Author Topic: What did you do to your car today?  (Read 3013839 times)

Offline mlin32

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +65/-419
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Peugeot 308 GT; 2015 Yamaha YZF-R3
Re: What did you do to your car today?
« Reply #6420 on: December 12, 2016, 11:03:35 pm »
Actually, my company supplies the oil quality sensor. So it exists. Furthermore, it is stated in the technical handbook.

For sure, the oil quality sensor is not the sole determinant of the approximative oil life left, but it is one factor in the computer's determination.

If you consider that most of my mileage is on free-flowing roads at highway or autobahn speed, the wear and tear I put on the engine is relatively low compared to suburban stop-and-go.

But I'm not imposing my opinion on anyone.
ø cons: Peugeot 308: Yamaha R3 [/URL]

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-6812
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #6421 on: December 12, 2016, 11:33:18 pm »
For sure, the oil quality sensor is not the sole determinant of the approximative oil life left, but it is one factor in the computer's determination.

That "sensor" is just BS.  It's primarily a low level electrical warning device that replaces the traditional dip stick and causes owners endless headaches as it's highly prone to failure and leaks.  It's idiotic.  Marked the beginning of BMWs earning the rep to be only owned under factory bumper to bumper warranty.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7213
    • View Profile
« Reply #6422 on: December 12, 2016, 11:41:22 pm »
With gritted teeth, I put a new battery in the Forester.
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline Scaerio

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +193/-127
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2013 Volvo C30 T5; all my exes: 2005 Suzuki Aerio SE, '02 Renault Clio, '93 Volvo 850 GLT, '78 MB W-123 230
« Reply #6423 on: December 13, 2016, 07:00:40 pm »
Swore and yelled at it again.  The bromance may be ending...  As advised by the folks who shampooed the interior about a week ago, when the weather has allowed (i.e. nothing falling from the sky) I have been driving with the heat in the footwell on blast and the sunroof tilted (not fully open) to ensure it dries out completely.  So tonight I leave work, tilt the sunroof, and head home.  I get home and the f@cking sunroof won't close!!!  So tomorrow starts with a dentist appointment and a call to Carling Volvo...  AAARRRGGGHHH!!!
« Last Edit: December 13, 2016, 07:51:33 pm by Scaerio »
I'd rather be car-poor than house-poor...

Offline pi314

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +59/-95
    • View Profile
  • Cars: VW Golf Sportwagen 4Motion 6MT ;Dearly Departed 2015 Honda Fit EX 6MT
« Reply #6424 on: December 13, 2016, 07:37:15 pm »
Sounds like you should reconsider that V60  ???  ;D

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #6425 on: December 13, 2016, 07:52:38 pm »
Oil change. Because it was above freezing and I am OCD about the "Service soon!" light that pops upon startup.

Of course, the cap for the oil filter is at my parents' house. But changed the oil anyway, told them to just give it to me in a couple weeks when we meet and I'll change the filter then.

Oil has 27 550km on it, going to send it off for oil analysis to see what condition it is in. To be fair, since its last change I've put in 3 litres to top off everytime it consumes/leaks some. Also took off the underbelly pan to just slightly clean up the mess left over from the ongoing leak- this took an hour because it's 16 (!!) screws.

Sorry just can't leave this one alone  :)

What's with the "27 500km"  ???   Are you meaning 27,500km as in 27 thousand, five hundred kilometers? ... between OIL CHANGES and you are running the new oil thru an oil filter that has 27,500 km worth of junk in it  ???

That's nightmare material.  :rofl2:

No problem with an Amsoil filter!   :thumbup:   ;D

Offline Scaerio

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2013 Volvo C30 T5; all my exes: 2005 Suzuki Aerio SE, '02 Renault Clio, '93 Volvo 850 GLT, '78 MB W-123 230
« Reply #6426 on: December 14, 2016, 12:26:00 am »
Sounds like you should reconsider that V60  ???  ;D

What? And buy another FSCBC (Fackin Swedish-Chinese-Belgian Car) with even more electric gadgets to go wrong?    ;D

I went out about 2 hours later to go to the gym, and managed to get it to close, but it was touch and go.  Still gonna call Carling tomorrow.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2016, 07:03:24 am by Scaerio »

Offline Scaerio

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #6427 on: December 21, 2016, 03:02:00 pm »
Not today but last Thursday after work -- gave it a huf and comforted it - some asshat backed into it and shagged up the back bumper.  No metal damage, praise the Lord.  Anyway, consulted with the dealer today when I brought it in to look at the sunroof issue, and they said I might as well wait for the spring for the repair in case someone else has a smack at 'er before winter is out.

Most folks go through the terrible 2s with their little one, I'm dealing with a case if the terrible 3s...

Offline Bubba

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +382/-442
  • Vice President, Autos.ca Arizona Operations
    • View Profile
    • My photo site
  • Cars: 2013 Toyota Corolla LE
« Reply #6428 on: December 21, 2016, 04:33:50 pm »
Boosted my car with this earlier today.  Battery was dead when I returned from vacation last night.  Worked like a charm.  I think I left an interior light on. 

My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government. - Thomas Jefferson

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #6429 on: December 21, 2016, 05:34:09 pm »
Boosted my car with this earlier today.  Battery was dead when I returned from vacation last night.  Worked like a charm.  I think I left an interior light on. 

Come on, man!

You should know from being at the track that you need one of these on your bumper to prevent that from happening!   :rofl: :rofl2:

Offline Bubba

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +382/-442
  • Vice President, Autos.ca Arizona Operations
    • View Profile
    • My photo site
  • Cars: 2013 Toyota Corolla LE
« Reply #6430 on: December 21, 2016, 06:00:08 pm »

Come on, man!

You should know from being at the track that you need one of these on your bumper to prevent that from happening!   :rofl: :rofl2:

:rofl2:

Offline 5 Wheel Drive

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +88/-20
    • View Profile
  • Cars: My Mazda fleet: 2014 CX9 GS, 2013 Mazda 3 GX, 1997 Miata
« Reply #6431 on: December 22, 2016, 08:15:49 am »
Not today but last Thursday after work -- gave it a huf and comforted it - some asshat backed into it and shagged up the back bumper.  No metal damage, praise the Lord.  Anyway, consulted with the dealer today when I brought it in to look at the sunroof issue, and they said I might as well wait for the spring for the repair in case someone else has a smack at 'er before winter is out.

Most folks go through the terrible 2s with their little one, I'm dealing with a case if the terrible 3s...
That sucks!  Someone did the same to the CX9 not too long ago.  At least It was the unpainted plastic part and I was able to pop it back out myself.
"This is no Playstation, this.  There is no reset button if you get it wrong.  You just go through the pearly gates...on fire!"   -Jeremy Clarkson

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #6432 on: December 22, 2016, 11:09:31 pm »
Put a new caliper on the IS300 the other morning.

Offline BWII

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +188/-376
    • View Profile
« Reply #6433 on: December 24, 2016, 12:31:06 am »
Not my car, but my kids car.  Installed Roush mufflers today (that was fun).   :o  Holy. Shi#!! Those are NOT quiet, at all.  He started it up after we were done and my wife said the 3 of us boys looked like idiots.  ;D  All had this big ass shi7 eating grin...damn!  ;D What a beautiful noise!  His neighbours will hate him.  :P I wonder how many cops will like him.  Give it some revs and it goes all Rice Krispies on you. 

Maybe I should put one on the Sonic...that would sound half as good, right?  :rofl2:

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2121
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2020 Toyota Tundra, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #6434 on: December 24, 2016, 01:53:02 am »
Not my car, but my kids car.  Installed Roush mufflers today (that was fun).   :o  Holy. Shi#!! Those are NOT quiet, at all.  He started it up after we were done and my wife said the 3 of us boys looked like idiots.  ;D  All had this big ass shi7 eating grin...damn!  ;D What a beautiful noise!  His neighbours will hate him.  [emoji14] I wonder how many cops will like him.  Give it some revs and it goes all Rice Krispies on you. 

Maybe I should put one on the Sonic...that would sound half as good, right?  :rofl2:
No videos or sound clips?!?!?!?!

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

Lighten up Francis.....

Offline Lower Level

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +40/-82
  • Roadrash
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 1985 Oldsmobile Delta 88 Royale, 1989 Dodge B250 aka The BEAST.
« Reply #6435 on: December 24, 2016, 02:29:57 am »
Not my car, but my kids car.  Installed Roush mufflers today (that was fun).   :o  Holy. Shi#!! Those are NOT quiet, at all.  He started it up after we were done and my wife said the 3 of us boys looked like idiots.  ;D  All had this big ass shi7 eating grin...damn!  ;D What a beautiful noise!  His neighbours will hate him.  :P I wonder how many cops will like him.  Give it some revs and it goes all Rice Krispies on you. 

Needs a V8 to sound right. It got a V8?  :rofl2:

Yes sound clips.....

Love my Olds when I drive it as it has no mufflers at all, straight piped from the cat converter back. Only downside is I tend not to take it into the GTA. BWAHAHAHAHAAA!!!

Van WAS straight [piped but got paranoid. Had Cherry Bombs but not much quieter then straights, sooooo.....now is quieter with a Magnaflow. Quieter than when I bought it actually. lol. But the vehicle I use to go into the city because of it.

Great story too as cars are supposed to be FUN and the noises they make are part of that. My wife does not even have a license but both her and our daughter love the Olds and the noise it makes. The girls call it "The coolest car at our school" as most parents show up in boring SUVS and minivans.......Funny thing, I even had a kid very politely ask me if he could take a picture of "Your sweet van". just when I was thinking of selling the old iron and buying a "normal" car like a Camry........... :rofl2:
Den
Reporter: "How does it feel being Henry Ford II?"
HF II: "I wouldn't know, I've never been anyone else."

Offline Dante

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +33/-97
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 VW GTI DSG, 2011 BMW 328i xDrive 6MT, 2007 Mitsubishi Outlander
« Reply #6436 on: December 24, 2016, 09:31:18 am »
First oil change on the GTI. $100+ tax in about 30 min including a quick car wash. Service wad pretty good and the dealer is only few min from my house which is a bonus.

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #6437 on: December 24, 2016, 09:48:12 am »
First oil change on the GTI. $100+ tax in about 30 min including a quick car wash. Service wad pretty good and the dealer is only few min from my house which is a bonus.
:o

Offline BWII

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +188/-376
    • View Profile
« Reply #6438 on: December 24, 2016, 11:34:06 am »
Not my car, but my kids car.  Installed Roush mufflers today (that was fun).   :o  Holy. Shi#!! Those are NOT quiet, at all.  He started it up after we were done and my wife said the 3 of us boys looked like idiots.  ;D  All had this big ass shi7 eating grin...damn!  ;D What a beautiful noise!  His neighbours will hate him.  [emoji14] I wonder how many cops will like him.  Give it some revs and it goes all Rice Krispies on you. 

No videos or sound clips?!?!?!?!

I put one on my phone, if I can figure out how to get it to my photobucket, I'll do it.  It's frickin' loud.  3000 rpm and you can hear it 4+ blocks from home.  RCMP as new neighbour...hope he doesn't hate loud cars.  :P :-\ :popo: :cp2: :bang:

Offline Dante

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +33/-97
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 VW GTI DSG, 2011 BMW 328i xDrive 6MT, 2007 Mitsubishi Outlander
« Reply #6439 on: December 24, 2016, 01:29:39 pm »
:o

Ha, ha..... expensive, eh?! Pretty much the norm for synthetic oil change at the dealer, give or take few bucks and it is very close to the price you would pay if DIY.  It takes 6L (5.7 L to be exact) of synthetic 5W-40, plus the filter, O-ring, plug and you are looking at $80-$90 +tax.

« Last Edit: December 24, 2016, 01:49:24 pm by carcrazy »