Author Topic: What did you do to your car today?  (Read 3014078 times)

Online Gurgie

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-518
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Honda Passport Touring
Re: What did you do to your car today?
« Reply #6300 on: November 21, 2016, 09:26:19 am »
Busy car day on Saturday.  Put winter wheels on the 3 and the CX9.  Washed and put away the summers.  Changed the oil & filter in the Miata.  Gave it a quick clean up, and covered it up for the winter.

I'm liking the used alloys I bought for winter duty for the 3.  Looks better than my old rusty black steelies, and noticeably lighter.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

Those winters look great!!

I had my boys put the winters on the GF's Mini yesterday, while it was snowing... while I supervised  :rofl2:  And while she took pictures from inside the house   :rofl:

You live everyday. You only die once....

Offline Firm

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +232/-1072
  • Urban Hick
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 XKR, 2007 DTS, 2006 Escalade, 2000 Sonoma ZQ8,1996 Firebird, 1996 Firebird Formula, 1985 Trans Am, 1984 Camaro, 1978 MGB x2
« Reply #6301 on: November 21, 2016, 09:40:33 am »
^HA! Nice work. Yesterday (here at least) was a terrible day, crazy winds. I went outside for about 5 minutes, said "F this :censor:" and went back in.

Online Gurgie

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #6302 on: November 21, 2016, 09:50:57 am »
^HA! Nice work. Yesterday (here at least) was a terrible day, crazy winds. I went outside for about 5 minutes, said "F this :censor:" and went back in.

It got worse as the day went on here, I spent about 4hrs outside all together. After we finished the tires I installed another tire rack in the garage for the Mini's tires, then put a bunch of stuff away in the shed, organized the garage a bit more, cut up 5 skids to use for kindling... pretty busy day overall.

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +245/-468
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Hyundai Entourage, 2007 Buick Lucerne
« Reply #6303 on: November 21, 2016, 09:51:20 am »

Decent day, compared to other parts in the country.  Neighbour asked me to do her leaves when I had time.  Well I had time yesterday, so I did 10 bags (only because I ran out), still need 4.  They suck up the ones out front when blown in a pile at the curb.  But these were all in the back, putting them on tarp would be too difficult with the wind. 

But you need your rest!

Today is colder and more wind then yesterday!

Offline Firm

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +232/-1072
  • Urban Hick
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 XKR, 2007 DTS, 2006 Escalade, 2000 Sonoma ZQ8,1996 Firebird, 1996 Firebird Formula, 1985 Trans Am, 1984 Camaro, 1978 MGB x2
« Reply #6304 on: November 21, 2016, 09:55:59 am »

Decent day, compared to other parts in the country.  Neighbour asked me to do her leaves when I had time.  Well I had time yesterday, so I did 10 bags (only because I ran out), still need 4.  They suck up the ones out front when blown in a pile at the curb.  But these were all in the back, putting them on tarp would be too difficult with the wind. 

But you need your rest!

Today is colder and more wind then yesterday!

Yes, but other than the sketchy drive in, I am sitting cozy and warm in my office :)

Offline mlin32

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +65/-419
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Peugeot 308 GT; 2015 Yamaha YZF-R3
« Reply #6305 on: November 21, 2016, 10:53:29 am »
I had my boys put the winters on the GF's Mini yesterday, while it was snowing... while I supervised  :rofl2:  And while she took pictures from inside the house   :rofl:
That's why I changed mine after work, in the dark on Friday. On Saturday it was 7° max with warning of high winds, sustained all day 50 up to 70km/h gusts. "Glad I went thru the trouble last night !"
ø cons: Peugeot 308: Yamaha R3 [/URL]

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +774/-2132
  • This forum is making me almost as bitter as SirO
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '23 Mazda CX-50 Turbo; '24 Crosstrek Wilderness
« Reply #6306 on: November 21, 2016, 12:27:38 pm »
Loving it!

The Forester got its boots put on Nov 10, and the Corolla, sleeping away without much use, gets its ageing (on their 7th season :|) Xi2s put on Nov 26th - Green/Ross does 'em for free since we bought them there.

On Saturday, knowing that the temp was going to dip lower for the remainder of the season, I reapplied RainX to both cars.  Man, I owe Ron a beer for telling me to read the facking label and use water to remove the foggy residue rather than just buffing 'er dry.  Did all exterior windows on both cars in about 20 mins, whereas it used to take me about an hour each.

Story about the Forester:
Last week (Wednesday), the wife was brilliant enough to sit in the Forester at work with the ignition set to "ON" but the engine off.  This continued for 15 mins while on the phone with her mother, with the headlights on, heated seats on, and the fan on "auto" (despite no new engine heat).  She ran inside work to get something, and then on coming out, "NO-SAN, MY CAR WON'T START!"  Of course, I figured the cause out only after I called roadside (free with my BMO credit card).

So my brilliant wife refuses to back into parking spots despite many fights over same.  When roadside came, they had to put the Forester into neutral and push it back (blocking the parking lot) so that the car could be jumped.

The experience really re-ignited the whole "do I buy that Noco Genius Boost 40 on sale at Canadian Tire" debate again.

Since the battery is otherwise good and we've had no trouble since, I see no reason to get one for the Forester.

...but now I'm wondering if it makes sense to get one for the Corolla, which sits for up to a week or two at a time during the winter months (in a covered, albeit unheated garage).  The battery is the OEM on a 2010 Corolla with 98,000km.

Thoughts?

Online Gurgie

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #6307 on: November 21, 2016, 01:02:19 pm »
So my brilliant wife refuses to back into parking spots despite many fights over same.  When roadside came, they had to put the Forester into neutral and push it back (blocking the parking lot) so that the car could be jumped.

The experience really re-ignited the whole "do I buy that Noco Genius Boost 40 on sale at Canadian Tire" debate again.

Since the battery is otherwise good and we've had no trouble since, I see no reason to get one for the Forester.

...but now I'm wondering if it makes sense to get one for the Corolla, which sits for up to a week or two at a time during the winter months (in a covered, albeit unheated garage).  The battery is the OEM on a 2010 Corolla with 98,000km.

Thoughts?

I hear you on the backing into parking spots!! Notice that the Mini is forward into the driveway & my GC is backed in  :rofl2:

If you don't have access to anything else to get your car going, then having the booster pack would come in handy I suppose. However, if you're stranded outside at dinner or some place, there's always someone around to give you a boost. But, if it's on sale, then why not for the piece of mind  ;D

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #6308 on: November 21, 2016, 01:21:56 pm »
In both the Prius and BMW the battery is in the trunk , so I guess we better not back in  :rofl2:

Offline mlin32

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #6309 on: November 21, 2016, 02:01:36 pm »
In both the Prius and BMW the battery is in the trunk , so I guess we better not back in  :rofl2:
The jump terminals for the BMW are underneath the bonnet/hood though.

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +774/-2132
  • This forum is making me almost as bitter as SirO
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '23 Mazda CX-50 Turbo; '24 Crosstrek Wilderness
« Reply #6310 on: November 22, 2016, 03:12:29 pm »
Also in the Prius.

The query is whether or not I'd get any use out of the booster pack beyond this year, and since I don't need the car typically (we could easily share the one car since I bus to/from work), if I ever went to start it and it wouldn't, I could call roadside to boost it at my convenience.

I'm amazed that some folks do have booster cables, but I've never had them in any of my cars, nor has my wife or her family...In her workplace, which has over 150 employees, only one guy had cables (and knew how to use them).

The booster pack seems like a decent buy, but I think I'll just leave it for now.

Offline tortoise

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +236/-453
    • View Profile
« Reply #6311 on: November 22, 2016, 03:16:26 pm »
I'd just buy a new battery for the Corolla if you're worried about it.  Probably the same price as the booster, if not cheaper.
Only the slow and dim know where they're going in life, and seldom is it worth the trip. - Tom Robbins.

Online Gurgie

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #6312 on: November 22, 2016, 03:19:23 pm »
I'd just buy a new battery for the Corolla if you're worried about it.  Probably the same price as the booster, if not cheaper.

Or just drive the darn thing!!!   :rofl: 

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-574
  • Profesional Dash Stroker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Tundra, GTI, Triumph Tiger, KTM, C63 AMG, FZ-09, Triumph Speed Triple, VW Golf Wagon TDI, BMW 535i, Honda CRF250L, Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Mitsubishi Outlander, Lotus Exige, Subaru Impreza, Peugeot 106, BMW Z4, Toyota MR2 MKIII, Ford Sierra Sapphire
« Reply #6313 on: November 22, 2016, 04:25:07 pm »
Also in the Prius.

The query is whether or not I'd get any use out of the booster pack beyond this year, and since I don't need the car typically (we could easily share the one car since I bus to/from work), if I ever went to start it and it wouldn't, I could call roadside to boost it at my convenience.

I'm amazed that some folks do have booster cables, but I've never had them in any of my cars, nor has my wife or her family...In her workplace, which has over 150 employees, only one guy had cables (and knew how to use them).

The booster pack seems like a decent buy, but I think I'll just leave it for now.

I bought new booster cables in Jan, jump started three people already this year!

Choosing a car based on reliability is like choosing a wife based solely because she is punctual. There is more to it than that...

Offline KD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +359/-263
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Frontier Pro-4X, 2013 Lexus GS-350
« Reply #6314 on: November 22, 2016, 09:09:16 pm »
Changed over to the winter wheels and tires on my wife's car tonight.  The tires look like they have at least one winter left in them.  Also put the S2000 to bed for the winter.

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +255/-771
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 BMW 328i Touring, 1998 Jaguar XJR, 2024 Mini Cooper S
« Reply #6315 on: November 23, 2016, 01:02:57 pm »
Was getting gas and took the GTI through a terrible touchless wash. I mean, it's cleaner but only because it was really filthy.

Offline mlin32

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #6316 on: November 23, 2016, 02:23:20 pm »
Was getting gas and took the GTI through a terrible touchless wash. I mean, it's cleaner but only because it was really filthy.
I have yet to find a touchless wash that's effective. But then again, I haven't owned any black cars.....so....small scratches are not blatantly obvious.

In Germany, everyone just uses a normal carwash. I took my rental thru one every couple weeks......woe to the person with a dirty car in the neighbourhood !  :nono:

Offline blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +244/-779
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
  • Cars: and bikes by age:BMW, Porsche, Subaru, Suzuki, Suzuki, Mazda, Jaguar, Kawasaki, Porsche, GMC, Suzuki
« Reply #6317 on: November 23, 2016, 03:12:43 pm »
Also in the Prius.

City folk  :rofl:
I have booster cables in every vehicle, I've used them 3 times in the last month.
Mr Pickypants

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +245/-468
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Hyundai Entourage, 2007 Buick Lucerne
« Reply #6318 on: November 23, 2016, 07:33:00 pm »
Almost ready for winter.  All the lawnmowers in storage mode in the shed.  One of my snow blowers needed servicing, it's a Toro from the 80's, carb is so sensitive.  Seems every 2 years it needs servicing.  The van was about 1k over on the oil change, so I had the winters put on as well. 
The all-seasons were done for, so had them tossed (no charge!)Noticed these Blizzaks are noisier than the Continentals winters I have on the car. 

The Mazda still had another 1k before the oil needed to be changed, but I wanted the winter tires put on.  So I had the oil change done early, and the winter tires put on.  At the 2 year mark, Mazda recommends brake servicing.  Figured what the hell,  not sure how they are, and my wife drives it mostly in the city, so it couldn't hurt.  Was glad to hear 80% remaining on the pads.  I put the summer tires on top of my pop up trailer, that is at my friends garage. 

So the garage is getting pretty empty, instead of having 12 tires in there, and 3 lawn mowers, 2 weed eaters, 2 leaf blowers.  I have 4 tires (the unused oem rims and tires from the Mazda6) and 2 snow blowers.

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #6319 on: November 24, 2016, 11:29:02 am »

Co-worker took his Sierra through a touchless. Truck ended up looking like a dirty zebra.  :P
On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken