Author Topic: What did you do to your car today?  (Read 3013492 times)

Offline carcrazed

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +39/-88
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Forester Touring; 2009 Civic EX-L
Re: What did you do to your car today?
« Reply #6520 on: January 27, 2017, 11:15:54 am »
Finally washed it last night.  It feels so great to walk up to a clean black car in the morning.

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +245/-468
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Hyundai Entourage, 2007 Buick Lucerne
« Reply #6521 on: January 27, 2017, 07:54:22 pm »
Finally washed it last night.  It feels so great to walk up to a clean black car in the morning.

it stayed clean till morning? 

Offline wing

• Big Wig
  • Administrator
  • Carma: +279/-320
  • If you ain't first ... you're last!
    • View Profile
    • Drivesideways
  • Cars: 2009 Lexus ISF, 2009 Lexus LX570,2011 Audi A5 Touring Car
« Reply #6522 on: January 27, 2017, 08:02:46 pm »
Changed the front brakes on the LS today.  Honestly, the easiest brake pad change ever.  It's ridiculous.  Pull one pin, pull pads, put in new pads, replace pin.  It was stupid how easy it was.  I was able to compress all 4 pistons in the calipers while leaving it on with my amazing ratchet brake pad spreader.  And the pads I used required no anti-squeal (not sure about this part).

I'd be surprised if it took 10 minutes per side total.

If only all cars were so easy.

Also, the LS430 calipers are massive and would make a great "big brake" upgrade kit for many cars.

That's the Brembo setup.   Depending on caliper size there is one of two pins.

My truck has one two pins on the front.   Car has 2 pins and a safety sleeve.   I think the rears are two pin too.   

They are NOT easy once they rust.   Took me hours of cutting and drilling on my truck because the pins were rusted in.   :(

ISF swap is quick, because not rusted.

Offline EV-Light

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +125/-1490
    • View Profile
« Reply #6523 on: January 28, 2017, 05:13:00 am »
Had the 3 and the CX9 into Kanata Mazda for their oil changes.  My oil changes are covered on the 3 with the extended warranty package I bought.  $74 tax in for the CX9 for full synthetic.  And they both got washed too.

Much better deal than my 1st oil change on the GC last week... $206 taxes in!! Filter alone was $44 at the stealership! Plus 2 jugs of DEF for another $52  :o

Now ask him how often those 'cheap' oil changes are supposed to happen....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline BWII

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +188/-376
    • View Profile
« Reply #6524 on: January 28, 2017, 09:16:44 am »
I washed my Fusion the other day.  Last night I waxed it, or half of it. In the garage...a couple days after washing it.  Yeah, I know, I shouldn't do that, there's road grime on it after 2 days of driving.  But it needed to be waxed.  Of course I put it on too thick so I used my wife's scrubby abrasive pot cleaner to get it off.  Which I dipped in dirty water full of leaves and twigs, and then of course the wax and water were freezing to the car...and I never did get it all off because I had to go to work and I still hadn't showered or eaten breakfast yet! (What? I know, right?)

.....and then I woke up...WTF?  :think:  Weird, I"d never use a scrubby to take wax off my car, what was I thinking...

...fell asleep again, and had an even stranger dream.  One where my dog was eaten by a tree root, which I pushed into a hole...which I saw was still moving and off the end a lizard type creature popped off...and I reached down to rip it apart only to have my dog come out nice and clean...except I ripped his front leg off and not the lizard root...so without remorse, because I didn't know if I should be remorseful or not, I shoved him down the river bank because he was already dead anyway, and since the family hadn't seen him they'd never know, and now he was missing a leg...who wants a 3 legged dog? ...and watched him look at me with those sad Golden Retriever eye as he floated south on a little ice flow.  I hope it's not cold...he'll probably freeze on that being half in water. :'( Bye Farley!!  :(

.....and then I woke up and figured I'd better go to the bathroom...sometime when you gotta go, apparently your brain does weird things.  That or I'm on the verge of something new and un-fun.  Hope it was just that I had to pee.  :P :rofl:  Maybe I ate something weird...but what...and why couldn't it have been the cat instead?

Offline mlin32

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +65/-419
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Peugeot 308 GT; 2015 Yamaha YZF-R3
« Reply #6525 on: January 28, 2017, 03:24:23 pm »
I rotated the tires on the 3er, front/rear. It's been a warmer than normal in the SE US (10-15° max, a few 19-20° days) and thus noticed that the rears were worn out notably more than the fronts. It's been one of those years....."why do I bother with winter tires ?"

Discovered a bubble in one of the tires  :( - hit the right rear against an angled kerb under snow while making a right turn last month and just discovered the damage. Debating whether to replace it now  :-\  ; not going to be home half of next month and will probably go back to summer shoes early since my hunch is that this winter isn't going to be much of one.
ø cons: Peugeot 308: Yamaha R3 [/URL]

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +245/-468
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Hyundai Entourage, 2007 Buick Lucerne
« Reply #6526 on: January 29, 2017, 07:55:55 am »
I rotated the tires on the 3er, front/rear. It's been a warmer than normal in the SE US (10-15° max, a few 19-20° days) and thus noticed that the rears were worn out notably more than the fronts. It's been one of those years....."why do I bother with winter tires ?"

Discovered a bubble in one of the tires  :( - hit the right rear against an angled kerb under snow while making a right turn last month and just discovered the damage. Debating whether to replace it now  :-\  ; not going to be home half of next month and will probably go back to summer shoes early since my hunch is that this winter isn't going to be much of one.

If your going to use the winters next year, I would say get it fixed.  If not, then maybe wait, just be prepared for a flat!

Online Firm

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +232/-1072
  • Urban Hick
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 XKR, 2007 DTS, 2006 Escalade, 2000 Sonoma ZQ8,1996 Firebird, 1996 Firebird Formula, 1985 Trans Am, 1984 Camaro, 1978 MGB x2
« Reply #6527 on: January 29, 2017, 11:44:55 am »
Ordered a "birth certificate" and a re-print of the original window sticker for the SS from SLP. Expensive pieces of paper, but it's pretty cool that they're even available.

Offline HeliDriver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +176/-235
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Crosstrek Sport 6MT; 2011 Yukon XL 2500
« Reply #6528 on: January 29, 2017, 12:07:49 pm »

If your going to use the winters next year, I would say get it fixed.  If not, then maybe wait, just be prepared for a flat blowout!

EFA.

Offline draghon

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +20/-27
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Mine [07 Civic SI coupe] Wife [23 Sienna XSE AWD]
« Reply #6529 on: January 29, 2017, 03:45:44 pm »
Changed the oil in my wife's Acadia today. Shoud've done it last weekend when temps were still above zero but -10 isn't so bad.
ex rides: 93 Aerostar XLT AWD
wife ex rides: 07 Wave base, 11 Tiguan Comfortline with sport package, 14 Acadia SLE II AWD

Offline mlin32

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +65/-419
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Peugeot 308 GT; 2015 Yamaha YZF-R3
« Reply #6530 on: January 29, 2017, 10:23:05 pm »

If your going to use the winters next year, I would say get it fixed.  If not, then maybe wait, just be prepared for a flat blowout!

EFA.
Oh, I totally know the risks. I happened a month ago and had I seen it then, I wouldn't have put 2k kms on it, many of it at autobahn speeds! It's just when to replace and when my budget allows. I would have to buy two tires; the wear difference left/right would throw half a dozen systems for a loop in the 325i- I know this from experience.

Spend 400$ US, have the car sit two weeks in the aeroport, drive home......to be then put in storage for another 8-9 months? Realistically I can't do anything now anyway; wouldn't be able to have them shipped and installed in 5 days.

What I did with the car today? Took it up to the NW mountains, and then proceeded to hang its tail out in 5cm of fresh powder, throwing up rooster tails for 150m leaving the petrol station. Because rear-wheel drive is awesome like that.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7213
    • View Profile
« Reply #6531 on: January 30, 2017, 08:30:29 am »

They are NOT easy once they rust.   Took me hours of cutting and drilling on my truck because the pins were rusted in.   :(

ISF swap is quick, because not rusted.

Don't understand how it could be hard to remove if rusted. Just take a smaller pin and pound it out.

Let me know if you need a small core pin and I'll mail you one. Core pins are used in the ejection of molds and don't bend...unless of a malfunction in a 1000+ ton molding press.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2017, 08:34:47 am by rrocket »
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #6532 on: January 30, 2017, 08:32:26 am »
Ordered a "birth certificate" and a re-print of the original window sticker for the SS from SLP. Expensive pieces of paper, but it's pretty cool that they're even available.
Yea. $100 for same from Porsche.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #6533 on: January 30, 2017, 08:36:07 am »
Remember folks, if anyone needs high quality oil, please hit me up!

Offline wing

• Big Wig
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Drivesideways
« Reply #6534 on: January 30, 2017, 09:24:13 am »
Like fused man.   I have lots of punches.   I hammered on the pin with a sledge was not coming out.

In the end I had to cut the pin then both pieces popped out.

But the side that was fused was so fused you could not tell where it went.   Drilled it out and replaced with a new pin.

Only happened to one of the 3

Who knows what happened but I'm guessing the previous replacement of pads they reused the pins and didn't clean them.   Or put locktite or something.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #6535 on: January 30, 2017, 09:26:08 am »
Or weld. 😂

Offline wing

• Big Wig
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Drivesideways
« Reply #6536 on: January 30, 2017, 09:36:39 am »
That's what it looked like almost.

Good thing now is that it won't happen again because the hole is slightly larger than it should be ;)

Offline carcrazed

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +39/-88
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Forester Touring; 2009 Civic EX-L
« Reply #6537 on: January 30, 2017, 09:51:52 am »

it stayed clean till morning?

It's parked indoors, for now.  Then it snowed the next day.

Offline Lower Level

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +40/-82
  • Roadrash
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 1985 Oldsmobile Delta 88 Royale, 1989 Dodge B250 aka The BEAST.
« Reply #6538 on: January 30, 2017, 11:18:10 am »
First thing I'VE done in a long time. Small thing but nice to be well enough to even do this after so long not being able to.

I finally put new wiper blades on my van. I've had them for a month but never put them on. Since I have to take MiLAdy to London (The one in Ontario, not the real one.  ;D ) Wednesday for a Dr's appt. and it's a 3 hour drive each way I figured I'd better get it done.
Den
Reporter: "How does it feel being Henry Ford II?"
HF II: "I wouldn't know, I've never been anyone else."

Offline tooscoops

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +325/-227
  • "stealership" employee
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '75 AMC Pacer, '70 Morgan 4/4, '21 Pacifica Hybrid, '21 Wrangler Rubicon
« Reply #6539 on: January 30, 2017, 04:31:19 pm »
didn't do it yet, but priced out this new windshield 'cover' stuff... guys are trying to sell it to our dealership. pretty much a tougher tint-like film that will go on the outside of the windshield... won't change the look or visibility, but guarantees against chips and the like... over the years, i'd say i've gone through 9 wrangler windshields, so a worthwhile investment likely.
i used to be addicted to soap, but i'm clean now