reply #6771 on: March 30, 2017, 10:54:13 am »
cool.   you should have left the dust cover off while in storage, it would have nice layer of dust to make it authentically african warlord-ish.
 ;D ;)

Offline mmret

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +240/-570
    • View Profile
« Reply #6772 on: March 30, 2017, 11:09:21 am »
Pulled off the cover, changed the oil, checked the tire pressures, gave it an alignment, dusted it off, and ready for the season!

Make sure you got your uniform ready :D

You can't just have your characters announce how they feel.
That makes me feel angry!

Present: 15.5 V60 T6 + Polestar, 17 MDX
Sometimes Borrow: 11 GLK350
Dark and Twisted Past: 13 TL AWD, 07 Z4 3.0si, 07 CLK550, 06 TSX, 07 Civic, 01 Grandma!

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +245/-468
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Hyundai Entourage, 2007 Buick Lucerne
« Reply #6773 on: March 30, 2017, 11:41:30 am »

Make sure you use it tonight for your birthday!

Happy Birthday!

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +255/-771
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 BMW 328i Touring, 1998 Jaguar XJR, 2024 Mini Cooper S
« Reply #6774 on: March 30, 2017, 11:50:24 am »
I love the W126. Yours looks great!

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #6775 on: March 30, 2017, 12:20:10 pm »

So you are the reason we may get freezing rain and snow overnight  >:(

Offline BWII

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +188/-376
    • View Profile
« Reply #6776 on: March 30, 2017, 09:30:32 pm »
Had a small rust spot on the Fusion's trunk lid, where the chrome strip is above the plate, repaired.  Turned out it was worse behind it. $250 - not as smooth a finish as it was. Wee bit orange peely. See if I can live with it. SPORT badge looks a little cockeyed.
Would've been tucked up in the upper right corner just under the chrome strip. For reference.

Offline KD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +359/-263
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Frontier Pro-4X, 2013 Lexus GS-350
« Reply #6777 on: March 31, 2017, 07:57:24 am »
Had a small rust spot on the Fusion's trunk lid, where the chrome strip is above the plate, repaired.  Turned out it was worse behind it. $250 - not as smooth a finish as it was. Wee bit orange peely. See if I can live with it. SPORT badge looks a little cockeyed.
Would've been tucked up in the upper right corner just under the chrome strip. For reference.

Same thing happened to ours and i had it repaired last fall along with a couple of other parking lot dents and scratches.  Apparently the corners/edges of that chrome strip dig into the paint which enables water to get in there.  The guy that fixed mine filed off the edges to hopefully prevent that from recurring.   :-\

Offline BWII

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +188/-376
    • View Profile
« Reply #6778 on: March 31, 2017, 08:37:51 am »
Yeah, kinda strange aint it.  It's not like they're sharp corners or anything, but I guess that piece is just loose enough to rub it wrong.  My guy stuck pieces of clear helicopter tape under the corners. Just barely visible poking out.  Enough to offer some added protection.  My wife said he said otherwise the paint was amazing on the car.  And no other spots or issues that he could see.  Phew!  She told him it's because I'm always washing it...I'll blame "you guys" (and Lucky Canucky for his inspirational posts of several years ago).

Offline KD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +359/-263
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Frontier Pro-4X, 2013 Lexus GS-350
« Reply #6779 on: March 31, 2017, 11:03:47 am »
Yeah, kinda strange aint it.  It's not like they're sharp corners or anything, but I guess that piece is just loose enough to rub it wrong.  My guy stuck pieces of clear helicopter tape under the corners. Just barely visible poking out.  Enough to offer some added protection.  My wife said he said otherwise the paint was amazing on the car.  And no other spots or issues that he could see.  Phew!  She told him it's because I'm always washing it...I'll blame "you guys" (and Lucky Canucky for his inspirational posts of several years ago).

If i were you i would keep the Sport and drive it right into the ground.  The Sport model is a good car and will last for a long long time if you can keep it rust free.  Mine has the Aisin 6-sp auto, so it will probably frag itself someday in the near future.  :P