Author Topic: What did you do to your car today?  (Read 3013618 times)

Offline Gurgie

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-518
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Honda Passport Touring
Re: What did you do to your car today?
« Reply #6500 on: January 10, 2017, 11:07:52 am »
Not me, but my mechanic.

Rear suspension & front pieces as well by the looks of it? What are you replacing?

Also, tell him to take it easy on those Henekin's if he's going under your car  :rofl:
You live everyday. You only die once....

Offline Firm

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +232/-1072
  • Urban Hick
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 XKR, 2007 DTS, 2006 Escalade, 2000 Sonoma ZQ8,1996 Firebird, 1996 Firebird Formula, 1985 Trans Am, 1984 Camaro, 1978 MGB x2
« Reply #6501 on: January 10, 2017, 11:19:39 am »
I have a couple of NOCO battery tenders too.
Interestingly enough, mine won't charge a dead battery.  I left the door ajar on our Chevy Tracker for 3 days, which killed our fairly new Crappy Tire battery.  I hooked up my battery tender and left it on for 24 hours, thinking it would bring the battery back to where I could start the car.
Didn't happen.
I ended up using my little emergency battery pack booster.  The Tracker fired right up and I took the car for a long drive on the highway to charge the battery.
When I got back home I hooked the battery tender back up (battery showed 25%) and the next day the battery was back to fully charged.

That's "no spark" tech. A lot of the new "smart" chargers, like BT and Noco will not put power to the clamps until they detect that a battery is correctly hooked up. This is a safety feature to prevent the clamps from sparking and causing fires or explosions (hydrogen gas from batteries is explosive!)
Each brand/model of charger has a different minimum voltage threshold - in this case your tracker battery was discharged below the minimum voltage (usually around 0.5-1V) so the charger didn't detect it, and therefore wouldn't charge. What you did is the correct solution; attach another battery (or booster) to boost the voltage a bit, then hook up the charger.

Solstice; it sound like your situation is a bit different. The charger was on and charging, but a camper battery is typically pretty big, and a NOCO G1100 is only 1.1A (or close). It would take days, maybe close to a week for a charger that small to fully charge a depleted camper battery back up to full.

For example; when I brought the Camaro SS home, the battery in it was totally flat, I hooked it up to my Ctek 3300 (3.3A) and it took about 2 days for it to come back to a full charge.

Something with an output as low as the G1100 is best on powersport batteries (smaller), or as a maintainer on larger batteries (cars, campers, boats, etc).

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +245/-468
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Hyundai Entourage, 2007 Buick Lucerne
« Reply #6502 on: January 10, 2017, 11:44:10 am »
I have a couple of NOCO battery tenders too.
Interestingly enough, mine won't charge a dead battery.  I left the door ajar on our Chevy Tracker for 3 days, which killed our fairly new Crappy Tire battery.  I hooked up my battery tender and left it on for 24 hours, thinking it would bring the battery back to where I could start the car.
Didn't happen.
I ended up using my little emergency battery pack booster.  The Tracker fired right up and I took the car for a long drive on the highway to charge the battery.
When I got back home I hooked the battery tender back up (battery showed 25%) and the next day the battery was back to fully charged.

That's "no spark" tech. A lot of the new "smart" chargers, like BT and Noco will not put power to the clamps until they detect that a battery is correctly hooked up. This is a safety feature to prevent the clamps from sparking and causing fires or explosions (hydrogen gas from batteries is explosive!)
Each brand/model of charger has a different minimum voltage threshold - in this case your tracker battery was discharged below the minimum voltage (usually around 0.5-1V) so the charger didn't detect it, and therefore wouldn't charge. What you did is the correct solution; attach another battery (or booster) to boost the voltage a bit, then hook up the charger.

Solstice; it sound like your situation is a bit different. The charger was on and charging, but a camper battery is typically pretty big, and a NOCO G1100 is only 1.1A (or close). It would take days, maybe close to a week for a charger that small to fully charge a depleted camper battery back up to full.

For example; when I brought the Camaro SS home, the battery in it was totally flat, I hooked it up to my Ctek 3300 (3.3A) and it took about 2 days for it to come back to a full charge.

Something with an output as low as the G1100 is best on powersport batteries (smaller), or as a maintainer on larger batteries (cars, campers, boats, etc).

I will keep that in mind.  IIRC, it's one of the Motomaster Nautilus series.

Offline aquadorhj

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +271/-265
    • View Profile
  • Cars: MB SLK 55, Lexus NX, E46 M3, Honda Fit, VW Jetta, VW Rabbit, Saturn SC, Nissan NX,
« Reply #6503 on: January 10, 2017, 12:11:48 pm »
Not me, but my mechanic.

Rear suspension & front pieces as well by the looks of it? What are you replacing?

Also, tell him to take it easy on those Henekin's if he's going under your car  :rofl:

Rear subframe/subframe mount, diff mount, diff cover, caliper carrier brackets and rear control arms?
why the overhaul on the rear on your m3?

Driving thrills makes my wallet lighter.. and therefore makes me faster because i'm shedding weight... :D

Offline normancw

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +125/-132
    • View Profile
« Reply #6504 on: January 11, 2017, 12:32:11 am »

Rear subframe/subframe mount, diff mount, diff cover, caliper carrier brackets and rear control arms?

The project started off with reinforcing the rear subframe, a known weakness of E46 coupes.

Then we decided to go further while we were there (solid diff and subframe bushings, suspension refresh with new lower control arms, upgrade up from KW V3 to AST 5300 3-way adjustable coilovers, CSL brake calipers and larger discs, brake ducts, weight reduction...). 

Don't fight it.  The sooner you get it the better.
― rrocket

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7213
    • View Profile
« Reply #6505 on: January 11, 2017, 12:47:27 am »

The project started off with reinforcing the rear subframe, a known weakness of E46 coupes.

Then we decided to go further while we were there (solid diff and subframe bushings, suspension refresh with new lower control arms, upgrade up from KW V3 to AST 5300 3-way adjustable coilovers, CSL brake calipers and larger discs, brake ducts, weight reduction...). 

An issue on the Z4 too isn't it?
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline normancw

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #6506 on: January 11, 2017, 01:38:34 am »

An issue on the Z4 too isn't it?

Yep.

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-574
  • Profesional Dash Stroker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Tundra, GTI, Triumph Tiger, KTM, C63 AMG, FZ-09, Triumph Speed Triple, VW Golf Wagon TDI, BMW 535i, Honda CRF250L, Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Mitsubishi Outlander, Lotus Exige, Subaru Impreza, Peugeot 106, BMW Z4, Toyota MR2 MKIII, Ford Sierra Sapphire
« Reply #6507 on: January 11, 2017, 12:52:46 pm »

Awesome, good job!

Choosing a car based on reliability is like choosing a wife based solely because she is punctual. There is more to it than that...

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #6508 on: January 11, 2017, 06:28:56 pm »
Changed the front brakes on the LS today.  Honestly, the easiest brake pad change ever.  It's ridiculous.  Pull one pin, pull pads, put in new pads, replace pin.  It was stupid how easy it was.  I was able to compress all 4 pistons in the calipers while leaving it on with my amazing ratchet brake pad spreader.  And the pads I used required no anti-squeal (not sure about this part).

I'd be surprised if it took 10 minutes per side total.

If only all cars were so easy.

Also, the LS430 calipers are massive and would make a great "big brake" upgrade kit for many cars.

« Last Edit: January 11, 2017, 06:35:23 pm by rrocket »

Offline normancw

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #6509 on: January 11, 2017, 07:32:41 pm »
Changed the front brakes on the LS today.  Honestly, the easiest brake pad change ever.  It's ridiculous.  Pull one pin, pull pads, put in new pads, replace pin.  It was stupid how easy it was.  I was able to compress all 4 pistons in the calipers while leaving it on with my amazing ratchet brake pad spreader.  And the pads I used required no anti-squeal (not sure about this part).

I'd be surprised if it took 10 minutes per side total.

If only all cars were so easy.

Also, the LS430 calipers are massive and would make a great "big brake" upgrade kit for many cars.

Those calipers look new!  How old is your car again?

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #6510 on: January 11, 2017, 07:42:17 pm »
^2004

I though so too.  Must be a coating on them.  Not a spec of rust on any caliper.

FWIW, brake/caliper specs: 315mm and caliper are 4x42mm piston.  To compare, my Supra were 323mm and 4x38mm.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2017, 07:46:47 pm by rrocket »

Offline Gurgie

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #6511 on: January 12, 2017, 08:50:47 am »
Put the Thule on last night, ready to take the family skiing this weekend now ;D

Sent from my SM-G850W using Tapatalk

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #6512 on: January 12, 2017, 09:23:15 am »
WOW, the 4 wheel ability is great , you can drive  on walls like the batmoblie   :o  :rofl2:

Offline Gurgie

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #6513 on: January 12, 2017, 09:27:53 am »
WOW, the 4 wheel ability is great , you can drive  on walls like the batmoblie   :o  :rofl2:

Super sticky Toyo's!  :rofl:  :rofl:

Damn cell phone pics when they load up using Taptalk, they're correctly orientated on my phone  :banghead:

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #6514 on: January 12, 2017, 09:34:00 am »

Super sticky Toyo's!  :rofl:  :rofl:

Damn cell phone pics when they load up using Taptalk, they're correctly orientated on my phone  :banghead:
It is crazy the way they get posted sometimes

Offline KD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +359/-263
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Frontier Pro-4X, 2013 Lexus GS-350
« Reply #6515 on: January 12, 2017, 11:16:04 am »
Put the Thule on last night, ready to take the family skiing this weekend now ;D

Sent from my SM-G850W using Tapatalk

How many kegs can you fit in that thing?  ;D

Offline Firm

• Car Crazy
  • Urban Hick
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 XKR, 2007 DTS, 2006 Escalade, 2000 Sonoma ZQ8,1996 Firebird, 1996 Firebird Formula, 1985 Trans Am, 1984 Camaro, 1978 MGB x2
« Reply #6516 on: January 21, 2017, 05:51:29 pm »
Took advantage of the warm (yet damp and foggy) weather to give the Escalade a good mid-season clean up. Washed it, hosed the underside, scrubbed the mats, waxed the rims (I hate running chrome in the winter), washed the cupholders, etc.

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +245/-468
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Hyundai Entourage, 2007 Buick Lucerne
« Reply #6517 on: January 21, 2017, 09:04:25 pm »
Took advantage of the warm (yet damp and foggy) weather to give the Escalade a good mid-season clean up. Washed it, hosed the underside, scrubbed the mats, waxed the rims (I hate running chrome in the winter), washed the cupholders, etc.

Every time the weather warms up and I want to do that, the car is gone for a couple of days.  I tidy up the van once a week on the inside.  But the car gets neglected, as she takes it to work. 

Offline Firm

• Car Crazy
  • Urban Hick
    • View Profile
« Reply #6518 on: January 22, 2017, 07:01:36 pm »
^Yep, that makes it tough.

It's that time of year where I start itching to get back into the car stuff....but I know the mild weather will be short lived, so I won't dig into any projects. I did pump the tire pressures in the SS up to 40psi all around; I forgot to check them when I 'stored' the car, and when I checked them today they were all at 25psi.

Oh, I also fixed a 12V outlet in the Escalade, the contact point at the bottom was dirty/crusty so sometimes you'd plug in your device and it would take some wiggling before it made good contact. Pulled the socket out, cleaned it up with some steel wool and put it back together, works perfect now.

Offline aquadorhj

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +271/-265
    • View Profile
  • Cars: MB SLK 55, Lexus NX, E46 M3, Honda Fit, VW Jetta, VW Rabbit, Saturn SC, Nissan NX,
« Reply #6519 on: January 26, 2017, 06:35:33 pm »
Drove my bimmer first time in a month.  5 degrees, road is relatively clean, perfect condition. 

Stupid car was understeering everytime i took a corner hard... Too much dust.