Author Topic: What did you do to your car today?  (Read 3013058 times)

Offline mlin32

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +65/-419
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Peugeot 308 GT; 2015 Yamaha YZF-R3
Re: What did you do to your car today?
« Reply #6660 on: February 27, 2017, 08:21:23 am »
German "engineering" at it's finest...
The headlights are Austrian, not the same as German.

What about the process of removing wheel, wheelwell panel, etc to reach the light bulb? I assume that was the result of German engineering?
Dunno, you'd be surprised how much the supplier plays a role in design sometimes. Given I work for a supplier, I feel that automakers do nothing but the engine, metal stamping, and final assembly thesedays. Weirdly, the turn signal bulb is easily accessed with just a small trap door; guess they didn't think the parking light bulb would burn out first.  ??? . But I'd done the repair before with the left side bulb a couple years back.

The later versions with the brighter rings (coupé, cabrio, facelift) eventually switched to a brighter design accessible from the top like most other bulbs. And of course everything is LED (or is it DEL ?) now.
ø cons: Peugeot 308: Yamaha R3 [/URL]

Online draghon

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +20/-27
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Mine [07 Civic SI coupe] Wife [23 Sienna XSE AWD]
« Reply #6661 on: February 27, 2017, 09:26:19 am »

What about the process of removing wheel, wheelwell panel, etc to reach the light bulb? I assume that was the result of German engineering?

This seems like fairly common practice to change light bulbs in newer cars. You get at the front lights in my car by either removing the front wheel or turning it all the way to one side and then partially remove the plastic liner. (its a honda so no german engineering)
ex rides: 93 Aerostar XLT AWD
wife ex rides: 07 Wave base, 11 Tiguan Comfortline with sport package, 14 Acadia SLE II AWD

Offline Serniter

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +40/-20
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Lexus ES350
« Reply #6662 on: February 27, 2017, 11:03:41 am »
Thanks for the info. I used to own a '11 Civic, but (thankfully) never had to replace headlights.

Offline 84im

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +24/-81
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 BMW X1, 2003 Chevy Tracker, 1974 VW Dune Buggy, and 1974 VW Thing
« Reply #6663 on: February 27, 2017, 04:12:26 pm »
Put the new clutch and pressure plate on the engine and installed the engine back in the car.
Afterwards, I realized I hadn't used my new, expensive flywheel gland nut.  >:(
I had forgotten I'd bought it and I'd put the old one back on.

I'm sure as heck not taking the engine out and stripping off the pressure plate and clutch to put the new one back on.

I guess I'll save it for my next engine.  :P
A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kickboxing.

Offline Lower Level

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +40/-82
  • Roadrash
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 1985 Oldsmobile Delta 88 Royale, 1989 Dodge B250 aka The BEAST.
« Reply #6664 on: February 27, 2017, 04:30:35 pm »
Put the new clutch and pressure plate on the engine and installed the engine back in the car.
Afterwards, I realized I hadn't used my new, expensive flywheel gland nut.  >:(
I had forgotten I'd bought it and I'd put the old one back on.

I'm sure as heck not taking the engine out and stripping off the pressure plate and clutch to put the new one back on.

I guess I'll save it for my next engine.  :P
Oh, COME ON!! Do it over again.  :rofl2:

:stick:
Den
Reporter: "How does it feel being Henry Ford II?"
HF II: "I wouldn't know, I've never been anyone else."

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2121
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2020 Toyota Tundra, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #6665 on: February 27, 2017, 04:33:05 pm »

This seems like fairly common practice to change light bulbs in newer cars. You get at the front lights in my car by either removing the front wheel or turning it all the way to one side and then partially remove the plastic liner. (its a honda so no german engineering)

So this is "progress"?!?!?!?! On my 06 GMC you open the hood, pull two pins, the headlight falls out and you can change the headlight, daytime running light, turn signal and park bulb all in one shot. No tool, no fuss, brilliant. Taking off wheels and fender liners, thats just idiotic.
Lighten up Francis.....

Offline Bubba

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +382/-442
  • Vice President, Autos.ca Arizona Operations
    • View Profile
    • My photo site
  • Cars: 2013 Toyota Corolla LE
« Reply #6666 on: February 27, 2017, 06:50:19 pm »

So this is "progress"?!?!?!?! On my 06 GMC you open the hood, pull two pins, the headlight falls out and you can change the headlight, daytime running light, turn signal and park bulb all in one shot. No tool, no fuss, brilliant. Taking off wheels and fender liners, thats just idiotic.

:iagree:
My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government. - Thomas Jefferson

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7213
    • View Profile
« Reply #6667 on: February 27, 2017, 07:10:17 pm »

Dunno, you'd be surprised how much the supplier plays a role in design sometimes.

The supplier is constrained to the manufacturers car design.  You get the car design, which you can't alter, and have to make it work.  Germans are the worst.  Trying to get design concessions on something that clearly won't work (or is overly complex for no good reason) is near impossible.

FWIW, we do automotive lighting...so I know what I'm talking about.   ;)
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline Firm

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +232/-1072
  • Urban Hick
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 XKR, 2007 DTS, 2006 Escalade, 2000 Sonoma ZQ8,1996 Firebird, 1996 Firebird Formula, 1985 Trans Am, 1984 Camaro, 1978 MGB x2
« Reply #6668 on: February 27, 2017, 09:07:53 pm »

Same with our 06 Escalade. However, I replaced a headlight in a co-workers 07 Escalade, and that did involve messing with the fender liner and loosening the bumper cover.

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #6669 on: February 27, 2017, 09:14:31 pm »

Same with our 06 Escalade. However, I replaced a headlight in a co-workers 07 Escalade, and that did involve messing with the fender liner and loosening the bumper cover.
So again..."progress"?!?!?!?

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

Offline Lower Level

• Auto Obsessed
  • Roadrash
    • View Profile
« Reply #6670 on: February 27, 2017, 09:20:50 pm »

heh. My old clunkers.

Undo 4 screws on ring holding light in, unplug, remove.

Reverse to install. :rofl2:

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #6671 on: February 27, 2017, 09:22:58 pm »

heh. My old clunkers.

Undo 4 screws on ring holding light in, unplug, remove.

Reverse to install. :rofl2:
And thats the way it should be. Thats why I like the older stuff.

Offline Lower Level

• Auto Obsessed
  • Roadrash
    • View Profile
« Reply #6672 on: February 27, 2017, 09:28:20 pm »
Well, there is the matter of their drinking problems......... :rofl2:

Offline aquadorhj

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +271/-265
    • View Profile
  • Cars: MB SLK 55, Lexus NX, E46 M3, Honda Fit, VW Jetta, VW Rabbit, Saturn SC, Nissan NX,
« Reply #6673 on: March 03, 2017, 09:22:07 am »
one of the good weather days of the week.

tried to drive my bimmer.   been sitting for more than a month, battery is dead. 

connected my new never used battery tender, and drove vw to work.

Driving thrills makes my wallet lighter.. and therefore makes me faster because i'm shedding weight... :D

Online draghon

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +20/-27
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Mine [07 Civic SI coupe] Wife [23 Sienna XSE AWD]
« Reply #6674 on: March 04, 2017, 12:16:17 pm »
Idler pulley bearing was getting noisy, had it and the serpentine belt replaced. For 167k the belt was still in remarkably good shape but i figure i should replace it anyways while it was off.

Offline aquadorhj

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: MB SLK 55, Lexus NX, E46 M3, Honda Fit, VW Jetta, VW Rabbit, Saturn SC, Nissan NX,
« Reply #6675 on: March 04, 2017, 07:33:54 pm »
Oil is leaking from vw.  Sh1t.  Gotta investigate now.

Offline EV-Light

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +125/-1490
    • View Profile
« Reply #6676 on: March 04, 2017, 07:56:05 pm »
VW is just off warranty and problems are piling up:

- rattle coming from rear-right passenger side wheel when going around corners

- 2 bulbs burned out a month apart - DRL, probably there's something more than a bulb problem there

- ABS light randomly going off, reported before end of warranty but VW can't find problem

- AC fan is rattling again in max speed

....looks like a money pit!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline aquadorhj

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #6677 on: March 04, 2017, 08:12:36 pm »
Looks like i didnt tighten the oil filter enough when i changed oil.

Judging my the oil residue, i lost about 100~200 cc as it unwould itself.

No other leak apparent.  Cleaned and retightened tuen  put things back on.  Left the splash cover off to monitor for next day or so.

Offline blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +244/-779
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
  • Cars: and bikes by age:BMW, Porsche, Subaru, Suzuki, Suzuki, Mazda, Jaguar, Kawasaki, Porsche, GMC, Suzuki
« Reply #6678 on: March 04, 2017, 10:53:04 pm »
Looks like i didnt tighten the oil filter enough when i changed oil.

Judging my the oil residue, i lost about 100~200 cc as it unwould itself.

No other leak apparent.  Cleaned and retightened tuen  put things back on.  Left the splash cover off to monitor for next day or so.

Hopefully that's all it is, good when it's simple.
Mr Pickypants

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7213
    • View Profile
« Reply #6679 on: March 05, 2017, 02:49:57 pm »
Ordered new tires for the LS.