Author Topic: What did you do to your car today?  (Read 3013278 times)

Offline Firm

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +232/-1072
  • Urban Hick
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 XKR, 2007 DTS, 2006 Escalade, 2000 Sonoma ZQ8,1996 Firebird, 1996 Firebird Formula, 1985 Trans Am, 1984 Camaro, 1978 MGB x2
Re: What did you do to your car today?
« Reply #6600 on: February 13, 2017, 09:28:24 pm »
So one of my wiper fluid sprayer on my 2004 sienna was defective.   little piece of plastic maybe 2cm X1cmX1cm.  same size of the kinder surprise eggs toys i buy to my daughter, probably same type of plastic too.

guess how much the dealer wants for that..?.....$46..!!! nope not paying that.... now trying to find some universal nozzles @ canadian tire or princess auto

Odd, at work last week I actually just added a whole line of washer nozzle to the Dorman program at CT and PartSource, the Sienna one was one of them. Since it just got added a few days ago, it'll be a few weeks before it's in inventory, that said, any PartSource store should be able to source it for you same day or next day. I am not sure what the retail $ eneed up at, but I can check for you on Monday if you want.

This is it here:
http://www.dormanproducts.com/p-76184-47189.aspx?year=2004&make=Toyota&model=Sienna&parttype=Windshield%2520Washer%2520Nozzle&origin=YMM

Also, not sure where your located, but if you're in the GTA, I am about 95% sure I have a set of  have a set o these in my office, they were sent went i was considering the program. If you want to pick them up (midtown toronto during the day, west mississauga in the evenings) let me know and they're yours.

Wong, I checked, and I have the correct nozzles for your Sienna sitting in my office at work. If you want them, PM me. You can either swing by and pickup, or I can stick them in the mail to you - gratis.

Offline Bubba

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +382/-442
  • Vice President, Autos.ca Arizona Operations
    • View Profile
    • My photo site
  • Cars: 2013 Toyota Corolla LE
« Reply #6601 on: February 13, 2017, 10:47:27 pm »
Wong, I checked, and I have the correct nozzles for your Sienna sitting in my office at work. If you want them, PM me. You can either swing by and pickup, or I can stick them in the mail to you - gratis.

How facking cool is that?  Another example of the kind of community we have here.
My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government. - Thomas Jefferson

Offline pi314

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +59/-95
    • View Profile
  • Cars: VW Golf Sportwagen 4Motion 6MT ;Dearly Departed 2015 Honda Fit EX 6MT
« Reply #6602 on: February 14, 2017, 07:00:12 am »
So one of my wiper fluid sprayer on my 2004 sienna was defective.   little piece of plastic maybe 2cm X1cmX1cm.  same size of the kinder surprise eggs toys i buy to my daughter, probably same type of plastic too.

guess how much the dealer wants for that..?.....$46..!!! nope not paying that.... now trying to find some universal nozzles @ canadian tire or princess auto

Odd, at work last week I actually just added a whole line of washer nozzle to the Dorman program at CT and PartSource, the Sienna one was one of them. Since it just got added a few days ago, it'll be a few weeks before it's in inventory, that said, any PartSource store should be able to source it for you same day or next day. I am not sure what the retail $ eneed up at, but I can check for you on Monday if you want.

This is it here:
http://www.dormanproducts.com/p-76184-47189.aspx?year=2004&make=Toyota&model=Sienna&parttype=Windshield%2520Washer%2520Nozzle&origin=YMM

Also, not sure where your located, but if you're in the GTA, I am about 95% sure I have a set of  have a set o these in my office, they were sent went i was considering the program. If you want to pick them up (midtown toronto during the day, west mississauga in the evenings) let me know and they're yours.

very nice of you. I think he lives in AB though so I doubt he's swinging by Mississauga  ;D

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +245/-468
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Hyundai Entourage, 2007 Buick Lucerne
« Reply #6603 on: February 14, 2017, 09:42:56 am »

This is it here:

very nice of you. I think he lives in AB though so I doubt he's swinging by Mississauga  ;D

Well maybe if Firm throws in free install! :-)

Offline Firm

• Car Crazy
  • Urban Hick
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 XKR, 2007 DTS, 2006 Escalade, 2000 Sonoma ZQ8,1996 Firebird, 1996 Firebird Formula, 1985 Trans Am, 1984 Camaro, 1978 MGB x2
« Reply #6604 on: February 14, 2017, 11:10:56 am »
lol. Done!

I can mail them if he doesn't mind waiting a bit.

Offline carcrazed

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +39/-88
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Forester Touring; 2009 Civic EX-L
« Reply #6605 on: February 14, 2017, 11:55:46 am »
Parked my MDX in my own garage for the first time. It's a tight fit!
I'll go for a something smaller for my next vehicle.

Offline Brig

• Brig
  • Carma: +396/-1400
  • Class Clown, Moderatrix and Resident Hag
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 Mazda CX-3 GS AWD
« Reply #6606 on: February 14, 2017, 12:03:34 pm »
Not something I wanted to be doing but well..........

Under, boy am I an idiot:

So, I went out to clean the snow off the satellite for MiLady. Of course she is now kinda' pissed at me because I'm not allowed on ladders or high up, etc as I am considered a "falling risk". that and my hearty hasn't enough stamina for climbing, but hey, I'm stubborn.....and the job needed doing sooo.........

So far no car involved, right? heh.

Well, since I don't have a ladder big enough and it's already parked there where I need to go, i used my van as a "ladder" since after all it HAS a ladder on the back end..........

I take a broom up and while I'm up there figure I may as well get some of the snow that's a foot or more deep on the roof. And so, I start working my way towards the area where I can reach the satellite. And I see there's a good coat of ice on the roof so thinking maybe I should break it up so it isn't flying off on the highway tomorrow I use the end of the broom handle to break it up. So good so far...........

Aaaaaaannnnnd, "crack", put a hole in the rear roof vent that vents the bathroom. brittle 30 year old plastic. It was hidden by the ice. WHOOPS!!!

No good deed goes unpunished.

And, to quote a recent episode of Forged in Fire (with a southern accent):  "That's a special kind of stupid right there."  :rofl2:

It is supposed to warm up for the weekend.  You may be in luck.

Offline Bubba

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
    • My photo site
« Reply #6607 on: February 14, 2017, 02:03:17 pm »
I should wash my car.   :-\

Offline Lower Level

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +40/-82
  • Roadrash
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 1985 Oldsmobile Delta 88 Royale, 1989 Dodge B250 aka The BEAST.
« Reply #6608 on: February 14, 2017, 05:08:32 pm »
 Well. Stranded!!  :rofl2:

So, we went for a drive today. We ended up at the side of the road between Fordwich and Clifford Ontario. Lots of steam!! Temp guage pegged almost......

Middle of somewhere.

Like I said, STEAM! And here it's mostly dissipated.

No, i'm not waving hello!!  :rofl2:

So. What to do? Phoned mechanic, got number for tow truck. I decide to try to limp it to Clifford. I wait for it to cool a bit, then drive it a bit and when needle climbs too high for comfort shut the engine off and coast in neutral, preferable on the downhills. Sometimes I was able to risk starting it to get back up but then had to pull over and wait. The do it all again.

So we limp it into Clifford and I call my local tow guy but 1. it's a bit far for him to come and 2. he doesn't have the equipment to tow our van.

Small sidenote: small town living: When I describe the van he replies "Yeah, I know that van."  :rofl2:

And so he gives me the number of the guys in Mount Forest. We park the van at the car wash in Clifford and decide to look for a coffee. I discover the local garage is still in business there! YAY! Tow guy calls back, looks like the tow would be almost $400. Ouch. So I decide maybe the van isn't TOO bad (Hoping NOT a head gasket or that I blew the head gasket limping it in.) Originally I was thinking heater core since steam came through interior vents but rething since it was just once and I decide maybe it just went through the cowl vents and in so decide maybe lower rad hose. Fingers crossed.

We walk into town (We know it a bit as we once lived there.) to get cash from cash machine for coffee. Then I get the van and get the local guy to look at it. I'm think here that even if it IS the core, it'd be less than the tow!

And so, the verdict. Heater hose split at the block under the doghouse. 1/2 hour fix. YAY!!

So we go for coffee, MiLady has pie. And we get van back at a cost of $133. luckily we had that on us. He left the air filter out as the coolant basically destroyed it so took it way coming home. When I'd slow for a water puddle, my wife would look at me and say "This is just KILLING you, isn't it!!??!!" Haha, becaause I tend to FLOOR it through puddle, the deeper the better. Yes, it almost killed me! :rofl2:

So in the end. Inconvenient but life goes on. I got to have lunch with my wife and then later go for coffee with her. Got to go for a walk through Clifford with her as she took pics of places we lived there. Overall not a bad day other than the obvious.

So, just got home, phoned my mechanic, arranged for van to go in Thursday morning and he'll order upper and lower rad hoses (pre-maintenance) and new air filter for then. I am also having him check the work done and making sure the doghouse is properly secured as I'm pretty sure from the sound coming through it's slightly not sealed right. he has to take it off for the air filter abnyways so no big deal. I'm just fussy. ;D

Oh and I must add. I was impressed at how many people stopped and offered assistance, one even backing up from the other direction. We didn't require it but still, it's nice to see there are still people out there that care.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2017, 05:11:22 pm by Lower Level »
Den
Reporter: "How does it feel being Henry Ford II?"
HF II: "I wouldn't know, I've never been anyone else."

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2121
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2020 Toyota Tundra, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #6609 on: February 14, 2017, 05:26:53 pm »
Huzzah for the cheap fix!!!
Lighten up Francis.....

Offline Lower Level

• Auto Obsessed
  • Roadrash
    • View Profile
« Reply #6610 on: February 14, 2017, 05:38:39 pm »

Yeah. For a while there, it was tense. especially when he couldn't find the leak at first and said he had to take the doghouse off......

Head gasket? Intake gasket? Uh oh. So yeah, a serious relief!

Offline Arthur Dent

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +186/-80
  • 42?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6611 on: February 14, 2017, 05:43:07 pm »
Perfect breakdown. Makes for a good story and nothing serious was broken. Bank account stayed mostly intact.

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #6612 on: February 14, 2017, 05:57:05 pm »
I am surprised you do not have CAA

Offline HeliDriver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +176/-235
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Crosstrek Sport 6MT; 2011 Yukon XL 2500
« Reply #6613 on: February 15, 2017, 06:29:46 pm »
For months, my wife has been complaining about a squeak coming from the plastic trim in the back of the Yukon. I heard it, too, but didn't much care: there's like an acre of plastic trim back there, so something is bound to squeak. It's just part of the Yukon XL experience. :)

So, since I never got around to dealing with it, she went ahead and "fixed" the problem herself. She found a can of lithium spray grease and went to town on the piece that was squeaking. Funny thing is that she basically just sprayed the outside of the panel, so accomplished nothing (except making a big mess). ::)

Ok, my fault, I guess, for not taking care of it sooner. Anyway, spent today wiping up grease and actually fixing the squeak. Only took five minutes - just popped out a cup holder and wedged a piece of foam down behind the panel. Squeak gone!

Online rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7213
    • View Profile
« Reply #6614 on: February 15, 2017, 06:34:35 pm »
Put a new power steering pump on the IS300.  Stocker finally gave up the ghost at 365,000kms.   :rofl2:

My Multi Function Display is acting up on my LS.  Apparently, a bad surface mount capacitor is usually the culprit.  Fortunately, there's a repair service.  But still $300 USD to fix.  You don't even want to know how much the unit is from Lexus to buy a new one... :fall:
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline Firm

• Car Crazy
  • Urban Hick
    • View Profile
« Reply #6615 on: February 15, 2017, 08:19:43 pm »
Put a new power steering pump on the IS300.  Stocker finally gave up the ghost at 365,000kms.   :rofl2:

My Multi Function Display is acting up on my LS.  Apparently, a bad surface mount capacitor is usually the culprit.  Fortunately, there's a repair service.  But still $300 USD to fix.  You don't even want to know how much the unit is from Lexus to buy a new one... :fall:

You ever replaced the HVAC blend door actuators in the IS300??

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +245/-468
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Hyundai Entourage, 2007 Buick Lucerne
« Reply #6616 on: February 15, 2017, 08:25:20 pm »

Yeah. For a while there, it was tense. especially when he couldn't find the leak at first and said he had to take the doghouse off......

Where did you have coffee in Mount Forest? I hit Mount Forest a dozen times a year.  Hope that bridge is done!

Offline Bubba

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
    • My photo site
« Reply #6617 on: February 15, 2017, 08:31:48 pm »
That's better.

Offline Lower Level

• Auto Obsessed
  • Roadrash
    • View Profile
« Reply #6618 on: February 15, 2017, 08:37:39 pm »

Where did you have coffee in Mount Forest? I hit Mount Forest a dozen times a year.  Hope that bridge is done!

We were in Clifford. We lost the coolant just outside of Fordwich heading to Clifford then through Mount Forest.

We had started in Owen Sound as my wife had an appt at 9am there. We were out of Owen Sound by 9:15 so since we were so early started looking for somewhere for lunch and ended up through Durham, Mount Forest, Harriston, Palmerston and finally Fordwich as we remembered going there years ago. Our rout back is then through Mount Forest (well, in this case I went back country and came out north of town by The Spot.) and up through Holstein.

Sadly it seems a lot of places are gone. Our favourite in Mount Forest was the Four Seasons restaurant but they've been gone for a LONG time. there's a Chinese food place there now. (Across from the medical centre.)

I wouldn't mind a recommendation in Mount Forest for a decent restaurant as we usually go to the A&W when there due to not knowing what's good there anymore.

Online rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7213
    • View Profile
« Reply #6619 on: February 15, 2017, 08:38:36 pm »

You ever replaced the HVAC blend door actuators in the IS300??

Nope.