Author Topic: What did you do to your car today?  (Read 3013263 times)

Offline Firm

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +232/-1072
  • Urban Hick
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 XKR, 2007 DTS, 2006 Escalade, 2000 Sonoma ZQ8,1996 Firebird, 1996 Firebird Formula, 1985 Trans Am, 1984 Camaro, 1978 MGB x2
Re: What did you do to your car today?
« Reply #6620 on: February 15, 2017, 08:44:09 pm »
Put a new power steering pump on the IS300.  Stocker finally gave up the ghost at 365,000kms.   :rofl2:

My Multi Function Display is acting up on my LS.  Apparently, a bad surface mount capacitor is usually the culprit.  Fortunately, there's a repair service.  But still $300 USD to fix.  You don't even want to know how much the unit is from Lexus to buy a new one... :fall:

You ever replaced the HVAC blend door actuators in the IS300??

Nope.

Interesting - I've heard it tends to be a common issue, but maybe not all that common...

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +391/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
« Reply #6621 on: February 15, 2017, 08:48:00 pm »
More like what I haven't done which is drive it. Now at day 3 and so far it looks like day 4 it won't move again.

Online rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7213
    • View Profile
« Reply #6622 on: February 15, 2017, 08:49:01 pm »
Put a new power steering pump on the IS300.  Stocker finally gave up the ghost at 365,000kms.   :rofl2:

My Multi Function Display is acting up on my LS.  Apparently, a bad surface mount capacitor is usually the culprit.  Fortunately, there's a repair service.  But still $300 USD to fix.  You don't even want to know how much the unit is from Lexus to buy a new one... :fall:

You ever replaced the HVAC blend door actuators in the IS300??

Nope.

Interesting - I've heard it tends to be a common issue, but maybe not all that common...

It's only been regular wear items thus far.  And even then...they seem to last an exceedingly long time.  As seems to be the case with all our Lexus we've owned.
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline Lower Level

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +40/-82
  • Roadrash
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 1985 Oldsmobile Delta 88 Royale, 1989 Dodge B250 aka The BEAST.
« Reply #6623 on: February 16, 2017, 09:20:46 am »
Again, in my case it's someone else doing it but I just dropped the van off for some work. It'll be getting checked over for the work done the other day by my mechanic. Then the upper and lower rad hoses will be replaced and the air filter replaced and then just making sure the doghouse is secured as I'm pretty sure it's slightly askew right now due to sound coming in on acceleration.

It should be ready today but since it's my day to make supper for us due to MiLady working later I told my mechanic he doesn't have to pick me up until tomorrow. Luckily I have the Olds too so no worries about being down a vehicle.
Den
Reporter: "How does it feel being Henry Ford II?"
HF II: "I wouldn't know, I've never been anyone else."

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #6624 on: February 16, 2017, 09:56:57 am »
Again, in my case it's someone else doing it but I just dropped the van off for some work. It'll be getting checked over for the work done the other day by my mechanic. Then the upper and lower rad hoses will be replaced and the air filter replaced and then just making sure the doghouse is secured as I'm pretty sure it's slightly askew right now due to sound coming in on acceleration.

It should be ready today but since it's my day to make supper for us due to MiLady working later I told my mechanic he doesn't have to pick me up until tomorrow. Luckily I have the Olds too so no worries about being down a vehicle.

Could be time for your Milady to get her license

Offline Lower Level

• Auto Obsessed
  • Roadrash
    • View Profile
« Reply #6625 on: February 16, 2017, 10:56:27 am »
She only works 3 blocks away.  :rofl2:

She has no intention of getting her license as she used to go on the road with me when we lived in the city and she see's how the average person "drives" and wants no part of it. Even if she did get it, she's need a vehicle and have to insure it. Even just getting her license (or one of the girls doing so) will make mine skyrocket since policy is now for insurance companies to add any other drivers in a household whether they drive the vehicles or not. My broker told me this is indeed true and they'd automatically assign a vehicle to a second driver since we have two vehicles. No thanks.

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #6626 on: February 16, 2017, 12:20:15 pm »
And if something happens to you and you can no longer drive ,
You in the middle of no where , how will she get around ?

Offline Lower Level

• Auto Obsessed
  • Roadrash
    • View Profile
« Reply #6627 on: February 16, 2017, 12:31:20 pm »
She can get her license then. :rofl2:

Ironically, she did take lessons a few years ago and in my opinion would make a great driver as she has more common sense and knows the rules of the road better than most people who are licensed. But she see's how people "drive" and the idea of being among them terrifies her especially since "drivers" in Ontario seem to be getting worse every year. I still think she'd do fine but it's her decision and one thing I've found too is she is also sick and tired of other people trying to bully her into getting it. her reaction is to just dig in deeper and say "no".

I have said to her if finances allowed another vehicle that would just be hers and separate insurance I think she should at least GET her license but so far she just says no way. I tend to think if she did get it, she'd gain the confidence from doing it as she is one of the most competent people I know and around here she could drive sparingly and there's really not much traffic if one avoids the Hwy. She had her G1 but let it expire. I once suggested getting her G2 and taking a skid control course (which I think is bare minimum for a new driver.) but she stood her ground.

She also once said "Well, if you didn't only own vehicles that were the size of ships!" She was joking but as I told her, once she got used to it, driving the van is nothing since with the mirrors it's easier to position than most cars and she'd get used to the size.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2017, 12:32:53 pm by Lower Level »

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +245/-468
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Hyundai Entourage, 2007 Buick Lucerne
« Reply #6628 on: February 16, 2017, 01:58:58 pm »
Huzzah for the cheap fix!!!

Yeah. For a while there, it was tense. especially when he couldn't find the leak at first and said he had to take the doghouse off......

Head gasket? Intake gasket? Uh oh. So yeah, a serious relief!

Where did you have coffee in Mount Forest? I hit Mount Forest a dozen times a year.  Hope that bridge is done!

We were in Clifford. We lost the coolant just outside of Fordwich heading to Clifford then through Mount Forest.

We had started in Owen Sound as my wife had an appt at 9am there. We were out of Owen Sound by 9:15 so since we were so early started looking for somewhere for lunch and ended up through Durham, Mount Forest, Harriston, Palmerston and finally Fordwich as we remembered going there years ago. Our rout back is then through Mount Forest (well, in this case I went back country and came out north of town by The Spot.) and up through Holstein.

Sadly it seems a lot of places are gone. Our favourite in Mount Forest was the Four Seasons restaurant but they've been gone for a LONG time. there's a Chinese food place there now. (Across from the medical centre.)

I wouldn't mind a recommendation in Mount Forest for a decent restaurant as we usually go to the A&W when there due to not knowing what's good there anymore.

Since I head north to Mount Forest, and I need to eat, we would eat in Fergus.  Which is the halfway point.  And love stopping at Brewhouse on the Grand.

http://www.brewhouseonthegrand.ca/

But sometimes when we are in the Mount Forest area for a week, we will eat at The Spot, like you mentioned. 

Offline Lower Level

• Auto Obsessed
  • Roadrash
    • View Profile
« Reply #6629 on: February 16, 2017, 02:04:50 pm »
I've driven by it for a couple decades. Always wondered if it was any good or just full of drunk rednecks. Wife said online reviews said it was okay. So, it's okay? We may have to add it to our list of places to check into.

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2121
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2020 Toyota Tundra, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #6630 on: February 16, 2017, 02:17:10 pm »
Full of drunk rednecks....that sounds like a party

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

Lighten up Francis.....

Offline Brig

• Brig
  • Carma: +396/-1400
  • Class Clown, Moderatrix and Resident Hag
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 Mazda CX-3 GS AWD
« Reply #6631 on: February 16, 2017, 02:32:27 pm »
Since I head north to Mount Forest, and I need to eat, we would eat in Fergus.  Which is the halfway point.  And love stopping at Brewhouse on the Grand.

http://www.brewhouseonthegrand.ca/

Ate there about a month ago, after our hike.  Absolutely delicious -- 100% recommend to anyone in that neighbourhood.  Such a pretty little town, too!

Offline Lower Level

• Auto Obsessed
  • Roadrash
    • View Profile
« Reply #6632 on: February 16, 2017, 03:13:53 pm »
.  Such a pretty little town, too!

Yeah. We've always liked Mount Forest. We often think it'd be nice to buy an old Victorian there. We always joke to people about the Canadian Tire having a hitching post.

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #6633 on: February 17, 2017, 08:36:35 am »
.  Such a pretty little town, too!

Yeah. We've always liked Mount Forest. We often think it'd be nice to buy an old Victorian there. We always joke to people about the Canadian Tire having a hitching post.

Think she was referring to the restaurant in Fergus.  And Fergus is way nicer then Mount Forest. 

Brigitte, that restaurant also has two bedrooms above, great place to stay for a night. 

Offline Lower Level

• Auto Obsessed
  • Roadrash
    • View Profile
« Reply #6634 on: February 17, 2017, 11:25:50 am »
The Spot is just north of town as you leave Mount Forest. I tend to avoid Fergus as I don't like driving through it due to traffic. i seem to recall though that last time I went through that jag the road does was changed?

Normally, if going to say Guelph I go across North of Fergus towards Alma, etc and then work my way down.

Anyways. van is home again.

Lower rad hose was fine as it was done last year when I had the rad flushed and all the belts replaced.

The work on the upper heater hose was up to par so that was fine so replaced upper rad hose, bypass hose and any other remaning heater hoses that haven't been done and of course a new air filter.

Still, all in all, less than a tow would have been!  :rofl2:
« Last Edit: February 17, 2017, 11:29:09 am by Lower Level »

Offline Firm

• Car Crazy
  • Urban Hick
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 XKR, 2007 DTS, 2006 Escalade, 2000 Sonoma ZQ8,1996 Firebird, 1996 Firebird Formula, 1985 Trans Am, 1984 Camaro, 1978 MGB x2
« Reply #6635 on: February 18, 2017, 05:59:11 pm »
Weather was beautiful today (+13), so despite fighting a cold I made the best of it.

Washed the Escalade and hit it with a single coat of Auto Glym Super Resin Polish (it's what I had handy) to give it a bit more protection for the rest of the season. Took the T/A out for the first time this year, gave it about an hour run to get everything up to operating temp. Cleaned up a bunch of the Christmas décor, and even handwashed this week's test vehicle (Cherokee) while I had the hose out.

Felt so freakin good to be back outside

Offline Bubba

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +382/-442
  • Vice President, Autos.ca Arizona Operations
    • View Profile
    • My photo site
  • Cars: 2013 Toyota Corolla LE
« Reply #6636 on: February 18, 2017, 06:24:01 pm »
Weather was beautiful today (+13), so despite fighting a cold I made the best of it.

Washed the Escalade and hit it with a single coat of Auto Glym Super Resin Polish (it's what I had handy) to give it a bit more protection for the rest of the season. Took the T/A out for the first time this year, gave it about an hour run to get everything up to operating temp. Cleaned up a bunch of the Christmas décor, and even handwashed this week's test vehicle (Cherokee) while I had the hose out.

Felt so freakin good to be back outside

You really need a few acres.
My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government. - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Firm

• Car Crazy
  • Urban Hick
    • View Profile
« Reply #6637 on: February 18, 2017, 07:11:26 pm »
You're telling me.....
Problem is our jobs...we both work in Toronto (I am Midtown, wife is uptown) and the commute is bad enough as is. Anything with more space in the city is way out of our budget.

Plan is for Mrs.Firm to stop working in a couple years when we decide to start a family, at that point I'll be the only commuter, so we'll move further out to a place with at least an acre or so. Assuming current market conditions (which is a big assumption), I could sell this place and even-trade to a really nice place, with a separate shop, out in the boonies.

Until then, this will have to work.

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #6638 on: February 18, 2017, 07:19:11 pm »
I was out in the garage all day too, but didn't clean one car! Got one to fit in the garage though!

The Cherokee (with the V6) is the only Chrysler vehicle I would consider...

Looking forward to your review.  Want to hear from a few owners, how the 9 speed is after 200-300k?

Offline mlin32

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +65/-419
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Peugeot 308 GT; 2015 Yamaha YZF-R3
« Reply #6639 on: February 18, 2017, 08:27:32 pm »
Meanwhile, 1500km to the south.......I declare an end to the winter season. The one that never really happened. I put on the summer wheels/tires today, also took the opportunity to lubricate/inspect the various suspension joints, remove the salt/road crud best I could. Then did a wash. Then took a drive........"Wow that's a lot of road feel"........"Oh more grip than I expected....."  :drv2:

Of course, after I took this pic, the right side parking light (rings) went out. Not really a biggie, but will tackle that another week, which annoyingly involves taking off the wheel. How many times am I going to be jacking up the car this month......sheesh.
ř cons: Peugeot 308: Yamaha R3 [/URL]